RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

kachoong

Jan 15, 2010, 8:41 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2744 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Log and repeat ascents
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm proposing a suggestion to add the ability to log multiple ascents of the same climb, but in a way that avoids having to fill out the entire "Ascent Review" sheet that currently is in place. Some kind of quick review would be nice, since the review fields needed for a repeat ascent would only be "date" and "style" with possibly new "comments".

For those that use the logbook, does anybody log their repeat ascents currently by completing further ascent reviews? If not, our climbing logs therefore reflect only unique climbs climbed and not an actual total.

Many, if not all, of us will climb something multiple times, even if subsequent ascents are a redpoint, second, solo, toprope or hangdog. As it exists currently we need to complete an entire new review, instead of being able to just check off the date and style, with the choice to add new comments about the repeat ascent.

Would this be a helpful addition? Possibly... it would allow for the tally of actual total climbs, not unique number climbed... and possibly even total height climbed for any given time period if such a feature could be integrated (most climbs have heights entered).

Something to ponder and couldn't be too hard to implement.

ddt

Jan 19, 2010, 8:51 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2711 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Climbing Log and repeat ascents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, just so I am clear on your suggestion... you're asking that the following (currently) required fields are not required anymore if it's a repeat ascent: Ascent Header, Ascent Notes, Overall Rating.

The rest of the fields are already all optional.

kachoong

Jan 19, 2010, 2:40 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2702 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ddt] Climbing Log and repeat ascents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ddt wrote:
OK, just so I am clear on your suggestion... you're asking that the following (currently) required fields are not required anymore if it's a repeat ascent: Ascent Header, Ascent Notes, Overall Rating.

The rest of the fields are already all optional.

Correct... it would be rare that someone would change their opinion of a climbs quality and it would then be up to them if they would want to add notes about the climb too. I know it's not much of a change but it might make it a little faster.

If notes were entered, then you could perhaps add it as a seperate record in the ascent notes for that climb, otherwise the repeat ascent(s) could be added in with that users first ascent notes.
e.g.

Partner cracklover

Feb 5, 2010, 10:35 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2661 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Climbing Log and repeat ascents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
For those that use the logbook, does anybody log their repeat ascents currently by completing further ascent reviews? If not, our climbing logs therefore reflect only unique climbs climbed and not an actual total.

I'm sure every user uses the logbook slightly differently, but I only log a climb a second time if I do it in a better style. For example, if I fall on a climb the first time I try it, I'll log the hangdog ascent. If I then try it 15 more times in as many days, the only one of those I'll enter it is the 15th when I redpointed it.

GO

USnavy

Feb 11, 2010, 1:56 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2632 views)
Shortcut

Re: [] Climbing Log and repeat ascents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Logging multiple assents of a single climb is silly and erroneous IMO. If I first hangdog a route then a year later redpoint it, I go back and edit the assent to a redpoint.

Partner cracklover

Feb 11, 2010, 4:33 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2625 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Climbing Log and repeat ascents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
Logging multiple assents of a single climb is silly and erroneous IMO. If I first hangdog a route then a year later redpoint it, I go back and edit the assent to a redpoint.

No, what's silly and erroneous is you trying to tell other people how *they* should log their own ascents. The point of the log is to log one's ascents, period. As long as you don't lie, you should log them however makes most sense to you.

GO

skierbrian

Apr 21, 2010, 1:46 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2381 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing Log and repeat ascents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with Kachoong's suggestion and with Cracklover's comments. I want the ability to record one ascent for a hangdog, and a later ascent for a redpoint. Yes comments are optional.

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook