Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

ceebo

Jan 11, 2011, 4:55 PM
Post #26 of 54 (2800 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Where do I stand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
I may very well be a "negative shit" but like you said, you just "don't know" if the OP has a chance or not. If you don't like my tone then say it, but don't argue with me about something you know nothing about.

You have shared 5 storys out of thousands. I hope your smart enough to see where i am going with that.

Yes i agree that this point in time its probably unlikely he would get a major sponsership.. giving that theirs many climbers doing so much harder routes. But its so fucking wrong of you to say he will never get it in the future.

Look at dan osman, he wasnt even all that good.. but imagine somebody like him alive today doing that same shit?.. sponsers would be all over him.

(This post was edited by ceebo on Jan 11, 2011, 5:00 PM)

theapollo

Jan 12, 2011, 5:13 AM
Post #27 of 54 (2785 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] Where do I stand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess the Dan Osman comparison applies, but unlike Osman I don't free solo ridiculous routes. The hardest route I've ever soloed was a .10d 80 footer. Not exactly noteworthy, but then again I'm still alive. Just not willing to push those limits yet.

Professional climbing was a goal of mine when I first started, but from some replies I may have to lower that standard. Gym climbing still isn't really an option for me, because as of a couple days ago I decided to start climbing the States. Funds are pretty limited, so right now I'm kinda thinking somewhere southwest for starters. If anyone knows any good spots with some good .14s in the New Mexico/Arizona Area, please tell me where they are as I'm unfamiliar with the area. I'd like to start pushing my grade with a .14b while i'm there.

As for the website idea, I'm considering it. I've never written blogs before, nor have I written trip reports, but it sounds like a good idea. Whoever gave the advice about selling photos, I don't think I'll do that. I'll take pictures and post them where people can see them, but I don't really believe in selling something like that. They should either be for the use of the people who took the pictures or shared for all who love climbing to see.

I'm not trying to demean anyone who gym climbs, but i feel like i get the same amount of training but doing laps on rope solo. Climbing outside is a beautiful thing. And besides, no cash for the membership.

There's really only one reason I would like to be sponsored. It's not because I want to be in the limelight, because I don't. I kind of like to stay out of people's way (when I was a kid it was for the limelight, but not now). I'm not the most competitive person in the world, I climb purely for the love of it. The only reason I want a sponsorship now is so I can go all over the States and the world and climb on beautiful mountains and not have to worry about finances. A 2000 dollars plane ticket and food and lodging adds up for the trip to Spain I've always wanted to take.

Thanks again for the replies. If anyone is in the area i described earlier and would be willing to give myself and my partner any sort of help, I would be very appreciative (lodging really, we made sure we at least had gas money and food money. Camping was our backup option)

Edit: I would love to take a trip to try the Bachar-Yerian sometime in the next year or two. Would that be a good climb to get noticed? I'm unsure of how often it's climbed

(This post was edited by theapollo on Jan 12, 2011, 5:27 AM)

theapollo

Jan 12, 2011, 5:15 AM
Post #28 of 54 (2785 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
I'll humor you with a response, even though you are probably just a troll.

You say you've been climbing for 10 years. If you don't already have a sponsorship then you have no chance.

By the way, what's a troll? It's in like every other thread on this site, yet I'm still confused as to what you all are actually referring to

rtwilli4

Jan 12, 2011, 5:52 AM
Post #29 of 54 (2776 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] Where do I stand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I give up.

theapollo

Jan 12, 2011, 5:56 AM
Post #30 of 54 (2775 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I understood what you meant. It's constructive criticism. It's appreciated

rtwilli4

Jan 12, 2011, 6:02 AM
Post #31 of 54 (2770 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theapollo] Where do I stand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't give up on you Apollo. Once you get out on the road you'll figure it out. Sponsorship is not the only way to climb full time. If you ever want to head to The New and climb shoot me an email. I won't be there but I'll point you in the right direction for work that will let you climb every day and a good place to stay. You'll be around at least a few climbers that can hang with you.

But ceebo... Dan Osman? Really?

(This post was edited by rtwilli4 on Jan 12, 2011, 6:06 AM)

guangzhou

Jan 12, 2011, 7:18 AM
Post #32 of 54 (2753 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueshrimp] Where do I stand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueshrimp wrote:
OP, here's an idea. Now, before you read it please keep in mind that I'm a mediocre climber, nowhere near like you much less like the pro climbers. But if your goal is to make money off climbing, as opposed to representing a company (i.e. be their image monkey), here's what I would do in your shoes.

1. You obviously climb harder and have more outdoors experience than the vast majority of climbers. Sure, you're not a pro or climb insanely hard, but that's what keeps you closer and more connected to the vast majority of climbers.

2. So, use that to your advantage. There are a lot of climbers in the world out there like me who might like to read about your stories, or learn something from you.

3. So why not start some sort of climbing blog? Sure, the success of your blog will depend a lot on your writing abilities, but you did, after all, go to college, and that gives you an advantage over all the other pro climbers who didn't and can't write worth peanuts.

4. If you make your blog unique, entertaining, with cool advice or if you offer some information or experience of value to the climbing niche, you might just be able to:
a). Get known by companies (thus be on the way to the sponsorship you desire)
b) Put advertisements on your blog and get paid per clicks
c) Offer advice to other climbers and perhaps even charge for the experience (i.e. memeber-based blog or members only features).
d) Sell cool pictures you take when climbing
e) Guest blog for other magazines and get paid for your articles.
f) Solicit donations from fans
e) Start a reviews section for climbing areas (a lot of climbers would love an organized approach to this from someone with insider knowledge)
g) etc.

There are many ways to make money off one's passtime. You're good enough not to be mediocre, but not so fanatic about climbing so as to be unreachable. Use that to your advantage. Average people like me get more inspired by people like you than by the superhuman, untouchable, "I only climb and do nothing else" professionals like Chris Sharma.

Good luck!

Some excellent advice here. While climbing in Thailand, I ran into several people who read my blog and I'm not a great writer or climber.

guangzhou

Jan 12, 2011, 7:33 AM
Post #33 of 54 (2746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

theapollo wrote:

Professional climbing was a goal of mine when I first started, but from some replies I may have to lower that standard. Gym climbing still isn't really an option for me, because as of a couple days ago I decided to start climbing the States. Funds are pretty limited, so right now I'm kinda thinking somewhere southwest for starters. If anyone knows any good spots with some good .14s in the New Mexico/Arizona Area, please tell me where they are as I'm unfamiliar with the area. I'd like to start pushing my grade with a .14b while i'm there.

Good to here someone wants to push themselves. Keep in mind, professional climbing doesn't have to mean sponsored by climbing companies. I think to many climbers focus on climbing companies and not enough on t=other companies that could be used to provide financing. (Companies that hear from a lot less climbers and are more impressible than climbing companies)

In reply to:
As for the website idea, I'm considering it. I've never written blogs before, nor have I written trip reports, but it sounds like a good idea. Whoever gave the advice about selling photos, I don't think I'll do that. I'll take pictures and post them where people can see them, but I don't really believe in selling something like that. They should either be for the use of the people who took the pictures or shared for all who love climbing to see.

A blog is a good way to go for sure. Takes time and effort for sure.

On the photo front, people can look at photos for free, but if a company or magazine wants to use my images, I charge them for the use.

In reply to:
I'm not trying to demean anyone who gym climbs, but i feel like i get the same amount of training but doing laps on rope solo. Climbing outside is a beautiful thing. And besides, no cash for the membership.

Gyms have there place, but if you decide to hit the road and climb full-time, you're correct, you can run laps outdoors. Gym are for those of us who don't climb full-time.

In reply to:
There's really only one reason I would like to be sponsored. It's not because I want to be in the limelight, because I don't. I kind of like to stay out of people's way (when I was a kid it was for the limelight, but not now). I'm not the most competitive person in the world, I climb purely for the love of it. The only reason I want a sponsorship now is so I can go all over the States and the world and climb on beautiful mountains and not have to worry about finances. A 2000 dollars plane ticket and food and lodging adds up for the trip to Spain I've always wanted to take.

2000 Dollars for a ticket to Spain seems expensive to me. You need to rethink where you buy tickets for sure. Learning where to buy is crucial to serving on the road. Lodging, a tent and sleeping bag, that how even the pros do it.

Climbing for the love of it is great, but to get sponsored, you have to give something back. Being sponsored is a job really. Your job is to get noticed and get the companies you represent noticed.

In reply to:
Thanks again for the replies. If anyone is in the area i described earlier and would be willing to give myself and my partner any sort of help, I would be very appreciative (lodging really, we made sure we at least had gas money and food money. Camping was our backup option)

Camping shouldn't be the back-up, it should be the plan. I lived in my tent for almost 18 months to stretch funds and climb more. Depending on your vehicle, you may be able to live in that instead.

In reply to:
Edit: I would love to take a trip to try the Bachar-Yerian sometime in the next year or two. Would that be a good climb to get noticed? I'm unsure of how often it's climbed

Toast_in_the_Machine

Jan 12, 2011, 12:08 PM
Post #34 of 54 (2716 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Where do I stand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:

I disagree. But hey, on the interwebs you can find someone who will disagree with F=ma.

This advice is at its heart is "get a job". This isn't sponsorship, this is "get a job in a business related to climbing". The blog can help with publicity, but, on its own isn't a ticket to getting paid only to climb. A good blog is good writing. Good writing involves working. Working at another job isn't sponsorship.

Far easier jobs can be had, like I could say "get a job at a gym". It gets you access to a gym for training and pays the bills. Rather than look for help from the fairy sponsor godmother, it is better to find a job that pays enough to train. Or commit to a lifestyle that requires minimal income. Or both.

sungam

Jan 12, 2011, 12:24 PM
Post #35 of 54 (2710 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Where do I stand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
guangzhou wrote:

I disagree. But hey, on the interwebs you can find someone who will disagree with F=ma.
I disagree with f=ma. Would you like some evidence?

dynosore

Jan 12, 2011, 4:03 PM
Post #36 of 54 (2683 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have two questions, and if you answer them both I'll tell you the secret to getting a sponsorship.

1) What .14a routes have you climbed?
2) You're college educated, why don't you work a year and save up some cash? It's nice to dream of winning the lotto or getting sponsored, but the best way to get money for 99.99% of us is to WORK. Stop dreaming of freebies and get working.

styndall

Jan 12, 2011, 4:14 PM
Post #37 of 54 (2674 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

theapollo wrote:

If that's what you want, then there are easier ways than sponsorship. A lot of folks work 3-5 months of the year, then live out of a truck, traveling and climbing the rest of the year. I did a little of that when I finished college, starting by working a concessions job in Yosemite.

If you want to travel fancy and stay in nice hotels, though, even sponsorship won't keep you happy.

(This post was edited by styndall on Jan 12, 2011, 4:15 PM)

theapollo

Jan 12, 2011, 7:23 PM
Post #38 of 54 (2653 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Where do I stand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
I have two questions, and if you answer them both I'll tell you the secret to getting a sponsorship.

2) You're college educated, why don't you work a year and save up some cash? It's nice to dream of winning the lotto or getting sponsored, but the best way to get money for 99.99% of us is to WORK. Stop dreaming of freebies and get working.

It's pretty obvious from your attitude you won't believe what i say, but I'll respond anyway in the off chance you do.

My most recent .14a redpoint was about a two months ago at New River Gorge. Took a family trip, got to climb some amazing stuff. Anyway, the route is called Proper Soul. I actually got to try one of the newest routes there call Trebuchet, but had to bail about 3/4s of the way up. It was pretty disappointing. I'd like to go back sometime to try and get the redpoint

For anyone who cares, my favorite route out of all of them was a .13b/c at the Obed/Clear Creek area called Rasputin D. Scalliwag. Beautiful terrain with an amazing roof

I would work, but finding work isn't easy. And a sponsorship is a job, it's not a freebie. That's like saying pro basketball or football or baseball etc. players don't have jobs.

(This post was edited by theapollo on Jan 12, 2011, 7:24 PM)

theapollo

Jan 12, 2011, 7:28 PM
Post #39 of 54 (2647 views)
Shortcut

Re: [styndall] Where do I stand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

styndall wrote:
If you want to travel fancy and stay in nice hotels, though, even sponsorship won't keep you happy.

True, but a holiday inn every once in a while wouldn't hurt Unsure

dynosore

Jan 12, 2011, 7:32 PM
Post #40 of 54 (2644 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

theapollo wrote:
dynosore wrote:

It's pretty obvious from your attitude you won't believe what i say, but I'll respond anyway in the off chance you do.

My most recent .14a redpoint was about a two months ago at New River Gorge. Took a family trip, got to climb some amazing stuff. Anyway, the route is called Proper Soul. I actually got to try one of the newest routes there call Trebuchet, but had to bail about 3/4s of the way up. It was pretty disappointing. I'd like to go back sometime to try and get the redpoint

For anyone who cares, my favorite route out of all of them was a .13b/c at the Obed/Clear Creek area called Rasputin D. Scalliwag. Beautiful terrain with an amazing roof

I would work, but finding work isn't easy. And a sponsorship is a job, it's not a freebie. That's like saying pro basketball or football or baseball etc. players don't have jobs.

I'll take your word for it that you did those climbs. Here's a thought though..which is going to be easier....finding a job, or getting a sponsorship. Find a job, and keep training and pursue the sponsorship route if you want. If you can apply the determination to a job search that you obviously have to your climbing, I'm sure you'll do fine. Sorry to be the harsh realist but that's how it is.

suprasoup

Jan 12, 2011, 9:16 PM
Post #41 of 54 (2616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I would love to take a trip to try the Bachar-Yerian sometime in the next year or two. Would that be a good climb to get noticed? I'm unsure of how often it's climbed

Only if you free solo it. Back when I used to climb out there the Bachar-Yerian saw regular traffic so I can't imagine that that has changed much.

Supra

If your in NM hook up with Fairfield, he'll show you where all the excessively hard lines are. Just be prepared to get humbled.

rtwilli4

Jan 12, 2011, 10:48 PM
Post #42 of 54 (2599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

theapollo wrote:
dynosore wrote:

Just to give you an idea of what it's like out there:

One of the 5 guys I was talking about in my earlier posts... the 5 guys who are all un-sponsored... one of them did Proper Soul on gear... no bolts. You've been on that climb so you know what that would take. He does demos to get free gear, guides, works at a restaurant and lives in his truck.

guangzhou

Jan 13, 2011, 12:39 AM
Post #43 of 54 (2578 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
theapollo wrote:
dynosore wrote:

Just to give you an idea of what it's like out there:

One of the 5 guys I was talking about in my earlier posts... the 5 guys who are all un-sponsored... one of them did Proper Soul on gear... no bolts. You've been on that climb so you know what that would take. He does demos to get free gear, guides, works at a restaurant and lives in his truck.

Names would be great.

guangzhou

Jan 13, 2011, 12:44 AM
Post #44 of 54 (2576 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Where do I stand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
guangzhou wrote:

Good to have people who disagree, keeps the world turning.

In reply to:
This advice is at its heart is "get a job". This isn't sponsorship, this is "get a job in a business related to climbing". The blog can help with publicity, but, on its own isn't a ticket to getting paid only to climb. A good blog is good writing. Good writing involves working. Working at another job isn't sponsorship.

I agree, if you want to make money, have cash to save, invest, and buy stuff, get a job. Find out that has a good combination of time and pay and enjoy your climbing when you're not working.

Me, I'm a school teacher, getting ready to go back into business and out of teaching. I tried the full-time climbing thing, it wasn't for me.

In reply to:
Far easier jobs can be had, like I could say "get a job at a gym". It gets you access to a gym for training and pays the bills. Rather than look for help from the fairy sponsor godmother, it is better to find a job that pays enough to train. Or commit to a lifestyle that requires minimal income. Or both.

I agree with this 100%. Plenty of jobs out there.

theapollo

Jan 13, 2011, 4:41 AM
Post #45 of 54 (2556 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Where do I stand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I do sort of have an off and on job. I was a Microbiology major, and every once in a while I'll get together with some graduate students and apply for grants to work in the labs. My last "work date" was October doing embryonic research. But biology grants are hard to come by without a Masters degree at least.

I would love to try Proper Soul again on gear. rtwilli, that's an incredible send your friend had.

I'm trying to decide where to go after New Mexico. I'll be here the next two or three days, gonna drive up to Sante Fe to visit some family, then going to head to the next destination. Maybe go bouldering at Hueco. There's a couple V11s I'd like to project.

guangzhou

Jan 13, 2011, 6:27 AM
Post #46 of 54 (2532 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On and off job that require grants are most likely easier than finding sponsors.

enigma

Jan 13, 2011, 7:08 AM
Post #47 of 54 (2520 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

theapollo wrote:
I do sort of have an off and on job. I was a Microbiology major, and every once in a while I'll get together with some graduate students and apply for grants to work in the labs. My last "work date" was October doing embryonic research. But biology grants are hard to come by without a Masters degree at least.

I would love to try Proper Soul again on gear. rtwilli, that's an incredible send your friend had.

I'm trying to decide where to go after New Mexico. I'll be here the next two or three days, gonna drive up to Sante Fe to visit some family, then going to head to the next destination. Maybe go bouldering at Hueco. There's a couple V11s I'd like to project.

Apply to Graduate School, If you do well on GMAT, there are many programs where you can still have time to climb, Find one near a climbing destination.
( Then you can still climb and try the other suggestions in the thread, for sponsorship.)

blueshrimp

Jan 13, 2011, 11:16 AM
Post #48 of 54 (2489 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, you're a Microbiology major, and you CANT FIND A JOB???

You're looking in the wrong places.

Do this:

1. Apply for a job as a LAB TECHNICIAN in Switzerland.

2. Yes, you heard me. Lab technician. Not a profession, a trade. You want to make money, right? With a BS in Microbiology a Lab technician job is a piece of cake.

3. Work in Switzerland for a year, make about 90k a year. (Apply to a company like Novartis, Roche. Don't apply for a job at a university, where they pay less).

4. Get fired. Go on unemployment for 14 months, at 70% pay, thanks to the generous Swiss unemployment benefits.

5. Use that year to climb around the Alps. Try the Eiger, for instance.

6. ??

7. Profit! Tongue

No really. 2 years working in Switzerland will probably allow you to save enough for you to take at least one year off work to do whatever you want. Then you can alternate: 1 year work, 1 year fun and play, 1 year work, 1 year fun and play, ad infinitum.

But yes, like Adam Smith said: "Wealth is created through labor".

Good luck!

enigma

Jan 13, 2011, 11:32 AM
Post #49 of 54 (2485 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueshrimp] Where do I stand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueshrimp wrote:
Dude, you're a Microbiology major, and you CANT FIND A JOB???

You're looking in the wrong places.

Do this:

1. Apply for a job as a LAB TECHNICIAN in Switzerland.

2. Yes, you heard me. Lab technician. Not a profession, a trade. You want to make money, right? With a BS in Microbiology a Lab technician job is a piece of cake.

3. Work in Switzerland for a year, make about 90k a year. (Apply to a company like Novartis, Roche. Don't apply for a job at a university, where they pay less).

4. Get fired. Go on unemployment for 14 months, at 70% pay, thanks to the generous Swiss unemployment benefits.

5. Use that year to climb around the Alps. Try the Eiger, for instance.

6. ??

7. Profit! Tongue

No really. 2 years working in Switzerland will probably allow you to save enough for you to take at least one year off work to do whatever you want. Then you can alternate: 1 year work, 1 year fun and play, 1 year work, 1 year fun and play, ad infinitum.

But yes, like Adam Smith said: "Wealth is created through labor".

Good luck!

Switzerland sounds great !! Plus you can make all that money and theres no records in Swiss Banks to the U.S. Goverment. Don't you have to speak french and german as well?
= Is it really so easy to get work there?
Congrats on your wedding- Smile

Partner j_ung

Jan 13, 2011, 1:11 PM
Post #50 of 54 (2473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

theapollo wrote:
Hello all. I pretty much joined the site to ask this one question.

I realize that this topic has been gone over and over in the forums, but try as I may with the search function I can't get a straight answer, just a bunch of people bashing other people. I feel like I'm treading on thin ice just asking this question. But here it goes.

I was curious about the process of obtaining a sponsorship from any sort of reputable company or shop that deals with climbing. I'm 23 years old, just out of college, with about 10 years of climbing behind me. I'm not much for indoor climbing, as it was my dad that taught me and he's one of those old school-no gym climbing climbers. We'd take trips just about every day to our local crag (which, when I was a kid, was a not-so-well known place called Black Mountain in Crab Orchard, Tennessee). Anyway, my question was how does one go about obtaining a sponsorship? Just to give you an idea of my skill level, I have onsighted a few 5.13d's and red pointed 5.14a's. I love bouldering more than sport though because my endurance is a little spotty. I boulder V9 pretty consistently, and am projecting some V10s.

I know a lot of people gym climb, but since I have only gym climbed a few times (and that was back when I was in high school) I don't really know the grade comparisons. I don't go to bouldering competitions because I don't have a lot of money for the entry fees, I'm struggling to make ends meet as it is. I'm just not very familiar with the gym scene.

I would just like someone to walk me through the process of getting sponsored, and what exactly a sponsorship actually entails.

Any help is appreciated

There's nothing inherently wrong with those numbers, but how geographically diverse is your experience? Those numbers won't mean a thing if they're all from your local gym, but if you've spent the last year or two traveling the country sending well-known hard routes, then it's a different story.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook