Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Yosemite campsites booked already!??!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

climbingaz

Jan 15, 2010, 6:39 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2241 views)
Shortcut

Yosemite campsites booked already!??!  (North_America: United_States: California: Yosemite_National_Park: Yosemite_Valley)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I logged into the park website about an hour ago to reserve a site for 5/23 for a week and EVERYTHING is completely booked!! Today was the first day to reserve for May. I sort of forgot to wake up super early to get on the website, but STILL...I was suprised they went so fast.Frown

I did get a site for 5/2-5/7, but now I'm gonna have to try to rearrange our vacation.Unsure

Anyone know if this is common or if sites tend to open up later?

Thanks!

rock_fencer

Jan 15, 2010, 6:49 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2227 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingaz] Yosemite campsites booked already!??! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

very common! I spent three days there before getting a site at camp 4 for the week. My best advice is get to the Camp 4 kiosk - this is not the same as the one for the pines campground - at around 4:30-5 am on the first day you get there and secure a spot. This is the only foolproof way of getting camping in the valley i think. You can also sleep on a portaledge pretty much anywhere as long as your on the wall. Some people have luck just camping in the woods low key or sleeping in their cars and packing up every day.

After my experience at yosemite im hesitant to even head back there. Climbing is great but the crowds sucked majorly and put a huge damper on my mood. Some city yuppies were playing beer pong for f$Ks sake in camp 4. If your looking to enjoy nature get into the back country.

climbingaz

Jan 15, 2010, 6:58 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2214 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rock_fencer] Yosemite campsites booked already!??! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We've actually been going to Yosemite every single year for the past 8 years (we even got married there). Unfortunately we cannot do the "dirtbag" camping anymore because of our two-year old son. So that pretty much limits us to Upper, Lower or North Pines (unless we want to camp far away like Wawona - which we don't).

The last few years we've spent most of our time camping up at Tuolumne Meadows, but that 'aint gonna work this time because May is too early in the year to get up there.

himynameisgarrett

Jan 15, 2010, 7:53 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2177 views)
Shortcut

Re: Yosemite campsites booked already!??! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I live in sacramento now but I used to work there, live there and I've been going regularly for 7 years. The fact that everything has filled up already is very common, don't expect anything to open up. But be sure to check back often and even call for cancellations. They do happen! You can get lucky for sure if you're looking to switch days. And may is a decent time to go, but I consider everyday a decent time to go so what do I know. People complain about crowds... but what can you do?!
Like the person above me said... dirtbag it if you can! I do it yearly, have more fun that way, save mucho dinero, and almost never bother with reservations. I do have the upper hand with having lived there but to each his own.
Good luck with the rearrangements of your vacation!
See ya in the valleyCool

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook