Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Where in Westlake?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jeffkash

Feb 3, 2010, 5:34 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1653 views)
Shortcut

Where in Westlake?  (North_America: United_States: California: Los_Angeles_County: Mount_Olympus)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Where exactly in Westlake is this rock?

RNclimber

Feb 5, 2010, 12:06 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1621 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeffkash] Where in Westlake? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been here once with the guy that originally bolted this place. It is located by Sand Stone Peak. Google that place and look where the trail starts. At the parking area if you look up towards the peak, you can see a huge rock that looks like a giant thumb sticking up. Thats it. You do the same trail going towards Sand stone peak, but right at the end you pass the flight of stairs that lead to the peak and continue the trail and you wil see it to your left

RNclimber

Feb 5, 2010, 12:24 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are in luck. Im not to busy at work so I went to google maps and found the place for you. Go to google maps and put in "Circle X ranch mountain recreation" Zoom into that location and it will lead to you a facility looking place right next to "Yerba Buena Rd". Follow that road to the right and you will find a dirt parking lot tagged "Circle X Ranch Mountain Recreation" Just goggle map your way to this parking lot and follow the trail towards the peak, but not all the way up. Past the stairs on your left and continue (30-40 min hike). When you park here look towards the peak and you will find the "thumb" looking rock i mentioned in my last post. Hope that helps

jeffkash

Feb 5, 2010, 1:08 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1611 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RNclimber] Where in Westlake? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow! I definitely did not expect such a quick and thorough response! I really appreciate it as I live literally down the road from there!

Do you have any beta about the site?

Thanks!!!

RNclimber

Feb 5, 2010, 1:54 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1604 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I only climbed 4 routes there. I dont have a guide book becuase we went with the guy that bolted the routes. When I get home and check out my pictures I can tell you the ratings or approximate to them. If you have a facebook shoot me a PM and I will link you to mind, I have tons of pictures from the place. I believe I climbed from 10a-11b. I know there are a few routes in the 12 range on the other side where i climbed but just had no time to hop on them. I went with my fiance and a few first timers so we just did the easy routes.

some info: bolts are about 10-15 feet apart, so bring a good belayer. You can possible deck even after the 2nd bolt. open shuts at the top of the climbs. You can actually top out and stand on top of the crag

(This post was edited by RNclimber on Feb 5, 2010, 2:05 AM)

yodadave

May 30, 2011, 5:30 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1324 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RNclimber] Where in Westlake? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

any chance of posting a link to the google maps page for it, i can't seem to find the labelled parking lot on Yerba

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook