Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lazlo

Feb 5, 2010, 5:39 AM
Post #26 of 40 (2703 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] AT Questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

altelis wrote:

As far as length, at a waist of 88 without really much of a shovel or tail to speak of to keep you really floating, I wouldn't go too short.

I'm 6'1''

Would a 185 be appropriate for BC?

dingus

Feb 5, 2010, 12:21 PM
Post #27 of 40 (2697 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lazlo] AT Questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Its more a function of weight than height bro. You already bought em didn't you?

If not calculate how much you weigh when decked out with ski kit and pack, talk to the ski tech where you buy, work it out.

I tend to go long but that's because I guy closeouts and 2nds and what have you and the sweet sizes go first.

I'm 6'0" and ski 195s and feel they are too long by 10 cm so I'm guessing you're in the money, generally speaking.

Some say go shorter still... I just don't know dude.

DMT

altelis

Feb 5, 2010, 1:09 PM
Post #28 of 40 (2693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:
altelis wrote:

As far as length, at a waist of 88 without really much of a shovel or tail to speak of to keep you really floating, I wouldn't go too short.

I'm 6'1''

Would a 185 be appropriate for BC?

It depends. Off the top of my head I can't remember how BD measures skis. Surprisingly enough, 185 doesn't mean 185. Some companies measure "skiable edge", not measuring the parts of the tips and tails that aren't involved in turning. I'm pretty sure K2 does this. This makes a big deal with twin tips. Depending on how "severe" the back tip comes off the deck. If you look at a K2 X length twin tip compared to some other company's X length twin tip you'll find that the K2's are HUGE. I know a couple of other company's have their own dimension measuring quirks. Figure out BD's...

For the record I ski on the Fisher Tstix (a tele ski). I'm 5'11" and 155lbs soaking wet. I ski on 176's and they are about perfect. My skis are also 98 in the waist....Every once in a while I feel boxed-in in tight gullies, but wouldn't give up the float for anything.

Lazlo

Feb 5, 2010, 3:15 PM
Post #29 of 40 (2685 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] AT Questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
Its more a function of weight than height bro. You already bought em didn't you?

If not calculate how much you weigh when decked out with ski kit and pack, talk to the ski tech where you buy, work it out.

I tend to go long but that's because I guy closeouts and 2nds and what have you and the sweet sizes go first.

I'm 6'0" and ski 195s and feel they are too long by 10 cm so I'm guessing you're in the money, generally speaking.

DMT

No, haven't bought them. Probably a good thing that I have to wait for taxes.

Thanks for the responses. Obviously it's a lot of money and I don't want to make the wrong choices.

Also, I'm 6'1'' and about 175 add on a 55 pound pack.

atg200

Feb 5, 2010, 3:20 PM
Post #30 of 40 (2682 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

i'm 6'1" and weigh around 190. i ski mostly in 183 havocs from 4-5 years ago, which were quite a bit stiffer than current havocs and had a slightly different sizing model. they are perfect for me.

you really should find somewhere you can rent and try out the 185 and a size down. based on how you describe your skiing ability, it might be too much ski for you right now, especially if you are leaner than i am. life you can be a trial if you are a beginner/intermediate skier in tight trees on skis that are too long for you to control.

atg200

Feb 5, 2010, 3:21 PM
Post #31 of 40 (2680 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

55 pound pack skiing? dear god. pull a sled if you have that much weight.

also, if you are worried about the weight of the ski, switch the fritschi bindings for dynafits.

(This post was edited by atg200 on Feb 5, 2010, 3:23 PM)

dingus

Feb 5, 2010, 3:31 PM
Post #32 of 40 (2677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:
dingus wrote:

DMT

Thanks for the responses. Obviously it's a lot of money and I don't want to make the wrong choices.

Yo Laz what are you doing this weekend??? Your profile says you're from Chico... are you there now?

Bear Valley has their annual Tele Fest going on. They will have demo gear - AT and Tele. Its a haul for you, probably a 5 hour drive... but you'd get to test out various boards and sizes, both tele and AT if you wish.

Sorry I didn't think of this sooner. I've been to a lot of these simply because that's my go to resort and I've just happened to be there many times when it was going on.

Clinics, all sorts of shit i've never participated in, but I did the demos last year and that was rewarding.

http://www.bearvalley.com/...ngels-camp-nov-20th/

Don't know if they do similar up at Shasta.

Consider the Bear Valley thing... it might be worth the gas and dough, in one day you could try several pairs of demo skis... Sat or Sun (I'll be there tomorrow ripping the pow)
DMT

Lazlo

Feb 5, 2010, 3:42 PM
Post #33 of 40 (2672 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] AT Questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
Lazlo wrote:
dingus wrote:

DMT

Yo Laz what are you doing this weekend??? Your profile says you're from Chico... are you there now?

Bear Valley has their annual Tele Fest going on. They will have demo gear - AT and Tele. Its a haul for you, probably a 5 hour drive... but you'd get to test out various boards and sizes, both tele and AT if you wish.

Sorry I didn't think of this sooner. I've been to a lot of these simply because that's my go to resort and I've just happened to be there many times when it was going on.

Clinics, all sorts of shit i've never participated in, but I did the demos last year and that was rewarding.

http://www.bearvalley.com/...ngels-camp-nov-20th/

Don't know if they do similar up at Shasta.

Consider the Bear Valley thing... it might be worth the gas and dough, in one day you could try several pairs of demo skis... Sat or Sun (I'll be there tomorrow ripping the pow)
DMT

I appreciate the tip! I wish I could go down there. Just a bad weekend and a bit too far.

altelis

Feb 5, 2010, 10:02 PM
Post #34 of 40 (2661 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atg200] AT Questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

atg200 wrote:
i'm 6'1" and weigh around 190. i ski mostly in 183 havocs from 4-5 years ago, which were quite a bit stiffer than current havocs and had a slightly different sizing model. they are perfect for me.

you really should find somewhere you can rent and try out the 185 and a size down. based on how you describe your skiing ability, it might be too much ski for you right now, especially if you are leaner than i am. life you can be a trial if you are a beginner/intermediate skier in tight trees on skis that are too long for you to control.

This bears repeating.

And so does the fact that a 55# pack is HUGE!

Lazlo

Feb 6, 2010, 3:45 AM
Post #35 of 40 (2651 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] AT Questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
atg200 wrote:

This bears repeating.

And so does the fact that a 55# pack is HUGE!

So I'm thinking on going with a 175.

As for the pack weight... That's with a group med kit, repair kit, 4 season tent, extra fuel, stock pot, picket, short rope, tech gear...

atg200

Feb 6, 2010, 7:06 AM
Post #36 of 40 (2631 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

are you carrying everything for your entire group? i do 3 week trips to the andes with lighter packs than that. pull a sled if you can't figure out how to cut weight.

Lazlo

Feb 6, 2010, 7:12 AM
Post #37 of 40 (2629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

atg200 wrote:
are you carrying everything for your entire group? i do 3 week trips to the andes with lighter packs than that. pull a sled if you can't figure out how to cut weight.

...we have a required pack list at the guide company I work for. Just is what it is. My pack is much lighter on my own trips.

edit; to answer your question, we do kind of have to carry everything for the group. We also prepare fresh meals on the mountain, so that means we carry things like vegetables and canned spaghetti sauce. I typically carry the least of all the guides, just because my pack is fairly small.

(This post was edited by Lazlo on Feb 6, 2010, 7:14 AM)

atg200

Feb 6, 2010, 7:20 AM
Post #38 of 40 (2624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

let me get this this straight. you are a guide on ski trips, but you are asking super basic ski questions, you can rip on blue groomers but flail in the bc, and you think you don't need crampons on snow(from another thread)? what outfit do you work for? just so i make sure to avoid steering anyone that way.

and if you are hauling jars of pasta sauce and shit like that - pull a sled. no one in their right mind skis with a 55 pound pack. if you are burly enough to to do it you are burly enough not to need anyone's advice about how to do it.

(This post was edited by atg200 on Feb 6, 2010, 7:22 AM)

Lazlo

Feb 6, 2010, 8:22 AM
Post #39 of 40 (2617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

atg200 wrote:
let me get this this straight. you are a guide on ski trips, but you are asking super basic ski questions, you can rip on blue groomers but flail in the bc, and you think you don't need crampons on snow(from another thread)? what outfit do you work for? just so i make sure to avoid steering anyone that way.

and if you are hauling jars of pasta sauce and shit like that - pull a sled. no one in their right mind skis with a 55 pound pack. if you are burly enough to to do it you are burly enough not to need anyone's advice about how to do it.

Sorry for the missunderstanding. I don't guide on ski trips. For obvious reasons..... I can't ski. Wink I guide on all other trips.

Hence, if I learn to ski, I can make more money. ...and just plain have more fun in the mountains.

On winter trips, we do obviously use sleds. Packs are lighter. In the spring and summer however, we hump it all in. Packs are heavy...clients are happy, well fed, and tip very well.

At the end of the trip when I know my clients had a good time, had confidence in me, and felt safe...the last thing I'm thinking about is how heavy my pack was.

Yes, we carry lots of crap. We often have to repair clients rented crampons, gaiters and helmets. We bandage their blisters. We carry extra batteries. ...we're not dealing with seasoned mountaineers. our clients are more often than not silicone valley yuppies and business owners that thought it sounded fun to go climb a mountain. And because of that, we have to carry the slack and anticipate bad gear and lack of planning on their part. ...and we short rope their asses which means harnesses, and ropes.

It all adds up in a hurry.

Partner brent_e

Mar 5, 2010, 11:24 PM
Post #40 of 40 (2531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:
What are all the possible problems I could expect with mounting and using AT bindings on an older style ski compared to the newer parabolic 'powder ski'?

The skis I have are "Kastle Air sx 801", vintage late 80s to 90s.

Will skins fit alright?

I rented a pair of BD Voodoos a few weeks ago. I'm told that they're an awesome ski...but it was my first time on parabolic skis...and first time back country skiing. I was falling a lot. Are these the direction I should head if I want a solid future in back country skiing? I want to save money and stay with what I'm comfortable with...but I also don't want to stay in the stone age.

I bought a pair of BD Havoc's for 125 bucks with no binding. there are other deals like that around, you just have to keep your eyes open.

mec.ca is a good place to start. take a look at their gearswap.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook