Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Kitchener ON Canada close climbing areas
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

live2climb

Oct 1, 2009, 9:24 PM
Post #1 of 11 (11060 views)
Shortcut

Kitchener ON Canada close climbing areas  (North_America: Canada: Ontario)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just moved her from the US from Moab Utah and realy need to find some climbing and some one to climb with so if anyone has any info on climbing areound Kitchener Ontario please help!!!!! I need a fix!!! Thanks a lot!

Ry_

Oct 1, 2009, 9:30 PM
Post #2 of 11 (11055 views)
Shortcut

Re: [live2climb] Kitchener ON Canada close climbing areas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kitchener isn't the best climbing city in the world, but then again, not the worst. Try this link http://www.climbers.org/rock. Youll find alot of different areas to climb. I highly recommend lions head for world class sport climbing and then bon echo and hayleybury if your interested in trad. The niagara glen also has the best bouldering around. Good Luck!

granite_grrl

Oct 1, 2009, 11:30 PM
Post #3 of 11 (11033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Talk about downgrade!!!!

Sorry dude, but the rock kinda sucks around here. Just try to make the most of it, and then road trip to places like the Red, the New and the Gunks for your fix of good rock whenever you can.

There is rock though, and if used properly it can make for a pretty good training ground. You can pick up the current guide books for an idea of what's out there, but a new book is supposed to be coming out sometime in the next year (but we all know how guide books go).

I think the closest rock to you would be in the Milton Area, but your not too far from the Beaver Valley, and the stuff up on the Bruce is also reasonable. All of this is Escarpment limestone. A lot of sport climbing, but there's a fair bit of trad too if your hip to plugging gear in chossy limestone. Bon Echo is interesting, but lends itself to moderate trad (and lends itself even more to wine and a sauna if you're into that kind of thing). Certainly something to try out next summer, for some people it's their main summer haunt.

http://www.climbers.org is the web site for the Toronto Section of the Alpine Club of Canada, but there is a newer site that's starting to get popular at http://www.ontarioclimbing.com.

Anyway, hope you survive and you make the most with what we've got around here.

pclips

Oct 1, 2009, 11:31 PM
Post #4 of 11 (11033 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Ry_] Kitchener ON Canada close climbing areas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Try this. http://ontarioclimbing.com/

Its a bit more current than the other Alpine Club site.

Neel

Oct 2, 2009, 3:12 PM
Post #5 of 11 (11006 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Kitchener ON Canada close climbing areas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
You can pick up the current guide books for an idea of what's out there, but a new book is supposed to be coming out sometime in the next year (but we all know how guide books go).

there's a current guide book? why wasn't i informed! lol - i guess you mean the guide books that are currently available :) Can't wait for the new one, whenever that happens.

davidbr

Oct 3, 2009, 1:15 AM
Post #6 of 11 (10982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Adventure GUide in Waterloo has the guidebook for this part of ONtario. There's also another which contains only sport routes. Access is pretty touchy around here, so you might also want to check the Ontario Access Coalition's website to see the status and particular rules for any of the areas you're considering. Not all the areas in the guide are open to climbing at present.

The single-pitch trad climbing in the area is good. It's typically loose and can be slippery, but there is some real quality climbing around. The main crags close-by are Rattlesnake Point, Buffalo Crag, Kelso and Mt. Nemo.

Keep in mind that the cedars in the area are pretty much sacred. They're basically not to be touched. At Rattlesnake (where top-roping is permitted), I believe there are now anchors atop most routes anyway. At most of the other crags, there is usually plenty of featured rock at the top for the leader to belay off a gear anchor, so it isn't necessary to grab a tree.

Enjoy,

Dave

granite_grrl

Oct 5, 2009, 1:04 AM
Post #7 of 11 (10960 views)
Shortcut

Re: [davidbr] Kitchener ON Canada close climbing areas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

davidbr wrote:
Adventure GUide in Waterloo has the guidebook for this part of ONtario. There's also another which contains only sport routes. Access is pretty touchy around here, so you might also want to check the Ontario Access Coalition's website to see the status and particular rules for any of the areas you're considering. Not all the areas in the guide are open to climbing at present.

The single-pitch trad climbing in the area is good. It's typically loose and can be slippery, but there is some real quality climbing around. The main crags close-by are Rattlesnake Point, Buffalo Crag, Kelso and Mt. Nemo.

Keep in mind that the cedars in the area are pretty much sacred. They're basically not to be touched. At Rattlesnake (where top-roping is permitted), I believe there are now anchors atop most routes anyway. At most of the other crags, there is usually plenty of featured rock at the top for the leader to belay off a gear anchor, so it isn't necessary to grab a tree.

Enjoy,

Dave
Do you know what cedars are used for?

Mulch

I just remulched my front garden actually.

No, you're not supposed to sling them in Halton, which is understandable with their more delicate bark, but most of the cedars you see in the province are simple Red Cedars.....which you make things like Adirondack chairs and mulch out of. The big problem are Silver Cedars which are much less common. These are your "sacred" trees. The rest are just trees.

davidbr

Oct 5, 2009, 9:57 AM
Post #8 of 11 (10932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Right. In fact, if we want to get completely literal, i know of no major religion which actually holds the cedar sacred. But the point stands - in referring to the climbing near KW as opposed to the whole province (which is what the OP was talking about) a person has to keep in mind that, to avoid confrontation with HRCA and in order not to make even more difficult the work of the Access Coalition, it's best not to touch the cedars.

My post wasn't meant to either applaud or criticise the rules, rather to simply let a climber new to the area be aware of them. I'd appreciate the same if I were the one recently arrived.

live2climb

Oct 5, 2009, 6:42 PM
Post #9 of 11 (10893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks so much for all the help much aprecieated and even though as \granite grll put it... its a bit of a down grade form \moab but im still stoked to get out soooo...... ANY ONE WANT TO CLIMB????? I have a bunch of gear and dont mind leading at all im super safe and have many partners that could vouch for me. \i just need to climb already!!!!! Hope to hear from you if your out thier

SuperCow

Oct 7, 2009, 4:26 AM
Post #10 of 11 (10866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If your looking for people to climb with, Im looking for someone to teach me some lead climbing techniques.

I have a good group of friends who also like climbing so its rarely a lonely occasion. Being mostly all top ropers it would be great to get some experience in the group.

I myself enjoy bouldering as well and am well into the creation of alot of climbing surface in my garage..

If your interested I live in cambridge.

live2climb

Oct 7, 2009, 8:21 PM
Post #11 of 11 (10846 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SuperCow] Kitchener ON Canada close climbing areas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I WOULD BE SIKED!!!! Would love to see your home wall or head to the gratto in Gualph (SP?) or better yet the weather gets better and we could head outside!!! Shoot me an E mail im avalible anytime
jdubbruce@yahoo.com
hope to climb soon
James

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook