Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Boulder, CO climbing in Febuary?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

changingone77

Feb 1, 2010, 6:31 AM
Post #1 of 5 (3298 views)
Shortcut

Boulder, CO climbing in Febuary?  (North_America: United_States: Colorado: Boulder_Area)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm visiting from Oregon, really want to get some climbing in outdoors. There's supposed to be highs in the upper 40's this week--is that too cold for climbing? I wouldn't think so, but I'm originally from AZ where I've never really had to climb in the cold. Is anyone climbing (other than ice) outdoors in boulder right now, at The Flatirons, Boulder Canyon, Flagstaff?

Also, are there climbs in the boulder area that are accessable by buss? I don't mind walking a few miles.

djlachelt

Feb 1, 2010, 7:05 AM
Post #2 of 5 (3287 views)
Shortcut

Re: [changingone77] Boulder, CO climbing in Febuary? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

40s are great if it's sunny. I was just on the Flatirons the last two weeks... in the 40s both times. A bit chilly as the sun started to go down but still great.

If you want to do the Flatirons be sure to check out Mountain Project for info about which areas are open now. Feb 1 - July 31 some of the areas are closed due to raptor nesting.

http://mountainproject.com/.../flatirons/105744231

There are lots of south facing crags in Boulder Canyon. Again MP is your friend. I don't think there is any bus service that would take you up the canyon. But there are some crags that are just inside the canyon. Many people run/jog/bike up the canyon so if you are up for a little hiking you could easily get in some nice climbs.

http://mountainproject.com/...der_canyon/105744581

I'm sure other folks will chime-in here and give you more beta. Probably someone will even invite you to join them.

Enjoy your time in the area,

-Jon

changingone77

Feb 1, 2010, 7:20 AM
Post #3 of 5 (3283 views)
Shortcut

Re: [djlachelt] Boulder, CO climbing in Febuary? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info! I'll definately have a better look through mountainproject.com.

Ideally, yeah, I'd be so grateful if someone would let me tag along. I'm so eager to climb at the moment that I was planning on just taking a hike to some of the Boulder crags to hopefully find someone toproping who won't mind belaying me for a spell.

scotty1974

Feb 2, 2010, 2:55 PM
Post #4 of 5 (3249 views)
Shortcut

Re: [changingone77] Boulder, CO climbing in Febuary? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, MP.com...plus there have also been a few threads about this on RC.com recently.

Truthfully it changes from day to day here...yesterday was great, tomorrow sucks. Really depends, but I'd would try.

The cliffs in Golden are pretty warmish all year round.
http://mountainproject.com/v/colorado/golden/north_table_mountaingolden_cliffs/105744249

(This post was edited by scotty1974 on Feb 2, 2010, 2:55 PM)

maldaly

Feb 2, 2010, 3:28 PM
Post #5 of 5 (3238 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scotty1974] Boulder, CO climbing in Febuary? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BoCan has bus service. Here's a link to the schedule: http://www3.rtd-denver.com/schedules/getSchedule.action?runboardId=101&routeId=N&routeType=12&serviceType=3

You'll need to hitchhike or catch a ride down because the bus won't stop for you except at Magnolia.

There are many, many good south facing crags in BoCan so take your pick. The Dome and Elephant Rock are within walking distance from downtown.

Eldo has great south facing stuff as well but you'll need to hitch. No bus service.

climb safe,
Mal

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook