Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Broken anchor carabiner on K-2 in LA (not the real K2)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

speffers

Nov 23, 2010, 7:22 PM
Post #1 of 8 (6372 views)
Shortcut

Broken anchor carabiner on K-2 in LA (not the real K2)  (North_America: United_States: California: Los_Angeles_County: Malibu_Creek_State_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Climbed there yesterday and broke the fixed carabiner on the 2 bolt of K-2. The carabiner was deaply worn and the nose broke off with moderate hand pressure. Unfortunately the anchor requires a wrench to replace the carabiner so I could not install a new carabiner. The other bolt is still good, and the broken bolt can be girth hitched.

(This post was edited by speffers on Nov 25, 2010, 1:10 AM)
Attachments: broken carabiner small.jpg (50.5 KB)

brokesomeribs

Nov 24, 2010, 11:24 PM
Post #2 of 8 (6275 views)
Shortcut

Re: [speffers] Broken anchor carabiner on K-2 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

speffers wrote:
Climbed there yesterday and broke the fixed carabiner on the 2 bolt of K-2. The carabiner was deaply worn and the nose broke off with moderate hand pressure. Unfortunately the anchor requires a wrench to replace the carabiner so I could not install a new carabiner. The other bolt is still good, and the broken bolt can be girth hitched.

HOLY SHIT! Hand pressure?!?!

speffers

Nov 24, 2010, 11:31 PM
Post #3 of 8 (6271 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brokesomeribs] Broken anchor carabiner on K-2 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah. The basket was heavily worn so I opened the gate, pulled on the nose and it broke right off. The carabiner had about 1/8" of thickness left.

majid_sabet

Nov 25, 2010, 1:04 AM
Post #4 of 8 (6235 views)
Shortcut

Re: [speffers] Broken anchor carabiner on K-2 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you should at least change the title to K2 in los angeles. I thought you did this in real K2 but then you would not be here.

any photos from this broken biner in LA k2?

milesenoell

Nov 25, 2010, 4:15 AM
Post #5 of 8 (6176 views)
Shortcut

Re: [speffers] Broken anchor carabiner on K-2 in LA (not the real K2) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

speffers wrote:

Hey, at least this one doesn't appear to have been sharp like some of the others.

Seriously though, these ridiculously weakened pieces of fixed gear are no longer coming across as "the most worn piece I've ever seen!", and are now just a friendly reminder to watch out. That's kinda spooky.

majid_sabet

Nov 25, 2010, 6:44 AM
Post #6 of 8 (6147 views)
Shortcut

Re: [milesenoell] Broken anchor carabiner on K-2 in LA (not the real K2) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

milesenoell wrote:
speffers wrote:

[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=5376;[/image]

Hey, at least this one doesn't appear to have been sharp like some of the others.

Seriously though, these ridiculously weakened pieces of fixed gear are no longer coming across as "the most worn piece I've ever seen!", and are now just a friendly reminder to watch out. That's kinda spooky.

please

do not even replace it. these sort of clip and go mentality kills people. this time you were lucky, next time someone will die because of another worn out biner.

speffers

Nov 25, 2010, 7:14 AM
Post #7 of 8 (6140 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Broken anchor carabiner on K-2 in LA (not the real K2) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, as it is it's not safe. The girth hitch is iffy, and when you clean and rap you can't use a girth hitch so you have to rap on the one bolt.

It should probably be replaced with a hanger & steel rap ring so you can rap on two bolts, or a steel quick clip if convenience is desired.

mckbill

Nov 25, 2010, 2:59 PM
Post #8 of 8 (6081 views)
Shortcut

Re: [speffers] Broken anchor carabiner on K-2 in LA (not the real K2) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Weld_it (from supertac0) should be all over this.

Sounds like rad training for the real K2.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook