Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Wall in the GW
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Hinko

May 30, 2010, 5:41 PM
Post #1 of 3 (3292 views)
Shortcut

Wall in the GW  (North_America: United_States: Virginia)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi everyone. I just joined up b/c I am trying to get back into climbing after a long absence.

This weekend my wife and I were camping in the GW near Stanley/Luray. We found a good size wall hidden in the forest, probably close to 200' at its peak and about 200' along its base. The rock is similar to the ridge of Seneca, with parralel cracks at about 80 degrees and the wall itself roughly vertical. There is a stream at the base so the bottom is a little mossy.

It is located on Forest Access Rd near Catherine's Furnace. From 211 take 340 s. Make a right on Newport rd and follow it into the forest. If you look at Mapquest you will see were the FR325 split in Y from running E-W to N-S. There is a parking area right there, and the wall is about 200 meters south on the west side of the river. It is almost impossible to see from the road.

Coordinates of the parking area are

N 38 33.858
W 78 39.492

As I said the wall is a little south/downstream. The road levels off near the parking area after a bit of a steep hill, so if you walk back down the road to where it starts descending then head west across the stream you can't miss it.

Feel free to post/pm me if you have any questions.

Hinko

May 31, 2010, 5:54 PM
Post #2 of 3 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Hinko] Wall in the GW [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

All pics are close up to the base because you can't really see the wall through the trees from further back. All pics are facing west so north is to the right. It is hard to tell from the pics but the wall is generally near vertical and overhanging in some areas. Because of the shoulders and the way the strata lean it may be possible to top rope parts of the northern end. If you look at pic 35a, the tree in the center gives you a sense of the angle of the strata. From the top of the shoulder to the right of the tree it may be possible to TR. The highest part of the face that you can see to the left of the tree is at least 200' up. We were unable to explore the backside so I don't know how passable it it. The base of the wall is a mossy boulder field covered with leaves so watch out for rattlers.
Attachments: P5290035a.JPG (106 KB)
  P5290036a.JPG (104 KB)
  P5290038a.JPG (105 KB)

Hinko

Jun 9, 2010, 2:47 PM
Post #3 of 3 (3202 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Hinko] Wall in the GW [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Correction about the orientation. The road generally runs N-S so I thought the wall was as well, but there is a bend in the road so the right hand side is more west than north.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook