RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

rainman0915

Jul 7, 2009, 6:28 AM
Post #1 of 24 (2243 views)
Shortcut

super 8 belay device
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i have never used a super 8 but they look really smooth for long belay sessions as long as the climber isnt too heavy.

anyway just wondering peoples opinions on these

ski.ninja

Jul 7, 2009, 9:35 AM
Post #2 of 24 (2197 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rainman0915] super 8 belay device [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This thing? It's a nice little descending device, but I'd only use it to belay in some sort of an emergency. Typically my ATC guide does most of the belay/rappel work. Heck, I'd probably use a munter hitch before I'd use the super 8, but that's just me.

johnwesely

Jul 7, 2009, 12:09 PM
Post #3 of 24 (2153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't do it. It is not a belay device. Using it as such will kink your rope to no end.

shoo

Jul 7, 2009, 12:33 PM
Post #4 of 24 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fig 8s make terrible belay devices. They twist and kink the rope, and don't provide very good braking power without some clunky and inconvenient rigging.

Fig 8's are mainly for rappelling, since they offer a pretty smooth ride.

Tipton

Jul 7, 2009, 1:26 PM
Post #5 of 24 (2130 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] super 8 belay device [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
Don't do it. It is not a belay device. Using it as such will kink your rope to no end.

It IS a belay device, and it doesn't necessarily have to kink your rope. Thread the rope through the small hole just like you would a tube style device and clip a biner through the rope to your belay loop.

The downside of this method is that feeding slack can be a pain. The upside is that if you lock off hard, you really have a tight grip on the rope, like grigri tight.

That said, don't buy it. It's nowhere near as convenient as an ATC.

billcoe_

Jul 7, 2009, 1:30 PM
Post #6 of 24 (2127 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tipton] super 8 belay device [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tipton wrote:
johnwesely wrote:

It IS a belay device, and it doesn't necessarily have to kink your rope. Thread the rope through the small hole just like you would a tube style device and clip a biner through the rope to your belay loop.

The downside of this method is that feeding slack can be a pain. The upside is that if you lock off hard, you really have a tight grip on the rope, like grigri tight.

That said, don't buy it. It's nowhere near as convenient as an ATC.

Ding ding ding ding ding we finally have a winner!!!!!!! You can double the biners with his method and it will feed smoother, that also increase the braking effect as well. And just get an ATC like the winner said, on occasion 8s can open a locked, locking carabiner and you'll die, since they are heavier anyway, why bother:-)

ps, for long single line raps, (single line raps only is all it does well!) the Petzl Stop is not to be believed if you are looking for awesome start there.

Regards

Bill

flippy04

Jul 7, 2009, 1:46 PM
Post #7 of 24 (2115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

They're hell-of-a good for belaying...better than a spatula. Can also dub as a blunt force weapon for hand to hand combat, a lightning rod, and a dildo.

robbovius

Jul 7, 2009, 1:53 PM
Post #8 of 24 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rainman0915 wrote:
i have never used a super 8 but they look really smooth for long belay sessions as long as the climber isnt too heavy.

anyway just wondering peoples opinions on these

I got one, just to try it out (I'm a gearhead, I want to try ALL the gear) and have belayed a couple climbers with it, and done a couple raps. it's okay, you CAN belay with it, but it doesn't feed or take up rope smoothly, and it does twist the rope, about as bad a a munter.

tellingly, mine hnow lives clipped to the top bar of my exterrnal frame pack where it can clank around loudly to let all the bears know I'm in the woods.
on routes, if I lose/forget/or have to give up my reverso3 (or other tube type i carry) such that I dont' ahve a tube type, I use a munter.

buy one if you want I guess,. but they aren't that kewl.

howlostami

Jul 7, 2009, 4:38 PM
Post #9 of 24 (2062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All that talk is some b*llshit. The only thing you have gear for is to win the shiny contest, and 8's are the shiniest! Sure they kink your rope and can be a bit akward, but you can power through those issues. Rock the 8 and rule the disco climbing gym!

Seriously though they're not bad to have around and they work fine. Sometimes a regular ATC can be tough to belay with if you're using large diameter rope or at a gym with really blown out rope. In that case the 8 might be easier on you as a belayer. Your concern about climber weight is valid, as they don't have as much friction as an ATC.

Full Disclosure: I have an 8 and I use it. I only ever use it for belaying for top-rope, and the occasional rappel on thick ropes (two blown out 10's or something like that) with prussik back-up. I like to keep it around just to mix things up, it's always good to be familiar with more gear, so long as you are using it properly and safely it's all good.

budman

Jul 7, 2009, 4:59 PM
Post #10 of 24 (2042 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haven't used an 8 in many years, as there are far better devices out there. When I belayed off an 8 I used only the small hole, like a stitch plate. It allows more friction and better control. As I have not used a super 8 best to contact the manufacturer in it's use. Using it in the rap mode for belaying IMHO doesn't provide enough friction.

majid_sabet

Jul 7, 2009, 5:25 PM
Post #11 of 24 (2029 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

most of the anti-8 n00bs in here do not know that the small hole in the 8 can be used as a belay device as good as a tube type

come on n00bz

get your 8 out and go learn how to belay and stop bitc8ing

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Jul 7, 2009, 5:27 PM)

bill413

Jul 8, 2009, 12:52 AM
Post #12 of 24 (1975 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] super 8 belay device [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
most of the anti-8 n00bs in here do not know that the small hole in the 8 can be used as a belay device as good as a tube type
Pass and Fail.

If you are belaying with an 8, you must use it by threading the rope through the small hole like a Sticht plate. While you can use it in the rappel configuration to belay with, you are risking the climber's safety, since there is not that much friction there. Don't do it.
So, back to the "as good as a tube" statement. No. It is less convenient than a tube device, and with no keeper string or loop it can wander a fair distance away from the belay biner, causing extra distance in a fall before it locks up.

Yes, you can use it. There are much better alternatives.

milesenoell

Jul 8, 2009, 2:50 AM
Post #13 of 24 (1936 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] super 8 belay device [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

In germany a gym made me use an 8, and not through the small hole. That thing twisted my rope at least as bad if not worse than using a munter (and yes, I know to feed the rope in a straight orientation to avoid excess twist). The only 8 I ever want is the one I tie in with.

acorneau

Jul 8, 2009, 3:02 AM
Post #14 of 24 (1939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
If you are belaying with an 8, you must use it by threading the rope through the small hole like a Sticht plate. While you can use it in the rappel configuration to belay with, you are risking the climber's safety, since there is not that much friction there. Don't do it.

I have some German friends that both use an 8 in the rap-position for belaying and they seem to be just fine catching normal lead falls.

It really comes down to what device you're used to and knowing how to use it correctly.

Tipton

Jul 8, 2009, 4:15 AM
Post #15 of 24 (1924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
Pass and Fail.

So, back to the "as good as a tube" statement. No. It is less convenient than a tube device, and with no keeper string or loop it can wander a fair distance away from the belay biner, causing extra distance in a fall before it locks up.

I think you two are saying the same thing...

majid_sabet

Jul 8, 2009, 5:20 AM
Post #16 of 24 (1895 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tipton] super 8 belay device [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tipton wrote:
bill413 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
Pass and Fail.

I think you two are saying the same thing...

he is copying me to get credit

irregularpanda

Jul 8, 2009, 9:52 AM
Post #17 of 24 (1855 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] super 8 belay device [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

come on n00bz

OK buddy. Here's a small lesson in english, just the spelling, not the grammar.

It's S-H-I-T not SH!T

It's B-I-T-C-H not BITC8H

Its F-U-C-K not FU%K

That's how we curse. If you're going to use these words, don't dis-empower them by spelling them wrong. They are powerful words, and offer actual power to your statements.

When you spell them wrong intentionally, it removes the force of your statements.

It would be like If I finished every sentence with an irrelevant "PANCAKES". I would sound like a jackass if I did that. And you sound like a jackass when you can't spell words correctly that any 5th grader knows.

majid_sabet

Jul 8, 2009, 3:55 PM
Post #18 of 24 (1830 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] super 8 belay device [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

come on n00bz

OK buddy. Here's a small lesson in english, just the spelling, not the grammar.

It's S-H-I-T not SH!T

It's B-I-T-C-H not BITC8H

Its F-U-C-K not FU%K

That's how we curse. If you're going to use these words, don't dis-empower them by spelling them wrong. They are powerful words, and offer actual power to your statements.

When you spell them wrong intentionally, it removes the force of your statements.

It would be like If I finished every sentence with an irrelevant "PANCAKES". I would sound like a jackass if I did that. And you sound like a jackass when you can't spell words correctly that any 5th grader knows.

is this your DADDY ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D7rWLzloOI

marc801

Jul 8, 2009, 5:46 PM
Post #19 of 24 (1790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I ditched my 8 the minute I bought my first tube device and haven't used or wanted to use one since. That would have been around 1980.

So if you're insistent on belaying with an 8, are you also going to ditch your harness for a 2" webbing swami belt and tied leg-loops?

shimanilami

Jul 8, 2009, 6:46 PM
Post #20 of 24 (1759 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flippy04] super 8 belay device [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

flippy04 wrote:
They're hell-of-a good for belaying...better than a spatula. Can also dub as a blunt force weapon for hand to hand combat, a lightning rod, and a dildo.

Nice.

mounter

Jul 8, 2009, 7:47 PM
Post #21 of 24 (1731 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flippy04] super 8 belay device [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

also works well as a belt buckle, table center piece, paper weight, and back scratcher

(This post was edited by mounter on Jul 8, 2009, 7:48 PM)

robbovius

Jul 9, 2009, 2:24 PM
Post #22 of 24 (1652 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] super 8 belay device [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
bill413 wrote:

I have some German friends that both use an 8 in the rap-position for belaying and they seem to be just fine catching normal lead falls.

It really comes down to what device you're used to and knowing how to use it correctly.

I've belayed topropes with it inthe rap configuration, and it was actually a bit harder to takeup rope than the ATC XP I was using as my main belay device at the time. braking friction was easy to apply and at no time did I ever feel like I didn't have enough control of the rope and climber. it may have been the thickness of the rope (10mm+) and it may eb that a thinner rope would deliver less friction, but that kink you have to loop around the stem really does effect a decent amount of friction.

still, its kind of a pain in the ass and tube types are orders of magnitude better.

robbovius

Jul 9, 2009, 2:25 PM
Post #23 of 24 (1652 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mounter] super 8 belay device [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mounter wrote:
also works well as a belt buckle, table center piece, paper weight, and back scratcher

you forgot "nut-tool hammer"

bill413

Jul 10, 2009, 12:03 PM
Post #24 of 24 (1607 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robbovius] super 8 belay device [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robbovius wrote:
mounter wrote:

you forgot "nut-tool hammer"

Ouch!

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook