Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
trad rack 4 arkansas
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

kelbro28

Oct 29, 2009, 6:53 PM
Post #1 of 5 (4288 views)
Shortcut

trad rack 4 arkansas  (North_America: United_States: Arkansas)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

looking for advice for building my trad rack. mainly for the cracks at horseshoe but sam's and areas nearby as well. from what i've seen it looks like i need alot of hand and larger type gear but would like input. thanks

dolphja

Oct 29, 2009, 7:02 PM
Post #2 of 5 (4279 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kelbro28] trad rack 4 arkansas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i just got back from sam's and cave creek this past weekend. on one route i used nothing but nuts and small hexes. i found that your mid range cams will come in handy for most of the sam's climbs. i haven't done any trad at HCR yet

jolery

Nov 5, 2009, 6:10 PM
Post #3 of 5 (4222 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't done much trad at HCR, but at other Arkansas crags I end up using BD cams #1 and #2 more than other sizes, also Metolius TCU's or equivalent are good shit, especially the smaller ones 00, 0, 1 - I'm constantly plugging those guys in, they're really versatile and work great on Arkansas horizontals and other features.

crzdriver

Nov 16, 2009, 2:32 AM
Post #4 of 5 (4154 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jolery] trad rack 4 arkansas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We don't have many "splitter" type cracks here, so it is not uncommon to find a crack that starts with small hands turn into a double-fisted monster at the top. My advice around here would be to keep your rack diverse and flexible. That should define your style around here as well. The passive stuff may be cheap, but learn to put it in correctly! Good luck!

bigfatrock

Jan 5, 2010, 5:19 PM
Post #5 of 5 (3956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have climbed several trad routes at HCR. I haven't really placed anything above a BD #4 and that was only one one route, Dancing Bear. I may have even done it without the #4, can't remember for sure. You should climb Gilgamesh Vagina though in the Confederate Cracks area, it's an awesome 5.9 off width climb. I don't think the rating is too accurate though as I have yet to do a trad route above 5.8 other than that one.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook