Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Is the n00b right? (AKA "Do top rope anchors need a locker?")
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

kachoong

Jun 18, 2010, 6:49 PM
Post #76 of 89 (2060 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Is the n00b right? (AKA "Do top rope anchors need a locker?") [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
sittingduck wrote:
Great thread!

If you where writing a top-rope-how-to book with your name on the cover, would you recommend the setup you use on a daily basis, or maybe add a locker?

Good question. When you write a book, you have to be very conservative, so, based on these results, I'd probably say that a minimum setup would be a locker and a non-locker. But there is nothing here that convinces me, that for my own purposes, two non-locking quickdraws is inadequate.

Jay

Two non-lockers might be preferential over one of each in this case.

With carabiners, locking and non-locking, not all being of similar shape and size, would using one locker and one non-locker possibly cause more loading to occur on the smaller one? And if it's the non-locker that's smaller, with the possibility of it also being open at the time of the fall, could this situation potentially put the full force on that one open non-locker?

billcoe_

Jun 22, 2010, 4:02 AM
Post #77 of 89 (1984 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Is the n00b right? (AKA "Do top rope anchors need a locker?") [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
25-foot route, and the leader is so inattentive that he has let 12.5 feet of slack build up in the rope.

WTF? Where do you get these people? Won't happen unless the belayer had swallowed 4-5 Valiums and had chugged some beer to put them down.

I recently caught a leader fall on trad/aid with the largest guy I've probably ever climbed with. Ivan goes at @ 250 and 6'7" or so. He popped a piece while fiddling in the next one, and the friggan fall still wasn't 12.5' or marginally so if that...well - it wouldn't have been except for rope stretch and me being pulled up.

Next, in the old days, we use to climb with Eiger oval carabiners. They held 1800 lbs. Brand new! Closed! Which is very little Kn, in fact it's probably a negative number. Yet people would and did routinely take leader falls onto these toy strength rated biners frequently. They usually held too and when they rarely did fail, it was often because they were over an edge or rock irregularity. So, my point is that if hundreds - or thousands - of leader falls and screamers could and were held on a single one of these weak assed biners, why in the hell would 2 modern biners not hold the worse case TR scenario X4 or more every damn time?

I suspect it's your stretching the case. NO ONE non-suicidal gives a 300 lb guy, if you can find one, 12.5 feet of slack. Even 2 feet of slack and you start imagining the hit you nards will be taking when bubba will peel and you'll involuntarily suck up the rope good and tight. Even if bubbas slagging your wife and you want to give him penalty slack, it's psychologically impossible due to this nard-mind connection.

Next, who climbs with 6kn rated biners? I use to climb on Eiger ovals I'd bought in 1972 and have long since traded them for Petzl Spirits which were long ago traded up to Wild country Heliums. 9kn or 10kn open bubba (I've seen both ratings)! Stronger open then the old Eigers closed and brand new! But they won't be open either. However, if you did have some weak assed biner, how do you get both open at the same time if they are opposed and reversed as this alleged 12.5' fall with a 300 lb dude occurs?

Just considering that single carabiner failures on long lead falls are rare. In my 38 or whatever years, I've heard of a few, but that was back in the day when they were much weaker, and still rare back then. So 2 in an ideal setting (you wouldn't be running these over an edge) will not be failing. EVER. How many have you heard of failing in sport climbing lead falls? Rare. And those are lead falls.

That's my thoughts. BTW, for me, even if I have a locker on one ( a not uncommon thing), I still have a non-locker on the other. Why not use two (opposed and reversed still) even if one is a locker? Lockers can and do become unlocked.

bill413

Jun 22, 2010, 1:37 PM
Post #78 of 89 (1958 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Is the n00b right? (AKA "Do top rope anchors need a locker?") [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
jt512 wrote:
25-foot route, and the leader is so inattentive that he has let 12.5 feet of slack build up in the rope.

WTF? Where do you get these people? Won't happen unless the belayer had swallowed 4-5 Valiums and had chugged some beer to put them down.

I recently caught a leader fall on trad/aid with the largest guy I've probably ever climbed with. Ivan goes at @ 250 and 6'7" or so. He popped a piece while fiddling in the next one, and the friggan fall still wasn't 12.5' or marginally so if that...well - it wouldn't have been except for rope stretch and me being pulled up.

All too frequently I see belayers 30 feet away from the cliff. The rope comes down from the first piece, makes a nice caternary curve to the belayer. They think they're keeping the rope fairly tight, but they are wrong.

blueeyedclimber

Jun 22, 2010, 3:50 PM
Post #79 of 89 (1933 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Is the n00b right? (AKA "Do top rope anchors need a locker?") [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

If I am leading a group with n00b belayers and 400 lb. climbers, then my anchor will consist of 17 pieces and 23 lockers, backed up by every tree in the forest Smile

hafilax

Jun 22, 2010, 5:05 PM
Post #80 of 89 (1900 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Is the n00b right? (AKA "Do top rope anchors need a locker?") [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
If I am leading a group with n00b belayers and 400 lb. climbers, then my anchor will consist of 17 pieces and 23 lockers, backed up by every tree in the forest Smile
Sounds exactly like a Majid TR.

ClimbSoHigh

Jun 22, 2010, 6:06 PM
Post #81 of 89 (1881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So to come up with an upper bound on our fall factor we need to put a reasonable upper bound on belayer inattentiveness. On a top rope, the largest fall factors can occur when the climber falls from the anchor on a short route. So, let's say that the climber falls from the anchor on a 25-foot route, and the leader is so inattentive that he has let 12.5 feet of slack build up in the rope. The fall would then be 12.5 feet onto 37.5 feet of rope, for a fall factor of 1/3.

Goping back to the original post, I think you underestimated the largest fall factor. There are a lot of climbs where you have to hang the TR anchor like 20 feet over the edge to prevent drag. At the end of the day, I will usually go on lead over the master point to top out and break down the anchors. For this worst case scenario I think we should look at the leader fall potential on a TR rig. A 40 foot climb with a 20 foot scramble above the anchors would have a worst case fall of 40 feet onto 60 feet of rope, and that is without the belayer being a hand ful of valium and a 12 pack deep with 12.5 feet of slack out. This situation also has double the fall factor of 2/3, double what was used in the original calculation. I dont know about everyone else but I usually will climb 5-10 feet above a TR anchor to top out a cliff and start breaking the anchors down. (usually on 60-80 foot TR's so my maximum fall factor would be 20 foot fall on 70 feet of rope, but that is pushing close to 1/3. Thank god when I do it I have a belayer than isn't a tree. Just some food for thought.

vegastradguy

Jun 22, 2010, 6:57 PM
Post #82 of 89 (1858 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradmanclimbs] Is the n00b right? (AKA "Do top rope anchors need a locker?") [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tradmanclimbs wrote:
On a steep sport climb that only see a few laps before moveing on to next climb 2 draws fine. Less than overhanging with a group use and some pendulums use lockers.

With kids traversing all over the place the biners getting dragged back and forth there is a good chance of gates opening.

Just you and your palls doing a few loops on steep stuff a few draws perfect.

Birthday party that you are responsible for = 4 lockers and helmets for belayer and climber.

Overkill helps insure that you NEVER have to explain to mom why her kid is not coming home.

i like this best- its mostly how i do things. if i'm the ropegun for a bunch of people who dont know how to climb, i'm going to beef up the anchors at the top of the 5.5s- mostly so i dont have even think about whats going on up there while the kids are trying to kill themselves in lots of other ways.

USnavy

Jun 27, 2010, 3:50 PM
Post #83 of 89 (1781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
I think that most experienced climbers believe that if two carabiners with gates opposite and opposed are used for the master point of a top rope anchor, then neither carabiner needs to be a locker. However, over in this post, cleethree writes:

cleethree wrote:
I state that one biner [in the TR master point] needs to be a locker only because that's what is written in books and is the main source of guildlines here. You all speak about limiting the chance of failure at the power point with use of 2 biners, why not always use a locker here for additional safety?

So, presumably, the reason that one biner should be a locker is to eliminate the possibility that both biners are simultaneously loaded with their gates open in a fall. Well, the worst carabiners that meet the CE standard have open-gate strength ratings of 6 kN, giving 12 kN, or 2700 lb, of open-gate strength when used in pairs. To see if this is enough strength, let's calculate the peak impact force in a wost-case top rope fall. Under common assumptions, the peak impact force on the anchor can be calculated as a function of the climber's weight, the fall factor, the UIAA impact force rating of the rope, and the friction between the rope and the anchor. In order to come up with a worst-case fall scenario, we'll use reasonable upper bounds for each of these parameters in our calculation. We'll also assume that the belayer is anchored and gives a static belay.

Upper bounds for impact force parameters

Climber's weight. The heaviest climber I have ever personally climbed with was a guy from the gym who weighed 290 lb. (I, who weigh 135 lb, belayed him, and it wasn't pretty, even on toprope, with me anchored.) Now, if someone who weighs 290 lb can toprope, it is likely that at some church outing or office "team-building" event somewhere, a 300+ pounder has or will get on a toprope. The two fattest people I have ever personally known were Jerry and Marvin from my karate class in high school. Jerry and Marvin were taking karate to lose weight. Jerry, the lighter of the pair, weighed 360 lb, and I think if he set his mind to it, he could struggle up an easy TR route. But Marvin, at 440 lb, just wouldn't get off the ground. So, I think that 400 lb is a reasonable upper bound on the climber's weight.

Fall factor. Fall factor, of course, is the length of the fall (before the rope begins to stretch) divided by the amount of rope out between the belayer and the climber. If the belayer has zero slack in the rope when the climber falls, the fall length will be zero, and hence so will the fall factor. But there often will be at least a small amount of slack in the rope, and if the belayer is inattentive, there could conceivably be a lot. So to come up with an upper bound on our fall factor we need to put a reasonable upper bound on belayer inattentiveness. On a top rope, the largest fall factors can occur when the climber falls from the anchor on a short route. So, let's say that the climber falls from the anchor on a 25-foot route, and the leader is so inattentive that he has let 12.5 feet of slack build up in the rope. The fall would then be 12.5 feet onto 37.5 feet of rope, for a fall factor of 1/3.

UIAA impact force rating. The largest permissible impact force rating for a dynamic rope under UIAA guidelines is 12 kN. We'll use that value.

Friction. Friction is calculated as a fraction of the tension in the climber's side of the rope. It's almost universally taken to be 1/3, so we'll use that value.

So, to recap, our parameters will be the following:

Climber's weight: 400 lb.
Fall factor: 1/3
UIAA impact force rating: 12 kN
Friction factor: 1/3

Now, we plug these values into my on-line impact force calculator¹, and here are the results we get.

The bottom line of figures, the force on the anchor, is what we're interested in. Depending on which impact force model is used, the calculated peak impact force is between 15 and 17 kN, which, regardless of model, is substantially greater than 12 kN, the combined open-gate strength of two UIAA-certified carabiners.

So, is the n00b right? Do we need a locker in the master point of a TR anchor after all?

Jay

¹ The impact force equations that this calculator uses are documented here and here.
Your example is completely and utterly unrealistic. In no stretch of any imagination will you ever get anywhere remotely close to 17 kN in a top rope fall.

First of all, no one makes a rope with an impact force of 12 kN, no one. The highest I have seen is 11.1 kN and the second highest I have seen is about 10.5 kN. Both fit in the top one percentile for having the highest impact force of any rope on the market. Second, 400 lbs. is an unrealistic number to use, 300 is more adequate but even at that we are talking about a fraction of a percent of climbers who fit in that category. Third, a fall factor of 1/3rd is also pretty unrealistic. If the climber did truly take a factor .33 fall and weighed 400 lbs. he would hit the ground on anything less than a full rope length climb. It’s possible but again we are talking about a fraction of a percent of examples.

When discussing safety parameters one must include the extreme examples in which the equipment can be used. But there is a limit to it. If you’re looking at scenarios that are in one hundred thousand of one percentile, you’re looking too far.

Take a look at the UIAA rating. They base their strength requirements on the assumption the climber is 80 kg. Well many climbers, especially those with a full aid rack, weigh over 80 kg. They also don’t test full factor two falls, their test is closer to factor 1.78 with a fall distance of less them 5 m. If they had to assume a worse case scenario they would be testing at 200 kg and doing factor 1.99 drops on 100+ feet of rope on a draw with the gate open. Then your draws would have to be made of hardened steel and your rope would be no thinner than 5/8". Pretty unrealistic...

So maybe your anchor biners should be locking, but not because some 400 lbs. fat ass might decide to TR on the world's less dynamic rope with the world’s least attentive belayer on the world’s weakest biners. I would be more worried about the rope falling out of the biners well before I would be concerned I would push factor two fall forces on my TR anchor.

jt512

Jun 27, 2010, 11:30 PM
Post #84 of 89 (1746 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Is the n00b right? (AKA "Do top rope anchors need a locker?") [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
In no stretch of any imagination will you ever get anywhere remotely close to 17 kN in a top rope fall.

Why? Because you just refuse to believe the result?

In reply to:
First of all, no one makes a rope with an impact force of 12 kN, no one.

But someone could. It's allowed.

In reply to:
The highest I have seen is 11.1 kN...

Which is applicable to the rope when brand new. Ropes lose elasticity with age. Taking that into account, 12 kN is probably not an upper bound. Never mind the fact that lots of climbers top rope on non-dynamic ropes.

In reply to:
...and the second highest I have seen is....

...irrelevant.

In reply to:
Second, 400 lbs. is an unrealistic number to use, 300 is more adequate...

I disagree that 300 is adequate. I'd be shocked if there never was or would be a person over 300 lb that got on a top rope. I agree that 400 is an upper bound. But that's the whole point.

In reply to:
...but even at that we are talking about a fraction of a percent of climbers who fit in that category.

And the entire point of the exercise is to accommodate those extreme cases.

In reply to:
Third, a fall factor of 1/3rd is also pretty unrealistic.

"Pretty" unrealistic? Again, you have apparently completely missed the point of the exercise.

In reply to:
If the climber did truly take a factor .33 fall and weighed 400 lbs. he would hit the ground on anything less than a full rope length climb.

Huh? No he wouldn't. What are you talking about?

In reply to:
It’s possible but again we are talking about a fraction of a percent of examples.

And, the whole point of the exercise is...?

In reply to:
When discussing safety parameters one must include the extreme examples in which the equipment can be used.

Uh, yeah...

In reply to:
But there is a limit to it.

Uh, no.

In reply to:
If you’re looking at scenarios that are in one hundred thousand of one percentile, you’re looking too far.

Not if you want to design something that is fail-safe.

In reply to:
Take a look at the UIAA rating. They base their strength requirements on the assumption the climber is 80 kg.

They're just determining a rating. That has nothing to do with the question at hand. Nothing.

If you want to look at some external standard that is actually relevant, look at industrial standards, where they basically take the worst case scenario load, multiply it by 4 or 5 to determine the required strength. That's far more rigorous a standard than I've used.

Jay

billl7

Jun 28, 2010, 2:30 AM
Post #85 of 89 (1713 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Is the n00b right? (AKA "Do top rope anchors need a locker?") [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If this scenario seems like a stretch to you, consider how frequently the start of a traditional lead is configured for these kinds of forces ... and with ONE non-locker hanging from the jesus nut. Granted, it's not a belay anchor but a failed first piece has its well-known risks.

May all your non-locker gates stay closed, my friend.

Bill L

mattm

Jun 30, 2010, 6:56 PM
Post #86 of 89 (1658 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cleethree] Is the n00b right? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

After killing two expensive Helium draws on an extended sport climbing road trip (The draws were used on the top anchors for lowering etc - 2 somehow got a lot more wear than the others) I decided that having 2 DEDICATED "top anchor draws" was a good idea. I tweaked them to be IDEAL for clipping in, lowering and TRing if so desired.

They consist of: A 2' tripled up (trad draw) Blue Water sling. Very strong, burly and extendable incase you want to extend the anchor point over an edge etc. The "anchor biner" is a classic BD "Lightweight D". The narrow bar stock and nose on this biner is IDEAL for clipping into everything you'll find at an anchor but SPECIFICALLY for those anchors made of JUST CHAIN, washers and Bolts - no hangers. Then on the rope side I use a Non-Locking Oval on one and a LOCKING oval on the other. Nice, thick bar stock for long wear, smooth lowering and locking if needed. Plus, if I do lock the one and lower, another leader can still easily clip the non-locking one as they finish.

While some may decry the specialization here, it makes life SIMPLE when I grab my sling for sport days.

sosure

Jul 12, 2010, 4:00 PM
Post #87 of 89 (1562 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mattm] Is the n00b right? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Its almost never that I hang a top-rope, but if I am planning to do so, I fish three steel ovals out of the gear bin. Individually they are only rated 6kn open, but they have extra stiff springs on the gates and seem unlikely to open up. I started using this set-up not because I was concerned about anchor-point strength but because three straight spines tend to sit nicely on a face and keep the rope off the rock. I make not pretensions to knowing whether this is correct or not.

ss

RiverRatMatt

Jul 13, 2010, 3:27 AM
Post #88 of 89 (1517 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mattm] Is the n00b right? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mattm wrote:
After killing two expensive Helium draws on an extended sport climbing road trip (The draws were used on the top anchors for lowering etc - 2 somehow got a lot more wear than the others) I decided that having 2 DEDICATED "top anchor draws" was a good idea. I tweaked them to be IDEAL for clipping in, lowering and TRing if so desired.

They consist of: A 2' tripled up (trad draw) Blue Water sling. Very strong, burly and extendable incase you want to extend the anchor point over an edge etc. The "anchor biner" is a classic BD "Lightweight D". The narrow bar stock and nose on this biner is IDEAL for clipping into everything you'll find at an anchor but SPECIFICALLY for those anchors made of JUST CHAIN, washers and Bolts - no hangers. Then on the rope side I use a Non-Locking Oval on one and a LOCKING oval on the other. Nice, thick bar stock for long wear, smooth lowering and locking if needed. Plus, if I do lock the one and lower, another leader can still easily clip the non-locking one as they finish.

While some may decry the specialization here, it makes life SIMPLE when I grab my sling for sport days.

So the two slings are 6' long and tripled up to 2', right?

mattm

Jul 13, 2010, 2:40 PM
Post #89 of 89 (1474 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RiverRatMatt] Is the n00b right? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

RiverRatMatt wrote:
mattm wrote:

So the two slings are 6' long and tripled up to 2', right?

No - sorry. Wasn't clear up there. I looked again and it's a 2' sling tripled up just like a trad draw. If the anchors need more than that I probably took some 4'slings along.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook