RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

majid_sabet

Apr 20, 2010, 6:09 AM
Post #1 of 10 (6872 views)
Shortcut

Rock climber killed, companion injured
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

One rock climber was killed and another seriously injured in apparently accidental falls Saturday afternoon from rock bluffs in Caldwell County, Ky., according to Kentucky State Police.

Ray D. Witherspoon Jr., 20, of Nortonville, Ky., and Tyler Storie, 18, of Madisonville, Ky., were performing free-style rock climbing, without climbing equipment, in the Jones Keeney Wildlife Management Area eight miles east of Princeton, Ky., according to a Kentucky State Police news release.

http://www.courierpress.com/...ath-brf/?partner=RSS

Partner camhead

Apr 21, 2010, 3:25 PM
Post #2 of 10 (6601 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Rock climber killed, companion injured [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Majid, I think you are smart enough that you can put a bit more relevance into this than just copying and pasting a news article that you damn well know is obfuscating and incomplete. "Free style" climbing? WTF?

Translation: Two kids fell scrambling. They were not rock climbers in the sense that 99.9% of this site understands. RIP to the victims and best wishes to their families, nonetheless.

Also, ten seconds of google mapping the location showed that this likely happened around Dawson Bluffs in Western KY.

majid_sabet

Apr 21, 2010, 4:45 PM
Post #5 of 10 (6455 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Rock climber killed, companion injured [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
Majid, I think you are smart enough that you can put a bit more relevance into this than just copying and pasting a news article that you damn well know is obfuscating and incomplete. "Free style" climbing? WTF?

Translation: Two kids fell scrambling. They were not rock climbers in the sense that 99.9% of this site understands. RIP to the victims and best wishes to their families, nonetheless.

Also, ten seconds of google mapping the location showed that this likely happened around Dawson Bluffs in Western KY.

thanks for informing us. I did not know the detail of the accident and hoped someone could fill the gaps so you did.

Thanks again

pfwein

Apr 21, 2010, 5:02 PM
Post #6 of 10 (6424 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Rock climber killed, companion injured [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

With respect to the victims and their families, it would be interesting to know how both of them came to be injured if they weren't roped together. I've never heard of two scramblers both happening to fall at the same time, but I suppose anything is possible.

mckbill

Apr 21, 2010, 5:40 PM
Post #7 of 10 (6354 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pfwein] Rock climber killed, companion injured [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The linked article mentioned the surviving person fell as he attempted to help his friend.

Prayers to the family and friends

dagibbs

Apr 23, 2010, 5:50 PM
Post #8 of 10 (6007 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pfwein] Rock climber killed, companion injured [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

pfwein wrote:
With respect to the victims and their families, it would be interesting to know how both of them came to be injured if they weren't roped together. I've never heard of two scramblers both happening to fall at the same time, but I suppose anything is possible.

That's not hard if the first person to fall is above the 2nd and falls/slides into the 2nd person.

I know I have, at times, followed someone closely enough that if they slipped, they'd probably take me out, too. Not always a good idea -- maybe even a really bad idea -- but up "easy" terrain, it is more social to walk within easy talking distance.

Partner camhead

Apr 23, 2010, 5:53 PM
Post #9 of 10 (5999 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dagibbs] Rock climber killed, companion injured [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

dagibbs wrote:
pfwein wrote:

That's not hard if the first person to fall is above the 2nd and falls/slides into the 2nd person.

I know I have, at times, followed someone closely enough that if they slipped, they'd probably take me out, too. Not always a good idea -- maybe even a really bad idea -- but up "easy" terrain, it is more social to walk within easy talking distance.

Oh Jesus Fucking Christ, read the goddamn linked article before you start speculating, both of you.

And Majid, consider changing the thread title so it does not include the words "rock climber" if you have any sense of style at all.

dagibbs

Apr 23, 2010, 6:06 PM
Post #10 of 10 (5976 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Rock climber killed, companion injured [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
dagibbs wrote:
pfwein wrote:

Oh Jesus Fucking Christ, read the goddamn linked article before you start speculating, both of you.

And Majid, consider changing the thread title so it does not include the words "rock climber" if you have any sense of style at all.

I specifically know this wasn't what happened as mentioned in the article. I was reacting to the "I've never heard of two scramblers happening to fall a tthe same time".

I did not in anyway mean to suggest that the scenario I described was the actual scenario that occurred in the reported accident. I don't think my language suggested it either. I didn't say, "maybe one of those scramblers slid into the other".

I was, though, looking at something that I (and others) do as part of the approach/departure of climbing trips and which might have a risk factor we haven't sufficiently considered. I think that is appropriate for this forum, and thread.

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook