RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

core

Feb 14, 2010, 4:40 AM
Post #1 of 2 (1668 views)
Shortcut

Access - Superstitions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I posted this on another site but am hoping to increase the size of my net.

I live out of the state, but travel to AZ and climb a couple times a year.

My folks just told me that Lost Dutchman State Park is closing. Being so far away (east coast), I may not be as educated as some of you local folks...can you tell me more about what is going on?

How will the state park closure effect access to that side of the Supes (Suction Gully, etc)?

I understand that the state rejected a proposal from the residents of AJ to volunteer at the park, just to keep it open. Is this true?

Any info is appreciated.

Cory

jbone

Feb 14, 2010, 8:01 AM
Post #2 of 2 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Re: [core] Access - Superstitions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://www.pr.state.az.us/...010/PR_01-15-10.html

Regardless of the Park's operating status the area itself is designated as a Wilderness Area and will remain open to all non-motorized means of access. You may not be able to park there at the park office and the area will require more attention by its users in terms of management but other than less regulation this will affect climbing access very little beyond the parking lot.

Manny may have more info on this but from my experience most of us parked just a bit further down the road where you could bypass the paystation.

Understanding that every user has the responsibility of stewardship to that area is a fundamental component to maintaining these area's when our governments use them and the income they generate to pay for their misspending in other area's.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook