RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

pandippo

Jul 16, 2009, 11:01 PM
Post #1 of 11 (2731 views)
Shortcut

Traverse Grades
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi~

Sorry if this has been posted some where.. I did a search and I couldn't find an answer anywhere :P

New to climbing.. been bouldering for about 2 months now and our gym just updated with some new traversing routes.

Can someone explain the traverse grades to me? My friend was trying to tell me, but I don't quite understand. I'd completed a V2 and she said that its not a real V2? and that I need to complete a V1 to a V2 for it to be a real V2.

Does she mean I need to start the V1, finish at the V2 start and then complete the V2 as well?

Not that it matters too much, I just like to have a good idea of what my skill level is at.

TIA

hafilax

Jul 16, 2009, 11:14 PM
Post #2 of 11 (2719 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pandippo] Traverse Grades [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You'll have to ask the setters at your gym how they grade their routes. There's no formula.

rockandlice

Jul 17, 2009, 12:10 AM
Post #3 of 11 (2691 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Traverse Grades [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

gym grades = doesn't matter

fuggetaboutit

I think the best advice is to not worry about grades as a true climbing ability scale when climbing indoors. It's good to have the gyms listed grades as a overall point of reference when picking the problems to work on, but nothing more. In general, the grading will not translate over to your true climbing ability outside.

The gym is a great place to train, but wait until you put your skills to use outside before trying to get a feel for your general climbing ability level.

I've seen many people climb in a gym for a period of time, and then get quite frustrated when moving outside because they are not sending the same grades outside as they did regularly at their local gym. So, work your way through grades at the gym, and then see what it translates to outside without any notion of the level you "should" be at.

As for the traversing, it should be the grade of the moves using the colored/taped holds associated with the tag. Traverses can be typically rated based on a technical crux, a sustained level of more power moves, or a long endurance problem.

For example, take two problems, one being 4 moves, and the other 10 moves. Each individual move on the 10 move problem may be easier than the moves on the 4 move problem, but they become increasingly difficult in feeling due to the length of the problem and having to do all of the moves in succession.

Peasley1

Jul 17, 2009, 3:54 AM
Post #4 of 11 (2630 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rockandlice is right, indoor grades don't matter they just give you an idea of where ur at.

As far as traversing grades they are rated more for endurance than for power moves becaus u obviously get pumped out doing them.

Also ignore anybody who is giving u shit about it not being a true send in the gym or taking away from your personal victory. If u feel like u accomplished something by completing that traverse than it doesn't matter if it was a V0 or a V9 then.

clc

Jul 17, 2009, 5:25 AM
Post #5 of 11 (2593 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Peasley1] Traverse Grades [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

your friend is wrong. and gym grades are usually wrong too.
You don't need to climb the V1 to climb a V2. that doesn't even make sense.

curt

Jul 17, 2009, 6:32 AM
Post #6 of 11 (2575 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I need access to that "shoot myself through the head" smiley, seriously. Where'd it go?

Curt

jamincan

Jul 17, 2009, 12:07 PM
Post #7 of 11 (2539 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clc] Traverse Grades [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clc wrote:
You don't need to climb the V1 to climb a V2. that doesn't even make sense.

The only thing I can think of is that in this particular situation, the V2 he speaks of is an extension of the V1.

bill413

Jul 17, 2009, 12:48 PM
Post #8 of 11 (2523 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Traverse Grades [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
I need access to that "shoot myself through the head" smiley, seriously. Where'd it go?

Curt

Frown It died of gunshot wounds. Frown

IsayAutumn

Jul 17, 2009, 1:14 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2512 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:

Curt

Just left of the "I'm a self-important ass" icon. Seriously. This is the beginners' forum.

pandippo

Jul 17, 2009, 3:08 PM
Post #10 of 11 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Re: [IsayAutumn] Traverse Grades [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

IsayAutumn wrote:
curt wrote:

Curt

Just left of the "I'm a self-important ass" icon. Seriously. This is the beginners' forum.

Laugh lol

thanks everyone! :) i didn't think what she said made sense.. just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing :)

altho admittedly it's a really easy V2 .. the V1 traverse before it is a lot harder! haha

knieveltech

Jul 17, 2009, 3:24 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2466 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:

Curt

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook