Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

gosharks

May 24, 2010, 9:55 PM
Post #26 of 74 (3447 views)
Shortcut

Re: [i_h8_choss] Trying to understand the V-system [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:
Well it's a good thing that climbing grades are subjective cause I'm going to have to disagree. A climbers endurance should not be a factor in the grade. It should be about the crux move or moves.

And some boulder problems have multiple cruxes, but if they are all V7 (5.13a) cruxes, it does not make sense (to me) to give it a V8 (5.13 b/c) or V9 (5.13d) grade. All good climbers should just have endurance.

If I'm grading a problem that is sustained V7 climbing, I would not give it a V9 grade.

If a fat, chubby, out of shape climber who can climb V7 moves can't do a sustained V7 problem, he/she would grade it V8 or V9 on the FA.

Where do you draw the line? 20 V7 problems stacked on top of each other isn't going to be V7/5.13a

(This post was edited by gosharks on May 24, 2010, 9:55 PM)

rockforlife

May 24, 2010, 10:17 PM
Post #27 of 74 (3438 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:
rockforlife wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
rockforlife wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
PJA7 wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
jt512 wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
The length does not matter. The amount of moves does not matter.

I'm curious. What is it like to always be wrong?

Jay

Why are you trolling around in the Bouldering forum?

Stick to what your good at, bashin' n00bs and hangdoggin spurt routes. Tongue

Oh please explain the V-scale to everyone oh wise Jay.

And tell me why a one move dyno problem is a V5?
Then another problem with 3 easy V0 moves up to a V5 dyno is still a V5?

R and X rated are for the length and/or potential danger of a problem.

lol, nice strawman. Obviously sometimes adding to the length doesn't affect the grade, like if you tack on a few moves that are 5 grades below the crux. But other times length does matter. A lot of the V14/15 problems are V11s and V12 s that have been strung together. I'm sure also that some of the 15+ move VHard problems don't have any single move that is as hard as a 3 move VHard.

So then the first V17 will be something like this.... ?

a V11 overhang into a V13 traverse then a V10 face to a V12 topout. Plus a beanie was worn and it was like, gnar.

The crux is the V13 traverse but if one lacks endurance they could call it a V19.

There is still oil leaking into the Gulf of Mexico.

From Rock and Ice

" On February 27, at the.......Daniel Woods climbed Fred Nicole's Esperanza (V14). He called the new line, which tacks a V7 start into the desperate roof. Desperanza and tentatively graded it V15."

That's an extension of an existing problem. The Op'er didn't ask about that. I wasn't commenting about an extension of a problem.

It was asked about the length of a problem (or one problem). A 2 move problem (which would be V7 with a V7 crux) and a 20 move problem (also rated V7 with a V7 crux).

In the Buttermilks there are lots of big problems. Some with around 20 moves. Take High Plains Drifter for example, a V7 problem with the V7 crux move being low to the ground at the overhang, then lots of easier moves up high on the slab. If a traverse was added to High Plains Drifter, then that would be a 2nd problem and probably get a new name and new grade.

Oil is still leaking......

The crux was still V14, apparently he doesn't have the endurance to climb that hard. That's why he graded it V15 when he put on the extension.

He graded a new problem and gave it a new name.

And really....should adding one V7 (5.13a) move to an existing V14 (5.15) change the 'crux move' to V15 (5.15 c/d)?

Aren't these folks just trying to be the best and up their scorecards so they can take more climbing trips and get more free shwag ?

Think about the oil....

you are an idiot, o and check your ratings there.

i_h8_choss

May 24, 2010, 10:18 PM
Post #28 of 74 (3437 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gosharks] Trying to understand the V-system [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gosharks wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
Well it's a good thing that climbing grades are subjective cause I'm going to have to disagree. A climbers endurance should not be a factor in the grade. It should be about the crux move or moves.

And some boulder problems have multiple cruxes, but if they are all V7 (5.13a) cruxes, it does not make sense (to me) to give it a V8 (5.13 b/c) or V9 (5.13d) grade. All good climbers should just have endurance.

If I'm grading a problem that is sustained V7 climbing, I would not give it a V9 grade.

If a fat, chubby, out of shape climber who can climb V7 moves can't do a sustained V7 problem, he/she would grade it V8 or V9 on the FA.

Where do you draw the line? 20 V7 problems stacked on top of each other isn't going to be V7/5.13a

"20 V7 problems"? Where the hell do you climb.....a gym or via ferrata? Tongue

An outdoor boulder 'problem' (1 problem) is a climb that is given a grade by the FA guy/gal based on the crux, whether it's 3 moves or 23 moves. 23 moves is very unlikely, and if it is 23 moves maybe it should get a route grade.

Grades are subjective. Upgrade or downgrade all you want, but I will never add grades because of length or endurance. That's just me.

I'll cruise your V9 because it's 3 V7 cruxesCool

i_h8_choss

May 24, 2010, 10:39 PM
Post #29 of 74 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockforlife] Trying to understand the V-system [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
The crux was still V14, apparently he doesn't have the endurance to climb that hard. That's why he graded it V15 when he put on the extension.

He graded a new problem and gave it a new name.

And really....should adding one V7 (5.13a) move to an existing V14 (5.15) change the 'crux move' to V15 (5.15 c/d)?

Aren't these folks just trying to be the best and up their scorecards so they can take more climbing trips and get more free shwag ?

Think about the oil....

In reply to:
you are an idiot, o and check your ratings there.

"The crux was still V14" I highly doubt you did the crux. You're the idiot. Quit s*ckin his d*#k and worry about improving your own climbing. If you use my grading system you might just do that.

Unless you wanna do your first V10.....which is actually a V8 with 1 added V4 move. Tongue

I_do

May 24, 2010, 11:29 PM
Post #30 of 74 (3416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:
In reply to:
And if it were sustained all the way from the bottom to the top it would be V8 or V9 with no single move harder then V7.

That's a problem.

On the other hand, if a climber has excellent endurance, and can cruise the same V7 sustained problem, he/she would give it a V6 or V7 rating if FA'ed.

They would both agree that the moves are sustained V7 but they would both give the problem different grades based on their endurance levels.

Then what's next? Adjusting grades because of ape index, age, sex, or shoe size?

Just give the grade based on the crux(es) move(s) and everyone else can judge it easily.

In reply to:
Just look at some of the V15's in the hollow mountain cave, they're massive linkups of V12 and V13 and add up to V15, with their V13 crux.

Where is Hollow Mtn Cave? Again you speak of linkups which is a combination of 2, 3 or more problems that are combined to make a new problem with a new name and grade. This I understand.

In reply to:
So yeah lenght matters.

That's what she said

In reply to:
Note: I think such long monsters are better of getting a route grade, but then again the FA's are usually pretty clear about the climb so who cares, but the principal also applies to shorter boulders.

I agree. 'Long monsters' should be given a route grade because one must have proper endurance to complete the 'long monster'.

But for a boulder problem, whether it's 7 ft. or 27 ft., giving the grade that correlates with the crux or cruxes is most convenient. IMO.

Ok let's focus on this one remark (my bolding added), first of hollow mountain cave is in the grampians in Australia and home to some of the hardest problems in the world albeit very long ones. How come you understand that if you combine a number of problems you can increase the grade without increasing the hardest single move but you can't see that's true for single, longer problems?
Grades are subjective, but stamina factoring into the V-grade is not.

Also you claim good climbers should just have endurance, which is all good but even with endurance a sustained climb or boulder problem is going to be harder then one with only one crux move of the same grade. The grades indicate how hard it is to repeat a problem, not how hard the crux is.

Where's Curt when you need him.

gosharks

May 25, 2010, 12:20 AM
Post #31 of 74 (3405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:
Grades are subjective. Upgrade or downgrade all you want, but I will never add grades because of length or endurance. That's just me.

I'll cruise your V9 because it's 3 V7 cruxesCool
Ok, but you can basically go to any crag and find stuff where length is included in the rating.

wallwombat

May 25, 2010, 9:35 AM
Post #32 of 74 (3377 views)
Shortcut

Re: [I_do] Trying to understand the V-system [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is why I don't give a rat's ring about bouldering grades and virtually never boulder with a guide book.

Grades are evil and they turn people into ranting bitches.

(That wasn't particularly directed at you, I_do. I had to reply to someone's post and yours was the last one)

dingus

May 25, 2010, 12:34 PM
Post #33 of 74 (3362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:
That's an extension of an existing problem. The Op'er didn't ask about that. I wasn't commenting about an extension of a problem.

Just a comment from the listening gallery... you lost points on this one bro.

DMT

dingus

May 25, 2010, 12:38 PM
Post #34 of 74 (3361 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Trying to understand the V-system [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you keep in mind the whole V system was invented because the existing rating systems failed to convey the inventor's awesomeness, deploying these ratings on your own (less awesome, sorry, they just are) problems will be a bit easier to manage.

Make yourself AWESOME!

DMT

i_h8_choss

May 25, 2010, 2:00 PM
Post #35 of 74 (3343 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:

Just a comment from the listening gallery... you lost points on this one bro.

DMT

You may be listening but you didn't read. My comment above, that you say I loose points for, is based on the fact the rockforlife brought up extensions.

The OPer never asked about extensions. Nobody was talking about extensions. The OPer clearly asked about rating a boulder problem.

And I am AWESOME! A beautiful line on a boulder is pretty Awesome. The V-scale is not that Awesome. This thread is not at all Awesome and the oil leaking in the gulf is the opposite of Awesome.

Have a nice daySmile

dingus

May 25, 2010, 2:05 PM
Post #36 of 74 (3341 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cheers man. I have no dog in this fight. I can't even polish your bouldering shoes, mate!

But you still lost points on that one. Hehe.

DMT

mturner

May 25, 2010, 2:06 PM
Post #37 of 74 (3340 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:
A climbers endurance should not be a factor in the grade.
All good climbers should just have endurance.

I agree. 'Long monsters' should be given a route grade because one must have proper endurance to complete the 'long monster'.

HUH?! You don't see how you're contradicting yourself? How are the rules for applying endurance different for bouldering than route climbing?! With your logic a route climber with super good endurance could make the same argument against your sustained route climb.

i_h8_choss wrote:
They would both agree that the moves are sustained V7 but they would both give the problem different grades based on their endurance levels.

Then what's next? Adjusting grades because of ape index, age, sex, or shoe size?

How are those the characteristics judged the same as endurance. You can't say that about strength. For instance, if I'm super strong I may call a one move V7, a V5, but if you're super weak and struggle through it, you may think it's V9. That doesn't mean we should adjust for either person really. It should be a consensus and most people are going to agree that doing two or more V7 cruxes is harder than doing one...period!

jt512

May 25, 2010, 2:27 PM
Post #38 of 74 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:
In reply to:
And if it were sustained all the way from the bottom to the top it would be V8 or V9 with no single move harder then V7.

In the context of a conversation about bouldering, that comment is laughable.

Jay

i_h8_choss

May 25, 2010, 2:41 PM
Post #39 of 74 (3316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
Cheers man. I have no dog in this fight. I can't even polish your bouldering shoes, mate!

DMT

Well you loose points for having no dog and not being willing to polish my bouldering shoes.Laugh

Cheers

i_h8_choss

May 25, 2010, 2:41 PM
Post #40 of 74 (3316 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mturner] Trying to understand the V-system [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mturner wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
A climbers endurance should not be a factor in the grade.
All good climbers should just have endurance.

HUH?! You don't see how you're contradicting yourself? How are the rules for applying endurance different for bouldering than route climbing?! With your logic a route climber with super good endurance could make the same argument against your sustained route climb.

i_h8_choss wrote:

How are those the characteristics judged the same as endurance. You can't say that about strength. For instance, if I'm super strong I may call a one move V7, a V5, but if you're super weak and struggle through it, you may think it's V9. That doesn't mean we should adjust for either person really. It should be a consensus and most people are going to agree that doing two or more V7 cruxes is harder than doing one...period!

O.k. again....the OPer asked about grading a boulder problem. Not grading a route, a 'long monster', a linkup, or an extension. I never brought up any of this but I felt I had to comment to the people that brought that stuff into the thread.

If you want to discuss route grades or linkups, you should start a new thread.

And if I'm doing a boulder problem that has two V7 moves that happen to be the 2 V7 cruxes, I do not think that the second V7 move is harder and should be given V9. It's still two V7 moves, remember.

You obviously suck when you say that the second V7 move is harder that the first V7 move. Again....both V7 moves... remember.

No wonder I like stiff grades so much. They provide a challenge. Seems like too many people these days whine and complain about grades so they give it a harder grade and they feel better because they are chasing numbers. Yourself included, it would seem.

dingus

May 25, 2010, 2:44 PM
Post #41 of 74 (3322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:
dingus wrote:

DMT

Well you loose points for having no dog and not being willing to polish my bouldering shoes.Laugh

Cheers

I can live with this!

Cheers
DMT

i_h8_choss

May 25, 2010, 2:46 PM
Post #42 of 74 (3321 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Trying to understand the V-system [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
i_h8_choss wrote:
In reply to:

In the context of a conversation about bouldering, that comment is laughable.

Jay

I said that because I climb sport, trad, mutipitch and alpine. But yeah it is pretty funny.

Partner supersonick

May 25, 2010, 3:51 PM
Post #43 of 74 (3294 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In the immortal words of principal Max Anderson:

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

i_h8_choss

May 25, 2010, 4:24 PM
Post #44 of 74 (3282 views)
Shortcut

Re: [supersonick] Trying to understand the V-system [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

supersonick wrote:

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

If we were all drunk by the pool trying to figure out what day it is, I'm sure you'd be the smartest guy there.

You really know the v-scale don't you? Enlighten us all so that this thread can die.

i_h8_choss

May 25, 2010, 4:41 PM
Post #45 of 74 (3269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a scenario for all you V scale experts:

I cleaned a FA somewhere in the Sierras last year.
It's 20 ft tall, slightly overhanging and it goes like this...

It's a hard sit start that is V5 then eases into some V2 and V3 climbing. Then goes to a dynamic V5 move followed by a V1 topout.

Should I rate it V6?

dingus

May 25, 2010, 4:53 PM
Post #46 of 74 (3255 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Let's say you rate it V5 like you should... and Joe Prone comes along and does a LayDown v5 extension start to your V5 problem and dabs it V6 because of the additional enduro aspect of this wicked extension.

Renames your problem too.

You OK with that? Or should Joe Prone be shot for being a wanker?

DMT

i_h8_choss

May 25, 2010, 4:57 PM
Post #47 of 74 (3250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude I just checked out your "spraycard" wow yer a 5.13 climber...OMG, can I massage your back muscles next time your out number chasing and upgrading linkups?

bill413

May 25, 2010, 5:05 PM
Post #48 of 74 (3244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:
Here's a scenario for all you V scale experts:

I cleaned a FA somewhere in the Sierras last year.
It's 20 ft tall, slightly overhanging and it goes like this...

It's a hard sit start that is V5 then eases into some V2 and V3 climbing. Then goes to a dynamic V5 move followed by a V1 topout.

Should I rate it V6?

Well, using the formula

Code
    Vroute =  Va + 1/7 Vb + 1/49 Vc + ...+ ( 1/7 Vb if Vb = Va) 
where Va = Crux; Vb = next hardest move; Vc = next hardest move...

We get

Code
    V = V5 + 1/7 V5 + 1/49 V3 + 1/343 V2 + 1/2401 V1 + 1/7 V5

So, it's a V6 problem.

jt512

May 25, 2010, 5:41 PM
Post #49 of 74 (3225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

i_h8_choss wrote:
supersonick wrote:

If we were all drunk by the pool trying to figure out what day it is, I'm sure you'd be the smartest guy there.

You really know the v-scale don't you? Enlighten us all so that this thread can die.

The only reason the thread hasn't died is that you persist in being wrong. At least a half-dozen people have explained to you that problems are rated based on their overall difficulty, not their hardest move, and have given multiple specific examples of this. So, how about you either admitting you're wrong, or coming up with specific counterexamples showing that the rating of a problem is unrelated to its length, as you believe. And, no, not problems rated by you.

Jay

i_h8_choss

May 25, 2010, 7:18 PM
Post #50 of 74 (3201 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Trying to understand the V-system [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The only reason the thread hasn't died is that you persist in being wrong. At least a half-dozen people have explained to you that problems are rated based on their overall difficulty, not their hardest move, and have given multiple specific examples of this. So, how about you either admitting you're wrong, or coming up with specific counterexamples showing that the rating of a problem is unrelated to its length, as you believe. And, no, not problems rated by you.

Jay

Nobody is wrong or right here Jay. Grades are subjective and open to opinion. I am just trying to persuade people on giving the right grade to a problem.

And in the end, I'll give them stiff grades and you'll give them soft grades.....you p#ssy!!Tongue

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook