Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
The Red in Dec
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

mmoschetto

Oct 11, 2009, 9:51 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1818 views)
Shortcut

The Red in Dec  (North_America: United_States: Kentucky: East: Red_River_Gorge__Climbing_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everyone, I'm going on a Climbing trip!!!
...but I'm leaving the north east in DECEMBER.
I was hoping to find out that there will be people braving the cold and climbing down at the RED because I'll be traveling solo, and have never been there before!

Anyone know how it goes there in DEC?
Anyone going to be there?!

lena_chita

Oct 13, 2009, 3:11 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1771 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mmoschetto] The Red in Dec [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I suggest that you find a different destination for December.

Yes, sometimes you get good weather in December at the Red. But it is iffy and uncertain. And Miguel's would be closed, I assume, as usual, after Thanksgiving. (e.i. you won't have pizza, and there won't really be anyone there, though I think you can still camp and slip the money under the door, or something)

Go someplace warmer for winter, and come back to the Red in spring-- or, even better, next fall.

rockprodigy

Oct 14, 2009, 4:48 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1723 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Finding partners might be tough, but you can certainly climb in December if you're strong enough to climb on the steep rock. The temps will be in the 40s and 50s, which is warm enough, but the problem is the rain. If you climb 5.12- or harder, you'll be able to find plenty of dry routes. There are some 5.11s here and there, but harder to find.

mttgross

Nov 30, 2009, 5:02 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am Probably heading down there sometime around there with a buddy of mine, but we may cancel at last minute and travel somewhere else roughly the same distance, so I have the same questions basically about weather, and if you are less than 5.12, do you not recommend it ?

ntayers

Nov 30, 2009, 6:08 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been down there several times in late dec. and early jan. and camped at Miguel's (yes the shop is closed but you can still camp). Sometimes, we don't see anyone else the entire time, but sometimes there are a few climbers also at miguels so def. try to find someone before you go down there alone.
The weather isn't too bad - it's usually been cloudy with temps in the 40's or low 50's (really cold at night though). I've never had trouble with rain during this time of the year down there, but even if it does rain, you can find routes of all grades that stay dry unless it rains for several days straight. The 10 wall @ roadside crag and bruise brothers wall @ muir valley are great places with moderate routes that stay dry.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook