RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

caleb_danner

Apr 11, 2009, 4:39 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2914 views)
Shortcut

Badlands natinal park
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I will be going home from school and was wondering if their was any climbing at the badlands national park I stopped their with my family a wile back but was not into climbing then. looking for sport and top rope

ladyrockstar

Apr 11, 2009, 5:10 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2895 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caleb_danner] Badlands natinal park [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There's nothing to climb in the Badlands. They're mostly like crumbly mud. You may be able to pick your way up some of the sides, but they're really not like rock. There are some really cool hiking trails, though, and some, like the Notch trail and the Saddle Pass trail are kind of challenging. It's usually a bit hot, and there's very little shade, so dress accordingly, and carry plenty of water. Also, if you have a dog, be aware that they aren't allowed on (or off) any trails, and must stay within 30 feet of the road or parking lot at all times.
I travel through the Badlands several times a year while going between Wisconsin and the Black Hills. I used to hike the trails pretty regularly, but since the dog rules have changed, and since I won't leave my dog in the car while I hike, I'm pretty much confined to roadways. If you hike there, be careful of hollow spaces under the rocks. Since I started going there in '72, a lot of these holes have gotten really big, and some extend under the trails, and they're hard to see because of the way the rocks crumble into them.
But, in answer to your question, no, there's nothing in the Badlands that's good to climb.

caleb_danner

Apr 11, 2009, 5:19 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2889 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ladyrockstar] Badlands natinal park [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ladyrockstar wrote:
There's nothing to climb in the Badlands. They're mostly like crumbly mud. You may be able to pick your way up some of the sides, but they're really not like rock. There are some really cool hiking trails, though, and some, like the Notch trail and the Saddle Pass trail are kind of challenging. It's usually a bit hot, and there's very little shade, so dress accordingly, and carry plenty of water. Also, if you have a dog, be aware that they aren't allowed on (or off) any trails, and must stay within 30 feet of the road or parking lot at all times.
I travel through the Badlands several times a year while going between Wisconsin and the Black Hills. I used to hike the trails pretty regularly, but since the dog rules have changed, and since I won't leave my dog in the car while I hike, I'm pretty much confined to roadways. If you hike there, be careful of hollow spaces under the rocks. Since I started going there in '72, a lot of these holes have gotten really big, and some extend under the trails, and they're hard to see because of the way the rocks crumble into them.
But, in answer to your question, no, there's nothing in the Badlands that's good to climb.

thanks won't be stopping their then

ladyrockstar

Apr 11, 2009, 5:33 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't mean to change your mind about stopping there, The Badlands Park is one of my favorite places. Even if you can't climb, there's a lot of really interesting hiking. And if you're going east on I-90 anyway, you can detour into the Badlands at Wall and come out the east side while only adding an hour or two to your trip, and you'd never regret seeing the views. I know you've been there before, but it must have been a while ago, or you'd remember that they weren't good to climb.

By the way, if you're going east on I-90, I hope you're planning to stop at Devil's Tower. I've been to the top of it and done a lot of climbing there, and it's got some of the best climbing in the world.

Are you a college student? Just curious.

caleb_danner

Apr 11, 2009, 6:42 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ladyrockstar] Badlands natinal park [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ladyrockstar wrote:
I didn't mean to change your mind about stopping there, The Badlands Park is one of my favorite places. Even if you can't climb, there's a lot of really interesting hiking. And if you're going east on I-90 anyway, you can detour into the Badlands at Wall and come out the east side while only adding an hour or two to your trip, and you'd never regret seeing the views. I know you've been there before, but it must have been a while ago, or you'd remember that they weren't good to climb.

By the way, if you're going east on I-90, I hope you're planning to stop at Devil's Tower. I've been to the top of it and done a lot of climbing there, and it's got some of the best climbing in the world.

Are you a college student? Just curious.

yep

will be travailing home

barkandbite

Apr 13, 2009, 2:15 AM
Post #6 of 9 (2781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you could drive a little south and sample some rock at custer state park. love that place! good spire bagging to be had. there are some sport routes and lots of trad. also the mt rushmore area has some more sport routes but not the magic of custer IMHO.
If you go to custer, i'd go to the sylven lake area and hike back to the "outlets". there is an easy sport climb at the end of the lake to warm up on. turkey lander shoot is a fun 5.7 sport route up a spire:) We did another fun 5.8 sport route in the outlets that was fun and long. Others in the area will know WAY more. I stop there for a few days every time i drive west.

Devils tower has great climbing but not if you are looking for top-roping or short sport.

]http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/North_America/United_States/South_Dakota/Custer_State_Park/

ladyrockstar

Apr 13, 2009, 3:15 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2761 views)
Shortcut

Re: [barkandbite] Badlands natinal park [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I spend a lot of time in Custer Park. Actually, I live in my conversion van, and when I'm there, I live at Palmer Creek trailhead. I only have my dog with me, and she's not much of a belayer, so I do a lot of solo TR in that area. I'm too old to do anything really tough, and I need to be able to walk up the backside to set up the TR, but that area is just super for stuff like that.

If you get to do any climbing at Mt. Rushmore, try Stardancer, in the Middle Marker area. It was one of the first outdoor climbs I ever did, and it was also the hardest thing I ever did. Now that I've been to the top of Devil's Tower, though, and done a bit more outdoor climbing, I'd like to do Stardancer again, just to see if it's any easier. But most of the climbing I've done at the Tower has been cracks. I climb there with Frank Sanders, and he's the most patient guy I've ever known. He can always get me to climb just a bit beyond my ability.

If you can go through Spearfish Canyon on your way to Sylvan Lake, it's not much out of the way, and it's worth seeing. It has some climbing, too, but maybe not as accessible as the Needles area. I'm not sure. I live and hike on the Limestone Plateau above the canyon a lot when I'm out there, but I hike a lot more than I climb in that area.

moose_droppings

Apr 13, 2009, 10:52 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, did you just pass through the Rapid City area today on I-90? Driving a green Explorer?

fxgranite

Apr 13, 2009, 10:59 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2707 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From what I remember, it could be fun if you brought ice axes and crampons.

Unethical? Probably...

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook