Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Looking for "The Garden"
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

guardian_ang3l

Feb 5, 2009, 8:47 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1938 views)
Shortcut

Looking for "The Garden"  (North_America: United_States: Oregon: Willamette_Valley: The_Garden)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm very interested in finding this place. However the directions on here are sadly lacking in clarity. Could someone please give me directions to "the garden" ... how far after the second bridge is the turn off to park?

wishiwasclimbing

May 21, 2009, 2:39 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1831 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guardian_ang3l] Looking for "The Garden" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey. i went today. i dont think i found the main area but i'm pretty sure i foud the armegedeon area. it is behind a fence marked authorized vehicles only. its on the left about 3-4 miles up quartville road. could someone tell me where the main area is?

mikej

Jun 20, 2009, 2:07 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1775 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wishiwasclimbing] Looking for "The Garden" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd definitely like to check this area out. Looks pretty nice.

ire510

Sep 12, 2009, 3:32 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1653 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wishiwasclimbing] Looking for "The Garden" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wishiwasclimbing, if you found the Upper Garden(hopefully leaving your car on the road and hiking the single switchback gravel road up to it) you were almost there. THe upper area has stuff like the Whorf Boulder, Buddha boulder and a couple realllly good boulders tucked way back closer to the cliffband behind the entire area. If you stay on the main quartzville highway just a little further there is a pullout where the river is visible. A minor dear trail takes you to the Cock boulder that kind of divides the two area and has quite a bit of great stuff, but is never clean, the trails are never cleared out, therefore its hardly climbed. A bit more past the riverside pullout the road straightens and if you pay attention to your left hand side you cannot miss the Boat like huge rock that if you check enough websites out and ask around you'll find it to be the only bolted boulder and the centerpiece for a lot of the hard stuff in the Lower Garden. Other than higher likelihood of poison oak, this is really where you want to start. Lots of concentration of problems... A stones throw from the lower garden is the highly visible cliffband right off the road. some 5.13+ lines had dead ropes on them a couple years back. I put up one short gear protected 5.11- in 2004 but it had only one cam, a brass piece and a ballnut, then nothing but face climbing after a short roof. The forest road BEFORE the drive up/walk up for the upper garden will take you to a somewhat undeveloped area that I only remember people going to in 06/07 but it is truly a no-go unless your willing to hike miles because its high on the bluff there and is only drive accessable to loggers/forest service etc...

It doesn't take much to find more rock though. Theres some short pinnacles a couple miles further up the road, and if you go the distance Quartzville crag!. This website even had a thread about Canyon Creek which has a ton of undone towers and boulders.

If you end up going beyond climbing the stuff that was climbed in the 80's 90's, and develop, give me a pm...Hell let me know about what developed stuff you end up doing. THere are some classsic v1's there that make it worth the full body poison oak! ire510@hotmail.com

Peace

P.S. Don't let anyone convince you that FA's are going down in the Upper Lower Garden proper. Anything that survived the 80's was yanked up by a guy named Eric, who beyond living near the area in the 90's 2000's, worked in the surrounding forest land and canvassed the region pretty thoroughly. You can find a bouldering vid of him on youtube doing V-hard stuff at some Portland/Vancouver area bouldering. Think he's called backyardboulderer on youtube?

(This post was edited by ire510 on Sep 12, 2009, 3:38 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook