Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

caleb_danner

Jan 30, 2009, 5:59 PM
Post #26 of 71 (2293 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caleb_danner] Majid's thumb story... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

caleb_danner wrote:
irregularpanda wrote:

Don't know.............but unrelated, my buddy hit his thumb with a chainsaw. Removed the distal bone completely. he now has a rubber knuckle, and a tissue donor gave him the new bone that is now the tip of his thumb.

i wish i had pictures, I would share.

I was cutting some logs after a severe winter storm I missed my leg with a chain saw missed my knee cap buy 2 inches the saw was on its way down

I had let go of the trigger and was pulling up on the saw, but it still had momentum going down.
surprisingly it did not do very much damage it ripped threw my jeans an stopped when it hit flesh it took 2 weeks to heal never hurt and no stitches

I praise God that I did not cut off my leg

sry i don't know how to put the image int the thread

I know this now and i'm allot mo careful now

reg

Jan 30, 2009, 7:22 PM
Post #27 of 71 (2244 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Majid's thumb story... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

even though i have aposable thumbs - i'm not smart enough to use them properly. cut the left tip down to the bone at an angle from above the nail to the canter of the nail. you could rock the cap off and see the bone. i had no ins at the time so, i washed it with water and taped it up -now good as new! (time heals all ( most wounds ). ran the other one around a chain driven motor gear drive - virtually tore it off. stupid!!

carabiner96

Jan 30, 2009, 7:29 PM
Post #28 of 71 (2236 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reg] Majid's thumb story... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

i've only got one thumb to cut, so I'd be screwed.

Meanwhile, I like the thumb up butt too tight sphincter story the best..and think it's the most likely.

Partner brent_e

Jan 30, 2009, 7:34 PM
Post #29 of 71 (2233 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Majid's thumb story... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:

Meanwhile, I like the thumb up butt too tight sphincter story the best..and think it's the most likely.

you wouldn't be screwed. you could get someone to make you a mini ice axe thumb. that would be pretty cool.

carabiner96

Jan 30, 2009, 7:36 PM
Post #30 of 71 (2228 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brent_e] Majid's thumb story... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brent_e wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

you wouldn't be screwed. you could get someone to make you a mini ice axe thumb. that would be pretty cool.

ok, yeah, that would be pretty cool. Cool

jakedatc

Jan 30, 2009, 9:28 PM
Post #31 of 71 (2204 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Majid's thumb story... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
There we go again

THE RC BALCK SHEET IS GETTING EXECUTED FOR NOTHING

I fuc*ed up big time and almost cut my thumb off but before I write a report, I would like to let the sucker get better so do not worry guys, I will have it done by mid Feb.

But yet you’re still here posting about everything except your damaged thumb. Curious. . .you must wait for your thumb to heal in order to post about it but it’s well enough to post about other topics.

Copy and paste has little do with actual typing...

carabiner96 wrote:

I dunno.. the amount of shit he pulls out of his ass i don't think anything is in danger of getting stuck.

lostparrot

Jan 30, 2009, 9:56 PM
Post #32 of 71 (2184 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] Majid's thumb story... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bicycles? that has to be a good story

theguy

Jan 30, 2009, 11:29 PM
Post #33 of 71 (2153 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Majid's thumb story... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
...BALCK SHEET IS GETTING EXECUTED ...

. . .you must wait for your thumb to heal in order to post about it but it’s well enough to post about other topics.

Where's your humanity?

The "BALCK SHEET" is waiting until his thumb is healed enough to avoid typos. The poor dear knows how upset rc.commers get when he makes spelling errors, and his injured thumb has caused two in as many words.

Let's all try and be encouraging of the new lamb which is emerging from the chrysalis of the old sheet, I mean sheep.

It's what the baby jesus would do.

adatesman

Jan 31, 2009, 12:45 AM
Post #34 of 71 (2129 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post

carabiner96

Jan 31, 2009, 1:00 AM
Post #35 of 71 (2118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you ever get phantom piece-of-finger?

People ask me all of the time if I get phantom hand. I'm always like....No.

I think it's because you've got to start with one then lose it to get the whole phantom thingy!

dynosore

Jan 31, 2009, 2:05 AM
Post #36 of 71 (2095 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caleb_danner] Majid's thumb story... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caleb_danner wrote:
irregularpanda wrote:

Don't know.............but unrelated, my buddy hit his thumb with a chainsaw. Removed the distal bone completely. he now has a rubber knuckle, and a tissue donor gave him the new bone that is now the tip of his thumb.

I was cutting some logs after a severe winter storm I missed my leg with a chain saw missed my knee cap buy 2 inches the saw was on its way down

I had let go of the trigger and was pulling up on the saw, but it still had momentum going down.
surprisingly it did not do very much damage it ripped threw my jeans an stopped when it hit flesh it took 2 weeks to heal never hurt and no stitches

I did almost the exact same thing. I had a x-brace thing I built that would hold 10-12 pieces of slab wood at a time. Stack the wood in and cut pieces off them all at once. A piece flipped over onto the uncut portion of slab, so I let go of the saw with one hand to flip the piece out of the way, letting the saw swing down in the other hand. The chain was still spinning pretty fast when it hit my jeans. Luckily the fiber bound up the chain but not before the teeth did their work. I used medical tape to close the wound and wrapped it and went back and finished the job. When your legs are freezing you don't feel much, it's when I came in and warmed up that I finally paid the price. I'm much more careful now.

caleb_danner

Jan 31, 2009, 2:51 AM
Post #37 of 71 (2076 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Majid's thumb story... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
caleb_danner wrote:
irregularpanda wrote:

I did almost the exact same thing. I had a x-brace thing I built that would hold 10-12 pieces of slab wood at a time. Stack the wood in and cut pieces off them all at once. A piece flipped over onto the uncut portion of slab, so I let go of the saw with one hand to flip the piece out of the way, letting the saw swing down in the other hand. The chain was still spinning pretty fast when it hit my jeans. Luckily the fiber bound up the chain but not before the teeth did their work. I used medical tape to close the wound and wrapped it and went back and finished the job. When your legs are freezing you don't feel much, it's when I came in and warmed up that I finally paid the price. I'm much more careful now.

yup that is pretty much what happened except that i hit a rotten spot in the log that is what caught my self

AntinJ

Mar 3, 2009, 12:28 AM
Post #38 of 71 (2003 views)
Shortcut

Re: Majid's thumb story... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Has this story been released to the RC.com world yet???

majid_sabet

Mar 3, 2009, 12:51 AM
Post #39 of 71 (1984 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AntinJ] Majid's thumb story... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

AntinJ wrote:
Has this story been released to the RC.com world yet???

not yet

but have not forgot about it

AntinJ

Jun 15, 2009, 6:47 PM
Post #40 of 71 (1790 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Majid's thumb story... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bump???

edge

Jun 15, 2009, 6:52 PM
Post #41 of 71 (1785 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:

And in case you need any encouragement to be careful around bicycles.... I can count fractions with my fingers.

Wow, my left hand looks exactly like that! I lost a fist fight with a 3 HP shaper.

(This post was edited by edge on Jun 15, 2009, 6:57 PM)

desertwanderer81

Jun 15, 2009, 6:55 PM
Post #42 of 71 (1770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
There we go again

THE RC BALCK SHEET IS GETTING EXECUTED FOR NOTHING

I fuc*ed up big time and almost cut my thumb off but before I write a report, I would like to let the sucker get better so do not worry guys, I will have it done by mid Feb.

I think those balck sheets get a bad rap myself.

Aunor

Jun 15, 2009, 9:14 PM
Post #43 of 71 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertwanderer81] Majid's thumb story... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What is the old shop teacher joke?

"Has a rule that reads:

'If someone loses a finger, everyone loses a finger.'"

timd

Jun 16, 2009, 3:46 AM
Post #44 of 71 (1535 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Majid's thumb story... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Fair enough.

For everyone else. While we wait, what do you think happened to Majid's thumb?

Sphincter contraction perhaps

majid_sabet

Jun 16, 2009, 7:02 AM
Post #45 of 71 (1485 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Majid's thumb story... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Better late than never so there we go

On the first week of October 2008, while working on a metal fabrication job, I momentarily lost the grip on the high speed angle cutter and partially cut my thumb off.

Once, I had showed up to the local hospital, doctors confirmed that I separated; Extensor Policies Brevis, at the top and the lower joint of my left thumb, cut several nerves , tissues and muscles in between the extensors as well as cutting the top part of my joint capsule. So, after 30 years of working with all kind of machinery and without any kind of injury, I won the jackpot and fuc*ed my hand pretty good .I left hospital that day in some bandage and marked my calendar for 10 days later to return for a sugury operation. Two weeks later I went back to the hospital for surgery and left the hospital few hours later with my hand in a big fat white cast. Three weeks later (five weeks after the accident), they remove the cast and I was given a shorter hand splint so I could exercise but everything was still felt painful. In March of 2009, I return to Yosemite and partially climbed a 5.11 crack in pain, and in April of 2009, I climbed a 5.12 face with lesser pain but still… my thumb hurt. In May of 2009, I climbed the same 5.11 crack and noticed a big different on how much more I was able to extend my thumb down.

Alright, lesson learned;

1- Industrial tools love meats so you need to pay extreme attention with extra care while working with any type of power tools especially the fast speed cutters/grinders

2- I was not wearing any kind of working leather gloves that day even due to my gloves were right next to me. Gloves would have definably reduced the injury if I knew I was hit by the cutter and the whole thing happened so fast that I did not feel a thing till blood was splashing all over my face. That’s when I knew that I had screwed up big time.

3- Knowing first aid does help even if you are in the urban environment .In my case, I was able to immediately provide first aid to myself at a place where they were no other people to assist me.

4- Positive mental attitude is the best way to fight out injuries and I was not allowing the thumb injury to take me down. Not physically and emotionally even due at first, I have to admit that I thought, I would never get my thumb’s motion back.

5- Doctors and most hospital staffs are extremely knowledgeable in USA, but overall, they are more concern about the liability issues and the corporate policy rather than taking care of their own patient. In eight months since the operation, I did not even get a call from any of them to see how the thumb was doing but I was n’t surprised. They are robot in many ways and programmed to do certain things ……blah blah blah

6- I also discovered that scar tissues get build in between extensors, micro muscles and joint. What limits the thumb movement is the massive tissue built up that acts as glue (liquid concrete as I call it) inside several layers of tissues. To break this glue (internally),massaging the thumb's skin does help but in addition to massaging the thumb, I came up with my own MS trick where I used a clear flat shipping tape and had stick it from the top of my thumb (right below the first joint) to several inches past the last lower joint. The clear tape keeps the upper thumb skin intact and with minimum skin movement and holds the skin together from top to bottom. By extending the thumb up and down, this motion slowly breaks the tissues at the lower muscles right below the skin where everything is bonded. Anyway, I this invention and it helped me to gain much better thumb movement in a much faster time.

7- Warm massage does help but early on exercise is the best.

8- Doctor also mentioned that the best way to damage any extensor is to cut in half like how I did mine. Cutting the extensor in a straight line makes it much easier to sew them by pulling both ends toward each other. This is like cutting a rope in half with a sharp knife vs. cutting a loaded rope with a set of jumars and then trying to sew the individual strings together.

Doctors also mentioned that there are few of extra tendons within each wrist. The few tendons are not in use since we transformed from a monkey to human (kind of ) and they can always use and take these extra tendon to repair damaged tendons . Basically, they cut a section of these un-used tendons and they sew it in between the two broken tendon to extend the damage tendon or replace it.

10 - Doctor mentioned that it may take a year for extensors to become 100% functional but never like day first. I am not surprise nor ever expected 100% but very happy to have the thumb back.

11- After about seven months, I got about 50% of my thumb functions back, but that is good enough to do my most daily jobs.

12- I consider myself extra lucky and I truly believe that this incident was some kind of ex unpaid Karma related so I have no complain what so ever about my injury even due my thumb still hurts.

13- Thirteen is a bad number so always think safety.

Cutting tool

Medical term

Cut area

Four weeks after surgery

Three months later

Extended motion five month after surgery

Seven months later

Left thumb

Right Thumb

Left hitchhike motion

Right hitchhike motion

edit to add photos

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Jun 16, 2009, 6:07 PM)

Alpinisto

Jun 16, 2009, 12:50 PM
Post #46 of 71 (1431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Alright, lesson learned;

1- Industrial tools love meats ...[EDIT]...

That's what the working girls on the Strip said the last time the Outdoor Retailer show was in Vegas... Shocked

Butt seriously, glad you're healing up well, Majid. Thanks for the TR (thumb report).

chadnsc

Jun 16, 2009, 1:07 PM
Post #47 of 71 (1417 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
5- Doctors and most hospital staffs are extremely knowledgeable in USA, but overall, they are more concern about the liability issues and the corporate policy rather than taking care of their own patient. In eight months since the operation, I did not even get a call from any of them to see how the thumb was doing but I was n’t surprised. They are robot in many ways and programmed to do certain things ……blah blah blah

Yup like re-attach your thumb after you nearly cut it off. Crazy

Where you enrolled in physical therapy, did you have follow up visits to your doctor or surgeon?

billcoe_

Jun 16, 2009, 3:57 PM
Post #48 of 71 (1304 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Best thumb story of the year, I give it 2 (still intact) thumbs up from one of Majids compatriots!

wonderwoman

Jun 16, 2009, 4:32 PM
Post #49 of 71 (1270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
They are robot in many ways and programmed to do certain things ……blah blah blah

Yup like re-attach your thumb after you nearly cut it off. Crazy

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic thumb. Majid_Sabet will have that thumb. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

(This post was edited by wonderwoman on Jun 16, 2009, 4:38 PM)

boymeetsrock

Jun 16, 2009, 5:19 PM
Post #50 of 71 (1245 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OUCH !!!

Glad your healing up!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook