Forums: Climbing Information: Climbing History & Trivia:
List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing History & Trivia

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

sungam

Apr 23, 2010, 5:20 PM
Post #1 of 54 (17703 views)
Shortcut

List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yeah, we need a little encyclopedia climbatica action here. I want a list of all the worthy hardmen (and women) that put the balls (of muff) to the wall and pulled off some neat stuff. I'll order the stuff into alphabeticalness and stuff.

So here it is,
Who's Who in climbing history:
A
Abalakov, Vitaly. 1906 - 1986 Russain Alpinist. Invented the Abalakov/V-thread.

B
Balmat, Jacques. 1762–1834. First ascent of Mont Blanc.

C
Riccardo Cassin. 1909-2009. Italian alpinist. Literally thousands of first ascents of technical routes all over the world. Started Cassin equipment. Decorated for military achievement for the Italian resistance partisans.

D
Dawes Johnny. 1964 -. British rock climber. First ascents of routes with both very high technical difficulty and striking risk (poor gear, long run outs). Most known for his routes on the English Gritstone.

E

F
Frost, Tom. ????-. First ascents on Yosemite big walls, and some in the greater ranges. Also, first ascent of Lotus Flower Tower in the Cirque of the Unclimbables. Owner of Frostworks. Co-invented the RURP with Yvon.

G
Gill, John. 1937 - . The father of bouldering. First to use chalk and dynamic movement. Among the first to view bouldering as it's own sport and not just training. Please note that the beanies and boom-boxes were not his idea.

H
Humar, Tomaž. 1969 - 2009. Slovenian alpinist and big-waller. Famous for his bold new routes and solos in the greater ranges.

I

J

K
Kain, Conrad. 1883-1934. Austrian super-guide. First ascents of serious peaks in Europe and Canada, including the stunning Bugaboo Spire.

L
Lowe, Alex. 1958-1999. American alpinist and ultra-badass.

I'll finish this later, I have an exam on monday that I should probably get back to studying for.

jcrew

Apr 23, 2010, 5:41 PM
Post #2 of 54 (17683 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
I want a list of all the worthy hardmen

J

j jcrew .....guy basicially invented the concept of going big on the intenet, then being on "rest day" at the crag.

karmiclimber

Apr 23, 2010, 6:39 PM
Post #3 of 54 (17654 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Before everyone replies, adding their name to the list...there is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_climbers

Personal favorites:
Yvon Choinard...founder of Choinard gear and patagonia.

Lynn Hill...feed the nose. I want to be just like her when I growed up.

johnwesely

Apr 23, 2010, 6:43 PM
Post #4 of 54 (17650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (10 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
E

Ebert, Jim. Has guided more clients in more mountain states, 7, and more alpine countries, 11, than any other guide with a perfect safety record.

Dip

Apr 23, 2010, 8:19 PM
Post #5 of 54 (17612 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

^^^ literally made me laugh out loud ^^^

karmiclimber

Apr 23, 2010, 10:02 PM
Post #6 of 54 (17580 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Laugh all you want but you should research about people before you laugh at them. He charges good money to take people who cannot walk hiking in the Grand Canyon. When was the last time you did something nice for someone else and made an awesome profit?!? Food for thoughts.

johnwesely

Apr 23, 2010, 10:05 PM
Post #7 of 54 (17574 views)
Shortcut

Re: [karmiclimber] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
Laugh all you want but you should research about people before you laugh at them. He charges good money to take people who cannot walk hiking in the Grand Canyon. When was the last time you did something nice for someone else and made an awesome profit?!? Food for thoughts.

Never.

I am sure Jim is a great guy, but that doesn't mean that he is not also a pretty funny dude.

karmiclimber

Apr 23, 2010, 10:08 PM
Post #8 of 54 (17571 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

God, I am just glad someone out there is saving all of the top ropers who are dying left and right. He said in his resume that no one ever got injured on a trip with him that could not be fixed with a bandaid. Broken foot? Put a bandaid on that sucker and quit yer bitchin'.

johnwesely

Apr 23, 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #9 of 54 (17567 views)
Shortcut

Re: [karmiclimber] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
God, I am just glad someone out there is saving all of the top ropers who are dying left and right. He said in his resume that no one ever got injured on a trip with him that could not be fixed with a bandaid. Broken foot? Put a bandaid on that sucker and quit yer bitchin'.

I am pretty sure that you misread the pdf. He never had an injury that could not be fixed with a bandaid or and ace bandage. He only says it a million times. How dare you slander JIM EBERT like that.

johnwesely

Apr 23, 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #10 of 54 (17565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Oh, and to be on topic.

R for Royal
R for Robbins

karmiclimber

Apr 23, 2010, 10:14 PM
Post #11 of 54 (17563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We should call him. No you should call him. Record him and put it on your blog. I double dog dare you.

hafilax

Apr 23, 2010, 10:17 PM
Post #12 of 54 (17557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Twight, Mark. In the straight bad-ass category.

johnwesely

Apr 23, 2010, 10:18 PM
Post #13 of 54 (17554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
We should call him. No you should call him. Record him and put it on your blog. I double dog dare you.

My blog couldn't handle it, but I am sure yours could.

irregularpanda

Apr 23, 2010, 10:54 PM
Post #14 of 54 (17534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:

B
Balmat, Jacques. 1762–1834. First ascent of Mont Blanc.

Beckey, Fred.

Still alive, although only your mom and china has any idea of his whereabouts recently. More first ascents than....your mom.

nkane

Apr 23, 2010, 11:15 PM
Post #15 of 54 (17514 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wiessner, Fritz
Kraus, Hans
Bachar, John
Long, John
Whymper, Edward
Shipton, Eric

---

Me.

staredge

Apr 24, 2010, 1:08 AM
Post #16 of 54 (17494 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

S

Schoening, Pete.
Most famous belay bitch in the mountaineering world.

staredge

Apr 24, 2010, 1:10 AM
Post #17 of 54 (17493 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dip] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dip wrote:
^^^ literally made me laugh out loud ^^^

+1

i_h8_choss

Apr 24, 2010, 9:02 AM
Post #18 of 54 (17447 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Matt Wilder

he's freed Yosemite big walls, climbs 5.14R on gear, and sends V14 boulders. All while working on his Phd in cognitive science. He is the author of 2 guidebooks (Yosemite Bouldering & Hueco Tanks Bouldering), and he used to be a rubik's cube performer on the street. That's all pretty bad-ass IMO.

notable ascents:
-FFA of Cheating Reality 5.14R N face Devils Thumb.
-FA of Viceroy 5.14 R (unrepeated)
-Sent The Path 5.14.
-FA's of 2 buttermilk highballs This Side of Paradise (V10) and The Ninth (V7). They are both 50 feet or higher.

interview: http://gtotheregory.blogspot.com/...ilder-interview.html

It'd be nice to see him on your list.

bennydh

Apr 24, 2010, 9:36 AM
Post #19 of 54 (17443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:

This thread also made me laugh. If someone gets the audio, I'll post it ... at least until I see a 'cease and desist' letter.

For the list:
E: Ed Webster - I've always thought he had a good perspective on alpine/mountaineering worth sharing.

P: Phil Bircheff on a good day, for FAs and sculptures

and

P: Phil Bircheff on a bad day, for being that crusty cranky old guy.

sungam

Apr 24, 2010, 9:38 AM
Post #20 of 54 (17443 views)
Shortcut

Re: [i_h8_choss] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, Matt Wilder I like!
Fred becky will OBVIOUSLY make the list. Indeed all of the ones on the wiki list will be on it. Let's get some names that aren't on it down!
Come on - who developed all your local crags? Who put up the testpieces you aspire to climb in your state?
Post 'em UP!

iknowfear

Apr 24, 2010, 11:48 AM
Post #21 of 54 (17432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
Before everyone replies, adding their name to the list...there is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_climbers

Personal favorites:
Yvon Choinard...founder of Choinard gear and patagonia.

Lynn Hill...feed the nose. I want to be just like her when I growed up.

that sound yummy

johnwesely

Apr 24, 2010, 2:37 PM
Post #22 of 54 (17408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Fred becky will OBVIOUSLY make the list. Indeed all of the ones on the wiki list will be on it. Let's get some names that aren't on it down!
Come on - who developed all your local crags? Who put up the testpieces you aspire to climb in your state?
Post 'em UP!

Stegg, Shannon, The Epitome of the southern hardman.

He put up almost every route at Tallulah, and half of the routes at Laurel Knob, including the only 5.12s.

colatownkid

Apr 24, 2010, 3:48 PM
Post #23 of 54 (17393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:
Post 'em UP!

He put up almost every route at Tallulah, and half of the routes at Laurel Knob, including the only 5.12s.

In that case we probably can't overlook Arno Ilgner or Rob Robinson either.

johnwesely

Apr 24, 2010, 3:50 PM
Post #24 of 54 (17392 views)
Shortcut

Re: [colatownkid] List of inspiring, visionary, influential, or just straight bad-ass climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

colatownkid wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:
Post 'em UP!

Agreed.

sungam

Apr 24, 2010, 4:10 PM
Post #25 of 54 (17386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
colatownkid wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
sungam wrote:
Post 'em UP!

Agreed.
Can you guys give me little snippets like I have on the list? Preferably with where they're from/operated and when.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Climbing History & Trivia

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook