Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Durin

Oct 21, 2009, 6:12 AM
Post #1 of 52 (6153 views)
Shortcut

Future of Acopa and CCH
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Since both of their founders have passed away, does anyone know what the future entails for these companies?

tradrenn

Oct 21, 2009, 8:58 AM
Post #2 of 52 (6096 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Durin] Future of Acopa and CCH [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Durin wrote:
Since both of their founders have passed away, does anyone know what the future entails for these companies?

Don't know, but I do hope that in future we can work out some nice relationship between RC.comers and CCH, for the good of all of us.
I hope Nadia would be willing to listen to us.

Respectfully
Voytek Renn
Alien user.

Partner angry

Oct 21, 2009, 11:11 AM
Post #3 of 52 (6069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I'm not mistaken, neither of these companies were large enough to be public. It all depends on whether family members want to take things further or not.

My wild guesses would be that Acopa will sell out their stock and quit unless one of their current employees buys it.

CCH is more tricky. Remember, the cam design is for sale but if production is taken outside of the Laramie bubble, the cam is likely to cost $120-$130 apiece. This is what has halted their sale, not stubbornness on Dave's behalf.

In 1999 when I was working at CCH and a total n00b climber, he turned everything off at 3:00 and said he had an appointment. I called a friend and told him we should go to Vedauwoo. We went there and I redpointed "Friday the 13th" for my first time. While I'm setting up the anchor I looked down and saw Dave walk up. I guess we had the same appointment.

You should have seen the looks he gave me when I told him how much I'd been in the weight room to prepare for my first Indian Creek trip.

In both cases, I'll miss the man more than their product.

johnwesely

Oct 21, 2009, 12:18 PM
Post #4 of 52 (6028 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Future of Acopa and CCH [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:

CCH is more tricky. Remember, the cam design is for sale but if production is taken outside of the Laramie bubble, the cam is likely to cost $120-$130 apiece. This is what has halted their sale, not stubbornness on Dave's behalf.

Why is that?

petsfed

Oct 21, 2009, 1:25 PM
Post #5 of 52 (5992 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Future of Acopa and CCH [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The labor's cheap. Mind you, most of his workers are complete dirtbags who don't mind the low pay.

The internal cam spring thing (which keeps aliens so narrow) is very labor intensive and accounting for that would drive up production costs. The only way to get away with it is to pay minimum wage, which simply wouldn't be possible in a larger shop like BD or Metolius.

zeke_sf

Oct 21, 2009, 1:46 PM
Post #6 of 52 (5968 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Future of Acopa and CCH [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
You should have seen the looks he gave me when I told him how much I'd been in the weight room to prepare for my first Indian Creek trip.

In both cases, I'll miss the man more than their product.

Great line. I'll have to remark on hitting the weights before climbing sometime. Maybe I'll save it for when I climb with JT512. Yes.

Hopefully, Aliens will remain with us. I'd hate to see that increase on the $ though.

johnwesely

Oct 21, 2009, 2:13 PM
Post #7 of 52 (5942 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Future of Acopa and CCH [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Isn't the black diamond shop in China?

adam3

Oct 21, 2009, 2:22 PM
Post #8 of 52 (5931 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Future of Acopa and CCH [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Utah.. but they do get little things here and there made out of China like everyone else..

petsfed

Oct 21, 2009, 2:36 PM
Post #9 of 52 (5917 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adam3] Future of Acopa and CCH [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

adam3 wrote:
Utah.. but they do get little things here and there made out of China like everyone else..

Really?

Cost of living is too high in the States to do a lot of manufacturing. Downside to the must-grow-at-all-costs ideal of economics is that as the profits grow, so too do the prices of goods and services and therefore the cost of living.

Manufacturing at minimum wage in the states is basically unheard of.

hafilax

Oct 21, 2009, 2:49 PM
Post #10 of 52 (5896 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Acopa plans on continuing.
http://supertopo.com/...a_What_happens_to_it

photoguy190

Oct 21, 2009, 2:49 PM
Post #11 of 52 (5896 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

C4s are no longer made in the states so I doubt they pay min wage. Not much is made in the states anymore.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

johnwesely

Oct 21, 2009, 3:01 PM
Post #12 of 52 (5879 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rmsusa

Oct 21, 2009, 3:09 PM
Post #13 of 52 (5865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Acopa is a fairly successful Mexican company that's been producing shoes and selling them in Mexico for years. They seem to want to continue that. The US distributor is the question mark.

Aliens? I love 'em, but is there enough in them to bother with?

In reply to:
... Downside to the must-grow-at-all-costs ideal of economics is that as the profits grow, so too do the prices of goods and services and therefore the cost of living.

There's no particular link between profits & prices. Profits can increase by selling more units, with no change in prices. Prices can increase with no change in profits by maintaining margin in the face of increases in input costs.

Where did you hear of a "growth at all costs" ideal in economics?

hafilax

Oct 21, 2009, 3:20 PM
Post #14 of 52 (5848 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rmsusa] Future of Acopa and CCH [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Acopa is an American company based in Las Vegas with a factory in Mexico. They bought an existing factory in 2003 but I wouldn't call the current form of Acopa a Mexican company. I don't think US distribution is an issue.

TarHeelEMT

Oct 21, 2009, 3:27 PM
Post #15 of 52 (5842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Am I correct in that Aliens are generally unavailable at the moment?

naitch

Oct 21, 2009, 4:12 PM
Post #16 of 52 (5788 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Future of Acopa and CCH [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
Acopa is an American company based in Las Vegas with a factory in Mexico. They bought an existing factory in 2003 but I wouldn't call the current form of Acopa a Mexican company. I don't think US distribution is an issue.

Agreed...what will be lacking/missed is John as the shoe designer. We'll have the current batch of shoes that they offer (which are some of the best), however we may not be offered the innovation that John brought in the past.

rmsusa

Oct 21, 2009, 4:25 PM
Post #17 of 52 (5765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Acopa is an American company based in Las Vegas with a factory in Mexico. They bought an existing factory in 2003

That's interesting to know. So Dario sold Acopa, Equipo Deportivo, SA de CV to Acopa International, LLC? Did it happen just after the accident?

petsfed

Oct 21, 2009, 4:33 PM
Post #18 of 52 (5753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rmsusa wrote:
Acopa is a fairly successful Mexican company that's been producing shoes and selling them in Mexico for years. They seem to want to continue that. The US distributor is the question mark.

In reply to:
... Downside to the must-grow-at-all-costs ideal of economics is that as the profits grow, so too do the prices of goods and services and therefore the cost of living.

There's no particular link between profits & prices. Profits can increase by selling more units, with no change in prices. Prices can increase with no change in profits by maintaining margin in the face of increases in input costs.

Seems obvious to me. I mean, everybody freaks out when growth drops below a certain rate, even if its still growing.

My point is that you either increase profits by selling more units, or by raising prices. If demand stays constant, you won't increase profits without raising prices. That's basic math.

Mind you, if other industries are increasing prices to increase profits or cover increasing operating costs or whatever, eventually you'll have to increase wages to be commensurate with the cost of living of your employees. Which means your expenses go up, so you either have to increase sales or increase prices to cover it. None of this complicated economic theory, its just simple math.

My take on the theory side of things is that so long as we measure economic health in terms of economic growth, we'll continue to see prices increase without any measurable increase in quality. In that sense, growth drives inflation.

hafilax

Oct 21, 2009, 4:56 PM
Post #19 of 52 (5723 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rmsusa wrote:
In reply to:
Acopa is an American company based in Las Vegas with a factory in Mexico. They bought an existing factory in 2003

That's interesting to know. So Dario sold Acopa, Equipo Deportivo, SA de CV to Acopa International, LLC? Did it happen just after the accident?
I don't really know much but there's a brief blurb on the history of the company at their website in the 'about us' link.
http://www.acopausa.com/

dlintz

Oct 21, 2009, 4:57 PM
Post #20 of 52 (5720 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradrenn] Future of Acopa and CCH [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tradrenn wrote:
Durin wrote:

Don't know, but I do hope that in future we can work out some nice relationship between RC.comers and CCH, for the good of all of us.
I hope Nadia would be willing to listen to us.

Respectfully
Voytek Renn
Alien user.

I understand your intention but everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion as well as how they express it.

d.

hafilax

Oct 21, 2009, 4:59 PM
Post #21 of 52 (5712 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
rmsusa wrote:

In reply to:

Seems obvious to me. I mean, everybody freaks out when growth drops below a certain rate, even if its still growing.

My point is that you either increase profits by selling more units, or by raising prices. If demand stays constant, you won't increase profits without raising prices. That's basic math.

Mind you, if other industries are increasing prices to increase profits or cover increasing operating costs or whatever, eventually you'll have to increase wages to be commensurate with the cost of living of your employees. Which means your expenses go up, so you either have to increase sales or increase prices to cover it. None of this complicated economic theory, its just simple math.

My take on the theory side of things is that so long as we measure economic health in terms of economic growth, we'll continue to see prices increase without any measurable increase in quality. In that sense, growth drives inflation.
There are a few think tanks working on a replacement for the GDP figure with some kind of measure of sustainability. I'm not sure that such a thing is possible but anything is better than a model based solely on increasing profits.

nkane

Oct 21, 2009, 5:29 PM
Post #22 of 52 (5672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:

You could also cut costs.

scotty1974

Oct 21, 2009, 5:37 PM
Post #23 of 52 (5657 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TarHeelEMT] Future of Acopa and CCH [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't know about future production runs, but you can still find aliens. I don't think they are carried as widespread, but I run into them all the time on the web.

rmsusa

Oct 21, 2009, 7:34 PM
Post #24 of 52 (5561 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Well.... "growth at all costs" isn't any kind of an ideal, but growth is important. That's just a sort of sound bite that evokes an emotional response around a very complex issue.

It may help if you think of it this way. If population increases, we have to provide new goods and services to provide for the additions or living standards fall since everybody can't have the same amount of goods & services anymore. So growth in the quantity of goods & services is important. If the central bankers get things right (low inflation), money is just a proxy for goods & services, so we measure the results in money.

Now think about a country like China, where over half a million people live in abject poverty. We're talking here about not having the wherewithall to buy a pair of shoes and living without clean water, refrigeration or any kind of medical care. We have a moral imperative to increase the goods and services available in a situation like that. It would be nice if every house had a toilet, and maybe a refrigerator. Producing those things means economic growth, period. This is why it's so important that the underdeveloped countries grow their economies. Remember, again, that money is just a proxy for goods & services.

In your profit discussion, you haven't taken productivity increases or reduction in prices of inputs into account. Either of these things can increase profits in a situation of static demand.

It is certainly simple math, but you have to have a conceptual framework that takes all the variables into account. This is why economics education is so important.

Most of the people who take economic health to be equivalent to economic growth seem to me to be news anchors whose currency is simplicity and sound bites (or maybe politicians).

rmsusa

Oct 21, 2009, 7:39 PM
Post #25 of 52 (5553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
anything is better than a model based solely on increasing profits.

I'm gonna say it again. There is no model based solely on increasing profits except in the minds of wacky ideologues.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook