Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

wiki

Apr 30, 2010, 7:20 AM
Post #26 of 113 (6992 views)
Shortcut

Re: [i_h8_choss] New climber.. Toes hurt.. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:

WTF what?

IMO......

A climber will climb better if he/she wears tight shoes.
If a foot fits into a shoe, it cannot be too tight.

There is a reason why ballet dancers buy really tight, painful, uncomfortable slippers. It's because they stand on their toes for several hours per day.
You'll never see a ballet dancer wearing a 'snug but not too tight slipper'. My mom told me that. (haha) She practiced ballet for 40 years.

A ballet dancer practices YEARS of ballet and foot-strengthening exercises in soft, comfortable shoes before they are even allowed to look at shoes like that (pointe shoes)... Ballet teachers are very strict on this.

Maybe it is wise for beginner climbers to do the same?

i_h8_choss

Apr 30, 2010, 8:19 AM
Post #27 of 113 (6986 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] New climber.. Toes hurt.. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
jt512 wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
scottsee wrote:
I'm 210lbs (95.45 kg) and supporting my weight on a single inside toe edge foot hold is really painful! I'm wondering if this is just one of those things I need to suck up and work through to get better? How do I over come this major obstacle in my climbing? Do I just need to focus on making myself stand on my toes and then ware sandals for the next couple days after until I get stronger or they break off?

Thanks in advance..

How old are you and what's your background in sports and athletics?

Do you do/ or have you ever done any squats. lunges, or calf raises?

This info. might better help to solve your problem.

Since your new, and I'll asume you've been climbing for less than a month indoors, I would say chances are your shoes aren't too tight and you just need to suck up the pain for a while (2-4 months) and keep climbing. Doing squats, lunges, and various calf rasie and ankle rotation exercises could help, but like I said, describe your athletic background.

WTF?

Jay

WTF what?

IMO......

There is a reason why ballet dancers buy really tight, painful, uncomfortable slippers. It's because they stand on their toes for several hours per day.
You'll never see a ballet dancer wearing a 'snug but not too tight slipper'. My mom told me that. (haha) She practiced ballet for 40 years.

The pain will only last a short while and when a climber develops some calluses on the toes, and the rubber molds around his/ her foot......well......bring on the 'smearing on nothings'.

Me personally, have a much better chance to edge off tiny pimple footholds on a climb in the 5.12 range if I'm wearing a tight shoe. If my toe was only slightly bent and there was some dead space in my shoe, those pimple holds become harder.

A few years ago I bought a pair of those LaSportiva Testerosas. In a 43 1/2. I wear a street shoe 46. They hurt like hell for the first 2-3 months but now are, by far, my most favorite, go to shoe. No more pain. No dead space. If I'm trying 5.11 or harder, I always wear those.

The OP is a n00b. Toe crunching and the 'ballet foot' is a completely new concept for him. It'll get better with time. I was just trying to feel him out on the subject of athletics and lifting weights. Trying to get an idea on his threshold of pain.

It's kinda obvious now that his shoes aren't tight and he just needs to suck it up a bit.

So WTF is yer question/response?

Your questions about his age and experience with weight lifting were inane, and your logic that since he was a beginner that shoes weren't too small was fatally flawed.

HTH

Jay

If the OP'er is 16 years old and climbing is his/her first athletic activity, I don't think it's inane at all.

ed 4 gud spel

(This post was edited by i_h8_choss on Apr 30, 2010, 8:20 AM)

jt512

Apr 30, 2010, 8:34 AM
Post #28 of 113 (6983 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:
jt512 wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
jt512 wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
scottsee wrote:
I'm 210lbs (95.45 kg) and supporting my weight on a single inside toe edge foot hold is really painful! I'm wondering if this is just one of those things I need to suck up and work through to get better? How do I over come this major obstacle in my climbing? Do I just need to focus on making myself stand on my toes and then ware sandals for the next couple days after until I get stronger or they break off?

Thanks in advance..

Since your new, and I'll asume you've been climbing for less than a month indoors, I would say chances are your shoes aren't too tight and you just need to suck up the pain for a while (2-4 months) and keep climbing. Doing squats, lunges, and various calf rasie and ankle rotation exercises could help, but like I said, describe your athletic background.

WTF?

Jay

WTF what?

IMO......

The pain will only last a short while and when a climber develops some calluses on the toes, and the rubber molds around his/ her foot......well......bring on the 'smearing on nothings'.

Me personally, have a much better chance to edge off tiny pimple footholds on a climb in the 5.12 range if I'm wearing a tight shoe. If my toe was only slightly bent and there was some dead space in my shoe, those pimple holds become harder.

A few years ago I bought a pair of those LaSportiva Testerosas. In a 43 1/2. I wear a street shoe 46. They hurt like hell for the first 2-3 months but now are, by far, my most favorite, go to shoe. No more pain. No dead space. If I'm trying 5.11 or harder, I always wear those.

The OP is a n00b. Toe crunching and the 'ballet foot' is a completely new concept for him. It'll get better with time. I was just trying to feel him out on the subject of athletics and lifting weights. Trying to get an idea on his threshold of pain.

It's kinda obvious now that his shoes aren't tight and he just needs to suck it up a bit.

Your questions about his age and experience with weight lifting were inane, and your logic that since he was a beginner that shoes weren't too small was fatally flawed.

HTH

Jay

If the OP'er is 16 years old and climbing is his/her first athletic activity, I don't think it's inane at all.

Obviously, if you thought it was inane you wouldn't have said it in the first place.

What was that about squats, again?

Jay

i_h8_choss

Apr 30, 2010, 8:41 AM
Post #29 of 113 (6981 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wiki] New climber.. Toes hurt.. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wiki wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:

WTF what?

IMO......

A ballet dancer practices YEARS of ballet and foot-strengthening exercises in soft, comfortable shoes before they are even allowed to look at shoes like that (pointe shoes)... Ballet teachers are very strict on this.

Maybe it is wise for beginner climbers to do the same?

Maybe......

but if every new climber goes out and buys loose shoes during the first year or two, it could result in poor tecnique or injury.

I wish I was given the tight shoe advice when I started. I could have saved some $$ and maybe developed better footwork/ tecnique.
Rock climbing is painful, especially in the beggining. Only later on it gets comfortable.

I cannot count how many new climbers I've seen putting their whole foot on a jug foot hold, mostly using the inside arch/ and not even using the toes.

jt512

Apr 30, 2010, 8:54 AM
Post #30 of 113 (6979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:
if every new climber goes out and buys loose shoes during the first year or two, it could result in poor tecnique or injury....

I cannot count how many new climbers I've seen putting their whole foot on a jug foot hold, mostly using the inside arch/ and not even using the toes.

Holy crap, we agree on something!

Ten years ago, on rec.climbing, I wrote:
I disagree with the usual advice given to beginners to get sturdy oversized beginner shoes. On the one hand, we tell beginners how important footwork is, while, on the other, we advise them to wear shoes that hinder their learning good footwork!

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Apr 30, 2010, 9:06 AM)

Partner cracklover

Apr 30, 2010, 5:23 PM
Post #31 of 113 (6950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
if every new climber goes out and buys loose shoes during the first year or two, it could result in poor tecnique or injury....

Holy crap, we agree on something!

Ten years ago, on rec.climbing, I wrote:
I disagree with the usual advice given to beginners to get sturdy oversized beginner shoes. On the one hand, we tell beginners how important footwork is, while, on the other, we advise them to wear shoes that hinder their learning good footwork!

Jay

Except that you're not really agreeing, since the two of you have radically different ideas about what "appropriately tight" shoes for beginners even means.

GO

k.l.k

Apr 30, 2010, 6:20 PM
Post #32 of 113 (6931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
jt512 wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
jt512 wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
scottsee wrote:

Thanks in advance..

WTF?

Jay

WTF what?

IMO......

HTH

Jay

Obviously, if you thought it was inane you wouldn't have said it in the first place.

Jay

You're wasting yr time with this one.

His post here was model of insight and wisdom compared with the advice he's giving in some of the other threads.

jt512

Apr 30, 2010, 6:28 PM
Post #33 of 113 (6927 views)
Shortcut

Re: [k.l.k] New climber.. Toes hurt.. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

k.l.k wrote:
jt512 wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
jt512 wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
jt512 wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
scottsee wrote:

Thanks in advance..

WTF?

Jay

WTF what?

IMO......

HTH

Jay

Jay

His post here was model of insight and wisdom compared with the advice he's giving in some of the other threads.

Roger that.

Jay

aerili

Apr 30, 2010, 7:11 PM
Post #34 of 113 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scottsee] New climber.. Toes hurt.. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scottsee wrote:
I think my calf's/legs are pretty tone for an amateur. I can do 3-4 sets of 50 calf raises, and yesterday while stretching on my pull up bar I was able to do 12 single leg calf raises on each leg without trouble or sore muscles this morning.. I do think I lack ankle strength. I need to look up some good exercises/stretches to help me with training those tendons and muscles..

The number of calf raises you can do is pretty much irrelevant. Your problem is intrinsic foot strength--or the lack of it. Most other sports and/or the physical requirements of day-to-day life does not really prepare anyone to have the foot strength required for climbing.

There are exercises which do help improve intrinsic foot strength, but they're very tedious and I think you will just progress faster in this department by simply climbing (and possibly adjusting your shoe brand/fit, the style of climbing you're doing, i.e. climb more slab, more stemming, less edgy face routes, etc).

scottsee

Apr 30, 2010, 7:53 PM
Post #35 of 113 (6904 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] New climber.. Toes hurt.. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

The number of calf raises you can do is pretty much irrelevant. Your problem is intrinsic foot strength--or the lack of it. Most other sports and/or the physical requirements of day-to-day life does not really prepare anyone to have the foot strength required for climbing.

There are exercises which do help improve intrinsic foot strength, but they're very tedious and I think you will just progress faster in this department by simply climbing (and possibly adjusting your shoe brand/fit, the style of climbing you're doing, i.e. climb more slab, more stemming, less edgy face routes, etc).

That's logical.. I'm going to head up to Tempe tonight and look at some new shoes and just suck it up and TRY HARDER!

dugl33

Apr 30, 2010, 8:42 PM
Post #36 of 113 (6886 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scottsee wrote:
In reply to:

That's logical.. I'm going to head up to Tempe tonight and look at some new shoes and just suck it up and TRY HARDER!

Sometimes you gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet. I'm also going to guess your shoes are too tight. This said, don't worry about it too much. Skiers have multiple pairs of skis, climbers have multiple pairs of shoes. I still have a pair of la sportiva kendos that edge better than anything else I've ever tried, but they crushed my toe nails beyond recognition and would be worthless on a multipitch route with cracks and slabs.

Its good that you're trying on shoes at the end of the day, as you foot is likely to swell during the day. Go for a hike or run a few miles first even better.

Also, consider an unlined leather shoe. They can conform to your foot better over time, don't smell half as bad, and I believe work better on smearing and thin cracks. (I have somewhat narrow feet and I like mythos, sized down one street size. I've also sized down a one and a half but thats as far as I like to go.) Lined shoes, synthetic shoes, and shoes with slingshot rands are not going to stretch much, so you better like them out of the box.

You need not crush your feet. When you try on shoes ask for multiple sizes right off the bat, including your street shoe size. Go down a half size (no socks) and see how it feels. Try a whole size down. Try a bunch of brands. Maybe even consider a slipper style if you find one that fits well. I forgot my shoes on a trip once and ended picking up a pair of five ten coyotes (?). They were one of the cheapest shoes and turned out to be a good comfy shoe with enough to them to get it done.

For now you're climbing in the gym -- and most gyms don't require sustained edging on microjibs, certainly not as a beginner.

Learn where to place your foot on the holds. Learn how to roll your edge onto small holds, you know, that old school stuff. If you actually end up with a shoe thats reasonably comfortable (gasp) you'll be set for those long multi-pitch routes. Save the tight ones for the dime edges you can't get up in your comfy-er shoes.

scottsee

May 1, 2010, 5:51 AM
Post #37 of 113 (6864 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dugl33] New climber.. Toes hurt.. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for that info..

I climbed for about 3 hours this evening at the local gym, after putting my feet in my shoes and making myself stay strapped in between runs, focusing on flexing my toes and doing calf raises on small foot holds on the wall I'm feeling a lot more comfortable in the shoes.. They are to small.. But I feel they are manageable and I really stopped thinking about it after my first couple toe holds... I just sucked it up and climbed.. Did good too.. Nailed a couple 5.9's the first time back in 7 months..

Climb on..

curt

May 1, 2010, 7:25 AM
Post #38 of 113 (6852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:
IMO......

If a foot fits into a shoe, it cannot be too tight...

And, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion--no matter how wrong it might be.

Curt

i_h8_choss

May 1, 2010, 11:24 AM
Post #39 of 113 (6840 views)
Shortcut

Re: [k.l.k] New climber.. Toes hurt.. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

k.l.k wrote:
jt512 wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
jt512 wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
jt512 wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
scottsee wrote:

Thanks in advance..

WTF?

Jay

WTF what?

IMO......

HTH

Jay

Jay

You're just mad cause you thought I drove a subaru.....and you were wrong Tongue Oh...that and you're afraid of tweakers.Tongue

ed 2 add: And I started reading some of your posts. Seems you're really good at fixing peoples posts by crossing out their opinions, and you have a very nice talent of smartass answers. Keep up the good work.

(This post was edited by i_h8_choss on May 1, 2010, 12:45 PM)

i_h8_choss

May 1, 2010, 11:34 AM
Post #40 of 113 (6838 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] New climber.. Toes hurt.. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
IMO......

And, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion--no matter how wrong it might be.

Curt

And your opinion is very intelligent.

Oh wait....you didin't state your opinion on the matter.

i_h8_choss

May 1, 2010, 11:45 AM
Post #41 of 113 (6832 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I just figured it just comes with the territory.

It seems like you got it figured out.

i_h8_choss

May 1, 2010, 12:03 PM
Post #42 of 113 (6830 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scottsee wrote:
Thanks for that info..

I climbed for about 3 hours this evening at the local gym, after putting my feet in my shoes and making myself stay strapped in between runs, focusing on flexing my toes and doing calf raises on small foot holds on the wall I'm feeling a lot more comfortable in the shoes.. They are to small.. But I feel they are manageable and I really stopped thinking about it after my first couple toe holds... I just sucked it up and climbed.. Did good too.. Nailed a couple 5.9's the first time back in 7 months..

Climb on..

Good 4 u!
It'll get better with time. Im pretty sure that 1 size down is quite common for most climbers. I personally like 1 to 2 sizes down because I'm an idiot and I like pain. And we all have different feet and different preferences.WinkHave fun.

curt

May 1, 2010, 3:57 PM
Post #43 of 113 (6807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:
curt wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
IMO......

Curt

Sorry, but your lack of comprehension does not constitute a failure to communicate on my part.

Curt

i_h8_choss

May 1, 2010, 4:39 PM
Post #44 of 113 (6796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
curt wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
IMO......

Curt

Sorry, but your lack of comprehension does not constitute a failure to communicate on my part.

Curt

Sorry, but your failure to communicate tells me you have no comprehension. At least I have a lack of itTongue

curt

May 1, 2010, 7:13 PM
Post #45 of 113 (6782 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:
curt wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
curt wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
IMO......

Curt

Curt

Sorry, but your failure to communicate tells me you have no comprehension. At least I have a lack of itTongue

I can see that I need to dumb things down for you. If you think that your comment above (that I have now made red) is correct, then you are a fucking idiot. Additionally, if your hypothesis were correct, you should probably be climbing much harder than you claim to in your profile.

Curt

i_h8_choss

May 2, 2010, 9:19 AM
Post #46 of 113 (6745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
curt wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
curt wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
IMO......

Curt

Curt

I can see that I need to dumb things down for you. If you think that your comment above (that I have now made red) is correct, then you are a fucking idiot. Additionally, if your hypothesis were correct, you should probably be climbing much harder than you claim to in your profile.

Curt

You're the fucking idiot.

But you can help yourself by answering one question.

Curt, how should a foot fit into a climbing shoe?

curt

May 2, 2010, 7:04 PM
Post #47 of 113 (6719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:
curt wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
curt wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
curt wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
IMO......

Curt

Curt

Curt

Well, since I climb much harder than you in shoes that are not exceptionally tight, I guess everyone can decide for themselves which of us is the true idiot.

In reply to:

I suppose it's progress that you now at least want to know how to properly size climbing shoes.

Curt

i_h8_choss

May 2, 2010, 10:09 PM
Post #48 of 113 (6706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
curt wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
curt wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
curt wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
IMO......

Curt

Curt

Curt

Well, since I climb much harder than you in shoes that are not exceptionally tight, I guess everyone can decide for themselves which of us is the true idiot.

In reply to:

I suppose it's progress that you now at least want to know how to properly size climbing shoes.

Curt

I've climbed my fair share of 5.12/V7 moves. Don't assume that all of my ticks are in the rc.com database. This isn't a spray contest you moron. And what are you, like 50? I've got twenty more years to go up one bouldering grade.Cool

We're talking about shoes. Get back on subject you drifter.

And I never said exceptionally tight shoes. I just said tight shoes. Get it right dumb-ass.

I don't have any problems finding the right shoes for me. I know what shoes are good for me.

But yet you still have not given your opinion on your thoughts/suggestions for wearing shoes. Until you do, Im going to assume you are an idiot, old-school, worthless spray lord. Tongue

curt

May 2, 2010, 10:30 PM
Post #49 of 113 (6700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:

and:

"i_h8_choss wrote:
...And I never said exceptionally tight shoes. I just said tight shoes. Get it right dumb-ass.

It's a little hard to discuss this much further, since you don't even agree with yourself anymore.

Curt

jt512

May 3, 2010, 3:26 AM
Post #50 of 113 (6675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:

I don't have any problems finding the right shoes for me. I know what shoes are good for me.

Then you should keep it to yourself, because your advice is terrible.

Jay

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook