Forums: Community: Campground:
You are not wanted here.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 ... 4213 Next page Last page  View All

Arrogant_Bastard

Nov 30, 2009, 5:18 PM
Post #8101 of 105309 (7508 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dominic7] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dominic7 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
I know I've been out of the loop for a while with this whole job applying thing, but why pdf?

I do it so they can't open it up and see all the changes I've made to it over the years. I'm not too worried about someone messing with it, but I suppose that could be a concern.

Durp. The changes could be accidental though. Word is a dynamic program that stores information in a sort of vector format and how one person has theirs set up can be very different from another. I use styles a lot in Word. I'm not stupid enough to save over the default styles but I've seen people do it. Now if that person opens your DOC it's going to be in their fucked up format. Especially now with several forms of MS Office in heavy use.

Margins can float around a lot on word. I had my footer (all my contact information) not print out on a resume I sent my company. They passed the printout sans any contact information around to people in the office who all says "well, looks like a good guy to hire, but who the fuck is stupid enough not to put contact information on a resume".

Not that you'd have TMs, Copyrights, or say the degrees bubble - but such upper ASCII text often gets botched.

Putting it into PDF freezes everything into bitmap format. WYSIWYG. You can see exactly how it's going to look, lock it, and send it off in a much smaller and easier to open format.

Fuck, this serious posting shit is for the birds.

It's not actually a bitmap format, though this is a pretty good explanation. The history is that Adobe was the leading developer of Postscript, which was the "language" that standardized how computers talked to printers: defining the protocol by which any combination of printers and computers would produce visibly identical printouts. The Portable Document Format (PDF) is actually Postscript-compliant and has extensions to markup document properties, bookmarks, etc. I know all this useless trivia because my first jorb out of college was to write software that allowed one to fill in form fields on a PDF so I had to hack extensions onto the format.

You will Read All That! ^^

PC++

Arrogant_Bastard

Nov 30, 2009, 5:20 PM
Post #8102 of 105309 (7505 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
dominic7 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
I know I've been out of the loop for a while with this whole job applying thing, but why pdf?

I do it so they can't open it up and see all the changes I've made to it over the years. I'm not too worried about someone messing with it, but I suppose that could be a concern.

Durp. The changes could be accidental though. Word is a dynamic program that stores information in a sort of vector format and how one person has theirs set up can be very different from another. I use styles a lot in Word. I'm not stupid enough to save over the default styles but I've seen people do it. Now if that person opens your DOC it's going to be in their fucked up format. Especially now with several forms of MS Office in heavy use.

Margins can float around a lot on word. I had my footer (all my contact information) not print out on a resume I sent my company. They passed the printout sans any contact information around to people in the office who all says "well, looks like a good guy to hire, but who the fuck is stupid enough not to put contact information on a resume".

Not that you'd have TMs, Copyrights, or say the degrees bubble - but such upper ASCII text often gets botched.

Putting it into PDF freezes everything into bitmap format. WYSIWYG. You can see exactly how it's going to look, lock it, and send it off in a much smaller and easier to open format.

It's not actually a bitmap format, though this is a pretty good explanation. The history is that Adobe was the leading developer of Postscript, which was the "language" that standardized how computers talked to printers: defining the protocol by which any combination of printers and computers would produce visibly identical printouts. The Portable Document Format (PDF) is actually Postscript-compliant and has extensions to markup document properties, bookmarks, etc. I know all this useless trivia because my first jorb out of college was to write software that allowed one to fill in form fields on a PDF so I had to hack extensions onto the format.

Donny7 cupz his own balls?

Actually, on the subject, the formatting of my 400 page dissertation was a nightmare, and a lot of the guidelines that they required were very difficult to get MS Office to do, especially in terms of page numbering. The night before I had to submit my dissertation, I could NOT for the life of me get the intro's roman numeral page numbers to omit page i and ii, and start on page iii (stupid rule). I was ready to smash my computer and go all Kaczynski on the college of grad studies

So clausti came up with a brilliant idea. We put opaque white circles over the i and ii page numbers, and then immediately transferred the file over into PDF format, where it remains to this day. heh.

^^^yore not reading that^^^

Or you could just click the button in Word that says to skip page 1, and move your cover page to a separate DOC. PDF both, then recombine in Acrobat.

Arrogant_Bastard

Nov 30, 2009, 5:21 PM
Post #8103 of 105309 (7505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
dominic7 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Actually, on the subject, the formatting of my 400 page dissertation was a nightmare, and a lot of the guidelines that they required were very difficult to get MS Office to do, especially in terms of page numbering. The night before I had to submit my dissertation, I could NOT for the life of me get the intro's roman numeral page numbers to omit page i and ii, and start on page iii (stupid rule). I was ready to smash my computer and go all Kaczynski on the college of grad studies

So clausti came up with a brilliant idea. We put opaque white circles over the i and ii page numbers, and then immediately transferred the file over into PDF format, where it remains to this day. heh.

I'm not positive because I've never tried it, but perhaps setting the "Start at page:" option to '-1' might work too.

Arrogant_Bastard

Nov 30, 2009, 5:21 PM
Post #8104 of 105309 (7505 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
camhead wrote:
dominic7 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Hmmm, and here I would have just used 2 different word files.

He's a PHD, they like to make things seem hard.

Arrogant_Bastard

Nov 30, 2009, 5:22 PM
Post #8105 of 105309 (7505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
sungam wrote:
camhead wrote:
dominic7 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

tried that. only way it would have worked would have been to put them all together separately into one pdf (i.e., when I tried to combine multiple docs into one doc, it failzed to retain the numbering patterns), which I could not figure out how to do at that time.

GUd

You just hit "insert -> pages"

Arrogant_Bastard

Nov 30, 2009, 5:23 PM
Post #8106 of 105309 (7576 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoopy138] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
camhead wrote:
sungam wrote:
camhead wrote:
dominic7 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

tried that. only way it would have worked would have been to put them all together separately into one pdf (i.e., when I tried to combine multiple docs into one doc, it failzed to retain the numbering patterns), which I could not figure out how to do at that time.

Print both docs to pdf. Open one of them. Document -> Insert Pages.

Dammit!

Arrogant_Bastard

Nov 30, 2009, 5:23 PM
Post #8107 of 105309 (7579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
camhead wrote:
sungam wrote:
camhead wrote:
dominic7 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Yes, I intend on keeping this PDF discussion rolling as long as possible.

Arrogant_Bastard

Nov 30, 2009, 5:25 PM
Post #8108 of 105309 (7595 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wanderlustmd] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wanderlustmd wrote:
sungam wrote:
wanderlustmd wrote:
sungam wrote:
wanderlustmd wrote:
sungam wrote:
wanderlustmd wrote:
Sounds like Ekop is having an airport epic.
Hehe, yup.
Hey dubbaya emm dee, how's the ice forming up over there? We're mostly in the middleground of shitty cold weather but with ice only forming in a few places.
Ice is nada so far.
They are talking about colder temps this coming week, but down here it's still supposed to be in the mid-40s.

It should be coming in within the next few weeks (I'd hope!)
Cool, sounds like our forcast a week or two ago. There's no ice yet, it' all super thin hoar and frozen turf.

BTW, I know I should GU or get a better memory, but are you a student/what do you work as?
I'm in a teacher certification program, so I work in a classroom and take classes. I make a bit of money as a freelance writer.
So you're hoping to be a teacher, right?

Jezez fukin christ. I sound like Oprah doing an interview. It's sad days when procrastination come to this.
No, just doing the teacher certification for fun. You brainless twit.

Wink

Yes, I'll be certified for grades K-8, if they don't kick me out of the program.

How bout you two go make your own thread elsewhere

Arrogant_Bastard

Nov 30, 2009, 5:27 PM
Post #8109 of 105309 (7591 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
If you didn't see it on stalkbook, I had some issues leaving reno this morning..

Oh Jesus Christ... will you two stop with the drama. Off again, on again, off again, on again. I'm sure the make-up sects is grate, but we don't want to hear about it.

snoopy138

Post #8110 of 105309 (7591 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
dominic7 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

I'll quote it one more time because I know these are the types of posts that people hate seeing.

durp.

Arrogant_Bastard

Post #8111 of 105309 (7588 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wanderlustmd] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wanderlustmd wrote:
epoch wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
epoch wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:
epoch wrote:
I'm getting rid of my photobucket account. Links will be broken...

Cest la vie.

WHy?
picassa is readily accessable from the new yuppie phone, and I like the interface better. Those last two shots were taken from the fone.

I'm accomodating my life to a product that I purchased. And it makes sense to me.
That is ghey
I knew how it sounded when I wrote it.

Besides, there's too much clutter on photobucket. I like the layout of picassa.
Picasa is better.

itz troo.

Picassa stocking!

Arrogant_Bastard

Nov 30, 2009, 5:28 PM
Post #8112 of 105309 (7587 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
I don't know how I feel about limestone. Chossy as shit and my hands still hurt from those awful pockets. Blargh. I miss my schist and granite.

pussy

Arrogant_Bastard

Post #8113 of 105309 (7587 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
my hands

I am cromfuzed.

HAHAHAHAHA

snoopy138

Post #8114 of 105309 (7587 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
camhead wrote:
sungam wrote:
camhead wrote:
dominic7 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Dammit!

you were rong. well, it's possible the menus are different on whatever version of Acrobat you have.

Arrogant_Bastard

Nov 30, 2009, 5:29 PM
Post #8115 of 105309 (7584 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
curt wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
I don't know how I feel about limestone. Chossy as shit and my hands still hurt from those awful pockets. Blargh. I miss my schist and granite.

That's God's own stone you are complaining about.

Suck it up. Climbing at different areas on different rock makes you a better climber.

Mal told me I could get to Penitente in under three hours with some crazy backroads driving. Might check it out next week.

You do realize that Penitente climbing involves sharp rhyolite edges and pockets, right? Just curious.

Curt

Yes. I need to bleed out my pussyness.

No babies this month?

snoopy138

Nov 30, 2009, 5:29 PM
Post #8116 of 105309 (7584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
camhead wrote:
sungam wrote:
camhead wrote:
dominic7 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

I was under the impression PDFs use vector graphics. donny, yes/no?

Arrogant_Bastard

Nov 30, 2009, 5:32 PM
Post #8117 of 105309 (7580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Woo!

Arrogant_Bastard

Nov 30, 2009, 5:33 PM
Post #8118 of 105309 (7580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
camhead wrote:
sungam wrote:
camhead wrote:
dominic7 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

I have already adressed this in one of mah posts.

snoopy138

Nov 30, 2009, 5:46 PM
Post #8119 of 105309 (7575 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
camhead wrote:
sungam wrote:
camhead wrote:
dominic7 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

I have already adressed this in one of mah posts.

all I saw was some talk about Word using vector format and PDF freezing it into a bitmap, which donny already told you was RONG.

snoopy138

Nov 30, 2009, 8:21 PM
Post #8120 of 105309 (7558 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
camhead wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
dominic7 wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
Update!

Just did the same ryde. Their was a rather irritating wind this thyme. We moved faster nevertheless. Day 2 iz harder.

Back to our regularly scheduled tawk of jtree zends and fials.

Or Red Rawks. How is teh zending going?

We just did date climz in red rawkz. I did finally break down and get the new Handren guide as I'm sick of SuperTacko and Roxanna. Picked a new route on Thanksgiving day called Purblind Pillar on the Angel Food Wall that actually turned out to be pretty fun.

The idea of you on a bike makes me laff.

Got you beat. Did a two hour approach to the very upper back-end of Juniper Canyon on Saturday. 5 mins from the base of teh climbz and the gf falls into a cactus. One of the needles broke of, lodging into her thigh so it felt like she was getting jabbed every time she moved a certain way. Then she had an allergic reaction. I pushed the rest of the group on to the wall, turned around and hiked back out - much slower this time - to get her to urgent care. Fucking kick ass.

Decided to just clippity clip on Sunday so we ventured into the 1st and 2nd pullout shit show. Found a Handren guide laying around that nobody claimed. Yet somehow just before we were ready to go it disappeared. Fuck.

Then it was an eight hour ride home. That was really the highlight of the trip.

RR is becoming my own personal EPC.

Sorry to hear about Tish's incident!

I think zeke has dubbed RR Potrero North.

I've only climbed there that one day with you guys, so I don't have too much of an opinion about the place. Some of the stuff we did was good, some of it was pretty ordinary.

we didn't exactly hit the megaclassics that day.

no, no we did not. Those two we all did were a little junky, and that steep .11a handcrack was pretty fun, considering it was 25 feet long and I broke a couple feet at the crux.

Left Out was legitimately a good route, and that thing with blutarski's .5 to the right was a decent .9.

Oh, and we decided that Snupe failzed on Left Out, seeing as how he was there and did not attempt. Woo! Glory!

It was dark?

There was adequate light for a TR run.

it was much more fun saving it for teh lede (since a TR run = fIal) and watching you struggle to clean on teh lower.

Yes, but now you have to go back there. FIAL.

I'd still have to go back there even if just TRd it. It's not like it's an hour and a half into a canyon.

The real question is whether I should ever go back to Inti Watana to do the last four pitches. It's 2+ hours of misery to get to.

meh. I don't know if it was so good as to warrant a return visit to lead after TRing it.

You're on your own for that Inti Watana thing. The chances of me ever getting there to do it at all are slim.

I'd have to be out there in April or May. It'd depend on whether Will wanted to get back on it, really. Though it'd be a gud rowt for you and blutarski to do in January.

Well, we are faster and better climbers than you and Will, and we aren't big pussies either. January it iz! Woo!

Woo!

*kamhed shitz pantz in rage ...

... at jiant quote stringz*

My bowels are empty.

so are yore quote stringz.

x-posted!

Partner camhead

Nov 30, 2009, 8:28 PM
Post #8121 of 105309 (7551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
snoopy138 wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
camhead wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
dominic7 wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
Update!

Just did the same ryde. Their was a rather irritating wind this thyme. We moved faster nevertheless. Day 2 iz harder.

We just did date climz in red rawkz. I did finally break down and get the new Handren guide as I'm sick of SuperTacko and Roxanna. Picked a new route on Thanksgiving day called Purblind Pillar on the Angel Food Wall that actually turned out to be pretty fun.

Got you beat. Did a two hour approach to the very upper back-end of Juniper Canyon on Saturday. 5 mins from the base of teh climbz and the gf falls into a cactus. One of the needles broke of, lodging into her thigh so it felt like she was getting jabbed every time she moved a certain way. Then she had an allergic reaction. I pushed the rest of the group on to the wall, turned around and hiked back out - much slower this time - to get her to urgent care. Fucking kick ass.

Decided to just clippity clip on Sunday so we ventured into the 1st and 2nd pullout shit show. Found a Handren guide laying around that nobody claimed. Yet somehow just before we were ready to go it disappeared. Fuck.

I've only climbed there that one day with you guys, so I don't have too much of an opinion about the place. Some of the stuff we did was good, some of it was pretty ordinary.

no, no we did not. Those two we all did were a little junky, and that steep .11a handcrack was pretty fun, considering it was 25 feet long and I broke a couple feet at the crux.

Left Out was legitimately a good route, and that thing with blutarski's .5 to the right was a decent .9.

Oh, and we decided that Snupe failzed on Left Out, seeing as how he was there and did not attempt. Woo! Glory!

It was dark?

it was much more fun saving it for teh lede (since a TR run = fIal) and watching you struggle to clean on teh lower.

I'd still have to go back there even if just TRd it. It's not like it's an hour and a half into a canyon.

The real question is whether I should ever go back to Inti Watana to do the last four pitches. It's 2+ hours of misery to get to.

meh. I don't know if it was so good as to warrant a return visit to lead after TRing it.

You're on your own for that Inti Watana thing. The chances of me ever getting there to do it at all are slim.

I'd have to be out there in April or May. It'd depend on whether Will wanted to get back on it, really. Though it'd be a gud rowt for you and blutarski to do in January.

Well, we are faster and better climbers than you and Will, and we aren't big pussies either. January it iz! Woo!

Woo!

My bowels are empty.

x-posted!

what can I say? I expel shit from quotes and from my ass.

snoopy138

Nov 30, 2009, 8:33 PM
Post #8122 of 105309 (7546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
snoopy138 wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
camhead wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
dominic7 wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
Update!

It was dark?

Woo!

My bowels are empty.

x-posted!

what can I say? I expel shit from quotes and from my ass.

this post was expelled from your ass?

I'd believe it.

caughtinside

Nov 30, 2009, 9:01 PM
Post #8123 of 105309 (7516 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So I was bored and finally clicked on the 'how to survive a free solo' thread. It was SO worth it!! If you guys haven't seen it yet, watch the video in there, truly amazing stuff. Watch the guy's footwork, unbelieveable.

Partner camhead

Nov 30, 2009, 9:19 PM
Post #8124 of 105309 (7491 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
So I was bored and finally clicked on the 'how to survive a free solo' thread. It was SO worth it!! If you guys haven't seen it yet, watch the video in there, truly amazing stuff. Watch the guy's footwork, unbelieveable.

definitely worth it. that guy (and the cameraman) are grade A toolsheds.

caughtinside

Nov 30, 2009, 9:26 PM
Post #8125 of 105309 (7490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

definitely worth it. that guy (and the cameraman) are grade A toolsheds.

I may just watch it again I enjoyed it so much.

First page Previous page 1 ... 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 ... 4213 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook