Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dumbsocrates

Dec 21, 2009, 6:52 PM
Post #1 of 33 (16139 views)
Shortcut

Climbing accident on Highwire, west of Golden, CO
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://www.denverpost.com/...i_14039321?source=bb

The comment below the article gives more information.

(This post was edited by dumbsocrates on Dec 21, 2009, 6:59 PM)

bill413

Dec 21, 2009, 7:18 PM
Post #2 of 33 (16102 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dumbsocrates] Climbing accident on Highwire, west of Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

DenverPost.com//Craig B. wrote:
being lowered when the end of the rope ran through his partner's belay device

Unimpressed

I'm glad he is surviving - albeit with hip damage.

Partner cracklover

Dec 21, 2009, 8:12 PM
Post #3 of 33 (16041 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dumbsocrates] Climbing accident on Highwire, west of Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Any idea what the climb was?

GO

fdel13

Dec 21, 2009, 9:41 PM
Post #4 of 33 (15963 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Climbing accident on Highwire, west of Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Somone there commented they were using a 50m rope as well when climb requires 60m. Glad he's apparently okay.

Too bad it's not more of a best practice to tie a knot in end of line or take a similar preventive measure. I think there's a bit of a stigma attached to it, that to do so is n00b when "obviously" there's enough rope. However it doesn't take too much to change sometimes, for that to be a fatal mistake.

markc

Dec 21, 2009, 9:54 PM
Post #5 of 33 (15942 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fdel13] Climbing accident on Highwire, west of Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a habit of loosely knotting one end of the rope to a loop in my rope bag. I've considered dressing it a bit better, but my active ropes are all 60m, and I'm usually at familiar crags. I hope the climber mends well.

Here's the whole comment from the linked article:
Craig B wrote:
I was there when this happened and there are a couple of inaccuracies in this story. The most significant is that he fell far more than 20 feet. The fall was somewhere around 35 feet.

He was being lowered when the end of the rope ran through his partner's belay device. Based on the position of the rope after the accident, it appears he was climbing on a 50-meter rope. The climb he was on requires a 60-meter rope. A 50-meter rope is 33 feet too short.

He is very lucky to have survived that fall. Best wishes as he recovers.

(This post was edited by markc on Dec 21, 2009, 9:55 PM)

pfwein

Dec 21, 2009, 10:04 PM
Post #6 of 33 (15921 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fdel13] Climbing accident on Highwire, west of Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fdel13 wrote:

Somone there commented they were using a 50m rope as well when climb requires 60m. Glad he's apparently okay.

Too bad it's not more of a best practice to tie a knot in end of line or take a similar preventive measure. I think there's a bit of a stigma attached to it, that to do so is n00b when "obviously" there's enough rope. However it doesn't take too much to change sometimes, for that to be a fatal mistake.

Funny that we all have our experiences that, unless you climb with a bunch of different people in different places, may not reflect other people's all that closely.

There's certainly no stigma in tying a knot in the end of the rope in my little circle, either always or always except for when you know you are on a shorty climb and there is no question whatsoever of even getting close to an end.

And among anyone who uses the term "best practice" in connection with climbing, I've got to think knot in the end (or equivalent) is at the top of the list of things to make a "best practice." Certainly the most common cause of easily-preventable user error that I've seen.

Don't meant to bust of fdel13, just very surprised that someone has experienced the reported stigma--that would be like a stigma on checking that your knot is properly tied, locking biners are locked, etc.

markc

Dec 22, 2009, 1:37 AM
Post #7 of 33 (15849 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pfwein] Climbing accident on Highwire, west of Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pfwein wrote:
Don't meant to bust of fdel13, just very surprised that someone has experienced the reported stigma--that would be like a stigma on checking that your knot is properly tied, locking biners are locked, etc.

I recall a time when my circle of friends became a bit lax with partner checks, me included. It was when we started getting comfortable with climbing. I've seen not-quite-new people treat partner checks like an accusation of incompetence. Once you realize that you can go on auto-pilot and that really good climbers have checked out as a result, that line of thought stops cold.

bill413

Dec 22, 2009, 2:47 AM
Post #8 of 33 (15812 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Climbing accident on Highwire, west of Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a number of areas around here where you get looked at with amused tolerance if you knot the end of a rope. Most are climbs that are short...but some of them would tax a 50m. Still, people assume they know how long their ropes are.

Yeah, the low profile way is to leave one end tied into the rope bag.

And, even though the tolerance is amused - it is still tolerance. Go ahead and tie the knot.

timstich

Dec 23, 2009, 9:34 PM
Post #9 of 33 (15638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is it true that there are some places that other climbers laugh at knot tying? Anyone who would smirk at someone for tying a knot in the other end of their rope is a moron.

A girl either rappelled or was lowered off a short rope to her death at Cat Slab years ago. I always tie a knot just in case I grab the wrong rope or mixed up which one is longer, etc.

(This post was edited by timstich on Dec 23, 2009, 9:37 PM)

Gmburns2000

Dec 23, 2009, 9:56 PM
Post #10 of 33 (15617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
There are a number of areas around here where you get looked at with amused tolerance if you knot the end of a rope. Most are climbs that are short...but some of them would tax a 50m. Still, people assume they know how long their ropes are.

Yeah, the low profile way is to leave one end tied into the rope bag.

And, even though the tolerance is amused - it is still tolerance. Go ahead and tie the knot.

I nearly learned that lesson the hard way. I don't have any problem tying a back up knot. Shoot, I've done it in the gym when using the gym's ropes. I have no desire to fall suddenly when I thought I was being lowered smoothly.

Too bad. Hope the climber heals up well and has learned a lesson.

Partner angry

Dec 24, 2009, 12:23 PM
Post #11 of 33 (15517 views)
Shortcut

Re: [timstich] Climbing accident on Highwire, west of Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

timstich wrote:
Is it true that there are some places that other climbers laugh at knot tying? Anyone who would smirk at someone for tying a knot in the other end of their rope is a moron.

A girl either rappelled or was lowered off a short rope to her death at Cat Slab years ago. I always tie a knot just in case I grab the wrong rope or mixed up which one is longer, etc.

Don't forget that the "length" of a route is just a guess by some stoner. No-one drops a measuring tape down a route.

zeke_sf

Dec 24, 2009, 1:06 PM
Post #12 of 33 (15506 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Climbing accident on Highwire, west of Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
timstich wrote:

Don't forget that the "length" of a route is just a guess by some stoner. No-one drops a measuring tape down a route.

Whatever. Estimating route length in purple elephants is highly accurate.

olderic

Dec 24, 2009, 3:14 PM
Post #13 of 33 (15458 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Climbing accident on Highwire, west of Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:

Us old schoolers prefer "smoots" and "ears"

troutboy

Dec 24, 2009, 3:47 PM
Post #14 of 33 (15441 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Climbing accident on Highwire, west of Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:

Us real old schoolers prefer cubits.

TS

shoo

Dec 24, 2009, 4:35 PM
Post #15 of 33 (15407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:

Awesome.

bhickey

Dec 24, 2009, 10:05 PM
Post #16 of 33 (15355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:

I love seeing "Halfway to hell" when I walk to work.

timstich

Dec 25, 2009, 12:50 AM
Post #17 of 33 (15316 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bhickey] Climbing accident on Highwire, west of Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Someone is saying it was actually Highlander Crag and not Highwire over on mp.com

clmbr

Dec 26, 2009, 12:50 AM
Post #18 of 33 (15250 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Climbing accident on Highwire, west of Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tie a knot every time, even on short, well known climbs. I threw the rope over the edge of a 40ft climb we've done lots. Everyone had wandered off to look around,I glanced down, yep looked good, and rapped down only to feel my hand come up against something.It was the knot I'd tied and I still had 20 ft to go.

markc

Dec 26, 2009, 3:45 AM
Post #19 of 33 (15216 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clmbr] Climbing accident on Highwire, west of Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clmbr wrote:
Tie a knot every time, even on short, well known climbs. I threw the rope over the edge of a 40ft climb we've done lots. Everyone had wandered off to look around,I glanced down, yep looked good, and rapped down only to feel my hand come up against something.It was the knot I'd tied and I still had 20 ft to go.

I understand your perspective, but my opinion differs. I rarely tie stopper knots, even when rappelling multipitch routes. I understand and accept the risk I'm taking. I feel there are other steps I can take to protect myself, and there are occasions where stopper knots can do more harm than good.

I don't mean to offend, but there are a couple points in your story where you clearly weren't paying sufficient attention. Roughly estimating 40' of rope isn't difficult, and most people would pull a few extra arm-lengths for good measure. You pulled half that. You said you glanced down and everything looked good. If I'm not 100% certain both ends are down, I'll ask for verification, make sure I'm at the middle of the rope, etc. The stopper knot kept your ass off the deck, but there were two earlier steps that could have done the same.

edit-typo

(This post was edited by markc on Dec 26, 2009, 2:45 PM)

Toast_in_the_Machine

Dec 26, 2009, 12:31 PM
Post #20 of 33 (15170 views)
Shortcut

Re: [troutboy] Climbing accident on Highwire, west of Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

troutboy wrote:
olderic wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:

Us real old schoolers prefer cubits.

TS

I use the cubit measuring system all the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/...Man_Measurements.png

Partner robdotcalm

Dec 29, 2009, 4:02 AM
Post #21 of 33 (14988 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Climbing accident on Highwire, west of Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Having known several competent climbers who’ve been “lowered” into an accident because the end of the rope went through the belay device, I’ve commented about this in several threads on the subject. This past November, I ran across something new. I had a day of guided climbing. At the end of the day, we had some time for toproping. The guide started to belay me without a knot in his end of the rope. I asked that he put a knot there. He said it wasn’t necessary and only somebody who was unaware of what he was doing would put a knot in the rope. I said, “OK, I have a low level of awareness” and then knotted his end of the rope before I started up. He acted insulted. I was discouraged to think that in his job he teaches beginners.

Cheers,
Rob.calm

reno

Dec 29, 2009, 4:07 AM
Post #22 of 33 (14983 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] Climbing accident on Highwire, west of Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robdotcalm wrote:
The guide started to belay me without a knot in his end of the rope. I asked that he put a knot there. He said it wasn’t necessary and only somebody who was unaware of what he was doing would put a knot in the rope. I said, “OK, I have a low level of awareness” and then knotted his end of the rope before I started up.

That, good sir, kicks ass. Smile

onrockandice

Dec 29, 2009, 5:16 PM
Post #23 of 33 (14914 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] Climbing accident on Highwire, west of Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robdotcalm wrote:
He acted insulted. I was discouraged to think that in his job he teaches beginners.

Cheers,
Rob.calm

Not only that but:

* My guess is this was your first time and probably last time climbing with him. Extra measures matter.

* In one short day of climbing you can in no way measure someone's awareness. If Dingus was your belay and on *that* day there was 9 blondes in a conga line next to you Dingus would be fully unaware. You'd have no accidents but you'd also have no measure of his awareness. Wink (I'm only quoting Dingus here.)

* The guide is an idiot. Redundancy is safe climbing. A knot in the ends of the rope or tying in make a rope redundant. Without them you have one single point of protection.

* The only way I'd tip a guide is if I felt safe the whole time and well informed. Your guide would have been short a tip.

But I'm sure he was half your age and felt he knew twice as much. His awareness must have been something else.

dingus

Dec 29, 2009, 5:35 PM
Post #24 of 33 (14900 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onrockandice] Climbing accident on Highwire, west of Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onrockandice wrote:
* In one short day of climbing you can in no way measure someone's awareness. If Dingus was your belay and on *that* day there was 9 blondes in a conga line next to you Dingus would be fully unaware. You'd have no accidents but you'd also have no measure of his awareness. Wink (I'm only quoting Dingus here.)

Oh I'd be AWARE. I assure you. Hyper-aware.

DMT

onrockandice

Dec 29, 2009, 5:58 PM
Post #25 of 33 (14877 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Climbing accident on Highwire, west of Golden, CO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes but when someone shouted, "Take!" I'd really love to see your interpretation of the :cough: command. Angelic

EDIT: Crap! Just realized this was accident/injury. Mods! Sorry for taking it this direction. If you scrub it I'm sorry you had to. I won't take my comments any further. I had replied using a thin client that doesn't tell me which forum I'm in.

(This post was edited by onrockandice on Dec 29, 2009, 6:00 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook