Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Don't bother
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jovino

May 26, 2009, 5:54 AM
Post #1 of 1 (545 views)
Shortcut

Don't bother  (North_America: United_States: California: Northern_California: Black_Rock_Spire)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just made a trip up to Willits, and while I was up there I went to check out this potential climbing spot.

The rock is dark sedimentary with a lot of flakes and fractures which make it extremely unstable and unsafe to climb on. I spent several hours checking over the main spire which is approximately 30' high. I cleaned and climbed three different routes -- all of which I believe are V0R in difficulty. It is not possible to set up a safe anchor anywhere on the rock due to its unstable nature. The summit is all loose rock with a small manzanita tree growing out of it.

If you *must* check out this spot, here are easier directions:

Enter Willits and head East on E Commercial Road.
E Commercial Road will turn into Hearst Road.
NOTE: There will be a SHARP left turn (15mph) If you miss this turn, then continue forward on Valley Road, then turn Left on Eastside Road then right on Hearst Road)
Hearst Road will turn into Canyon Road and will wind its way up the hill.
Go left at the fork onto Tomki Road.
NOTE: Tomki Road will turn into a gravel road about 1/2 mile after the fork.
Turn right at the "T" intersection onto Hearst Willits Road.
Turn right onto Foster Mountain Road.

Go about 1/8 of a mile and park. The rock will be visible from the road and is only about 50' away.
Google Map Link

Poison Oak is rampant in this area making many of the routes inaccessible. Please do not disturb the plant life in this area and tread lightly.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook