Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

vinnie83

Jan 7, 2011, 5:24 AM
Post #76 of 92 (2124 views)
Shortcut

Re: [airbender] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not sure I agree with the comment about LA having "amazing culture." My impression is that it is just a big nasty city, but I guess I can't bash it too much since I'm moving there this weekend and even though it takes forever to drive anywhere there is some great climbing around.

In reply to:
-Vegas is a giant sprawling city in the middle of the desert
-The city ranks very low in terms of sustainability... basically they bring in water and electric from hundreds of miles away and use it for light shows, golf courses and water fountains
-There is a huge homeless population there
-Crime is high
-Poor public transportation
-Constant Construction

Is it just me or does this description, with the exception of being in the desert and the whole light show water fountain thing, fit a large percentage of decent sized cities in the US. Maybe we should all just go to Thailand, except for Rangerrob who should probably go to Canada or Norway for the quality ice climbing.

To the OP, if you're pretty set on moving to the vegas area a few other places you might want to look into are St. George, Blue Diamond, and Boulder City.

vegastradguy

Jan 7, 2011, 5:26 AM
Post #77 of 92 (2123 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
BoulderEric wrote:
I grew up in Colorado Springs. So I was close to the Garden of the Gods, Red Rocks Canyon, Turkey Rock, and Cheyenne Canyon. Now I go to school in Boulder, and I'm a 10 minute walk from Chautauqua and the Flatirons, and I'm a short drive to Eldora Canyon. I can't complain about that at all. Short day trip to Moab, as well

You and I have very different definitions of "short day trip"

You obviously haven't hung out with alot of colorado climbers. Those guys are so amped up, they'll drive to yosemite for a weekend if they think they can get something awesome done. Moab barely qualifies as a day trip for those guys.

I actually find this very interesting, though, considering how much rock they have in their own backyard that theyll drive that far for a day to climb.

altelis

Jan 7, 2011, 5:28 AM
Post #78 of 92 (2117 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
altelis wrote:
BoulderEric wrote:
I grew up in Colorado Springs. So I was close to the Garden of the Gods, Red Rocks Canyon, Turkey Rock, and Cheyenne Canyon. Now I go to school in Boulder, and I'm a 10 minute walk from Chautauqua and the Flatirons, and I'm a short drive to Eldora Canyon. I can't complain about that at all. Short day trip to Moab, as well

You obviously haven't hung out with alot of colorado climbers. Those guys are so amped up, they'll drive to yosemite for a weekend if they think they can get something awesome done. Moab barely qualifies as a day trip for those guys.

I actually find this very interesting, though, considering how much rock they have in their own backyard that theyll drive that far for a day to climb.

You're right, haven't hung out with many CO climbers.

I should keep that in mind. In 2 years I'll be moving back out west, and when looking at places and talking to locals I'll have to start filtering their stoke! Cool

BoulderEric

Jan 7, 2011, 5:30 AM
Post #79 of 92 (2117 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
BoulderEric wrote:
Short day trip to Moab, as well
Only if you consider 4+ hrs one way a "short day trip".
Actually, google maps says about 6 hrs. I have a friend in LIttleton who says 5 hrs to Moab.

Down and back isn't a short day trip. But leaving on Friday afternoon after school and getting there by 9:00 is certainly a short day trip down. Leaving Moab at 5:00 and getting back well before midnight is also a short day trip back. So yes, I do consider it pretty short.

BoulderEric

Jan 7, 2011, 5:31 AM
Post #80 of 92 (2114 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:
altelis wrote:
BoulderEric wrote:

You're right, haven't hung out with many CO climbers.

I should keep that in mind. In 2 years I'll be moving back out west, and when looking at places and talking to locals I'll have to start filtering their stoke! Cool

We just travel for the sake of it. Nothing beats a weekend camping with friends and climbing.

altelis

Jan 7, 2011, 5:35 AM
Post #81 of 92 (2108 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BoulderEric] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BoulderEric wrote:
marc801 wrote:
BoulderEric wrote:
Short day trip to Moab, as well
Only if you consider 4+ hrs one way a "short day trip".
Actually, google maps says about 6 hrs. I have a friend in LIttleton who says 5 hrs to Moab.

Down and back isn't a short day trip. But leaving on Friday afternoon after school and getting there by 9:00 is certainly a short day trip down. Leaving Moab at 5:00 and getting back well before midnight is also a short day trip back. So yes, I do consider it pretty short.

Which is why I actually wasn't being sarcastic when I said we must have a different definition of "day trip".

You were referring just to the actual traveling time as a "short day trip".

When I think of a "short day trip", I tend to think of a place I can travel to, climb for while, and travel back home all in a day.

rtwilli4

Jan 7, 2011, 5:39 AM
Post #82 of 92 (2104 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
rangerrob wrote:
is there a single pitch of ice anywhere in Thailand, at any time? If the answer is no, ( and I know it is), then you'd never see me moving there. Let's face it boys and girls...rock climbing is just a way of passing time until the REAL climbing season begins!

RR

[IMG]http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s308/caughtinside_bucket/totempole.jpg[/IMG]

Ha... nice. I saw someone have a terrible fall on that thing once... one of the many routes that probably should not have been bolted but hey, that's Thailand.

rtwilli4

Jan 7, 2011, 5:44 AM
Post #83 of 92 (2092 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
altelis wrote:
BoulderEric wrote:

Weird isn't it. I always see people on the internet raving about the climbing in Boulder, then I go to Boulder and meet people from New York and Utah. Then I go to Indian Creek and the entire fucking campground is Boulder people... every weekend for a month!

phang_nga

Jan 7, 2011, 12:49 PM
Post #84 of 92 (2083 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

rangerrob wrote:
Thailand? Gimme a break.

Yep, you're probably not even cool enough to visit here... You'd best stay there.

(This post was edited by phang_nga on Jan 7, 2011, 12:51 PM)

rangerrob

Jan 7, 2011, 1:23 PM
Post #85 of 92 (2075 views)
Shortcut

Re: [phang_nga] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, you're right on that score. I'm not cool enough to be anywhere. Anyone that knows me knows I'm the biggest dork around. But a dork who knows that when the weather is hot and greasy I get grumpy.

phang_nga

Jan 7, 2011, 2:41 PM
Post #86 of 92 (2059 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

To each his/her own. I find it more comfortable here than summers in Virginia and some other places I've lived in the States. And, once you've lived here for a while you really get used to the steady temperature.

I was climbing yesterday and it was in the low 80s, overcast, lovely light breeze... absolutely perfect and not a drop of sweat (not even any from fear on the tougher routes Tongue )

Stay cold. Sly

marc801

Jan 7, 2011, 3:23 PM
Post #87 of 92 (2052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
When I think of a "short day trip", I tend to think of a place I can travel to, climb for while, and travel back home all in a day.
I'd say that's what the vast majority of folks feel is a "short day trip", except, apparently, climbers from Boulder.

kachoong

Jan 7, 2011, 4:36 PM
Post #88 of 92 (2043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
rangerrob wrote:
is there a single pitch of ice anywhere in Thailand, at any time? If the answer is no, ( and I know it is), then you'd never see me moving there. Let's face it boys and girls...rock climbing is just a way of passing time until the REAL climbing season begins!

RR

Wooo! Drytool the hanging column!

phang_nga

Jan 8, 2011, 12:23 AM
Post #89 of 92 (2016 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice column! I've seen plenty of these. Where is this particular one located? If it's in the south, I'm gonna check it out.

Then I'll put some ice in a drink... where it belongs. Laugh

(This post was edited by phang_nga on Jan 8, 2011, 12:24 AM)

mped

Jan 9, 2011, 4:15 PM
Post #90 of 92 (1985 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mal7623] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Add to OPs list.

-best limestone in USA within 1hr drive. Clark Mountain.
-in addition, fun limestone all around Vegas.

(This post was edited by mped on Jan 9, 2011, 4:17 PM)

Partner camhead

Jan 9, 2011, 4:20 PM
Post #91 of 92 (1980 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mped] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mped wrote:
Add to OPs list.

You realize that a title like "best limestone in the USA" is roughly equivalent to "the smartest kid in special ed," right?

mped

Jan 9, 2011, 6:08 PM
Post #92 of 92 (1970 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Best City to live for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
mped wrote:
Add to OPs list.

You realize that a title like "best limestone in the USA" is roughly equivalent to "the smartest kid in special ed," right?

Since you average 4.5 posts a day for the last 10 years, I tip my extremely tall top hat your way. You sir, are a scholar and gentlemen. Now excuse me while I leave rc.com and actually climb.

(This post was edited by mped on Jan 9, 2011, 6:17 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook