Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

iowaclimber80

Apr 22, 2010, 4:58 AM
Post #51 of 88 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Worst instruction heard at the crag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
Adk wrote:
jt512 wrote:
"At the gym they teach this convoluted belay method where you always hold on to the brake side of the rope,"

Jay

Convoluted huh? Holy crap!!!

Yeah - how the f*** could you ever do that? I mean - you pull the rope in, then how would you move your hands if you had to hold on all the time?

well this is how i was taught at my gym you take the hand pulling the rope in and move it under the hand on the brake rope then slide your brake rope hand up and repeat as necessary it works best if you take shorter pulls but is still super slow but a good way to teach beginners how important keeping control of the brake rope is. just what i learned i use this style sometimes.

TheRucat

Apr 22, 2010, 5:02 AM
Post #52 of 88 (2025 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iowaclimber80] Worst instruction heard at the crag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

iowaclimber80 wrote:
bill413 wrote:
Adk wrote:
jt512 wrote:
"At the gym they teach this convoluted belay method where you always hold on to the brake side of the rope,"

Jay

Yeah - how the f*** could you ever do that? I mean - you pull the rope in, then how would you move your hands if you had to hold on all the time?

well this is how i was taught at my gym you take the hand pulling the rope in and move it under the hand on the brake rope then slide your brake rope hand up and repeat as necessary it works best if you take shorter pulls but is still super slow but a good way to teach beginners how important keeping control of the brake rope is. just what i learned i use this style sometimes.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Colinhoglund

Apr 22, 2010, 6:09 AM
Post #53 of 88 (2005 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TheRucat] Worst instruction heard at the crag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Your placing too much gear . . . I appreciated that one.

rtwilli4

Apr 22, 2010, 6:40 AM
Post #54 of 88 (1992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

iowaclimber80 wrote:
I was learning to lead and I was practicing clipping while on an auto belay which had biners to clip and I went to clip the biners through my tie ins and the gym manager who taught the class told me this, metal through the belay loop and cloth through the tie ins. So I would basically be tieing in on my belay loop.

Unless I've misunderstood, the manager was correct. Metal (biners, in any application) should always go through the belay loop.

While it is fine to put a sling directly on your belay loop, you are better off girth-hitching it to your tie ins. They have an extra layer of nylon covering the load bearing webbing, preventing abrasion from nylon ropes and slings. Your belay loop, while redundant, doesn't have a protective covering and will wear out from repeated rubbing with a nylon sling.

USnavy

Apr 22, 2010, 7:29 AM
Post #55 of 88 (1977 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Worst instruction heard at the crag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
iowaclimber80 wrote:
I was learning to lead and I was practicing clipping while on an auto belay which had biners to clip and I went to clip the biners through my tie ins and the gym manager who taught the class told me this, metal through the belay loop and cloth through the tie ins. So I would basically be tieing in on my belay loop.

While it is fine to put a sling directly on your belay loop, you are better off girth-hitching it to your tie ins.
Your most certainly not. I use to run my slings through my tie in points secured with a girth hitch. In only nine months the slings completely wore through the tie in reinforcement webbing and started cutting into the structural webbing for the leg loops. I retired the harness and changed out to girth hitching the slings to my belay loops with the next harness. One year into the change and my belay loops still look good. One of my partners has had slings girth hitched to the belay loop for almost ten years now (yea his harness is that old) and it’s still in reasonable condition.

The mechanics behind the idea is that when your slings are girth hitched to the belay loop, the sling does not concentrate wear in the same spot as the sling will rotate around your belay loop. When girth hitched through the tie in points, every time you weight the sling and it shifts, it causes wear in the exact same spot and such wear is magnified if using thin Dyneema slings over wide nylon ones.

Now it is possible to attach the sling to your tie in points by securing it back to itself instead of girth hitching it. However I would still side with the belay loop tie in idea as I still think it would cause more wear by running it through the tie in points.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Apr 22, 2010, 7:34 AM)

jamincan

Apr 22, 2010, 11:07 AM
Post #56 of 88 (1946 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Worst instruction heard at the crag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I usually just girth-hitch my slings to my belay loop because it's easier, but the hitch seems to basically be fixed in one spot. Also, the only failure of a belay loop that I have ever heard of was Todd Skinner's harness, and wasn't his setup with a girth-hitch on the belay loop?

blueeyedclimber

Apr 22, 2010, 12:51 PM
Post #57 of 88 (1913 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Worst instruction heard at the crag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
dingus wrote:
Wait till yer buddy is splayed out on a friction slab and then tell him to 'Layback it!"

I'm going to try that one on my wife. She's got a great sense of humor. I bet she'll really appreciate it.

GShocked

And if not, you have that extra room Cool

blueeyedclimber

Apr 22, 2010, 1:03 PM
Post #58 of 88 (1903 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Worst instruction heard at the crag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I overheard someone telling his group of friends, that if you take a leader fall, then you need to retire the rope. So I stepped right in and said, "Yes, he's right, and it just so happens I can take them off your hands and retire them for you at no cost." Angelic

Another time, at Parking Lot Wall at Rumney (hmmm, coincidence?), A new leader had just done her first lead. She gets to the anchors and her friend proceeds to explain to her how to clean the anchors from 60 feet below. After a couple terrified "WHAT?!!'s", i offered to go up and show her. They accepted my offer.

I am also always amazed at how someone will just give someone a grigri and not worry too much about giving them instruction. Now, even if they manage to feed rope out and not short rope you with every move, how are you expecting to get down?

Josh

lena_chita

Apr 22, 2010, 1:43 PM
Post #59 of 88 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Worst instruction heard at the crag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
Another time, at Parking Lot Wall at Rumney (hmmm, coincidence?), A new leader had just done her first lead. She gets to the anchors and her friend proceeds to explain to her how to clean the anchors from 60 feet below. After a couple terrified "WHAT?!!'s", i offered to go up and show her. They accepted my offer.

It amazes me how often this happens: A guy yelling from the bottom:"O.K. now, put two draws opposite and opposed." Terrified girl at the top: Um, what? Opposite what? I don't get it! How do I make them opposite? Do I twist it? What?

bill413

Apr 22, 2010, 1:45 PM
Post #60 of 88 (1884 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TheRucat] Worst instruction heard at the crag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TheRucat wrote:
iowaclimber80 wrote:
bill413 wrote:
Adk wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

Thanks for clearing that up.

Sounds complicated.

dingus

Apr 22, 2010, 1:46 PM
Post #61 of 88 (1880 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Worst instruction heard at the crag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"Just sort of scurry up it!" Advice I hollered up to Smitty, a military buddy of mine who wanted to check out climbing.

"Scurry up it!!!1111 What the fuck does that mean???"

I bet he gave me shit for 2 years after that! (it was 30 years ago!!!11111 don't try THAT at home)

I let him ponder life's great imponderables and evenetually, you know what?

He just sorta scurried up it.

Stone Door, Tennessee.

DMT

qtm

Apr 22, 2010, 2:01 PM
Post #62 of 88 (1868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

iowaclimber80 wrote:
bill413 wrote:
Adk wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

That's what I teach beginners. It's not all that slow once you get the hang of it, but how fast is the climber moving anyway?

It is faster to swap hands though. Your right hand is your brake hand, and you just pulled slack through and moved your left hand just below the device. Now the left hand is the brake hand. Pull slack through the device with the left, move the right back under the device, now the right becomes the brake. Sorta like swimming.

Note that I've failed one belay test and threatened with failure in another because the gym employee couldn't get it through his/her head that the left hand could ever be the brake hand and I'd taken my right "brake" hand off the rope.

cfnubbler

Apr 22, 2010, 2:13 PM
Post #63 of 88 (1854 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qtm] Worst instruction heard at the crag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

qtm wrote:
iowaclimber80 wrote:
bill413 wrote:
Adk wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

That's what I teach beginners. It's not all that slow once you get the hang of it, but how fast is the climber moving anyway?

It is faster to swap hands though. Your right hand is your brake hand, and you just pulled slack through and moved your left hand just below the device. Now the left hand is the brake hand. Pull slack through the device with the left, move the right back under the device, now the right becomes the brake. Sorta like swimming.

Note that I've failed one belay test and threatened with failure in another because the gym employee couldn't get it through his/her head that the left hand could ever be the brake hand and I'd taken my right "brake" hand off the rope.

You failed the belay test because you apparently can't get it through your head that this is abyssmal belay technique. I wouldn't let you belay me like that either.

If one can't keep up with a climber using proper belay technique (the way you teach "beginners" for example), then I submit one should not be belaying without more practice in the first place.

(This post was edited by cfnubbler on Apr 22, 2010, 2:15 PM)

Partner j_ung

Apr 22, 2010, 2:31 PM
Post #64 of 88 (1819 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

It amazes me how often this happens: A guy yelling from the bottom:"O.K. now, put two draws opposite and opposed." Terrified girl at the top: Um, what? Opposite what? I don't get it! How do I make them opposite? Do I twist it? What?

This is consistently the worst thing I see too. I especially love it when four or five people are all yelling instructions at once.

shockabuku

Apr 22, 2010, 2:35 PM
Post #65 of 88 (1815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

Yeah, girls are so hard to teach.

qtm

Apr 22, 2010, 2:35 PM
Post #66 of 88 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cfnubbler] Worst instruction heard at the crag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cfnubbler wrote:
qtm wrote:
iowaclimber80 wrote:
bill413 wrote:
Adk wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

You failed the belay test because you apparently can't get it through your head that this is abyssmal belay technique. I wouldn't let you belay me like that either.

Abysmal? LoL, ok I won't belay you.

But no, I argued with the employee (the first time) and they *insisted* that the right hand had to be the belay hand. I asked what if I were left handed, and was told I still had to belay with the right. I asked what if I were in a belay stance in a corner and had to belay with my left, and they still insisted I had to use the right.

In reply to:
If one can't keep up with a climber using proper belay technique (the way you teach "beginners" for example), then I submit one should not be belaying without more practice in the first place.

Sure, I said it's fast enough. I just gave another example that works just as well and is slightly faster. There's no reason that you can't switch hands, unless it's ingrained in your head that you have to brake with the right hand.

cfnubbler

Apr 22, 2010, 2:41 PM
Post #67 of 88 (1798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

qtm wrote:
cfnubbler wrote:
qtm wrote:
iowaclimber80 wrote:
bill413 wrote:
Adk wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

But no, I argued with the employee (the first time) and they *insisted* that the right hand had to be the belay hand. I asked what if I were left handed, and was told I still had to belay with the right. I asked what if I were in a belay stance in a corner and had to belay with my left, and they still insisted I had to use the right.

In reply to:

Sure, I said it's fast enough. I just gave another example that works just as well and is slightly faster. There's no reason that you can't switch hands, unless it's ingrained in your head that you have to brake with the right hand.

Of course you can belay with either hand, and the choice of which hand to use is a function of stance and anchor configuration, direction of travel on the next pitch, etc., but that wasn't what you were describing. If you make a habit of doing the hand over hand shuffle you described, then your belay technique is poor.

Obviously there are times when it is appropriate to temporarily and consciously switch hands when on belay duty. But the old hand over hand shuffle as a standard practice is a poor choice, to put it mildly.

currupt4130

Apr 22, 2010, 2:46 PM
Post #68 of 88 (1791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

qtm wrote:
cfnubbler wrote:
qtm wrote:
iowaclimber80 wrote:
bill413 wrote:
Adk wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

In reply to:

I'm not sure why you would teach beginners to be switching hands all the time. It's always been paramount when teaching beginners that their brake hand (left or right) never ever leaves the brake side of the rope. Period.

Partner j_ung

Apr 22, 2010, 2:57 PM
Post #69 of 88 (1776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

qtm wrote:
cfnubbler wrote:
qtm wrote:
iowaclimber80 wrote:
bill413 wrote:
Adk wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

In reply to:

Y'know, it's not necessary abysmal... but I think most of us who have seen it before have seen it done sloppily. I have certainly switched brake hands mid stream, but I have a good reason when I do it, and I don't make a habit of it.

Personally, when I used to give belay tests, I let whoever it was go for a round while I tried to identify a weak spot. Then, I targeted the weakness. If I couldn't exploit it, then as far as I was concerned, they passed. If they got sloppy, missed a beat or "dropped" me, I'd ask them to make adjustments or fail them. It's hard to argue with a gym employee when he's lying on the floor after you "decked" him. If I was testing you, I'd let you get a little confident, then "fall" right when you were switching hands and again when you were pulling slack with your less-dominant hand on the brake.

Rudmin

Apr 22, 2010, 3:03 PM
Post #70 of 88 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cfnubbler] Worst instruction heard at the crag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you need to reel in slack quickly, would you would want to be yarding in rope hand over hand, or reaching down between your legs and shuffling your hands up?

jt512

Apr 22, 2010, 3:05 PM
Post #71 of 88 (1761 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Worst instruction heard at the crag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
If I was testing you, I'd let you get a little confident, then "fall" right when you were switching hands and again when you were pulling slack with your less-dominant hand on the brake.

And anybody who knew what they were doing would catch you. This debate is silly.

Jay

qtm

Apr 22, 2010, 3:20 PM
Post #72 of 88 (1745 views)
Shortcut

Re: [currupt4130] Worst instruction heard at the crag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

currupt4130 wrote:
I'm not sure why you would teach beginners to be switching hands all the time. It's always been paramount when teaching beginners that their brake hand (left or right) never ever leaves the brake side of the rope. Period.

Yep. The brake hand *never* leaves the rope. The brake hand, by definition, is the hand holding the brake end of the rope, and the brake hand never lets go of the rope.

In the "move left hand under and slide right hand up rope" (which is the method I teach to beginners), which is the brake hand while you're moving your right hand up the rope? Is there any difference if you slide the hand up the rope, or take it off the rope and move it? No, because the left hand is the brake while the right is moving.

Since the left hand is already the brake, there's no reason not to just leave it there and pull slack through with it. Unless you've got it ingrained that the right must always be the brake.

Partner drector

Apr 22, 2010, 3:28 PM
Post #73 of 88 (1736 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Worst instruction heard at the crag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
What's the worst climbing advice you've heard someone give...

Describing a belay technique on the internet whilst having mediocre writing skills is the worse thing I have ever seen.

Second to that is others with mediocre writing skills trying to describe what is wrong with the belay technique.

In person, I've only seen people doing things wrong. I've never actually heard them give advice since I tend to move far enough from them to not hear any of it.

Dave

dingus

Apr 22, 2010, 3:42 PM
Post #74 of 88 (1723 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drector] Worst instruction heard at the crag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

drector wrote:
hafilax wrote:

Describing a belay technique on the internet whilst having mediocre writing skills is the worse thing I have ever seen.

Second to that is others with mediocre writing skills trying to describe what is wrong with the belay technique.

In person, I've only seen people doing things wrong. I've never actually heard them give advice since I tend to move far enough from them to not hear any of it.

Dave

Those with better writing and belaying skills tend to further obfuscate the issue with several paragraphs of nit picky BULLSHIT. This is the typical rc.com wankfest, in all its glory.

DMT

hafilax

Apr 22, 2010, 3:47 PM
Post #75 of 88 (1685 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drector] Worst instruction heard at the crag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

drector wrote:
hafilax wrote:

Dave
I just had a funny mental image of a group at a crag arguing about the safest way to do something. One of them goes 'Hold on, I'll look it up on RC.com' and pulls out his iPhone to look up a thread.Laugh

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook