RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

rcheath

Jul 15, 2009, 3:47 PM
Post #1 of 13 (5956 views)
Shortcut

On a personal note...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have been climbing for about a year and a half. In that time period, I have developed a number of painful cysts in the groin area. After seeing several doctors who could not tell me why these were developing (and only prescribed useless antibiotics), I came to the conclusion that my climbing harness was causing these ailments. To test this theory, I watched carefully at the pressure points of my harness-- and it matched perfectly. Due to a small battery acid incident on my harness I was forced to buy a new one, so I got the most expensive big-wall (and comfortable) harness on the market. Still no help... Has anyone else had this problem?

granite_grrl

Jul 15, 2009, 4:06 PM
Post #2 of 13 (5948 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rcheath] On a personal note... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No, but it sounds like you're moving in the right direction with the harness. Which model did you get btw? It is possible that just switching brands will change the pressure points too (for me BD harness have never really felt comfortable when I'm hanging in them). Good luck.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jul 15, 2009, 4:32 PM
Post #3 of 13 (5935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rcheath wrote:
...Due to a small battery acid incident on my harness....

Ummmm...trolling, or not? Pray tell, how in the hell one can actually battery acid on their harness. This ought to be a good story.

As for pressure points on a harness, the leg loops don't need to be tight, so loosen them if that's the case. It's the swami part that holds you in a fall. Or even taken them off completely if you really have that sensitive of skin. But do due diligence in understanding the issues(ie; harness hang syndrome) that can arise in hanging in a swami.

chadnsc

Jul 15, 2009, 4:33 PM
Post #4 of 13 (5934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While I have had no personal experience with this my sister did. Her issue was a combination of pressure points and the type of fabric that was in contact with her skin. Just some food for thought.

I hope you get this figured out. Good luck.

rcheath

Jul 16, 2009, 3:13 AM
Post #5 of 13 (5864 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] On a personal note... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I left a battery in my trunk for a few weeks, meaning to take it to Wal-Mart to have them dispose of it properly. By the time I did, I noticed some battery acid had spilled into the floor of my trunk. Two years later, I start climbing and leave a gear bag right on top of the battery acid. The acid ate through the bag and through my leg loops. Amazing. Good thing I noticed it BEFORE falling hard into it.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jul 16, 2009, 12:50 PM
Post #6 of 13 (5834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow! Well, you are right that it's a good thing it happened early on and so obviously that you were aware.

I know this is like a Captain Obvious statement, but hopefully you aren't putting any climbing gear, even a packpack, in that trunk any more.

lena_chita

Jul 16, 2009, 2:02 PM
Post #7 of 13 (5811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No personal experience, however, a friend of mine had something similar on the bikini line, and I think the problem was ingrown hair and the kind of underwear she was wearing.

rcheath

Jul 16, 2009, 6:41 PM
Post #8 of 13 (5769 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] On a personal note... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I originally had the Black Diamond Primrose AL, but switched to the Black Diamond Iris SA. It was twice as expensive, but worth every penny. Unbelievably comfortable. I have very wide hips and very thick thighs but it contours perfectly. I definately recommend this harness for curvy women or those who will be doing big wall climbing.

rcheath

Jul 16, 2009, 6:52 PM
Post #9 of 13 (5767 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] On a personal note... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kudos to you for mentioning harness hang syndrome, for I was unaware of this issue prior to your post.

acacongua

Jul 17, 2009, 6:16 PM
Post #10 of 13 (5713 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cysts as what you would get on your face as a teenager? It could be that you're sweating more with your new activity so you may need some more active prone underroos to wick sweat and you might want to loofah the area more to remove dead skin, oil and sweat.

wonderwoman

Jul 17, 2009, 6:32 PM
Post #11 of 13 (5707 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acacongua] On a personal note... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's a good question. Another possibility could be chigger bites. Those things burrow into you and go for the constricted areas, like you bikini line or waist band. You don't notice it until later.

I had my first chigger experience and they're finally drying up! Not only are they as ugly as hell, but the itch and right along my bikini line! Very uncomfortable!
http://images.google.com/...t=title&resnum=4

rcheath

Jul 17, 2009, 10:19 PM
Post #12 of 13 (5679 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] On a personal note... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the advice. I have talked with my doctor, and she suggested that it was a heredity ailment (my father gets them in his ear lobes randomly). But I'm not so sure. I will consider all of these. Thank you all for the help!

matterunomama

Jul 22, 2009, 12:34 AM
Post #13 of 13 (5560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It sounds like hidradenitis suppuritiva, caused by friction, sweating, and active oil glands. Treatment for mild cases is to change/lessen the areas of friction, and apply antibiotics also used in acne (like a benzoyl peroxide/clindamycin gel) and/or wash with antibacterial soap. The defining sign of HS is having double-headed blackheads in the area.

A less chronic and similar appearing condition is simple ingrown hairs-they happen to many people even without friction, but friction on the area irritates and clogs the follicle, even to cyst formation.

Was your doctor a dermatologist? If not, I would find one, a it will tend to recur until you get a management program. You have already done the first thing (Change the harness). Some of the same OTC things used in acne may help as the principle is the same-exfoliate/unplug follicles and antibiotic.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook