Eastern U.S. hitlist suggestions...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

eyeklimb

Nov 5, 2009, 3:07 PM
Post #1 of 43 (31907 views)
Shortcut

Eastern U.S. hitlist suggestions...  (North_America: United_States)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everyone, I'm looking at taking a trip next summer, and I'm trying to work out the logistics and see just how feasible this all is. I've never really gone on any over night climbing trips besides a 2 nighter at Pilot Mountain in NC, and I now have been given an opportunity to go from NC to NH in either June or July, climbing all along the way. We're looking at taking about 2-3 weeks, and climbing, starting at Linville, then hitting up the New, Seneca, DWG, The Gunks, and finishing out with some NH big wall stuff. Due to the amount of driving we'll be doing and our own personal skill levels, we really arent looking at doing anything more than a 5.8, but instead just getting out and seeing the country, so casual, easy-moderate multi-pitch trad stuff is preferred. All 3 guys going are capable of leading and we can do pretty much the majority of 5.8's and are willing to do a 5.9 pitch if necessary.

The question that has come up with thinking of where all to go, is not the location, but the routes. We're looking at going next summer, so we've definitely got some time to figure things out, but, since we're already talking about it, I'm getting excited, and thought I'd see what the RC.comers have to say about the routes between here and there. I'm willing to put up for the guidebooks to all the places, as I'm sure I will be revisiting each of them. We're mainly looking at multi-pitch trad, and could care less about sport. So, to the regulars of the New, Seneca, DWG, the Gunks, and NH.... what are some of your favorite easy-moderates?

I have looked at each place thoroughly, and I'm having the most trouble with Seneca and NH specifically. There's plenty of info on the Gunks, and we arent having too much trouble picking routes at DWG (at least not that I know of, but then again, that is the point of this post) I understand that right now, I dont really need to be concerned with routes, but it definitely helps fuel the excitement, when I can look at a route, and say to myself, "I'll be on that next summer" ya know?

Also, what are the good guidebooks to invest in for each area, and what's the camping like? Addresses would be the most helpful, so we can plan out driving times and distances, but phone numbers work too.

Any and all help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Chris

olderic

Nov 5, 2009, 3:34 PM
Post #2 of 43 (31896 views)
Shortcut

Re: [eyeklimb] Eastern U.S. hitlist suggestions... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats a tall order. I don't have time for a detailed reply but wil just throw out a few more random thoughts.

You ought to add the Adirondaks to your list of potential venues.

In NH you should focus on N Conway - Cathedral and Whitehorse in particular. Certainly there are tons more of slightly obscure crags around but on a high lights trip like this you should start there. if you want more alpine like adventure head for Cannon or Huntington Ravine (Mt. Washington).

Your biggest risk - as always in the east - is the weather. It could be perfect. It could equally likely be hot humid and damp. Be flexible and have some alternatives. Check forecasts before you drive a day to get someplace. For sure its likely to be buggy in NH. In general you can get cooler, drier more bug free conditions if you go up higher on the bigger cliffs.

tradmanclimbs

Nov 5, 2009, 4:06 PM
Post #3 of 43 (31874 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Eastern U.S. hitlist suggestions... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Seneca is one of my favorits. Such a cool mini mountain. The easiest and best protected of the 5.7s to the summit is Green Wall. Other favorite moderats are Pleasant Overhang, West Pole with the direct finish. Extacy and Gunsite to South Peak.. Etc . Etc. Etc,,

Gunks you can figuer out on your own.

North Conway area Easier classics on Cathedra/ Whitehorse.
Bombardment to Black lung. Toe crack, the Siagons.
Sea of Holes with direct finish. Inferno
Moderate Classics on Cannon
Whitny G, Moby grape, lakeview to Weisners buttress.. accross the street from cannon loot at the eaglett, Rt66 , salt packed pig sack.

Partner j_ung

Nov 5, 2009, 4:16 PM
Post #4 of 43 (31861 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradmanclimbs] Eastern U.S. hitlist suggestions... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sure you'll get plenty of route suggestions, so I'll just toss in a bit of advice: plan it so you're at Seneca on weekdays. Wink

tradmanclimbs

Nov 5, 2009, 4:25 PM
Post #5 of 43 (31848 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Eastern U.S. hitlist suggestions... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Plan it so you are everywhere on weekdays...

blueeyedclimber

Nov 5, 2009, 4:25 PM
Post #6 of 43 (31847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To answer your question about routes:

Must-dos in the 5.8 and under category:

NH
Whitney-Gilman Ridge, 5.7, Cannon
Moby Grape, 5.8, Cannon
Thin Air, 5.6, Cathedral Ledge
Bombardment, 5.8, Cathedral
Standard Route, 5.5, Whitehorse ledge
Sliding Board, 5.7, Whitehorse

Gunks

Son of Easy O, 5.8
High Expsoure, 5.6
Disneyland, 5.6
Birdland, 5.8+
Horseman, 5.5
Yum Yum Yab Yum, 5.3
Frog's Head, 5.5

This is just to get you started. There is literally too many routes to list. In the time that you were here, you won't even scratch the surface. Also, June and July in the Northeast is buggy and humid. You also may get a lot of rain. This past June we had over 20 days of rain. That is unusual, but it can happen. Just be prepared to be flexible and ask around for routes or areas that dry fast or even stay dry when it IS raining.

Too bad you can't do September to October.
Josh

jrathfon

Nov 5, 2009, 4:37 PM
Post #7 of 43 (31835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

horowitz's "select climbs of the northeast". do them all, that will cover you from gunks to maine.

ya, i'd hit every crag in the NE on weekdays, though north conway ain't too bad on weekends.

if i had to pick one(or two) moderate(s) at every area:

seneca: extasy to green wall
gunks: CCK, arrow, modern times (hehe, you said 8's), and an easy nine (30ft, lots o' pins), directissima into high-e
dacks: diagonal (wallface), gamesmanship (poke-o)
cannon: whitney-g, moby grape
cathedral: bombardment to black lung, saigons or thin air to pine tree elim.
whitehorse: sliding board
mt. willard: across the universe
huntington: obviously NE ridge of the pinnacle

p.s. everything i listed above in the NE should have a topo in the select NE guide

things i haven't done but should be fabulous: the eaglet (franc. notch), and the armadillo (katahdin)

jrathfon

Nov 5, 2009, 4:39 PM
Post #8 of 43 (31831 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Eastern U.S. hitlist suggestions... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber's avatar is a 5.8 at the gunks...

in some books.

dreday3000

Nov 5, 2009, 4:42 PM
Post #9 of 43 (31823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you should try to stay in fewer areas for longer. At you current clip you will barely scratch the surface each area. My two cents.

blueeyedclimber

Nov 5, 2009, 4:43 PM
Post #10 of 43 (31823 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jrathfon] Eastern U.S. hitlist suggestions... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jrathfon wrote:
blueeyedclimber's avatar is a 5.8 at the gunks...

in some books.

And they used to believe that the world was flat. Some things are properly updated with time Tongue

blueeyedclimber

Nov 5, 2009, 4:44 PM
Post #11 of 43 (31817 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jrathfon] Eastern U.S. hitlist suggestions... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't believe I forgot Arrow and CCK, but I intentionally left off Modern TImes (heh, heh).

Josh

jrathfon

Nov 5, 2009, 4:51 PM
Post #12 of 43 (31808 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Eastern U.S. hitlist suggestions... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

what, what's so bad about modern times? 5.8+ right? Sly

so when you come down, you have to do muscle shoals, 5.8+ right... i'll lend you a few cams so you can take three #5's and two #6's... haha. 8+ at it's finest. have you done bambi meets godzilla in jtree?

qtm

Nov 5, 2009, 5:58 PM
Post #13 of 43 (31761 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dreday3000] Eastern U.S. hitlist suggestions... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dreday3000 wrote:
I think you should try to stay in fewer areas for longer. At you current clip you will barely scratch the surface each area. My two cents.

Especially with a party of three. Since NRG and Seneca aren't too far from you in the first place, I'd skip them and head to the Gunks for a few days. Then NH, and back to the Gunks, and then home, or NRG/Seneca on the way home.

(This post was edited by qtm on Nov 5, 2009, 6:00 PM)

tradmanclimbs

Nov 5, 2009, 6:11 PM
Post #14 of 43 (31753 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qtm] Eastern U.S. hitlist suggestions... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For a three week trip. a week in the gunks, a week in NH, one day @ rumny to see what that scene is all about and a few days in the ADKs on the way home should be pretty cool. You can hit Seneca, the New etc any time as you allready live down there. GTF out of dodge and try something different.Cool

dudemanbu

Nov 5, 2009, 6:48 PM
Post #15 of 43 (31729 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you guys have a great idea, but i definitely think that it would be a real shame if you didn't stop in either MA or CT for some good old single pitch trad cragging on your way through.. depending which way you go.

If you go through MA, stop at Farley and/or Crow Hill.

If you go through CT, stop at East Peak and/or Ragged Mountain.

There's tons of 5.8 and easier single pitch trad at these locations, and most of the easier climbs have stars... especially at ragged.

tks

Nov 5, 2009, 7:14 PM
Post #16 of 43 (31714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

These are all good suggestions for routes. I lived and climbed in New England for three years before moving down here to NC, and I've done every climb mentioned so far for Seneca, Cathedral, Whitehorse, and Cannon.

Here is my suggestion: pick where you want to go, and then train for those types of routes here in NC. For example, lots of routes at Table Rock feel just like the Thin Air face on Cathedral: lots of edges and slabby moves with a bit of air between placements. Same rack, same moves for the most part.

To train for Cannon, I would run out to cashiers and do the OR on Whitesides. The OR has better rock, but the feeling of big air and exposure is similiar.

I've never climbed the gunks, but the pictures look an awful lot like Shortoff Mountain.

I've never been on anything that felt like/reminded me of Seneca. You're on your own there.

So that's it, train before your trip so that you will feel strong and in your element when you hit the new stuff. The grades in NC seem very close to NH. There aren't any climbs on that list that you should worry about if you're comfortable leading 5.8 down here.

Also, this gives you an excuse/mission to explore linville gorge. Let me know if I can help with any more suggestions or beta.

Tom

villageidiot

Nov 5, 2009, 8:12 PM
Post #17 of 43 (31672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In genera I would recommend going to one or two places, instead of rushing around to several. Doing so seems to make for a more relaxing trip. If you have the gas money I would recommend going west. June/July the west is going to be warm, but the east will hot and humid. I would defineitly try to focus on an ares you can't blast off to the weekend for.

If you do hit up Seneca are the climb's that were particularly memorable for me:

West Pole, 5.7
Climb and Punishment, 5.8
The Burn, 5.8
Ye God's and little fishes, 5.8
Pleasent Overhangs, 5.7
Neck Press, 5.7
Traffic Jam, 5.7 (short)
Exstacy, 5.7 (overated)
Green wall, 5.7 (overated)

hyhuu

Nov 5, 2009, 8:35 PM
Post #18 of 43 (31657 views)
Shortcut

Re: [villageidiot] Eastern U.S. hitlist suggestions... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

NRG is really a nice area and worth a visit but but beware that there really isn't much trad climbing that is worth while at the grades you are looking for. Unfortunately, the good trad lines at the New start at 5.10.

Now if you do the search I'm sure you'll see a list of easy routes from one of the old post but those climbs, in my personal opinon, are nothing to write home about.

hyhuu

Nov 5, 2009, 8:44 PM
Post #19 of 43 (31652 views)
Shortcut

Re: [villageidiot] Eastern U.S. hitlist suggestions... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

villageidiot wrote:
In genera I would recommend going to one or two places, instead of rushing around to several. Doing so seems to make for a more relaxing trip. If you have the gas money I would recommend going west. June/July the west is going to be warm, but the east will hot and humid. I would defineitly try to focus on an ares you can't blast off to the weekend for.

If you do hit up Seneca are the climb's that were particularly memorable for me:

West Pole, 5.7
Climb and Punishment, 5.8
The Burn, 5.8
Ye God's and little fishes, 5.8
Pleasent Overhangs, 5.7
Neck Press, 5.7
Traffic Jam, 5.7 (short)
Exstacy, 5.7 (overated)
Green wall, 5.7 (overated)

Agree (at least skip the last two if pressed for time). I would also add Triple S - 5.8, Soler - 5.7, Lichen or Leave It - 5.8 and Conn's East Direct linkup with Alcoa Present (5.8)

lucander

Nov 5, 2009, 10:17 PM
Post #20 of 43 (31623 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hyhuu] Eastern U.S. hitlist suggestions... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Buy a guidebook or two:

Peter Lewis & Dave Horowitz, "Classic Climbs in the Northeast" by Mountaineers Press. I've done 3/4 of the routes in here, very one of them was worth basing a day on. This book covers highlights of the best crags: Gunks, Cannon, N. Conway, Cathedral, Whitehorse, Adirondacks. It is best for directions to finding routes and clear topos.

Stewart Green, "Rock Climbing New England" by Falcon Press. This will often be too much information, but it covers the region quite well. Be aware that it does not cover anything in New York, which by region, history, rock, and climbing culture is very much part of "the northeast."

Rumney's a pile, avoid it - especially if you've been to a good sport crag like the Red, New, or Rumblin Bald.

DL

dynosore

Nov 5, 2009, 10:21 PM
Post #21 of 43 (31618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

2-3 weeks? Go west young man, go west!

IsayAutumn

Nov 5, 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #22 of 43 (31613 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Eastern U.S. hitlist suggestions... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
2-3 weeks? Go west young man, go west!

Nah, you should use those 2-3 weeks to visit as many rock gyms on the east coast as possible. Forget climbing outside, that shit can get you killed.

tradmanclimbs

Nov 6, 2009, 1:52 AM
Post #23 of 43 (31591 views)
Shortcut

Re: [IsayAutumn] Eastern U.S. hitlist suggestions... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Stewart green guides suck...
full of missinfo and hearsay..

Yes they should go west at some point but they should also get to know their end of the country first. Let this just be the first roadtrip of manyCool

lucander

Nov 6, 2009, 4:47 PM
Post #24 of 43 (31527 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradmanclimbs] Eastern U.S. hitlist suggestions... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've climbed extensively throughout New England with Green's book and have nothing to complain about, are you just upset that he included some of Vermont's "secret" crags as well as that gem called Owl's Head in New Hampshire?

Sure, one can buy a number of locally specific books that are better, but the cost will rise. After getting Butterfield's Acadia, Handren's Cathedral & Whitehorse, Webster's New Hampshire, that bad Falcon book on Connecticut, and maybe Smith's Rumney guide you've spent way more than the $35 charged for Rock Climbing New England.

DL
In reply to:

tradmanclimbs

Nov 6, 2009, 5:34 PM
Post #25 of 43 (31508 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lucander] Eastern U.S. hitlist suggestions... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Naw, stewert pissed me off because he got the beta so wrong on my local crag. I coulkd tell from the description that he had never been there and most likly just talked to the guy from a nearby outdoors store who had not climbed in 20years and even then was just a top roper.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook