Wholesale deletion of content should never be allowed
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Partner rrrADAM

Aug 16, 2010, 7:21 PM
Post #126 of 157 (8687 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] Wholesale deletion of content should never be allowed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

MANY times, adatesman wrote:
Now please drop this...

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Aug 16, 2010, 7:21 PM)

jt512

Aug 16, 2010, 8:38 PM
Post #127 of 157 (8633 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Wholesale deletion of content should never be allowed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
airscape wrote:
It seems to me also a lot of work for nothing.

As a user, would you seriously go into each of those multitudes of POST DELETED threads and read some random PDF file hoping it contains some relevant info?

I don't see a way of cataloging the saved posts in a legible format that would make it worthwhile to read them.
Post upon post upon post in a pdf does not make good reading.

It is messy but I thought it was important to append the PDF's to the end of the original threads first. I am considering creating a "master list" later on that will be clearly labeled and all in one thread. It's nowhere close to the original threads but it's the best I can do with what I am working with.

Since they're your threads, can't you edit the subject line?

Jay

curt

Aug 16, 2010, 8:39 PM
Post #128 of 157 (8632 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Wholesale deletion of content should never be allowed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
jt512 wrote:
but for the time being, let me ask you this: Who owns information, once it is published on the Internet, the poster or the world?

Jay

Copyright - the poster owns her material, always.

Now if you mean in a practical sense, that's what we're dealing with right here...

I know you feel very strongly about this and you have posted on this topic before. I don't think anyone is saying that Aric doesn't own the copyright to his work--clearly he does. However, it is a mistake to interpret copyright protection as being absolute--because it simply isn't. The Fair Use doctrine and other exceptions apply.

Another measure might be "reasonable expectation." Only an idiot would post something on the web and assume he/she can maintain absolute control over that content. Whether this is right or wrong is, in my opinion, a separate issue. I should be able to leave my car in my driveway (or anywhere for that matter) with the keys in the ignition and nobody should steal it--it's my car and nobody else has any right to it. But, I don't do that because there is a reasonable expectation that doing so will result in my car being stolen.

Curt

jt512

Aug 16, 2010, 8:46 PM
Post #129 of 157 (8619 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Wholesale deletion of content should never be allowed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
dingus wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
I am fully aware that many will consider me an ass for approaching this from the angle that I have but the controversy is intentional.

See you all? I told you it was malicious. There it is in black and white.

DMT

Technically, the text background on this website is more a light blue or grey.

It's #FAFAFD.

Jay

johnwesely

Aug 16, 2010, 8:52 PM
Post #130 of 157 (8607 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Wholesale deletion of content should never be allowed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
dingus wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
I am fully aware that many will consider me an ass for approaching this from the angle that I have but the controversy is intentional.

DMT

Technically, the text background on this website is more a light blue or grey.

It's #FAFAFD.

Jay

Technically, you are correct.

jt512

Aug 16, 2010, 8:55 PM
Post #131 of 157 (8600 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] Wholesale deletion of content should never be allowed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
dingus wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
dingus wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

DMT

The definition of malice is something that is done with intent to harm.

He has certainly deprived Adatesman control over his own content. This person is a site user, not management. This is equivalent to me saying you can't drive away in your car, because its parked in a public parking lot.

DMT

I might also add that his block quoting of this thread is in direct violation of the license under which I submitted the material. Thanks to SittingDuck for the suggestion to license it; I never thought it ever be an issue that could possibly come up.

You either haven't read that license or you don't understand it. The license explicitly states that have entirely relinquished copyright of the material in perpetuity, and that anyone can do anything with it in whole or in part.

Edit: In another post Aric claims that it was a different license. However, he deleted the post containing the license, so there is no obvious way to verify his claim.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Aug 16, 2010, 9:10 PM)

adatesman

Aug 16, 2010, 10:44 PM
Post #132 of 157 (8560 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Wholesale deletion of content should never be allowed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
adatesman wrote:
dingus wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
dingus wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

DMT

The definition of malice is something that is done with intent to harm.

He has certainly deprived Adatesman control over his own content. This person is a site user, not management. This is equivalent to me saying you can't drive away in your car, because its parked in a public parking lot.

DMT

I might also add that his block quoting of this thread is in direct violation of the license under which I submitted the material. Thanks to SittingDuck for the suggestion to license it; I never thought it ever be an issue that could possibly come up.

You either haven't read that license or you don't understand it. The license explicitly states that have entirely relinquished copyright of the material in perpetuity, and that anyone can do anything with it in whole or in part.

Edit: In another post Aric claims that it was a different license. However, he deleted the post containing the license, so there is no obvious way to verify his claim.

Jay

As I told Curt, Jay, I don't need your opinion on whether my understanding of the license is correct. It is, and you can take a hike since it doesn't seem to matter to you whether I'm right or wrong; only that you get a chance to say I'm wrong.

curt

Aug 16, 2010, 11:05 PM
Post #133 of 157 (8541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
As I told Curt, Jay, I don't need your opinion on whether my understanding of the license is correct. It is, and you can take a hike since it doesn't seem to matter to you whether I'm right or wrong; only that you get a chance to say I'm wrong.

You know, there's a certain irony in you asking another user here to "take a hike" after you have said (multiple times) that you are leaving. How's that coming along, anyway? Did you have to give a 30 day notice?

Curt

carabiner96

Aug 17, 2010, 12:25 AM
Post #134 of 157 (8503 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Wholesale deletion of content should never be allowed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BANZ HAMMER!!!

Partner rrrADAM

Aug 17, 2010, 11:18 AM
Post #135 of 157 (8435 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Wholesale deletion of content should never be allowed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
BANZ HAMMER!!!

Hey... Do you work out?

airscape

Aug 17, 2010, 3:32 PM
Post #136 of 157 (8386 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] Wholesale deletion of content should never be allowed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
BANZ HAMMER!!!

[image]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v149/46/3/6907496/n6907496_32398233_161.jpg[/image]
Hey... Do you work out?

She works out just a little 8bit.

carabiner96

Aug 17, 2010, 3:36 PM
Post #137 of 157 (8383 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] Wholesale deletion of content should never be allowed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
BANZ HAMMER!!!

[image]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v149/46/3/6907496/n6907496_32398233_161.jpg[/image]
Hey... Do you work out?

There was a long story behind that picture, even I can't remember it, something about wearing only post it notes that say 'property of jgloporto'

Gmburns2000

Aug 17, 2010, 5:39 PM
Post #138 of 157 (8344 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Wholesale deletion of content should never be allowed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
BANZ HAMMER!!!

Hey... Do you work out?

There was a long story behind that picture, even I can't remember it, something about wearing only post it notes that say 'property of jgloporto'

at some point they lose their stickiness, right?

right?

vegastradguy

Aug 18, 2010, 4:55 AM
Post #139 of 157 (8252 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Wholesale deletion of content should never be allowed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
adatesman wrote:

You know, there's a certain irony in you asking another user here to "take a hike" after you have said (multiple times) that you are leaving. How's that coming along, anyway? Did you have to give a 30 day notice?

Curt

Laugh

billcoe_

Aug 18, 2010, 3:40 PM
Post #140 of 157 (8188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
I am saying that funds were solicited by me on RC, Gunks, ST, MP, SP, CC and possibly several other sites. Some people responded via email, some via PM on whatever site they saw it on, and in other cases a random check simply appeared in my mailbox. And in one case the donation was a $20 Starbucks card. RC neither had any involvement in this testing nor did they ever officially sanction any of the work I've done in The Lab. My suspicion is that officially sanctioning the testing of commercial gear by a user would interfere with the business/advertising relationship they need to maintain with the gear manufacturers and as such it was always considered my personal work product that they had no claim to.

Speaking only for myself, I sent you $50 to buy some Aliens for testing. This was based on your request for help on this site. I would like to see those results remain. You are welcome to remove the work you did and send me a $50 bill as well.

airscape

Aug 18, 2010, 4:30 PM
Post #141 of 157 (8173 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Wholesale deletion of content should never be allowed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
adatesman wrote:
I am saying that funds were solicited by me on RC, Gunks, ST, MP, SP, CC and possibly several other sites. Some people responded via email, some via PM on whatever site they saw it on, and in other cases a random check simply appeared in my mailbox. And in one case the donation was a $20 Starbucks card. RC neither had any involvement in this testing nor did they ever officially sanction any of the work I've done in The Lab. My suspicion is that officially sanctioning the testing of commercial gear by a user would interfere with the business/advertising relationship they need to maintain with the gear manufacturers and as such it was always considered my personal work product that they had no claim to.

Speaking only for myself, I sent you $50 to buy some Aliens for testing. This was based on your request for help on this site. I would like to see those results remain. You are welcome to remove the work you did and send me a $50 bill as well.

The deletetion of posts is very unfair towards the co-contirbuters of the lab.

Partner rrrADAM

Aug 18, 2010, 5:11 PM
Post #142 of 157 (8155 views)
Shortcut

Re: [airscape] Wholesale deletion of content should never be allowed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, since so many others are involved, I think it is proactively self-centered.

dingus

Aug 18, 2010, 5:17 PM
Post #143 of 157 (8149 views)
Shortcut

Re: [airscape] Wholesale deletion of content should never be allowed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

airscape wrote:
billcoe_ wrote:
adatesman wrote:

Tough shit.

DMT

airscape

Aug 18, 2010, 6:19 PM
Post #144 of 157 (8121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Wholesale deletion of content should never be allowed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
airscape wrote:
billcoe_ wrote:
adatesman wrote:

Tough shit.

DMT

On the other hand though. Maybe the lab will become a better place.

This might be the dawn of the Stephen Hawking of rockclimbing to show his face.

Lick the lab back into shape as it where.

Partner rrrADAM

Aug 18, 2010, 6:59 PM
Post #145 of 157 (8099 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

airscape wrote:
dingus wrote:
airscape wrote:
billcoe_ wrote:
adatesman wrote:

Tough shit.

DMT

Stephen Hawking flashed all my projects! Pirate

airscape

Aug 18, 2010, 7:09 PM
Post #146 of 157 (8086 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
airscape wrote:
dingus wrote:
airscape wrote:
billcoe_ wrote:
adatesman wrote:

Tough shit.

DMT

Stephen Hawking flashed all my projects! Pirate

Lame!

I always thought he was a pushover at the crag.

Partner rrrADAM

Aug 18, 2010, 8:10 PM
Post #147 of 157 (8059 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK... That was good.

Partner philbox

Aug 18, 2010, 8:50 PM
Post #148 of 157 (8035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In fact that was worth a gold star, too funny. LaughLaughLaugh

airscape

Aug 18, 2010, 8:59 PM
Post #149 of 157 (8026 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philbox] Wholesale deletion of content should never be allowed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

May I be the first to say this, in such a serious thread....

airscape

Aug 18, 2010, 8:59 PM
Post #150 of 157 (8027 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by airscape [In reply to]
Report this Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook