RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

JakubBujak

Mar 26, 2009, 4:26 PM
Post #1 of 11 (2319 views)
Shortcut

Sample Workout
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I talked to a personal trainer, and he set up this workout for me. Any thoughts, comments, or ideas? In addition to this, I also bought me a rubber grip strengthener that I am using extensively. Thanks in advance for the feedback (providing it is useful of course).

http://spreadsheets.google.com/...6BSvy8wufSDUfGLps8VQ

kaizer27

Apr 1, 2009, 3:03 PM
Post #2 of 11 (2167 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JakubBujak] Sample Workout [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

not bad, I will give you my opinion on it though.

I am a personal trainer, primarily work with athletes..but no rock climbers. While the split he has you on is pretty comprehensive, I would have set it up differently depending on your current level of fitness.

If you are in terrible shape and have never worked out that would be an ok start, if followed by a better split (again IMO) in about six weeks.

What I do not like about it is it seems all over the place, basically a full body workout three times a week. My main disagreement with this type of workout is if you are working out hard and not just going through the motions I do not believe it is giving you adequate rest for your muscles to recover. This is the type of cookie cutter workout that you see in Men's Health and what they teach in most personal trainer certification classes.

Like i mentioned, I have no idea what you spoke with the guy about and what you are trying to achieve but I believe the following split would serve you better and give you a full weeks rest before lifting the same body part again:

day 1: Chest
day 2: Back
day 3: Legs and Shoulders
day 4: bi/tri (optional, these can be done w/chest and back)

Abs to be done either every workout or every other workout.

Like I said, take it for what it is worth. If I can help in any way just shoot me an IM.

edit: couple of notes after looking at it again.

1. That is a lot of volume, especially on the smaller muscles like biceps. No way you need to lift your arms 3 times a week

2. again on volume, that routine will have you in the gym for 2 hours or more

3. several exercises in there that you just do not need IMO.

4. grip training: nothing beats COC gripers, nothing. If you use these grippers as well as doing pinch drills you will develop an unbreakable grip.

5. Lat pulldowns- ditch them, do pull ups

(This post was edited by kaizer27 on Apr 1, 2009, 3:07 PM)

JakubBujak

Apr 1, 2009, 3:23 PM
Post #3 of 11 (2153 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kaizer27] Sample Workout [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the tips: I will definitely try to work them into the current workout.

JamesHonsa

Apr 1, 2009, 7:58 PM
Post #4 of 11 (2116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out www.crossfit.com

Best full body workout you can get in my opinion. Spend less time in the gym, gain lean muscle, and develop functional strength. A lot of the workouts are pretty fun too

jermanimal

Apr 2, 2009, 6:08 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What is your Goal/Objective?

General full-body workout? or climb better?

I think it is really important to understand why you are working out. Have a purpose an a goal. A workout is only as good as your objectives.

Example:

Purpose: "I am lifting because"...I was to be a better climber

Objective or Goal: "measurable and specific milestone"...climb 5.10c this summer

It is a rare person that can stick with a work out with out this reason for lifting.

You have to make sure your Plan, Goal and Purpose are inline to see your goal realized.

newguy5000

Apr 6, 2009, 12:43 AM
Post #6 of 11 (1929 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jermanimal] Sample Workout [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

looka likes a basic beginner program for a newbie who has never lifted before. Its ok for that purpose, mostly muscular endurance and cause ur not lifting heavy it will let you work on form - which is the most important styles :) This will let you build up to harder stuff which it seems it is intenderd to do. Though i agree to much shit in there.

will it help climbing? Only if ur a total climbn noob who started yesterday and is majorally physically weak. And bout all those 'grip strengthnrs' are doing for your climbing is given ur foreamrs a pump. it aint helping ur climbn grip one bit.

i see a lot of noobs with them and im like wtf dude when do you grip a hold like that mans? lols.

anyways. yeah its ok program for a beginner nub and is totally unrelated climbing. for climbing try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOreX6zmohg

JakubBujak

Apr 6, 2009, 2:27 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1870 views)
Shortcut

Re: [newguy5000] Sample Workout [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Congratulations, you have written another post which I will chose to disregard completely.

newguy5000

Apr 6, 2009, 2:46 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JakubBujak wrote:
Congratulations, you have written another post which I will chose to disregard completely.

Fair enough dude. hows this though. Why don't you - in your own words - explain to me how you think squeezing a captains of crush (or any other grip strengther) will improve ur climbn.

because the basic fact is masterbating will have as much effect on ur clibmn grip as that silly gripping tool. I know because i masterbate several times a day and my climbn grade has not improved.

(edit: you disregard my posts yet your sig comes from my post. do understand the word irony? how about hipacritical? lols)

(This post was edited by newguy5000 on Apr 6, 2009, 3:04 PM)

jermanimal

Apr 7, 2009, 2:50 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [newguy5000] Sample Workout [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

new guy sucks

Climbing_Pink

Apr 7, 2009, 2:55 PM
Post #10 of 11 (1790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a personal trainer, and from my personal opinion you are doing way to many different exercises a day.

A weight training program should take you 45 minutes to complete- an hour tops.

This one looks pretty intensive and could lead to injury/over training really quickly,

Just my opinion though

aerili

Apr 9, 2009, 5:19 AM
Post #11 of 11 (1721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with a few things already said here:

1. Too high in volume

2. Too much repetition for the same muscle groups too soon (kind of another way of saying "too high in volume")

3. Some pointless and inane exercises

However, with all due respect, I disagree with the recommendation for the ole chest day, back day, leg day, shoulders day stuff. Not that I have not programmed this way for many a client over the years, but it's more of a recipe for bodybuilders and people who have mainly aesthetics in mind.

It's perfectly okay to do a full body strength workout 2-3 times per week given that it's designed appropriately (which this is not). This is what I do. (I personally would go with 2 days a week max, esp. for a climber.)

Professional strength coach Mike Boyle once wrote about how he finds those "body split" programs to be kind of pointless. Instead of saying, "I am doing chest today," why not just say "I am going to work everything today?" YES, it CAN work! I do this every time.

My other advice:

1. Warm up but do NOT stretch before your workout. Do that after.

2. If you are a climber, throw out all arm curl and wrist curl exercises. Overkill. Edit: reverse arm curls are okay.

3. Do train triceps and some wrist extension. Tri training and wrist extension in moderation is one "isolation" exercise that I think is very good for climbers.

4. It seems like the trainer gave you more upper back lifts than chest lifts. Weird. Remove a portion of the back exercises and insert rotator cuff and scapular stabilizer training instead. All this will be done with relatively light weight. Incorporate some of the Thrower's Ten program for this. Also add this exercise.

5. Oh yeah, do rotator cuff and scapular stabilizer training near the end of your workout, after the bigger lifts. Same with abs. You should not fatigue your shoulder girdle and core "supports" before you need them most.

6. Sit-ups. Ugh. Fill that slot with something else--basic Pilates exercises give you many options for core. I love doing medicine ball slams too, although they don't feel like core. Med ball slams can be used as part of warm up. Really intense, core-specific should be left to the end.

The only other thing you should know is that personal trainers as a group in this country are unregulated and thus the job sadly requires no basic standard. Therefore you get a lot of people off the street "learning" to be a trainer after 2 weeks of shadowing someone else, neither usually having any formal education, certification or degree whatsoever. Really pisses me off, but that's the way it is right now.

(This post was edited by aerili on Apr 9, 2009, 5:20 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook