RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

jhump

Dec 9, 2002, 11:29 PM
Post #1 of 23 (2616 views)
Shortcut

The ever-useful windshirt
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am finally going to purchase a windshirt. I am deciding between the Marmot Driclime, and the EMS Windshear. Both are similarly designed, and currently available for $69. Does anyone have a preference or anything good to say about either? How does it fit into your layering? I am planning to replace my Exped fleece zip-T with mine.

Partner tim

Dec 10, 2002, 12:00 AM
Post #2 of 23 (2616 views)
Shortcut

The ever-useful windshirt [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You look at the Wild Things design yet?

That's been a mainstay of a lot of alpinists for a *long* time and it's tough as s--- too.

flamer

Dec 10, 2002, 12:04 AM
Post #3 of 23 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you climb rock in your Marmot dri-clime it will rip! But it's awesome other then that!
Josh

flying_dutchman

Dec 10, 2002, 12:27 AM
Post #4 of 23 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whats a windshirt? just a shirt that blocks the wind? y not just wear a sweater or fleece if its too cold

wouldn't pay $69 for a shirt for climbing. $20 mabe

[ This Message was edited by: flying_dutchman on 2002-12-09 17:20 ]

boretribe

Dec 10, 2002, 12:37 AM
Post #5 of 23 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I loved my Marmot DriClim. Lost it yesterday morning while bouldering I think it fell out of my crash pad. Unless somebody found a blue windshirt (med) at Stoney Point and wants to return it, I'll have to buy a new one. Where can you get one for $69?

I haven't had any problems with it ripping, and I do (did) climb in it, but could definitely see it happening. Actually I was surprised it didn't rip.

~Geoff

mike

Dec 10, 2002, 1:08 AM
Post #6 of 23 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Marmot Dri-clime windshirt and some Dri-clime pants. Very warm for the weight, but I don't think I would climb in them, I can see them ripping sooner or later.

evanmfreeman

Dec 10, 2002, 1:34 AM
Post #7 of 23 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i prefer just a shell windshirt, with out a driclime or other lining. it gives you more options in layering...

yeah, the really light ones will tear or snag when climbing rock, but they're great for ice and the approach, etc.

natec

Dec 10, 2002, 1:35 AM
Post #8 of 23 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go with the Marmot, I think its better made.

P.S. Would someone remind Crap to wash his. It smells.

greyghost

Dec 10, 2002, 2:29 AM
Post #9 of 23 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another vote for marmot.

don't stop the scream

jhump

Dec 10, 2002, 2:51 AM
Post #10 of 23 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Marmot- $69 in REI outlet flyer. Why a windshirt?
1. Functions as: base layer, mid layer, or shell
2. Slippery- so it functions as lube between the layers above or below it. Unlike fleece, which when layered feels like wearing a giant ace bandage.
3. Cuts wind like a waterproof shell, but is much more breatheable

jbrd528

Dec 10, 2002, 2:51 AM
Post #11 of 23 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an EMS and I have been climbing with it for 3 years now. It is still in great shape. The Marmot is very nice. I would have got it, but at the time it was alot more money and I also work for EMS so the discount was greater for the EMS.
Wild Things also makes a great windshirt, but it is not lined. I is alot more water repelant than the EMS or Marmot. If you want a little warmth go with the Marmot. If you just want it to break the wind and not add any warmth then go with the Wild Things EP wind shirt.

bradhill

Dec 10, 2002, 4:56 PM
Post #12 of 23 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love my Marmot windshirt, but recently I picked up a BD "Alpine Shirt" and you might want to look at that as an alternative. I've been wearing it a lot lately, and it's become my choice action shell for ice and snow. It's a very light single layer stretchy Schoeller fabric. Cuts wind and breathes like crazy, but is a lot more hydrophobic than the microfiber. Wet snow, dripping water, light rain or a spilled bit of water from a canteen rolls off it like a duck's back.

I do miss the chest pocket of the Marmot windshirt, though.

mountainmonkey

Dec 10, 2002, 5:10 PM
Post #13 of 23 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Marmot driclime wind shirt and pants and I love them. They are very breathable, wind and water resistant, have minimal insulation and they are LIGHT. I have had them for 3 years now and now I have to fix the jacket - the sleeve got caught in a tyrol on a steel cable. Other wise I was surprised how durable they actually are - I have been up chimneys and offwidths with them and I was impressed how well they held up. My only complaint is that they are 'slippery' in chimneys. They also keep you pretty dry in rain/snow, especially if you are wearing synthetics under them. By far they are my choice for alpine climbs.

Another thing to check out are the new 'soft shells' - but I don't know who makes the good ones.

marmot

Dec 10, 2002, 5:18 PM
Post #14 of 23 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jhump said
Quote:
2. Slippery- so it functions as lube between the layers above or below it.

Actually, it will act as a lube with the layer above it. The Dri-clime lining will catch on anything long sleeved underneath it.

flying_dutchman asked:
Quote:
y not just wear a sweater or fleece if its too cold

A couple of reasons for going with something like a dri-clime or similar windshirt.
1. Fleece and most sweaters don't cut wind. You need a separate shell to do this. Dri-clime (which is actually the lining of the dri-clime garments) has a light wind and water resistant nylon shell.
2. Layering--as has already been mentioned, these types of garments layer much better because they are thinner.
3. Weight and bulk--I picked up my dri-clime for packpacking originally. It has allowed me to drop a heavier, bulkier 200 wt. fleece jacket. I am just as warm with the dri-clime as I was with the fleece jacket and my rain shell over it. I just dropped the weight to a third (fleece vs. dri-clime). Yes I still carry the rain shell (I'm in western WA, it rains here)

I wouldn't climb in it. I'd be worried about ripping, but belaying, hiking to the approach I would in a heartbeat. If you can get it for $69, go for it, great price!

lmorton

Dec 10, 2002, 5:30 PM
Post #15 of 23 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a dri-clime and it is without question my favorite item of clothing.
I wear it hiking, biking, climbing (though do be careful about tearage), skiing, and just loafing around.

If price is a serious issue (though $69 for the best piece of clothing you'll own isn't bad at all) you might look for sales on the Lowe Alpine equivalent, which looks pretty much identical. I've seen it on sale for $40.

danl

Dec 10, 2002, 5:45 PM
Post #16 of 23 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've owned and climbed in a marmot windshirt for a few years now. Awsome for the spring or fall to cut the cold. it is also the ultimate for alpine.

As far as durability goes it has not been an issue. I don't climb with my elbows shoulders or body as a general rule. Though I have scummed through some chimneys with the windshirt on and it escaped free of damage.

I don't see why durability is such as issue for craggers unless you plan on climbing at vedawoo or the south platte all the time

jhump

Dec 10, 2002, 7:57 PM
Post #17 of 23 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

By lube above and below, I meant if you use an unlined windshirt like the Wildthings.

flying_dutchman

Dec 10, 2002, 8:19 PM
Post #18 of 23 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i bought a cheap fleece at the gap, works great cause it actually blocks wind and its not too bad in the rain. Its not as warm as quality fleeces that one can buy at a climbing store (i got like two of those) but the fact that it blocks wind well can actually make it warmer. One of those breathable shirts, a light wieght fleece and my cheap one on top kept me climbing very warm last weekend when the weather was just above zero degrees C.

moeman

Dec 10, 2002, 8:37 PM
Post #19 of 23 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why spend all that money when you can get an anorak from lands end or LL bean for a third of the price?

meataxe

Dec 10, 2002, 8:52 PM
Post #20 of 23 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm right around the corner from Mountain Equipment Coop, so I always check there first. They have house brand windshirt for $52 CDN (under $35 US). I think they ship to the US.

http://www.mec.ca

Everyone seems to like them, I may get one now.

lynne

Dec 10, 2002, 8:53 PM
Post #21 of 23 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have both the Marmot Vindi windshirt and the Marmot Driclime windshirt. I climb in the Vindi frequently. It's unlined, vented, and more durable than the light shell on the Driclime. It also only weighs a few ounces and takes practically zero pack space. I would never climb in the driclime - it's much too delicate IMO. It is a great alternative to 200 wt fleece, though. Much lighter and packs smaller.

lynnie

Dec 16, 2002, 5:41 PM
Post #22 of 23 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MEC is such a wonderful store. They DO ship to the US, but the shipping charge can sometimes out-price the value of buying from MEC. You should check to see if you are still saving money with that in mind. In addition, you HAVE to be a member to order from them online. That costs only $5.

However, personally, I think that MEC makes some of the most durable stuff around.

muffheadphish

Jan 20, 2003, 7:26 AM
Post #23 of 23 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just went skiing today at Mt. Hood with my EMS. The only problem was the lack of a cinch or gather at the waist, which let snow in--I could have fixed this by simply tucking in the shirt i think. The Marmot, however, isn't gathered, either. I lived in Pittsburgh all my life, but I just started attending the University of Oregon, and even in these day long Oregon showers--nothing quite torrential, simply constant rain. The EMS is quickly becoming my favorite jacket. It's warm in all but the coldest and dry in all but the wettest of weather. And, as I think I saw mentioned, they're on sale for 44.98. Both, however, are very similar and very nice jackets. The only differences I really noticed are that the EMS has velcro-closure, mesh-lined pockets and very substantial side/pit zips. The Marmot, on the other hand, has mesh vents at the armpits and a wind flap for the front zipper, something I would have appreciated above timberline today. All in all, both great jackets, hard to go wrong with either.
Hope this helps.

etc,
Matt

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook