First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

boymeetsrock

Jan 11, 2011, 9:36 PM
Post #26 of 72 (1948 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Queensland floods. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yikes!! Hope Phil and all his neighbors are OK!

Partner philbox

Jan 12, 2011, 7:03 AM
Post #27 of 72 (1916 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boymeetsrock] Queensland floods. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We are all good, House is OK, all my industrial property is fine too. Down in Tasmania at the moment guiding a climbing trip. Sitting in the backpackers watching the floods up in SE Queensland. I wanna go home. Looks like I won't be able to get there though.

blondgecko

Jan 12, 2011, 7:15 AM
Post #28 of 72 (1914 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boymeetsrock] Queensland floods. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's completely surreal just how normal everything is in my neighborhood, considering the chaos that's erupting all over. Just fifteen kilometers to the south, houses half a mile from the riverbank are flooded up to the windowsills, and the water will be going up by another meter overnight. About 10k and 30k to the west and north of me the floodwaters are gradually starting to recede (Caboolture, to the north, coming down from its second major flood peak in as many weeks). The Queensland premier has taken the unprecedented step of drawing a line about a third of the way up the state, and declaring everything below that line a national disaster area - an area equivalent to that of Texas. It's not raining here any more, but it's still bucketing down pretty much everywhere else - northern and western Queensland, northern New South Wales (where a substantial disaster area has also been declared, and 3,000 people evacuated), western Victoria, and even Tasmania. So we have emergencies spread over an area at least 3,000 km north-south by 1,500 km east-west.

... and next door, they're mowing their lawn. Most surprisingly, the lounge suite we bought before Christmas was delivered. What else is there to do? We've been asked to stay away from the city unless absolutely necessary. The university's closed until Monday at least. Me, I spent much of the day substantially expanding the vegetable garden. Considering that a very substantial fraction of Australia's farmland is currently underwater and the record La Nina that's driving all this is still going strong, it seemed only prudent.

... then to add to the disjointed feel, the news keeps cutting to the bushfire situation in south-west Western Australia, where there's been a 35 degree Celsius plus heat wave and bone dry conditions for the past few weeks.

climbingtrash

Jan 12, 2011, 12:47 PM
Post #29 of 72 (1902 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philbox] Queensland floods. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Holy shit you guys! And I thought the flooding we had just before Christmas was bad. Good to hear you guys are high and dry.

Arrogant_Bastard

Jan 12, 2011, 4:39 PM
Post #30 of 72 (1894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

philbox wrote:
We are all good, House is OK, all my industrial property is fine too. Down in Tasmania at the moment guiding a climbing trip. Sitting in the backpackers watching the floods up in SE Queensland. I wanna go home. Looks like I won't be able to get there though.

That sucks to be stuck far away, watching a disaster in your home lands and not able to go. Good luck, Donnybox.

bill413

Jan 12, 2011, 5:14 PM
Post #31 of 72 (1889 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] Queensland floods. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Phil, good news you're ok. And, sounds like you're prepared to stay out a while.
BG - it does sound surreal.

And, while I'm glad for the folks I know to be OK, I'm also sorry for all the others. It's hard for me to conceive of the extent of it.

Kevthecoffeeguy

Jan 12, 2011, 5:28 PM
Post #32 of 72 (1884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
It's completely surreal just how normal everything is in my neighborhood, considering the chaos that's erupting all over. Just fifteen kilometers to the south, houses half a mile from the riverbank are flooded up to the windowsills, and the water will be going up by another meter overnight. About 10k and 30k to the west and north of me the floodwaters are gradually starting to recede (Caboolture, to the north, coming down from its second major flood peak in as many weeks). The Queensland premier has taken the unprecedented step of drawing a line about a third of the way up the state, and declaring everything below that line a national disaster area - an area equivalent to that of Texas. It's not raining here any more, but it's still bucketing down pretty much everywhere else - northern and western Queensland, northern New South Wales (where a substantial disaster area has also been declared, and 3,000 people evacuated), western Victoria, and even Tasmania. So we have emergencies spread over an area at least 3,000 km north-south by 1,500 km east-west.

... and next door, they're mowing their lawn. Most surprisingly, the lounge suite we bought before Christmas was delivered. What else is there to do? We've been asked to stay away from the city unless absolutely necessary. The university's closed until Monday at least. Me, I spent much of the day substantially expanding the vegetable garden. Considering that a very substantial fraction of Australia's farmland is currently underwater and the record La Nina that's driving all this is still going strong, it seemed only prudent.

... then to add to the disjointed feel, the news keeps cutting to the bushfire situation in south-west Western Australia, where there's been a 35 degree Celsius plus heat wave and bone dry conditions for the past few weeks.
I feel for all of you! Its a tough situation. when calamities are on a small scale its not so bad everyone can still find shelter and food. but on a large scale. wow...
Plant your garden and look for how you can help others ..what else can a person do?

lagr01

Jan 13, 2011, 2:04 AM
Post #33 of 72 (1862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Holy fuck! Just checked the new this morning and saw Brisbane's CBD flooded and a video of a freaking 300 meter long riverwalk floating down by the river.

Hope you guys and your families are still Ok.

So bizarre that I'm at the same country and my main dilemma is getting out of work early enough to go kiteboarding this arvo.

(This post was edited by lagr01 on Jan 13, 2011, 2:04 AM)

lagr01

Jan 13, 2011, 2:22 AM
Post #34 of 72 (1851 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:

Yeah, and even if there aren't any huge bush fires, water scarcity is still serious shit. We've been through one of the driest winters ever which has made dairy farmers cull part of their heards because there's not enough water. The water corporation is completely frantic, publishing newspaper adds explaining climate change, the decreasing trend in rainfall since the 70s and pretty much begging people to save water.

Meanwhile, in Perth's suburbia land people worry because their grass and their rose gardens won't look as pretty because of the sprinkler ban.

We had two very rainy days last week here in Perth though.

Kartessa

Jan 13, 2011, 2:29 AM
Post #35 of 72 (1845 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lagr01] Queensland floods. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just a silly thought...

Governments and corporations spend millions and millions on oil pipelines, would be awesome if you could just channel some of the water out your way.

blondgecko

Jan 13, 2011, 3:13 AM
Post #36 of 72 (1837 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Queensland floods. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Just a silly thought...

Governments and corporations spend millions and millions on oil pipelines, would be awesome if you could just channel some of the water out your way.

We've actually just done something like that (on a smaller scale, but still costing billions) here in south-east Queensland, due to the long-running drought that has just broken with a vengeance. All twelve of the dams in the area are now linked up into one big network which can shunt water back and forth as needs arise. In a rather blackly humorous turn of events, the just-completed desalination plant on the Gold Coast (also built as a drought-proofing measure) is now Brisbane's main supply of clean drinking water since the floods have knocked out our water treatment plants for the time being.

The map below gives a pretty good idea of the situation. It shows the total aggregate rainfall for 2010 - before all the rain that's flooded south-east Queensland. Dark blue areas recorded the highest annual rainfall on record - not just above average, but the highest. Dark red, on the lower left (the area surrounding Perth, the capital of Western Australia) recorded the lowest annual rainfall on record.

What isn't entirely clear from this map is that the majority of the rain leading to these records has all fallen in the last few months.

kachoong

Jan 13, 2011, 2:52 PM
Post #37 of 72 (1821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Just a silly thought...

We've actually just done something like that (on a smaller scale, but still costing billions) here in south-east Queensland, due to the long-running drought that has just broken with a vengeance. All twelve of the dams in the area are now linked up into one big network which can shunt water back and forth as needs arise. In a rather blackly humorous turn of events, the just-completed desalination plant on the Gold Coast (also built as a drought-proofing measure) is now Brisbane's main supply of clean drinking water since the floods have knocked out our water treatment plants for the time being.

The map below gives a pretty good idea of the situation. It shows the total aggregate rainfall for 2010 - before all the rain that's flooded south-east Queensland. Dark blue areas recorded the highest annual rainfall on record - not just above average, but the highest. Dark red, on the lower left (the area surrounding Perth, the capital of Western Australia) recorded the lowest annual rainfall on record.

What isn't entirely clear from this map is that the majority of the rain leading to these records has all fallen in the last few months.

That's a crazy map, BG. Something I don't think I've seen in a very long time. It's not a typical rainfall chart for Australia that's for sure. Much of the country, if you look at the last 20 years should most likely be shades of red. It's so insane to even think about.

blondgecko

Jan 13, 2011, 11:33 PM
Post #38 of 72 (1805 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Queensland floods. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Just a silly thought...

That's a crazy map, BG. Something I don't think I've seen in a very long time. It's not a typical rainfall chart for Australia that's for sure. Much of the country, if you look at the last 20 years should most likely be shades of red. It's so insane to even think about.

Just to make sure I'm not misleading anyone, the colour at any point on the map above denotes the amount of rainfall relative to historical records at that point. The map of absolute rainfall for the same period looks like this:

which is still highly unusual.

Partner philbox

Jan 14, 2011, 6:05 AM
Post #39 of 72 (1782 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We flew over Central Oz about 3 months ago and instead of seeing red sand dunes all lined up in rows all we saw was lakes. Apparently now inland Oz is a green oasis where species of plant life is exhibiting that has not been seen for a hundred years. Same for some species of animals.

lagr01

Jan 14, 2011, 10:38 AM
Post #40 of 72 (1769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This photo was taken near Uluru 2 weeks ago:

erisspirit

Jan 14, 2011, 6:13 PM
Post #41 of 72 (1754 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lagr01 wrote:

I'll be sure to bring my slower friends if I ever head that way

Partner philbox

Jan 15, 2011, 7:14 AM
Post #42 of 72 (1740 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lagr01 wrote:

[image]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/07/03/article-1197242-05952C43000005DC-284_634x404_popup.jpg[/image]

SlyLaughLaughLaugh

lagr01

Jan 18, 2011, 2:52 AM
Post #43 of 72 (1718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Brisbane before and after the flood. Amazing aerial images.

http://www.abc.net.au/...oods/beforeafter.htm

By the way, are there usually crocs in the Brisbane river?

Partner epoch

Jan 18, 2011, 3:21 AM
Post #44 of 72 (1711 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lagr01 wrote:

By the way, are there usually crocs Bull Sharks in the Brisbane river?

fixed!

(This post was edited by epoch on Jan 18, 2011, 3:22 AM)

Kartessa

Jan 18, 2011, 3:26 AM
Post #45 of 72 (1704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lagr01 wrote:

By the way, are there usually crocs in the Brisbane river?
Pretty cool to look the pics... though some swimming pools still looked to inviting.

lagr01

Jan 18, 2011, 3:32 AM
Post #46 of 72 (1694 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Queensland floods. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
lagr01 wrote:

fixed!

I find the idea of 4 meter saltwater crocs swimming around the streets scarier than bull sharks.

blondgecko

Jan 18, 2011, 3:43 AM
Post #47 of 72 (1689 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Queensland floods. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
lagr01 wrote:

fixed!

Oh yes - the Brisbane River is bull shark central - even if the water was clean, you would not want to swim in it.

blondgecko

Jan 29, 2011, 5:42 AM
Post #48 of 72 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, the estimated damage bill for the floods stands at a few billion dollars. Many people have yet to finish cleaning up, and now it looks like we're right back in the firing line again:

Category 1 cyclone (hurricane to you Yanks) hitting Perth (far southwest) tomorrow - at least that should put paid to the bushfire conditions for a while. Another Cat 1 cyclone hitting the central Queensland coast on Monday, and expected to push rain conditions far inland. Then, the tropical low that's currently sitting out near Fiji is expected to follow more or less the same path, and come in as a category 3 just 3-4 days later.

Yeah, next week's going to be pretty... interesting.
Attachments: IDG00074.jpg (63.1 KB)

traddad

Jan 31, 2011, 7:34 PM
Post #49 of 72 (1588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you ready?
http://www.eurekalert.org/...1/nsfc-nsl013111.php

blondgecko

Jan 31, 2011, 9:48 PM
Post #50 of 72 (1578 views)
Shortcut

Re: [traddad] Queensland floods. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not much to prepare for here in Brisbane - it's tracking too far north to cause any wind damage here. The rain it brings might be problematic... But it's north Queensland that's bearing the brunt this time.

It's one whopper of a storm, though - authorities are speculating that it may be Queensland's biggest cyclone in history (in extent, if not in intensity). It's also expected to punch a long way inland before decaying. The annoying thing is that it's heading straight for the portion of Queensland's farmland that wasn't wiped out by the floods just past.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook