Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Trixie

Sep 15, 2009, 2:51 PM
Post #1 of 28 (2290 views)
Shortcut

How long is a piece of string?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This question is keeping me awake at night (just like the question of should you walk or run to shelter in the rain - answer seems to be it depends on the type of rain!)

OK, how far could a reasonably fit, experienced climber ascend a chimney by bracing his back and legs against a smoothish wall? And how far could said climber descend?

I understand that I'm going to get widely varying responses and possibly be snowed under with "It depends" answers so I'll set a few parameters.

1. The width of the chimney is to be considered the optimum width for the height of the climber.

2. The climber is a fit, experienced climber with chimney experience.

3. The sides of said chimney are smooth with no footholds, handholds or stretches that are slabby. The entire route is vertical with no overhangs either.

I guess anyone who wants to take a stab at answering this might want to give an answer that applies to how far up or down they personally would get and that's fine.

Will someone please put me out of my misery and have a go at helping me answer this question Crazy

From all these sleepless nights I've learned two basic facts - I can't function rationally without sleep and I really need to get out more! Unsure

Trixie Cool

wjca

Sep 15, 2009, 2:58 PM
Post #2 of 28 (2282 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Trixie] How long is a piece of string? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Trixie wrote:
This question is keeping me awake at night (just like the question of should you walk or run to shelter in the rain - answer seems to be it depends on the type of rain!)

OK, how far could a reasonably fit, experienced climber ascend a chimney by bracing his back and legs against a smoothish wall? And how far could said climber descend?

I understand that I'm going to get widely varying responses and possibly be snowed under with "It depends" answers so I'll set a few parameters.

1. The width of the chimney is to be considered the optimum width for the height of the climber.

3. The sides of said chimney are smooth with no footholds, handholds or stretches that are slabby. The entire route is vertical with no overhangs either.

I guess anyone who wants to take a stab at answering this might want to give an answer that applies to how far up or down they personally would get and that's fine.

Will someone please put me out of my misery and have a go at helping me answer this question Crazy

From all these sleepless nights I've learned two basic facts - I can't function rationally without sleep and I really need to get out more! Unsure

Trixie Cool

I could make it 20+ feet. But if there were a picture of you naked covered with mud at the 40 foot mark, I'm pretty sure I'd get to it.

cintune

Sep 15, 2009, 3:09 PM
Post #3 of 28 (2254 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Uh, yeah, it depends. 20-40 feet with no rests sounds about right But it's a whole lot harder and scarier going down than up.

Carnage

Sep 15, 2009, 3:10 PM
Post #4 of 28 (2252 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wjca] How long is a piece of string? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wjca wrote:
Trixie wrote:

Trixie Cool

I could make it 20+ feet. But if there were a picture of you naked covered with mud at the 40 foot mark, I'm pretty sure I'd get to it.

i would need to see a naked pic in this thread to know if its worth climbing to see another.

gmggg

Sep 15, 2009, 3:15 PM
Post #5 of 28 (2245 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Trixie wrote:

Trixie Cool

Looks like someone is planning on some buildering...

Wear approach shoes (for sticky rubber) and a leather jacket (for extra grip). You could make it 60-80 feet easily, if you keep your wits.

shimanilami

Sep 15, 2009, 4:01 PM
Post #6 of 28 (2205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Indefinitely.

jt512

Sep 15, 2009, 4:08 PM
Post #7 of 28 (2199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trixie wrote:

If the crack is the right width, then using the technique pictured below, a competent climber could climb hundreds of feet.

Jay
Attachments: chimney.jpg (8.13 KB)

shockabuku

Sep 15, 2009, 4:12 PM
Post #8 of 28 (2195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Right up to the first mistake.

fist

Sep 15, 2009, 6:49 PM
Post #9 of 28 (2099 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've done about 35 ft and I'm by no means a good climber. Getting over 50 would be pretty easy for a good climber.

eastvillage

Sep 15, 2009, 6:52 PM
Post #10 of 28 (2094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A piece of string is the same length as the sound of one hand clapping.

acorneau

Sep 15, 2009, 6:54 PM
Post #11 of 28 (2089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [eastvillage] How long is a piece of string? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

eastvillage wrote:
A piece of string is the same length as the sound of one hand clapping.

Isn't string just a theory?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory

budman

Sep 15, 2009, 7:06 PM
Post #12 of 28 (2077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Until you fall out of that OW.

kachoong

Sep 15, 2009, 7:30 PM
Post #13 of 28 (2050 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Trixie wrote:
should you walk or run to shelter in the rain - answer seems to be it depends on the type of rain!

It would depend on the angle the rain falls.... but in any case going faster is the best option.... you get more time at the destination to dry off.

byran

Sep 17, 2009, 3:08 AM
Post #14 of 28 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How smooth is smooth? Is this like glass or does it have good friction just without any edges? Does the climber have kneepads? I'm going to say somewhere between 50 and 2,000 feet depending on the climber and slickness of the rock. Going down would be much easier, especially in a squeeze chimney. You can usually "melt" down a squeeze at a few inches per second, and maintain such a pace indefinitely. Your body might even continue descending after you've bled to death from 3rd degree abrasions.

kylekienitz

Sep 17, 2009, 3:22 AM
Post #15 of 28 (1889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trixie wrote:
should you walk or run to shelter in the rain - answer seems to be it depends on the type of rain!

Last time I got caught in the rain there was an OM waiting to be shotgunned at the car... I ran.

Soaking, I lacerated its poor blushed white skin with the car key and a triumphant tilt made my stomach flesh as saturated as its outward brother.

shockabuku

Sep 17, 2009, 3:29 AM
Post #16 of 28 (1883 views)
Shortcut

Re: [budman] How long is a piece of string? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Trixie wrote:

budman wrote:
Until you fall out of that OW.

The two bolded parts above do not equate.

Urban_Cowboy

Sep 17, 2009, 3:38 AM
Post #17 of 28 (1873 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kylekienitz] How long is a piece of string? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mythbusters already solved the walk/run in rain question.Wink

Trixie

Sep 17, 2009, 8:51 AM
Post #18 of 28 (1821 views)
Shortcut

Re: [byran] How long is a piece of string? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

byran wrote:
How smooth is smooth? Is this like glass or does it have good friction just without any edges? Does the climber have kneepads? I'm going to say somewhere between 50 and 2,000 feet depending on the climber and slickness of the rock. Going down would be much easier, especially in a squeeze chimney. You can usually "melt" down a squeeze at a few inches per second, and maintain such a pace indefinitely. Your body might even continue descending after you've bled to death from 3rd degree abrasions.

OK, climber doesn't have knee pads and the rock is on the slick side of average, if you know what I mean.

Both walls have an edge running vertically which has no holds - think of two columns. Sorry, I should have made this a bit clearer in my initial post.

Thanks everyone who has offered opinions on this. More are welcome and especially some ideas as to what you think the limiting factor would be (abrasion, muscle fatigue etc)

Thank all

Trixie Cool

bill413

Sep 17, 2009, 7:56 PM
Post #19 of 28 (1734 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trixie wrote:
byran wrote:

OK, climber doesn't have knee pads and the rock is on the slick side of average, if you know what I mean.

Both walls have an edge running vertically which has no holds - think of two columns. Sorry, I should have made this a bit clearer in my initial post.

Thanks everyone who has offered opinions on this. More are welcome and especially some ideas as to what you think the limiting factor would be (abrasion, muscle fatigue etc)

Thank all

Trixie Cool

Lose of focus / attention would definitely stop you (from upward progression).

(This post was edited by bill413 on Sep 17, 2009, 7:57 PM)

dudemanbu

Sep 17, 2009, 8:32 PM
Post #20 of 28 (1701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The answer, in this case, is until he gets bored.

vegastradguy

Sep 17, 2009, 8:33 PM
Post #21 of 28 (1700 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] How long is a piece of string? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JT is right for ascending.

descending theoretically would be the same, but my guess is that once you're more than 30' up, most people would balk at downclimbing further simply due to the head game involved.

Partner cracklover

Sep 17, 2009, 9:27 PM
Post #22 of 28 (1675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trixie wrote:
byran wrote:

Thank all

Trixie Cool

The only limiting factor to the competent climber would be fear. Unless you're talking about well over a hundred feet with no rests, in which case exhaustion could begin to be a serious factor.

If the rock is pretty slick rock, as you say it is, you'd have to press out hard to keep from slipping. This is what the limitation of over a hundred feet is based on. In the other extreme, on very gritty granite, the only limitation would be how long your clothing and skin would last.

For reference, I've done 120 feet of pretty much perfect width chimney climbing without a rest, but placing good gear so the fear never gets too great. By the end of that 120 feet, it starts to be fairly tiring.

Edited to add: I forgot, you have to chimney back down too, all without any rest? Hmm... that changes things. I'd say maybe 100 feet? But of course this is pure guesswork.

GO

(This post was edited by cracklover on Sep 17, 2009, 9:30 PM)

Partner cracklover

Sep 17, 2009, 9:34 PM
Post #23 of 28 (1668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, and because you weren't around when this was first posted, and the subject of your thread (or should I say your string?) made me think of it...

Enjoy!

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ew_flat;post=675465;

GO

petsfed

Sep 17, 2009, 9:36 PM
Post #24 of 28 (1665 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] How long is a piece of string? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
JT is right for ascending.

descending theoretically would be the same, but my guess is that once you're more than 30' up, most people would balk at downclimbing further simply due to the head game involved.

I've done that sort of descent precisely once. NEVER AGAIN.

To the question at hand, assuming good fitness on the part of the climber, indefinitely. I wouldn't be willing to go more than about 50 feet without gear though.

Trixie

Sep 18, 2009, 9:49 PM
Post #25 of 28 (1605 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] How long is a piece of string? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cracklover, thank you so much for that link. I howled, hooted, sobbed and hee'ed and hawed like a donkey! That thread is utterly priceless. It reminds me of some of the undergraduates and postgraduates I taught.

Any chance you can keep digging up funny links for me? I broke my wrist today so I'll be out of action for quite a while. I need something to keep me amused.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook