RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

pinscar

Nov 15, 2001, 7:15 PM
Post #1 of 5 (3030 views)
Shortcut

asdf
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

import_temporary

krillen

Nov 15, 2001, 7:32 PM
Post #2 of 5 (3030 views)
Shortcut

asdf [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

from what I've seen I have to agree with Pinscar. (I am FAR from a pro, more like a beginer) But from what I have seen , if you can get that close AND get the climber stressing out, then you can get some really good detail/emotional content form their faces.

andy_lemon

Nov 15, 2001, 9:45 PM
Post #3 of 5 (3030 views)
Shortcut

asdf [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Alot of covers of climbing mags are done with wide angle lenses. Were the fingers/hand is the focal point. You can get really good pictures, like pinscar said, because a close up shot of the hand will show the whole climber.

The con here is... is that everything in the background is blurred. A wide angle lense has a shallow depth of field. If your in Seneca... you want the background in the picture. That always sucks

beta

Nov 16, 2001, 2:27 AM
Post #4 of 5 (3030 views)
Shortcut

asdf [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes I agree, get in close. The down side to wide angle lenses and is well known to prortrait photographers, is if you get in too close, for instance, someones face, you get a distorted image, ie: their nose is too big etc....

Wide angle is very cool to get the scope of the scene but can be detrimental to accurate detail in the shot.

Jeff

saltspringer

Nov 16, 2001, 3:08 AM
Post #5 of 5 (3030 views)
Shortcut

asdf [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

andy_lemon, what kind of lens do you use? Wide angles are ideal for an almost infinite DOF if you focus them properly and use a smaller aperture: don't always focus on the part of the person closest to you, maybe on their shoulder or nose and then your focal plane is more "centred". An extreme telephoto environment is where you lose your DOF: check any lens with a DOF indicator on it and see where the numbers line up. A good wide angle will give you extraordinary DOF if used properly which means balancing shutter speed, aperture & focus. A wide angle is also better for DOF because you can use a slower shutter speed & not worry as much about camera shake (ever hear of the 1/focal length=minimum shutter speed, eg: a 200mm lens should be used with a shutter speed of 1/200 sec or faster making a wide aperture necessary which lessens your DOF!)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook