Forums: Climbing Information: Accident and Incident Analysis:
How could this fall have turned out better?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

dugl33

May 3, 2010, 5:42 AM
Post #26 of 59 (10105 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hawaii_climbing_guy] How could this fall have turned out better? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Taking in rope on short falls only serves to turn falling forces into centripetal forces, slamming ankles, hips, and wrists into a rather unforgiving rock face.

1.) Use shoulder length runners when setting gear deep.

2.) Tell your partner not to "short rope" you unless you're going to hit the ground, ledge, or some other hazard. Your belayer rat-f'd you, and you rat-f'd his rope, so I guess ya'll are even.

3.) Don't go for sucker holds. You knew they were choss and you went for them anyway, rather than take your burly offwidth bitter pill like a big boy.

4.) Don't be shy about pushing them fat number 6 cams along with you over your head. Its already offwidth... you're already a hero.

USnavy

May 3, 2010, 8:09 AM
Post #27 of 59 (10090 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] How could this fall have turned out better? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
Then he's backpedalling. USnavy taught him to slam your ass and he did.
ummm actually I provide a dynamic catch 99%+ of the time. The only exception is if the climber is going to deck or hit a ledge. Talk shit all you want but I am a very attentive belayer, I take belaying seriously. 750+ lead fall catches (includeing some R rated lines), zero incidents, zero injuries...

(This post was edited by USnavy on May 3, 2010, 8:12 AM)

jt512

May 3, 2010, 8:16 AM
Post #28 of 59 (10083 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] How could this fall have turned out better? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (10 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
750+ lead fall catches (includeing some R rated lines), zero incidents, zero injuries...

Zero honesty.

Jay

USnavy

May 3, 2010, 8:20 AM
Post #29 of 59 (10082 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hawaii_climbing_guy] How could this fall have turned out better? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hawaii_climbing_guy wrote:
This is a minor incident that happened yesterday, April 30, 2010. I got a little bruised up and my ankle is a bit sore, but I'm fine. I'd just like to discuss what happened so that I can be safer in the future.

I was climbing an off-width crack in Zion National Park called Sumo Wrestler (5.10-). I usually don't climb this sort of route so I thought it was a chance to try something a bit out of the ordinary.

I think I was about 40 feet up and had placed several pieces deep in the crack. Each piece was clipped to a short dog-bone quickdraw. No extension slings were used. My last piece was a #4 Camalot.

At this point, I made a mistake. I saw some thin flakes protruding from the face high and to the left of the crack. I jammed a leg in the crack and grabbed the flakes. I knew the flakes were weak and liable to break. However, off-width technique is not my strong suite and I gave in to the temptation to pull down hard on the flakes. Almost immediately, the flakes crumpled in my hands and I was airborn.

As I came down, the rope sheared on the left side of the crack. My belayer says that he jumped back away from the wall to shorten the fall. I slammed into the wall fairly hard, bruising my left hip and tweaking my right ankle. I won't be climbing again for at least a few days.

What is very disconcerting, though, is that the rope was sheared to the core. As a matter of fact, a few of the core strands were severed. I feel that if the edge had been sharper, you might be reading about another incident similar to the July 11, 2009 Seneca Rocks incident ( see other thread ).

By my own analysis, the cause of the fall was pulling down on holds that I knew were likely to break. The cam was about at my feet, so I was not run out. I've been wondering if it would have been wise to put a runner on that last cam; would that have prevented the rope shearing on the edge of the crack? The crack eans a little bit to the left at the point where the rope presumably sheared, so that probably contributed to the shear damage. Would it likely have prevented damage to the rope had the belayer given a dynamic belay instead of jumping away from the wall?

Off-width junkies, please chime in? :-)

First off your belayer should have provided you with a dynamic catch if you were that far off the deck and that close to your piece. Remember I told you I wouldn’t climb with you in Mexico if you didn’t pay attention to that? Now you know why. I have brought the subject up with you multiple times so I know you know this. Dynamic catches are very important, they can easily make the difference between a soft ride and a broken foot. Not to mention hard catches can rip marginal gear. It’s a serious matter.

As far as the rope goes, ropes under tension are much more suitable to damage from abrasion then when they are not under tension. The fact that you clipped the cam in short made the issue worse as it increased drag (and thus impact force) and pulled the rope into the crack. Glad to see your okay. How’s your vacation going anyway? I can’t wait to make it down to there, let me know how the rest of your trip goes.

(This post was edited by USnavy on May 3, 2010, 8:23 AM)

USnavy

May 3, 2010, 8:23 AM
Post #30 of 59 (10073 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] How could this fall have turned out better? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
USnavy wrote:
750+ lead fall catches (includeing some R rated lines), zero incidents, zero injuries...

Zero honesty.

Jay
Six years leading, 2 - 4x a week a year long. Do the math, that’s about one catch every day I go climbing. That’s pretty conservative. I think I caught six or seven lead falls yesterday alone.

(This post was edited by USnavy on May 3, 2010, 8:37 AM)

jt512

May 3, 2010, 8:25 AM
Post #31 of 59 (10069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
This is a minor incident that happened yesterday, April 30, 2010. I got a little bruised up and my ankle is a bit sore, but I'm fine. I'd just like to discuss what happened so that I can be safer in the future.

I was climbing an off-width crack in Zion National Park called Sumo Wrestler (5.10-). I usually don't climb this sort of route so I thought it was a chance to try something a bit out of the ordinary.

I think I was about 40 feet up and had placed several pieces deep in the crack. Each piece was clipped to a short dog-bone quickdraw. No extension slings were used. My last piece was a #4 Camalot.

At this point, I made a mistake. I saw some thin flakes protruding from the face high and to the left of the crack. I jammed a leg in the crack and grabbed the flakes. I knew the flakes were weak and liable to break. However, off-width technique is not my strong suite and I gave in to the temptation to pull down hard on the flakes. Almost immediately, the flakes crumpled in my hands and I was airborn.

As I came down, the rope sheared on the left side of the crack. My belayer says that he jumped back away from the wall to shorten the fall. I slammed into the wall fairly hard, bruising my left hip and tweaking my right ankle. I won't be climbing again for at least a few days.

What is very disconcerting, though, is that the rope was sheared to the core. As a matter of fact, a few of the core strands were severed. I feel that if the edge had been sharper, you might be reading about another incident similar to the July 11, 2009 Seneca Rocks incident ( see other thread ).

By my own analysis, the cause of the fall was pulling down on holds that I knew were likely to break. The cam was about at my feet, so I was not run out. I've been wondering if it would have been wise to put a runner on that last cam; would that have prevented the rope shearing on the edge of the crack? The crack eans a little bit to the left at the point where the rope presumably sheared, so that probably contributed to the shear damage. Would it likely have prevented damage to the rope had the belayer given a dynamic belay instead of jumping away from the wall?

First off your belayer should have provided you with a dynamic catch if you were that far off the deck and that close to your piece. Remember I told you I wouldn’t climb with you in Mexico if you didn’t pay attention to that? I have brought the subject up with you multiple times so I know you know this. Dynamic catches are very important, they can easily make the difference between a soft ride and a broken foot. Not to mention hard catches can rip marginal gear. Its a serious matter.

As far as the rope goes, ropes under tension are much more suitable to damage from abrasion then when they are not under tension. The fact that you clipped the cam in short made the issue worse. Glad to see your okay. How’s your vacation going anyway? I can’t wait to make it down to there, let me know how the rest of your trip goes.

Shit. Again I find myself agreeing with one of your posts. I hate it when gumbies improve. It undermines my entire worldview. Now if you could just get the whole then/than–your/you're thing figured out.

Jay

USnavy

May 3, 2010, 8:37 AM
Post #32 of 59 (10060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
USnavy wrote:

First off your belayer should have provided you with a dynamic catch if you were that far off the deck and that close to your piece. Remember I told you I wouldn’t climb with you in Mexico if you didn’t pay attention to that? I have brought the subject up with you multiple times so I know you know this. Dynamic catches are very important, they can easily make the difference between a soft ride and a broken foot. Not to mention hard catches can rip marginal gear. Its a serious matter.

As far as the rope goes, ropes under tension are much more suitable to damage from abrasion then when they are not under tension. The fact that you clipped the cam in short made the issue worse. Glad to see your okay. How’s your vacation going anyway? I can’t wait to make it down to there, let me know how the rest of your trip goes.

Shit. Again I find myself agreeing with one of your posts. I hate it when gumbies improve. It undermines my entire worldview. Now if you could just get the whole then/than–your/you're thing figured out.

Jay

Well if I ever make a million dollars I will hire Vanna White to teach me demonstrative adjectives just for you.

socalclimber

May 3, 2010, 1:22 PM
Post #33 of 59 (10014 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
jt512 wrote:
USnavy wrote:

Jay

Well if I ever make a million dollars I will hire Vanna White to teach me demonstrative adjectives just for you.
SlySlyLaughLaughLaugh
Tongue

socalclimber

May 3, 2010, 1:54 PM
Post #34 of 59 (9994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

Here's the simple fact of the matter.

There is no one person to blame here. The blame is equally shared in this incident. First off, if you climb with a partner, then you are involved in a TEAM.

Did the belayer blow it? YES. Did the leader blow it? YES. This crap I continuously hear around here about how the belayer or the leader is to blame is bullshit.

Good partnerships in climbing are every bit as important as anything else.

I mean no disrespect in my following statements:

The unfortunate Woody Stark incident is a classic example. Everybody blamed Woody's partner for his death. Woody was 100% as responsible for his demise as was his partner.

Regardless of all the "accident analysis", the facts are very simple. One vastly experienced climber got cranky and rushed things at the top. One vastly inexperienced climber folded like a house of cards in a tornado and didn't question the systems he clearly did not understand.

Hence the horrible outcome.

Both are responsible.

I routinely climb with people who are far better and more experienced climbers than myself. I promise you, if they set up a system I do not understand, I question it till I do. I'm not going anywhere until I know we have an agreement on a system that we both understand.

As far as this incident goes, in my opinion, we have to inexperienced partners getting in over their heads at every level.

To the OP, good for you for posting this up. It's brought up a number of good issues to discuss.

Heal up quickly, and learn from your/partners mistakes. Don't look to lay blame.

If people don't like this type of advice, I suggest you start soloing.

(This post was edited by socalclimber on May 3, 2010, 1:58 PM)

rtwilli4

May 3, 2010, 4:03 PM
Post #35 of 59 (9938 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] How could this fall have turned out better? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

socalclimber wrote:
In reply to:
"Come on. There is nothing wrong with getting on a climb at your limit. How are you supposed to get better at OW by leading climbs that are easy for you? "

Well, actually there is. This accident is not purely the belayers fault. The "leader" clearly got himself in over his head, by a large margin.

Apparently you're very new to climbing. By starting on something much tamer that was more at his level, he would have been able to learn some skills, and not find himself in a desperate situation. It's very clear to me by his description of the incident that he knowingly headed into bad territory because he was scared.

In this situation, he used poor judgement. Not only by his own admission did not have ow skills, he now how to grapple with gear to boot.

Great way to get into trouble.

Yep... you got me. I'm a gumby.

I never said that the leader didn't make mistakes. He went off route to rock that the admitted looked bad to begin with.

All I'm saying is that the only real way we learn things is from mistakes, and the only way to make them is to push ourselves. I've never gotten better at climbing by doing things that I was comfortable with.

Even though the OP has questions about how to sling his gear, he obviously knew how to place it and wasn't even run out at the time of the fall. He panicked because he was in over his head. Swollen ankle is the result... not a big deal. I can't think of a better way to learn not to go off route.

theguy

May 3, 2010, 4:40 PM
Post #36 of 59 (9926 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Now if you could just get the whole then/than–your/you're thing figured out.

What about suitable/susceptible?

Partner cracklover

May 3, 2010, 5:21 PM
Post #37 of 59 (9901 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] How could this fall have turned out better? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
I can't think of a better way to learn not to go off route.

Hoo boy. I guess you're right, in the sense that the "best" way to learn not to do something is a way that 1 - The only reason why you're not dead is plain old luck and a few strands of core, and 2 - results in injury.

IMO, you keep learning by your "best" method, you'll have a short climbing career.

GO

Partner cracklover

May 3, 2010, 5:23 PM
Post #38 of 59 (9900 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] How could this fall have turned out better? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BTW, I'd like to thank the OP for posting this - made for some good discussion. Sometimes I think accident analysis is dumb, but this is not one of those times.

I agree with those who've said the main causes of the accident were
1 - poor route selection
2 - a poor decision to pull on the loose flakes, and
3 - a hard catch that put all the scraping on a short section of rope.

Change any one of these three, and the accident wouldn't have happened.

In general, short stiff dogbones are not so good for anything but bolts, but I they may not have contributed to this particular accident. It's certainly possible they caused the top cam to walk further into the crack, causing the rope to run in a sharper angle over the edge, but that's pure supposition.

GO

socalclimber

May 3, 2010, 6:36 PM
Post #39 of 59 (9862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

Hoo boy. I guess you're right, in the sense that the "best" way to learn not to do something is a way that 1 - The only reason why you're not dead is plain old luck and a few strands of core, and 2 - results in injury.

IMO, you keep learning by your "best" method, you'll have a short climbing career.

GO

Thanks Gabe. Couldn't have said it better myself.

majid_sabet

May 3, 2010, 9:12 PM
Post #40 of 59 (9824 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
angry wrote:
ummm actually I provide a dynamic catch 99%+ of the time. The only exception is if the climber is going to deck or hit a ledge. Talk shit all you want but I am a very attentive belayer, I take belaying seriously. 750+ lead fall catches (includeing some R rated lines), zero incidents, zero injuries...

at 750 lead fall, I think you got a sh*tty partner

socalclimber

May 4, 2010, 12:44 AM
Post #41 of 59 (9782 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] How could this fall have turned out better? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
USnavy wrote:
angry wrote:

at 750 lead fall, I think you got a sh*tty partner

SlySlySlyLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

climbingtrash

May 4, 2010, 1:44 AM
Post #42 of 59 (9766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
jt512 wrote:
USnavy wrote:

Zero honesty.

Jay
Six years leading, 2 - 4x a week a year long. Do the math, that’s about one catch every day I go climbing. That’s pretty conservative. I think I caught six or seven lead falls yesterday alone.

On bolts or gear?

rtwilli4

May 4, 2010, 3:25 AM
Post #43 of 59 (9741 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

GO

You guys are taking my words out of context. I've said already that the guy was in over his head and made mistakes. Anytime the leader falls it's his/her fault. Can't blame it on anyone else.

I just don't think that the grade of the climb is automatically a reason to say "you picked the wrong route... what were you thinking?" I don't see how you are supposed to learn how to climb harder without climbing harder. I suck at OW but a 5.6 or 5.7 like someone suggested that the OP should have been on still feels easy for me. I'm not sure I'd skip over the 5.9, but then again 5.9 can be harder than 5.10 where I'm from! What other ways are there to develop your OW technique?

Luck is a contributing factor in every climbing incident. In this case I think the rope did it's job. Sure you can say he was lucky that the rope didn't break, but you could also say that he was unlucky that his belayer short roped him, maybe causing the core shot.

USnavy

May 4, 2010, 9:18 AM
Post #44 of 59 (9693 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingtrash] How could this fall have turned out better? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingtrash wrote:
USnavy wrote:
jt512 wrote:
USnavy wrote:

Zero honesty.

Jay

On bolts or gear?
Mostly bolts.

justroberto

May 4, 2010, 7:01 PM
Post #45 of 59 (9630 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] How could this fall have turned out better? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
...it's just a fall that wasn't too pretty.

We've all had a hundred of them.
That's being generous 'round these parts.

IsayAutumn

May 4, 2010, 8:31 PM
Post #46 of 59 (9597 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] How could this fall have turned out better? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
cracklover wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

GO

You guys are taking my words out of context. I've said already that the guy was in over his head and made mistakes. Anytime the leader falls it's his/her fault. Can't blame it on anyone else.

I just don't think that the grade of the climb is automatically a reason to say "you picked the wrong route... what were you thinking?" I don't see how you are supposed to learn how to climb harder without climbing harder. I suck at OW but a 5.6 or 5.7 like someone suggested that the OP should have been on still feels easy for me. I'm not sure I'd skip over the 5.9, but then again 5.9 can be harder than 5.10 where I'm from! What other ways are there to develop your OW technique?

Luck is a contributing factor in every climbing incident. In this case I think the rope did it's job. Sure you can say he was lucky that the rope didn't break, but you could also say that he was unlucky that his belayer short roped him, maybe causing the core shot.

I'm with you, rtwilli4. Sure, anyone can say that the accident wouldn't have happened had he not climbed that route. But you can say that until the the end of time, and you won't get much climbing in. Sounds like he's on a climbing trip. I wouldn't want to waste too much time climbing 6s and 7s when I have limited time in a place like Zion.

It seems it was a bad catch and short runners that made this incident what it was. The fact that he was on a difficult climb for him has little to do with it. The mistakes made by climber and belayer indicate that similar things may have happened on another climb, also.

He obviously is learning from his mistakes. I'm glad he brought this up, because I have learned from them, too!

Partner robdotcalm

May 9, 2010, 3:54 PM
Post #47 of 59 (9487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Without knowing more details about the route or the climb, it is difficult to determine if the belayer was wrong in stopping the fall as rapidly as possible. He did keep the leader from decking, which is important. Given the information that we have, the belayer probably took the best possible action considering that the leader leaned out of an offwidth crack and had short-clipped gear deep inside the crack.

As a general rule, the default option on belaying on a moderate trad climb, which 99% of the time is not overhanging, is to clamp down immediately to shorten the fall lest the climber bump into something. On an overhanging sport climb, the default is to use a soft catch. There are occasions when the defaults need to be overridden. We have zero evidence that this is the case in the present.

For a starter, we have no information on whether the climb, Sumo Wrestler, is overhanging. Searching here and on Mt. Project, I could find nothing about the climb. Since it only rated 10-, I assume it’s not overhanging at all or slightly at the most.

The following comment was made by one poster, “As I picture it belayer pulled tight resulting in abrupt swing into the rock which resulted in an ankle injury.” There is no evidence to support this supposition. The OP states, “At this point, I made a mistake. I saw some thin flakes protruding from the face high and to the left of the crack. I jammed a leg in the crack and grabbed the flakes,” and then “I slammed into the wall fairly hard, bruising my left hip and tweaking my right ankle.” Given that the OP leaned to the L, it is likely that his R leg was jammed into the crack. His R ankle was most likely injured in one of the most common ways that occurs in crack climbing—the jammed appendage gets hurt from the forces generated on it as the upper body falls out of the crack. And in this case we know the fall did not result from his foot slipping in the crack but from his reaching out of the crack to the L and his handhold failing. As far as the L hip, yes he hit the rock but that’s what happens when the climb is not overhanging whether given a hard or soft catch.

The climber was merely 40 feet off the deck. If the belayer had given handfuls of slack and the top piece had pulled and the next piece was not close by this could have led to grounding. The comment to give handfuls of slack is scary lacking a precise description of the cliff face.

Thanks to the OP for posting this accident, which has led to an interesting discussion.

Cheers,
Rob.calm

hawaii_climbing_guy

May 12, 2010, 3:07 AM
Post #48 of 59 (9408 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] How could this fall have turned out better? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, guys.

It sounds like planning for a dynamic belay is the way to go whenever possible. I'm still not so sure about using long slings, though.

I'm safely home from my climbing trip and my ankle is mostly healed.

I'd just like to remind everyone of the reason I posted here.

I do not seek to assign blame to my belayer or myself for what happened; as a matter of fact, I do not care whose it is. I do not seek pity or attention.

I ask only one question: "How could this fall have turned out better?"

Obviously, I could have climbed something easier. I also could have stayed home. Given that I did attempt to climb the route and I did go off route and I did take a relatively short fall that bruised my hip and twisted my ankle a little bit, what could my belayer or myself have done to make the fall turn out better.

It sounds like the twisted ankle likely resulted from the torque as the jammed leg came out of the crack, so it is probably the case that not much could have been done about that. For the bruised hip that slammed into the rock, a dynamic belay might have worked out better.

hawaii_climbing_guy

May 19, 2010, 2:46 AM
Post #49 of 59 (9313 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Better late than never. Here is a picture of the core shot.
Attachments: coreshot.jpg (229 KB)

notapplicable

May 19, 2010, 3:12 AM
Post #50 of 59 (9302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yikes

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook