RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

carabiner86

Sep 22, 2002, 1:56 AM
Post #1 of 12 (3026 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Teams
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well I've heard a lot around this forum about people going to comps as individuals, but I'm curious if anyone here is on a climbing team.

Our school is one of the few in the state that has one, and I am considering being on it. I have no idea how competitive the competitions are, or anything about being on the team.

Just curious if anyone has any experience

Biner

vaness

Sep 22, 2002, 12:28 PM
Post #2 of 12 (3026 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Teams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i am on a climbing team. its the most un i have had climbing. you meet a lot of really good climbers. you should try it out.

jansuw

Sep 22, 2002, 1:53 PM
Post #3 of 12 (3026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, i don't know if its really a climbing team, but my high school (and the middle school in the same building) have a climbing club. It's great because you get the chance to be with climbers your own age (hard for me otherwise) and helping new climbers with anything from belaying to technique is really satisfying... makes me feel like a good person... We have a competition organized at the school once a year and beating people that you've climbed with for the whole year is great fun, but losing isn't really bad at all... So I think thats great... The teachers who run the club also try to get people to join comps outside of the school but thats not always very succesful

I'd say do it if you can!

carabiner86

Sep 22, 2002, 11:46 PM
Post #4 of 12 (3026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now I know how it is done sort of (in our area, I assume it's the same everywhere though), with 4 routes and you get points for each hold you make, or something like that. But does everyone do the same routes? Or are you divided based on skill level or what?

thanks!

Partner phaedrus

Sep 24, 2002, 2:59 PM
Post #5 of 12 (3026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm actually looking to start a climbing club at my school here in Colorado this year with the goal of turning it into a team next year. (I'm a teacher.)

If anyone has any useful tips or info for me, I'd definitely appreciate it.

Thanks!

carabiner86

Sep 27, 2002, 7:35 PM
Post #6 of 12 (3026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok so just for an update our outdoor director at school knows me really well b/c I'm always at the school wall... so she emailed me about the climbing team and now I'm on it. Hurrah!

Practices start in a week and a half and we compete in Knoxville, TN. If anyone will be there at any comps let me know!

baza_arrampicare

Nov 11, 2002, 6:00 AM
Post #7 of 12 (3026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I swing inbetween my climbing partners and my 'team'. The team is great, a lot of fun to enter competitions with, but you also get a big mixture of people invovled and if you're like me you can't really take climbing with a bunch of people who you don't know that well and/or don't trust. That's why when i head outside for the ice, rock, or mountain i always go with my climbing partners.

baza_arrampicare

Nov 11, 2002, 6:00 AM
Post #8 of 12 (3026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I swing inbetween my climbing partners and my 'team'. The team is great, a lot of fun to enter competitions with, but you also get a big mixture of people invovled and if you're like me you can't really take climbing with a bunch of people who you don't know that well and/or don't trust. That's why when i head outside for the ice, rock, or mountain i always go with my climbing partners.

rckclimbergurl

Nov 12, 2002, 6:50 PM
Post #9 of 12 (3026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm on a climbing team, and I've had a blast right since the beginning! You learn so many neat tricks and moves, and meet really cool people! Anyone who has the chance to be on a team should difinetly go for it. I haven't been to many comps yet, but the ones that I have been to, there was a really friendly atmoshphere, and everybody was encouraging others. So if you have the chance go for it!!! Plus, you get to climb more often, so how could you say no??!!
Tedi

junkie

Nov 22, 2002, 5:41 PM
Post #10 of 12 (3026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best part about the team is the coach. Right Tedi...?

rckclimbergurl

Nov 22, 2002, 7:03 PM
Post #11 of 12 (3026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You got it!! Yup, the coach is the BEST part of the team. Always making you do stuff that you don't want to do (bridges!), making you reapeat everything 5 times, boulder routes till you're so pumped that you can't open a door, (hasn't happened yet!), and making fun of team members. My coach is awesome!

rockrat17

Jan 4, 2003, 9:21 PM
Post #12 of 12 (3026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah. I'm on a team. You get to meet other climbers and the coaches are usually pretty cool. It's fun cuz you get to hang out with other climbers.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook