RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

crimpjunkie

Jan 25, 2011, 2:43 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2706 views)
Shortcut

Static Rope for Anchors: Recommendations Wanted
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay, I currently have a 60’ static rope that I love for building top rope anchors. It was an impulse buy I made when climbing in Acadia and, unfortunately, I made no note of what it was. It’s off a spool so there are also no markings to help me out, nor do I remember which shop I bought it in.

The one drawback of this rope, however, is that it’s too short for a great deal of the top rope setups at my local crags. Friends of mine have far longer ropes that I’ve used but, aside from their length, were inferior to the static rope that I currently have. They were generally thick and/or super stiff. This made it hard to tie knots and coil them tightly to fit into my cragging pack.

That said, I was hoping I could get some input on what I should buy. I am looking for something around 200’ (60M) in length. I’d like it to be relatively thin, and very flexible. Suggestions?

brokesomeribs

Jan 25, 2011, 3:58 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2676 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crimpjunkie] Static Rope for Anchors: Recommendations Wanted [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

All you're looking for is utility anchor material. Buy whatever is cheapest. Or better, buy 1" tubular webbing. It's even cheaper.

BTW - Where are you climbing where you need a full ropelength to anchor?

crimpjunkie

Jan 25, 2011, 4:04 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2669 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brokesomeribs] Static Rope for Anchors: Recommendations Wanted [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brokesomeribs wrote:
All you're looking for is utility anchor material. Buy whatever is cheapest. Or better, buy 1" tubular webbing. It's even cheaper.

BTW - Where are you climbing where you need a full ropelength to anchor?

In my experience it doesn't work like that. I've used a great deal of static ropes that are akin to aircraft cable - stiff, extremely hard to tie, and even harder to coil tightly. That being the case, I don't want to indiscriminately buy the cheapest rope I can find, hence my post. Also, I've used webbing plenty of times before and still prefer a static rope for this application.

As to your other question, I do most of my weekday climbing in CT where fixed anchors are not allowed and where viable natural anchors are very far from the cliff's edge.

Partner j_ung

Jan 25, 2011, 4:13 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Here you go: http://www.sterlingrope.com/products/155013. Try 9mm or 3/8 more the best hand.

aprice00

Jan 25, 2011, 4:14 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just use that yellow nylon stuff from the dollar store. If you tie an overhand on a bite then you can just feed your top rope right through the hole.

crimpjunkie

Jan 25, 2011, 4:16 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2653 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Static Rope for Anchors: Recommendations Wanted [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Here you go: http://www.sterlingrope.com/products/155013. Try 9mm or 3/8 more the best hand.

Thanks j_ung. That's actually at the top of my list right now. Good to hear someone else recommends it.

tower_climber

Jan 25, 2011, 7:55 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I find PMI Classic EZ-Bend Sport to be a fantastic static rope. Flexible, easy to tie and fairly soft as far as statics go.

However, I wouldn't want it for an anchor rope. My PMI ropes get used for TR setups on challenge courses and bomber anchors at easy crags. I feel like it is not resilient enough for anchor duty. I have 90' of New England Ropes KMII static rope for building anchor systems. This rope is tough, but you sacrifice flexibility. I still find that it ties well, but it is definitely not as easy to handle as the PMI.

DrNubbins

Jan 27, 2011, 12:57 AM
Post #8 of 8 (2536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Thanks j_ung. That's actually at the top of my list right now. Good to hear someone else recommends it.

I second that.. my friend uses that exact rope, its definitely mega-flexible. I have their HTP static, not quite as flexible but feels way beefy-er.

Also, I've found ~40m to be plenty sufficient for setting up TRs all over CT, there's been only 1-2 times at Ragged and once at Cathole where that wasn't long enough to hit two decent trees (problem solved by making one leg out of gear)

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook