Premier Sponsor:

talguy

Nov 10, 2010, 2:26 PM
Post #1 of 7 (775 views)
Shortcut

Tuning Skis
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just bought my first pair of skis. I've been skiing for a couple years and go out about 3 times a year in PA which is enough for me to handle about and trailing rating PA has to offer. I heard that new skis should be tuned before you use them to get rid of the concaved spots. Is this nessecary for a intermediate skier or should I wait till the end of the season. I do plan to ski a lot this year now that I live in New England and have a season pass.

Partner macherry

Nov 10, 2010, 3:27 PM
Post #2 of 7 (766 views)
Shortcut

Re: [talguy] Tuning Skis [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you know this is a rock climbing site?

but yeah, you should get your new skis tuned and waxed

hafilax

Nov 10, 2010, 3:30 PM
Post #3 of 7 (766 views)
Shortcut

Re: [talguy] Tuning Skis [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Unless you bought really cheap skis they should be good to go. If you have a flat scraper or bar you can run it down the length of the ski and check. The middle of the base should be slightly higher than the edges by less than a millimeter. If the base is too high or low take it to a good shop with a stone grinder and get them tuned.

If you find that you're hooking an edge a lot you can detune (unsharpen) the edges near the tips and tails. Sometimes they are a little too sharp from the factory.

I recommend getting a waxing kit. I like to wax my skis/board every 3 or so days. If you're going a lot it makes a difference.

talguy

Nov 10, 2010, 4:34 PM
Post #4 of 7 (758 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Tuning Skis [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
you know this is a rock climbing site?

but yeah, you should get your new skis tuned and waxed

Yea I know this is a climbing site but this is the ask what ever is on your mind sub forum of the site so thats why I posted here.

hafilax wrote:
Unless you bought really cheap skis they should be good to go. If you have a flat scraper or bar you can run it down the length of the ski and check. The middle of the base should be slightly higher than the edges by less than a millimeter. If the base is too high or low take it to a good shop with a stone grinder and get them tuned.

If you find that you're hooking an edge a lot you can detune (unsharpen) the edges near the tips and tails. Sometimes they are a little too sharp from the factory.

I recommend getting a waxing kit. I like to wax my skis/board every 3 or so days. If you're going a lot it makes a difference.

Thanks for the info. I think this season I'll just wax them and put get the tuned before the start of next season.

Alpine07

Nov 11, 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #5 of 7 (724 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Tuning Skis [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:

Well said, my current skis did fine right from the factory (Volkl). Also a very good tip about detuning if you are catching edges.

carabiner96

Nov 12, 2010, 3:02 AM
Post #6 of 7 (713 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Alpine07] Tuning Skis [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Alpine07 wrote:
hafilax wrote:

Well said, my current skis did fine right from the factory (Volkl). Also a very good tip about detuning if you are catching edges.

Especially east coast skiing.

Alpine07

Nov 13, 2010, 5:11 AM
Post #7 of 7 (687 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Tuning Skis [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
Alpine07 wrote:
hafilax wrote:

Especially east coast skiing.

yes indeed.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook