Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Cosizzle

Dec 24, 2010, 6:15 PM
Post #1 of 74 (6769 views)
Shortcut

Lead Belaying (advise)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys,

So the other night at my local gym I had a small scare, I was belaying a lead on a 12b and my partner was up and over the overhang. He got towards the top so I let out a little rope, as I was doing so he fell.

This is frustrating to write because I'm horribly ashamed I allowed for this to happen. Anyways, he fell my first reaction was to use my left hand to grab the rope (which left a small light burn) I then, with my right hand, because it was on the break forced it down to lock the ATC, as well I threw myself flat to the ground. He didn't fall bad at all, it was actually quite clean. I was very lucky and learnt a very valuable lesson.

I've gone over and over this in my head of what I could have done differently. When I learnt to belay I learnt the pinch and slide method, however when lead belaying I've found this to be a little slow. I've started to (when I take rope) do the following:
1. Pull the ATC up so both lines are parallel. (right hand is on the break)
2. Pull the rope and lock the ATC
3. position the left hand on the break, remove the right hand and place it above the left just below the ATC
4. repeat (if needed)

To me the first step seems to be a really vulnerable spot in which a lot of bad can happen. This method has come naturally, and I know I've read about it. My questions are:
1. Instead of pulling up (making both lines parallel) would it be better to pull outwards?
2. The method I'm using, is it more common? I've read the pinch and slide isn't that good and can lead to more mistakes.

I'm posting this because I'm looking for feed back at what I could have done, or should do differently. I think in climbing, these small moments happen and although they're scary as anything they happen to teach us something. So please when posting, provide feedback that will help.

Thanks a ton guys!

billl7

Dec 24, 2010, 6:22 PM
Post #2 of 74 (6762 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Cosizzle] Lead Belaying (advise) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cosizzle wrote:
This is frustrating to write because I'm horribly ashamed I allowed for this to happen.
... allowed exactly what to happen? The burn on the left hand?

Cosizzle

Dec 24, 2010, 6:30 PM
Post #3 of 74 (6749 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] Lead Belaying (advise) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

haha no, I'm kinda glad I have that... it's a nice reminder. What I'm ashamed of is that I allowed for a moment in which something could have gone terribly wrong.

I managed to lock the ATC and save the day... but it happened all so fast I feel as if there was a lot of scrambling going on with my hands which I believe is the scary part.

crazy_fingers84

Dec 24, 2010, 6:40 PM
Post #4 of 74 (6741 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cosizzle wrote:
Hey guys,

So the other night at my local gym I had a small scare, I was belaying a lead on a 12b and my partner was up and over the overhang. He got towards the top so I let out a little rope, as I was doing so he fell.

This is frustrating to write because I'm horribly ashamed I allowed for this to happen. Anyways, he fell my first reaction was to use my left hand to grab the rope (which left a small light burn) I then, with my right hand, because it was on the break forced it down to lock the ATC, as well I threw myself flat to the ground. He didn't fall bad at all, it was actually quite clean. I was very lucky and learnt a very valuable lesson.

I've gone over and over this in my head of what I could have done differently. When I learnt to belay I learnt the pinch and slide method, however when lead belaying I've found this to be a little slow. I've started to (when I take rope) do the following:
1. Pull the ATC up so both lines are parallel. (right hand is on the break)
2. Pull the rope and lock the ATC
3. position the left hand on the break, remove the right hand and place it above the left just below the ATC
4. repeat (if needed)

To me the first step seems to be a really vulnerable spot in which a lot of bad can happen. This method has come naturally, and I know I've read about it. My questions are:
1. Instead of pulling up (making both lines parallel) would it be better to pull outwards?
2. The method I'm using, is it more common? I've read the pinch and slide isn't that good and can lead to more mistakes.

I'm posting this because I'm looking for feed back at what I could have done, or should do differently. I think in climbing, these small moments happen and although they're scary as anything they happen to teach us something. So please when posting, provide feedback that will help.

Thanks a ton guys!

I dont understand what you are saying about your belay method at all... why are you touching the atc while belaying? also, approx. how far did your climber fall, how much rope was out?

p.s. please don't say learnt, it hurts my brain

currupt4130

Dec 24, 2010, 6:44 PM
Post #5 of 74 (6733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Put your left below your right, slide your right, and then replace your left wherever it was. Some people will argue that you can take your right off the brake as long as your left is on it and swap it over but it's easier and better habit to never remove your right hand from the brake side.

When you're feeding slack, like normal left on the upper and right on the brake, you really shouldn't have to take out much slack when you're leader falls unless they're in danger of hitting something like a ledge or the lip of an overhang.

If they fall, lock it off and hold on, that's it.

Colinhoglund

Dec 24, 2010, 7:05 PM
Post #6 of 74 (6717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Technically, your break hand should never be above your belay device especially with an atc (or similar). The reason you got a burn is because until you moved the break strand below the device there was essentially no breaking friction provided by the atc. Heres your step by step.

1. One hand above atc, one on break strand.
2. Loosen grip on rope, slide both hands down rope without *letting go*
3. Tighten grip with both hands and pull slack through
4. Repeat

This is the official recommended non locking belay device lead method as prescribed by the ACMG in Canada. Nigh everyone I've climbed with does this.

billl7

Dec 24, 2010, 7:28 PM
Post #7 of 74 (6695 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cosizzle wrote:
I managed to lock the ATC and save the day... but it happened all so fast I feel as if there was a lot of scrambling going on with my hands which I believe is the scary part.
As touched on by others, I suspect the "scrambling" has more to do with taking your initial break hand off the rope and then getting it back on ... not so much with bringing the break strand momentarily up to give out slack.

And if you are trolling, coals in your stocking on the mantle!!

crazy_fingers84

Dec 24, 2010, 7:31 PM
Post #8 of 74 (6686 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Colinhoglund] Lead Belaying (advise) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Colinhoglund wrote:
Technically, your break hand should never be above your belay device especially with an atc (or similar). The reason you got a burn is because until you moved the break strand below the device there was essentially no breaking friction provided by the atc. Heres your step by step.

1. One hand above atc, one on break strand
4. Repeat

This is the official recommended non locking belay device lead method as prescribed by the ACMG in Canada. Nigh everyone I've climbed with does this.

The OP is asking for lead belaying advice, not top roping.

billl7

Dec 24, 2010, 7:33 PM
Post #9 of 74 (6682 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crazy_fingers84] Lead Belaying (advise) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

crazy_fingers84 wrote:
Colinhoglund wrote:

1. One hand above atc, one on break strand
4. Repeat

The OP is asking for lead belaying advice, not top roping.
I was a little confused about that too, but I think Step 3 is paying out slack when the leader is advancing or clipping.

billl7

Dec 24, 2010, 7:43 PM
Post #10 of 74 (6676 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Colinhoglund] Lead Belaying (advise) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Colinhoglund wrote:
Technically, your break hand should never be above your belay device especially with an atc (or similar).
Just to be clear, does this regard both lead belay and top-rope belay? Or are you just speaking to this thread which regards lead belay?

spikeddem

Dec 24, 2010, 7:46 PM
Post #11 of 74 (6669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

this method may be ok for 12a, but you gotta be UP TO PAR for 12b. jeez.12b is not playtime anymore!

Partner j_ung

Dec 24, 2010, 8:48 PM
Post #12 of 74 (6645 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Lead Belaying (advise) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have absolutely no idea what's going on right now.

Cosizzle

Dec 24, 2010, 8:51 PM
Post #13 of 74 (6644 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm looking for lead belaying advise. To be more specific I'm looking to find the safest and most efficient way of taking in slack when belaying

jt512

Dec 24, 2010, 9:29 PM
Post #14 of 74 (6623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cosizzle wrote:
I'm looking for lead belaying advise. To be more specific I'm looking to find the safest and most efficient way of taking in slack when belaying

The pinch-and-slide method is safe if you are properly trained. However, you weren't, as evidenced by the fact that your first reaction was to grab the rope with the wrong hand. You should have instantly locked off the rope when your partner peeled. Grabbing the rope with wrong hand is unacceptable.

Jay

billl7

Dec 24, 2010, 10:11 PM
Post #15 of 74 (6609 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Cosizzle wrote:

The pinch-and-slide method is safe if you are properly trained. However, you weren't, as evidenced by the fact that your first reaction was to grab the rope with the wrong hand. You should have instantly locked off the rope when your partner peeled. Grabbing the rope with wrong hand is unacceptable.

Agree with that. The pinch-and-slide is not the problem. It is lack of training ... either that or lack of focus.

Or this could have just been an attempt to burn up time before that big Christmas Eve party, eh?

Bill L

shockabuku

Dec 24, 2010, 10:15 PM
Post #16 of 74 (6605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like you need more practice belaying, not a new method.

Partner oldsalt

Dec 24, 2010, 11:25 PM
Post #17 of 74 (6578 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Lead Belaying (advise) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I get the creeps when I see someone take their right hand off of the rope for any reason, lead or TR. I don't do it and I don't want my belayer to do it.

Those who routinely take their right hand off, please explain how you make a catch while it is not in contact with the rope.

[I've seen it, but I can't picture how it works from a tactile/motor standpoint.]

notapplicable

Dec 25, 2010, 12:27 AM
Post #18 of 74 (6554 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oldsalt] Lead Belaying (advise) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oldsalt wrote:
I get the creeps when I see someone take their right hand off of the rope for any reason, lead or TR. I don't do it and I don't want my belayer to do it.

Those who routinely take their right hand off, please explain how you make a catch while it is not in contact with the rope.

[I've seen it, but I can't picture how it works from a tactile/motor standpoint.]

The only time I see people take their "brake hand" off the rope is after they have placed the other hand above it on the brake strand, at which point that is the new "brake hand" while the other crosses over.

Have you seen people routinely take both hands off the rope as a part of their belay method?

notapplicable

Dec 25, 2010, 12:31 AM
Post #19 of 74 (6551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cosizzle wrote:
I'm looking to find the safest and most efficient way of taking in slack when belaying

Sorry, no such thing. Or at least no consensus as to what that method might be.

Edited to add: The search function is your friend - Safest Belay Technique

Not that you will find your answer in that thread but you might learn some new tricks. The reality is, no one technique is perfect, or even ideal for all circumstances.

(This post was edited by notapplicable on Dec 25, 2010, 12:48 AM)

tower_climber

Dec 25, 2010, 1:42 AM
Post #20 of 74 (6526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Buy a Gri-Gri.

Tongue

jt512

Dec 25, 2010, 2:44 AM
Post #21 of 74 (6509 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tower_climber] Lead Belaying (advise) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tower_climber wrote:
Buy a Gri-Gri.

Bad advice.

Jay

Partner j_ung

Dec 25, 2010, 2:56 AM
Post #22 of 74 (6500 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Lead Belaying (advise) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
tower_climber wrote:
Buy a Gri-Gri.

Bad advice.

Jay

Heh. I'm probably reading all this wrong, but if I did manage to understand where the rope burn occurred, a Gri-gri might have been disastrous.

tower_climber

Dec 25, 2010, 3:26 AM
Post #23 of 74 (6491 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Lead Belaying (advise) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
tower_climber wrote:
Buy a Gri-Gri.

Bad advice.

And the sharks circle the bait...

Wink

billl7

Dec 25, 2010, 4:10 AM
Post #24 of 74 (6474 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tower_climber] Lead Belaying (advise) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tower_climber wrote:
jt512 wrote:
tower_climber wrote:
Buy a Gri-Gri.

Bad advice.

And the sharks circle the bait...

Wink
Hopefully the beginners are out of the pool.Wink

Partner oldsalt

Dec 25, 2010, 5:04 AM
Post #25 of 74 (6453 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Lead Belaying (advise) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
oldsalt wrote:

No, I have not seen a competent belayer take both hands off of the rope. I have seen people with both hands off, and it was not part of an established school of belaying. It was someone cheating death with someone else's life. I think we see eye to eye on this point.

Those who routinely take their primary hand off (be it right or left), please explain how you make a catch while it is not in contact with the rope. If the answer is that you catch with your other hand, please assure me that you are ambidextrous and can catch with great skill regardless of the hand.

The only time I see people take their "brake hand" off the rope is after they have placed the other hand above it on the brake strand, at which point that is the new "brake hand" while the other crosses over.

Have you seen people routinely take both hands off the rope as a part of their belay method?

I'll man-up here and say that I was taught:

Never take your brake hand off of the rope. The brake hand should be your right (or your dominant) hand. By this philosophy, lefties should not take their left hand off of the rope.

My reaction is based upon watching people doing the pinch technique, where the right hand comes off of the rope to reset after taking slack. I believe that a fall occurring with the dominant hand out of contact with the rope will not be caught as efficiently as one where the hand is always in contact.

No, I have not seen competent belayers routinely take both hands off of the rope.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook