Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Failing Miserably at Setting up my Hangboard...help!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

IlikeJugs

May 26, 2010, 11:12 PM
Post #1 of 20 (6591 views)
Shortcut

Failing Miserably at Setting up my Hangboard...help!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not really sure where to post this, but I bought a hangboard, went and got the 36" x 10" plywood board that i'm supposed to put behind it, and the 3" decking screws. Well I can't frigging figure out how to screw the screws through the plywood and into my wall. Every time I try I get through the plywood and then a little bit into the wall and it just stops completely. Then I keep trying and basically grind away the face of the screw with my screwdriver. I'm about ready to give up so I was wondering if any of you have put hangboards above your doorways have any advice or some clue as to what I'm doing wrong. Thanks! and here's a pic of what my debacle is looking like

[URL=http://img155.imageshack.us/i/hangboard.jpg/]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us

ianmeister89

May 26, 2010, 11:19 PM
Post #2 of 20 (6585 views)
Shortcut

Re: [IlikeJugs] Failing Miserably at Setting up my Hangboard...help! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Have you tried drilling holes into your wall first?Pirate

redlude97

May 26, 2010, 11:20 PM
Post #3 of 20 (6583 views)
Shortcut

Re: [IlikeJugs] Failing Miserably at Setting up my Hangboard...help! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

are you using an electric drill or a normal screwdriver?

IlikeJugs

May 26, 2010, 11:30 PM
Post #4 of 20 (6574 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] Failing Miserably at Setting up my Hangboard...help! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm using an electric screwdriver, and according to the directions I shouldn't need to drill holes in my wall beforehand...

I'm not to familiar with construction type stuff, but I just thought I'd be drilling through the plywood, the plaster, and more wood.

ianmeister89

May 26, 2010, 11:34 PM
Post #5 of 20 (6569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Drill pilot holes in the proper locations, then you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever.

acorneau

May 26, 2010, 11:35 PM
Post #6 of 20 (6569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try drilling pilot holes in the plaster. That will tell you what's behind there. Who knows, it might be cinder blocks or something.

Is this a house, dorm room, basement, something else, etc.?!?

ebag17

May 26, 2010, 11:45 PM
Post #7 of 20 (6555 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah are you using the screws that were supplied? I used my own but then used the ones that hang board came with for something else and the heads broke off and they stripped out real easy. Just use some decent screws or drill a pilot hole.

IlikeJugs

May 27, 2010, 12:04 AM
Post #8 of 20 (6536 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ebag17] Failing Miserably at Setting up my Hangboard...help! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright I'll try pilot holes and report back

irregularpanda

May 27, 2010, 12:10 AM
Post #9 of 20 (6533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IlikeJugs wrote:
according to the directions I shouldn't need to drill holes in my wall beforehand...

But according to the directions, the mounting-board needs to be attached to something structural.

Or at least it should say that.Tongue If not, then It's possible to yank the screws out of the drywall and end up with stitches. Happened to a friend of mine. I knew better than to use his hangboard because he mounted it straight into drywall without finding the studs.

Use a stud-finder, or pepper your wall with holes. The key is to "map out" where the studs are systematically, and then to mount the plywood with screws that are set in the middle of the studs.

mrsuicide

May 27, 2010, 12:51 AM
Post #10 of 20 (6510 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] Failing Miserably at Setting up my Hangboard...help! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd suggest using a studfinder - drilling holes, and/ or using drywall screws. Drywall screws always go in easier with their narrow diameter.
In reply to:

strickrock

May 27, 2010, 1:10 AM
Post #11 of 20 (6491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When you drive screws into the pilot holes slow the drill down so that it does not strip the screw heads out. Also when you mount the board with the screws tighten them slowly or risk splitting the board and damaging it.

summerprophet

May 27, 2010, 1:12 AM
Post #12 of 20 (6489 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

IlikeJugs wrote:
I'm using an electric screwdriver, and according to the directions I shouldn't need to drill holes in my wall beforehand...

I'm not to familiar with construction type stuff, but I just thought I'd be drilling through the plywood, the plaster, and more wood.

While construction at its most basic is as simple as it gets, any monkeywrench in the project slows things down considerably.

A number of potentail issues, most of which you should be able to puzzle out.

What are the walls and the underlying construction?

IF you are in an old house, they may be lathe and plaster, which is an incredibly touph surface that you will even have difficulty drilling through with regular bits. The same can be said for brick or cinderblock construction. If it is new construction (particularly apartements) it may be steel studs in the walls, which would require special fasteners.

Typical construction would be a beam or double stack of 2x4's above the doorway, with supports continuing up from the door framing and a support centered in the doorway.

An electric screwdriver lacks any significant power for drilling or screwing into wood, particularlyif they are less than 12 volts.

My suggestion is offer up a beer or two to a friend with a drill, a studfinder, and a basic handyman knowledge.

dlangdon

May 27, 2010, 3:33 PM
Post #13 of 20 (6391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

find the studs above the doorway where you will be putting the hangboard up (studfinder as previously stated or tap it if you have a good ear)

mark the wall with a pencil where the studs are then hold the plywood up to the wall and make the same marks on the board. most studs are either 16 or 24 inches apart but that can vary depending on the house you are in or if there is a header above the door.

drill out pilot holes in the plywood where you marked the studs to be. you should only have to put a pilot hole in the plywood to let the screw track straight as it bites into the stud behind the wall.

if the screws still arent catching into the studs then you either hit something important behind the wall (not likely above a door unless youre in a concrete basement or something) or you just need to lean on the drill/charge the drill's battery

i think i found three studs above the door where I put my first board up and put two screws in each of those three studs. then just put the hangboard up on the plywood, you shouldn't need any pilot holes for that just get it centered or whatever

edge

May 27, 2010, 3:48 PM
Post #14 of 20 (6384 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dlangdon] Failing Miserably at Setting up my Hangboard...help! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It looks like you have cut the plywood to the same width as the outside of the door casing. Assuming normal construction, you can figure that there are double studs (stud and a jack stud) within an inch of the side of the door.

If you hit three screws into each end (left and right) of your plywood, that will be enough to hold your hangboard and you. There will also be some sort of header directly above the door, but it may only be a 2x4 on edge directly behind the top casing. If that is the case, then there should be cripple studs coming into that every 16" and you can either find them with a stud finder, or by hammering test holes with a nail every inch. Hitting these cripples with screws is very desirable.

If you are stripping screw heads, then by all means drill a pilot hole the size of the screw shaft minus the threads. Maybe even stand on something so that you are pushing straight in line with the drill. If you are using a drill and not a power screwdriver, maybe start and stop the machine every second so you don't just wind the head off the screw or outrun the ability of the screw to progress; this also gives you more control.

Good luck.

acorneau

May 27, 2010, 3:53 PM
Post #15 of 20 (6374 views)
Shortcut

Re: Failing Miserably at Setting up my Hangboard...help! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ooo, ooo! One more thought...

Make sure you're using the right size bit! If you're using a #1 Phillips in screws that take a #2 you can chew through the heads in no time.

edge

May 27, 2010, 3:56 PM
Post #16 of 20 (6367 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Failing Miserably at Setting up my Hangboard...help! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
Ooo, ooo! One more thought...

Make sure you're using the right size bit! If you're using a #1 Phillips in screws that take a #2 you can chew through the heads in no time.

The screw-fu is strong with this one...

jbro_135

May 27, 2010, 7:12 PM
Post #17 of 20 (6328 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Failing Miserably at Setting up my Hangboard...help! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You might want to use your own screws, the ones metolius gives you are shit. I stripped one and twisted the entire head off another when I was installing mine.

jeepnphreak

May 27, 2010, 7:42 PM
Post #18 of 20 (6300 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok this is acttualy pretty easy.

Locate the studes in the wall, and drill a hole is the correct location and hope that are hitting wood and not ciderblock/steel beam ect. Use a drill bit that is 1/2 - 2/3 the width of the screws you are using, if the drill bit is too big there will be no bit from the screw.

if the studs are wood... install the ply wood via screws and screw driver and make sure you have the proper sized bit so that the screw heads are not destryoed.

follw that by installing the hang board to the plywood, if you can get those screws in to a stud = bonus!.

irregularpanda

May 27, 2010, 7:52 PM
Post #19 of 20 (6293 views)
Shortcut

Re: [summerprophet] Failing Miserably at Setting up my Hangboard...help! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

summerprophet wrote:
My suggestion is offer up a beer or two to a friend with a drill, a studfinder, and a basic handyman knowledge.

If this kid still can't figure it out after all this peanut gallery advice....this^ might be the only real solution.

trenchdigger

May 27, 2010, 8:09 PM
Post #20 of 20 (6278 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] Failing Miserably at Setting up my Hangboard...help! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
summerprophet wrote:

If this kid still can't figure it out after all this peanut gallery advice....this^ might be the only real solution.

So long as he doesn't think the "stud finder" is used to locate the handyman.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook