Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

brya7989

Dec 13, 2009, 5:59 PM
Post #1 of 75 (6283 views)
Shortcut

How to plan your basic climb.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is a little doc. that I prepared for my composition class for school. I had to compress a lot of information, so all of you salty dogs out there, don't get your ropes in a knot.
Attachments: Rock Climbing Trip.docx (13.7 KB)

asaxton

Dec 13, 2009, 6:36 PM
Post #2 of 75 (6258 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brya7989] How to plan your basic climb. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yep, that's a freshmen english paper alright.

brya7989

Dec 13, 2009, 7:09 PM
Post #3 of 75 (6234 views)
Shortcut

Re: [asaxton] How to plan your basic climb. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I got a 97 on it, like I said I had to compress a lot of info. No way to insert much more under the constraints. What can I add to make it more informative?

currupt4130

Dec 13, 2009, 7:32 PM
Post #4 of 75 (6213 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Wow. I'm sorry. Your teacher sucks. The education you're getting for your money is garbage if that paper got you a 97 in a college level English class. That's something I'd expect to read from a freshman or sophomore in high school.

jt512

Dec 13, 2009, 7:46 PM
Post #5 of 75 (6202 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

brya7989 wrote:
This is a little doc. that I prepared for my composition class for school. I had to compress a lot of information, so all of you salty dogs out there, don't get your ropes in a knot.

You're a graduate math student, according to your profile. How is it you're taking freshman comp, anyway?

Jay

lena_chita

Dec 13, 2009, 8:21 PM
Post #6 of 75 (6173 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] How to plan your basic climb. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I like the closing paragraph:

In reply to:
Now you know what it is like to hang from a ledge one hundred feet off of the ground. You have now successfully researched and planned, a safe and memorable rock climbing trip.

It would be priceless, if it weren't so sad.

brya7989

Dec 13, 2009, 9:01 PM
Post #7 of 75 (6145 views)
Shortcut

Re: [currupt4130] How to plan your basic climb. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am sorry to offend you buddy. I think you are probably an insignificant little man with with a bad attitude. What is your excuse for not posting something positive. If you think you can post something without plagiarizing, then we would like to see it. Post up or shut up!

brya7989

Dec 13, 2009, 9:08 PM
Post #8 of 75 (6138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as being a graduate math student, that I am not. I do not know who's profile you were checking out but it was not mine.

jt512

Dec 13, 2009, 9:10 PM
Post #9 of 75 (6137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

brya7989 wrote:
As far as being a graduate math student, that I am not. I do not know who's profile you were checking out but it was not mine.

Oops. You're right. I had clicked on asaxton's profile.

Jay

Carnage

Dec 13, 2009, 9:38 PM
Post #10 of 75 (6117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

as someone who is about to graduate with an engineering degree i can say that to pass college, you do not need to know how to write. I'm pretty sure my writing skill has not increased since sophomore year of highschool and i can still get mostly A's on all my papers. People have never said i am a good writer, infact, my high school teachers would joke about how bad of a writer I was. yet still i get A's.

also, i have never proofread a single paper that i have turned in in college. it is obvious too. There are blatant typos and stuff, yet still they give me a good grade....

johnwesely

Dec 13, 2009, 9:48 PM
Post #11 of 75 (6111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

brya7989 wrote:
What is your excuse for not posting something positive.

Maybe it is because your paper sucks?

johnwesely

Dec 13, 2009, 9:49 PM
Post #12 of 75 (6109 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Carnage] How to plan your basic climb. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Carnage wrote:
as someone who is about to graduate with an engineering degree i can say that to pass college, you do not need to know how to write. I'm pretty sure my writing skill has not increased since sophomore year of highschool and i can still get mostly A's on all my papers. People have never said i am a good writer, infact, my high school teachers would joke about how bad of a writer I was. yet still i get A's.

also, i have never proofread a single paper that i have turned in in college. it is obvious too. There are blatant typos and stuff, yet still they give me a good grade....

Maybe not for an engineering degree, but if you can write in a writing intensive major, then you are screwed.

currupt4130

Dec 13, 2009, 10:10 PM
Post #13 of 75 (6089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

brya7989 wrote:
I am sorry to offend you buddy. I think you are probably an insignificant little man with with a bad attitude. What is your excuse for not posting something positive. If you think you can post something without plagiarizing, then we would like to see it. Post up or shut up!

Sorry, I couldn't find anything positive to say about a college paper that was written at the high school level.

You didn't offend me. Have a nice day. Cool

currupt4130

Dec 13, 2009, 10:26 PM
Post #14 of 75 (6071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Carnage wrote:

To get out of college with an engineering degree you don't need to able to write especially well. More and more though, schools are focusing on giving their engineering students a better background in writing and communication to make them more attractive to employers. I know Va Tech has been doing this for a while.

We have a couple basic English classes, a technical writing class, and a lot of labs that are very writing intensive when it comes to the actual write up.

Sure, you don't have to have good written communication to graduate college, but it's a hell of a skill to posses when you're in the professional world and written correspondence is crucial. It's true more than ever with the state of the economy and the crunch for jobs. Employers don't want to hire people who can't communicate unless they're sticking them in a corner just to crunch numbers all day every day.

Partner rgold

Dec 13, 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #15 of 75 (6070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Carnage wrote:

Right. Faulty engineering communication skills are one of the reasons the Challenger crashed. And the plethora of incredibly badly written user manuals are an ongoing tribute to the need for engineers who are capable of expressing themselves with clarity and precision.

wanderlustmd

Dec 13, 2009, 10:32 PM
Post #16 of 75 (6064 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
brya7989 wrote:

Oops. You're right. I had clicked on asaxton's profile.

Jay
Holy shit, Jay was actually wrong.

wanderlustmd

Dec 13, 2009, 10:33 PM
Post #17 of 75 (6059 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Carnage wrote:

As someone who spent several years working with engineers, this is 100% true. One dude consistently spelled the word "laser" as "layzer."

petsfed

Dec 13, 2009, 10:44 PM
Post #18 of 75 (6047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

I had breakfast with a bunch of English graduate students this morning. They all teach 100 level English classes. I should show this to a few of them.

As far as instructive essays go, your topic was MUCH too broad. It would be like trying to write a 750 word essay on driving. Lets face it Jimmy, you left out so much detail as to do a gross disservice to the material.

I'm impressed that your teacher let you get away with that "step one, step two" garbage. Mind you, my girlfriend gets pretty excited if one of her students manages to follow the "hot to build a thesis" worksheet she passes out for every single paper she assigns, so maybe your teacher is just as accustomed to borderline illiteracy from the rest of their students.

As general instructive papers go, yours is regional, but without an admission as such. It may seem like a dumb thing, but clarifying which state you're talking about climbing in makes some of the specific statements a lot more useful. I, for instance, tape my hands a lot, but not when I climb sandstone. And I never tape my fingers due to abrasion. Maybe this is just a southern thing, but all of my friends from Nashville, Clemson, and Athens don't really tape for abrasive southern sandstone.

You get lost in your own terminology an awful lot too. Even though I knew what you were trying to say,
In reply to:
an underhand grab works best for clings
is hard to parse. Perhaps you should've said that certain holds are more effective with different body positions. For instance, a hold that you must point your fingers up into (like certain drawer handles ) requires that you push upwards with your feet to generate oppositional forces.

Knock off the first person commentary, yeah? Unless you're giving a speech, it really undercuts your credibility.

Again, I'm impressed that your teacher looked the other way for such egregious comma abuse. Reading this paper was like listening to William Shatner speak. Just because you pause for emphasis doesn't mean that a comma is grammatically correct there.

(This post was edited by petsfed on Dec 13, 2009, 10:45 PM)

asaxton

Dec 13, 2009, 10:52 PM
Post #19 of 75 (6026 views)
Shortcut

Re: [currupt4130] How to plan your basic climb. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

<--------- is crying for our education system.Frown

And I think we should let this thread die now. The kid got beat up enough.

Keep working on your writing, don't give up!

(This post was edited by asaxton on Dec 13, 2009, 10:54 PM)

cjon3s

Dec 13, 2009, 11:07 PM
Post #20 of 75 (6006 views)
Shortcut

Re: [asaxton] How to plan your basic climb. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright.. really? That got you a 97?

JT, it's usually a freshman requirement to have to take some kind of composition course.

Corrupt. I totally agree with you about increased communication studies within engineering courses. I've done more writing in my engineering studies than I have in my english course.

And just one question.. in your paper brya.. you say that you need to pick your climbing rope based on the type of rock you'll be climbing.. care to elaborate..? I use the same rope for all rock.. unless I misinterpreted what you read.

jt512

Dec 13, 2009, 11:12 PM
Post #21 of 75 (6003 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cjon3s] How to plan your basic climb. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cjon3s wrote:
Alright.. really? That got you a 97?

JT, it's usually a freshman requirement to have to take some kind of composition course.

Corrupt. I totally agree with you about increased communication studies within engineering courses. I've done more writing in my engineering studies than I have in my english course.

And just one question.. in your paper brya.. you say that you need to pick your climbing rope based on the type of rock you'll be climbing.. care to elaborate..? I use the same rope for all rock.. unless I misinterpreted what you read.

Where did you learn that ".." is a punctuation mark, English or engineering?

Jay

cjon3s

Dec 13, 2009, 11:16 PM
Post #22 of 75 (5999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

English. haha.

testpilot

Dec 14, 2009, 12:14 AM
Post #23 of 75 (5938 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cjon3s] How to plan your basic climb. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Let's give the guy a break. Maybe he getting good grades from his teacher for other reasons....
In fact, he might be knockin it out right now while we sit here and grade his paper.

marc801

Dec 14, 2009, 12:51 AM
Post #24 of 75 (5909 views)
Shortcut

Re: [testpilot] How to plan your basic climb. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm surprised that so many folks opened a MS Word document simply on the claim of the OP as to what was in it.

asaxton

Dec 14, 2009, 1:09 AM
Post #25 of 75 (5890 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] How to plan your basic climb. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I have a Mac :-P

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook