RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

Nora1906

Dec 21, 2010, 11:15 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1650 views)
Shortcut

Winter campgrounds around Stone Mountain, Pilot Mountain or Ship rock
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi there,

Me again! With my climbing partners we`ve decided to go to Pilot Mountain, Stone Mountain or Ship Rock. The decision will depend on places to camp. We`ve been googling campgrounds but couldn't find any open during this time of the year.

Any suggestion? Thanks a lot for the help!

Nora

swoopee

Dec 22, 2010, 4:28 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1641 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Nora1906] Winter campgrounds around Stone Mountain, Pilot Mountain or Ship rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Pilot Mountain and Stone Mountain are state parks and have campgrounds. As far as I know they are open. You may want to check to make sure.

http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/main.php

Ship Rock is just off the Blue Ridge Parkway and there is no camping in the immediate area but there is probably something nearby. However, you may not be able to get to Ship Rock as there has been a good bit of snow in the area lately with more predicted for this weekend.

Of the three, Stone is probably your best bet for climbing, if the Park does not close due to snow.

csproul

Dec 22, 2010, 1:31 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1627 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Nora1906] Winter campgrounds around Stone Mountain, Pilot Mountain or Ship rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nora1906 wrote:
Hi there,

Me again! With my climbing partners we`ve decided to go to Pilot Mountain, Stone Mountain or Ship Rock. The decision will depend on places to camp. We`ve been googling campgrounds but couldn't find any open during this time of the year.

Any suggestion? Thanks a lot for the help!

Nora
THere is a NPS campground not too far from Ship Rock, but I'm not sure if it's open in winter. However, you will probably not be climbing at Ship. It is a cold place and mostly in the shade. I climb there in the hottest parts of the summer. As was said, the only campgrounds that I know about are in Stone Mtn or Pilot State Parks. Remember that if you stay there, they close the gates in the evening, so you cannot leave and come back in.

clemsonscooby

Dec 22, 2010, 4:02 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In the NC selected climbs guidebook, there is a description of a campround less than a few hundred yards from where you turn to go up to the park entrance. It is back by some powerlines and there are signs with the campsite number on them. Drive past a few trailers and you will start to see small pull-offs.

csproul

Dec 22, 2010, 4:29 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1616 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clemsonscooby] Winter campgrounds around Stone Mountain, Pilot Mountain or Ship rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clemsonscooby wrote:
In the NC selected climbs guidebook, there is a description of a campround less than a few hundred yards from where you turn to go up to the park entrance. It is back by some powerlines and there are signs with the campsite number on them. Drive past a few trailers and you will start to see small pull-offs.
Are you talking about Stone or Pilot? Are you sure it's still there? I thought I had heard that the Campsite near Stone had been closed.

BirminghamBen

Dec 22, 2010, 7:36 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1608 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Winter campgrounds around Stone Mountain, Pilot Mountain or Ship rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
clemsonscooby wrote:
Are you talking about Stone or Pilot? Are you sure it's still there? I thought I had heard that the Campsite near Stone had been closed.

If we are talking about Stone Mtn., I stayed there January of this year if that helps. Easy to find and flat.

(This post was edited by BirminghamBen on Dec 22, 2010, 7:37 PM)

swoopee

Dec 24, 2010, 2:22 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Current forecast for Stone Mountain is snow Sat-Mon, then clear for two days, then more rain and snow. Not looking good. Frown

rtwilli4

Dec 31, 2010, 5:27 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was at Ship in early Sept. and it dipped to the 40's. You'll die if you go there now.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook