Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

nmak

Apr 11, 2010, 9:14 PM
Post #1 of 53 (6506 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Etiquette-giving help
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, I've been climbing for a couple of months, but I'm trying to figure out when it's right to offer help or suggestions when climbing. I was climbing a difficult bouldering route the other day, and was pretty annoyed when someone told me how to do it when I couldn't get it. I like being able to figure out problems on my own, and I only really offer help to others if they ask for it, or if they're completely lost. Is there a correct way to give advice? Or is it common to just throw around advice, and I'm just being uptight about it.

Thanks!

irregularpanda

Apr 11, 2010, 9:34 PM
Post #2 of 53 (6484 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nmak] Climbing Etiquette-giving help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nmak wrote:
Hi, I've been climbing for a couple of months, but I'm trying to figure out when it's right to offer help or suggestions when climbing. I was climbing a difficult bouldering route the other day, and was pretty annoyed when someone told me how to do it when I couldn't get it. I like being able to figure out problems on my own, and I only really offer help to others if they ask for it, or if they're completely lost. Is there a correct way to give advice? Or is it common to just throw around advice, and I'm just being uptight about it.

Thanks!

Unsolicited beta man is an asshole. Let him know, either by telling him to shut up politely, or just tell him to shut up.

PS, was it the red route? That one's sick bro.

AntinJ

Apr 11, 2010, 9:41 PM
Post #3 of 53 (6474 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Great question:

I know a lot of people enjoy the problem solving element of climbing. That being said; In my limited climbing experience I have learned that it's best not to offer advice ("Spray/Beta") to those currently working on a boulder problem or route.

If you are with brand new climbers or beginners who are trying out the sport or just want to “get to the top” by whatever means necessary, I would first ask them if they would like your suggestion before shouting out a climbing sequence or pointing out that obvious and overlooked hand/foot hold.

The only time I can think of that I was glad to get some beta thrown at me mid-route is when I am climbing at my limit on poor terrain (bad protection/alpine/ledge below), and the crucial info might just save me from a bad fall. That’s not spewing - that’s a sign of a great climbing partner.

For the most part it can be frustrating for someone below to watch a climber flail and struggle, however it would be selfish to just start yelling up at them and assume they don’t want to work out the moves for themselves.

Hope this helps!

J

(This post was edited by AntinJ on Apr 11, 2010, 9:43 PM)

kiwiprincess

Apr 11, 2010, 10:18 PM
Post #4 of 53 (6450 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AntinJ] Climbing Etiquette-giving help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You always come across people who tell you things Even when they know you are trying to Onsight!
I have found out a polite but firm "Please be quiet!" or "i'd like to figure it out myself thanks" does the trick! No ned to be an ass too.

mhix13

Apr 11, 2010, 11:50 PM
Post #5 of 53 (6393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you're attempting to give advice simply ask if the person would like some beta. better to wait until you watch them try the problem several times... don't run up to them after they fall off once. Don't be offended if they say thanks but no thanks.

If you're climbing and someone is spraying in your direction just tell them you like to figure it out on your own or that they are distracting you. If they don't listen after being polite it's open-season to be a dick/asshole to them.

In my experience most people listen if you let them know you don't want their help.

currupt4130

Apr 12, 2010, 1:32 AM
Post #6 of 53 (6333 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mhix13] Climbing Etiquette-giving help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've found that using one of these phrases works well for me:

"I'd appreciate if you didn't talk while I'm climbing."

"Don't fucking talk to me."

"Shut the fuck up."

clc

Apr 12, 2010, 5:48 AM
Post #7 of 53 (6254 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

nmak wrote:
I like being able to figure out problems on my own, and I only really offer help to others if they ask for it, or if they're completely lost.

Thanks!

Well Nmak maybe you looked completely lost to the guy that offered advice?.
You've been climbing for a couple months so your beta is probably no good and don't get annoyed about some little V4 boulder problem. And if you were at a gym, I've just waste my time.

patto

Apr 12, 2010, 6:20 AM
Post #8 of 53 (6242 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clc] Climbing Etiquette-giving help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is it just me or are boulderers the biggest whingers? Who f'ing cares!

Personally I like somebody offering a suggesting if I'm really struggling to find the moves. If you don't then tell them. Don't stew on it and complain to a forum.

blueeyedclimber

Apr 12, 2010, 1:04 PM
Post #9 of 53 (6205 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] Climbing Etiquette-giving help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
Is it just me or are boulderers the biggest whingers? Who f'ing cares!

Personally I like somebody offering a suggesting if I'm really struggling to find the moves. If you don't then tell them. Don't stew on it and complain to a forum.

Agreed! Some people are just trying to be helpful. If they give you unsolicited beta and you don't want it, then tell them. If they get offended at that, then they ARE an ass and you can let em have it.

Josh

dingus

Apr 12, 2010, 1:21 PM
Post #10 of 53 (6195 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Climbing Etiquette-giving help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I STILL can't do the move!

DMT

blueeyedclimber

Apr 12, 2010, 1:24 PM
Post #11 of 53 (6191 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Climbing Etiquette-giving help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:

DMT

That's because you ignored my unsolicited beta, old man! Tongue

dingus

Apr 12, 2010, 1:27 PM
Post #12 of 53 (6186 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Climbing Etiquette-giving help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
dingus wrote:

DMT

That's because you ignored my unsolicited beta, old man! Tongue

No buddy, I didn't... that was the PINT!

DMT

fancypants27

Apr 12, 2010, 3:13 PM
Post #13 of 53 (6131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am new to climbing, and personally I really like when someone offers a suggestion when I I'm stuck. It gives me the opportunity to talk with more experienced climbers (get some tips) and ensures that I climb the route correctly. I don't boulder, but I would imagine I'd feel the same way if someone offered some advice.

But thats just me...

rubber_man

Apr 12, 2010, 3:35 PM
Post #14 of 53 (6106 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fancypants27] Climbing Etiquette-giving help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fancypants27 wrote:
I am new to climbing, and personally I really like when someone offers a suggestion when I I'm stuck. It gives me the opportunity to talk with more experienced climbers (get some tips) and ensures that I climb the route correctly. I don't boulder, but I would imagine I'd feel the same way if someone offered some advice.

But thats just me...

I'm not exactly convinced there's a single correct way to climb the route. There are obvious things that you should do, i.e. stick your finger in a bolt, but every person climbs the same route a little differently.

dingus

Apr 12, 2010, 3:39 PM
Post #15 of 53 (6103 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rubber_man] Climbing Etiquette-giving help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rubber_man wrote:
There are obvious things that you should do, i.e. stick your finger in a bolt, but every person climbs the same route a little differently.

So THAT'S how they get the rope up there!

DMT

fancypants27

Apr 12, 2010, 4:37 PM
Post #16 of 53 (6049 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rubber_man] Climbing Etiquette-giving help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rubber_man wrote:

I'm not exactly convinced there's a single correct way to climb the route. There are obvious things that you should do, i.e. stick your finger in a bolt, but every person climbs the same route a little differently.

Definitely agree with you. What I meant was more along the lines of something that happend to me the other night... where someone suggested heel hooking a hold. Being a beginner climber, I have never had to use this technique, nor would I have thought to use it. I would have just kept trying to muscle my way over.

hafilax

Apr 12, 2010, 5:29 PM
Post #17 of 53 (5999 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fancypants27] Climbing Etiquette-giving help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fancypants27 wrote:
rubber_man wrote:

Definitely agree with you. What I meant was more along the lines of something that happend to me the other night... where someone suggested heel hooking a hold. Being a beginner climber, I have never had to use this technique, nor would I have thought to use it. I would have just kept trying to muscle my way over.
There's nothing wrong with asking for help or advice. It's getting unwanted advice that's the issue.

Problem solving and on-sights are my favourite aspects of climbing. I'm at the point where I (think I) know most of the basic movements but knowing where to apply what technique is a skill unto itself. I've seen people that can't get up a route without someone on the ground choreographing each move.

Partner cracklover

Apr 12, 2010, 6:08 PM
Post #18 of 53 (5973 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Climbing Etiquette-giving help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
fancypants27 wrote:
rubber_man wrote:

There's nothing wrong with asking for help or advice. It's getting unwanted advice that's the issue.

Problem solving and on-sights are my favourite aspects of climbing. I'm at the point where I (think I) know most of the basic movements but knowing where to apply what technique is a skill unto itself.

Even when I was a beginning climber, I liked to figure it out for myself. Getting to the point where I had tried every option I could think of, and *only then* asking for help, meant my problem-solving skills got really good, and at the same time, I kept learned new techniques.

GO

dingus

Apr 12, 2010, 6:19 PM
Post #19 of 53 (5955 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Climbing Etiquette-giving help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No one would talk to me when I was younger, anyway.

DMT

scotty1974

Apr 12, 2010, 6:24 PM
Post #20 of 53 (5951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

So I guess the real questions is when did you cross the line from a new climber that ate up all the help that other climbers offered, to a cool "I know what I'm doing" climber that doesn't need advice anymore.

Just tell them, "hey, I'm at 2 months now" and they'll figure you know what your doing. That is until you switch to roped climbing and you need other people again..unless you intend to figure that out on your own too.

(This post was edited by scotty1974 on Apr 12, 2010, 6:25 PM)

swoopee

Apr 12, 2010, 6:37 PM
Post #21 of 53 (5936 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't mind being told to STFU or telling others to do the same.

Adk

Apr 12, 2010, 8:33 PM
Post #22 of 53 (5878 views)
Shortcut

Re: [swoopee] Climbing Etiquette-giving help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just be careful that you aren't rude "telling him..."
He might just tell you anyway cuz you were an ass! and then it's too late. You already have the beta.

Just be polite and say no thanks man, I want to struggle and work it out!Cool

patmay81

Apr 12, 2010, 11:18 PM
Post #23 of 53 (5832 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adk] Climbing Etiquette-giving help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Adk wrote:
I want to struggle and work it out!Cool
if you ever catch me struggling feel free to throw out the beta. I climb 5.6 because struggling hurts and hurting sucks!Tongue

DuckBeard

Apr 13, 2010, 1:05 AM
Post #24 of 53 (5801 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patmay81] Climbing Etiquette-giving help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's probably just because I'm pretty new to climbing, but I don't mind when people give me advice on what to do. Then again, it's probably because they see me looking around like I'm lost on a v3, and they assume that I haven't been at it for very long and could use some advice.

Though I could definitely see how more experienced climbers could get pretty PO'd about people spurting off with unwanted beta. I mean, finding the correct holds to use and the right strategy can be half the fun.

(This post was edited by DuckBeard on Apr 13, 2010, 1:12 AM)

JasonsDrivingForce

Apr 16, 2010, 1:58 PM
Post #25 of 53 (5554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that you should always wait for the other climber to ask before giving out verbal beta but what about actually doing the route and giving them visual beta?

I have had several situations where someone new to a problem will have several attempts at it and get stuck. These were all problems that I understood how to do the moves on. Is it bad Etiquette to climb the route and give the other climber visual beta before they figure it out for themselves or ask for help?

In each of those instances I just waited for the climber to get the move on their own or ask for Beta before I showed them. However, I wondered if that was really necessary?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook