Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

sungam

Feb 16, 2011, 11:39 AM
Post #76 of 83 (2233 views)
Shortcut

Re: [airscape] Naming climbs in Gyms? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

airscape wrote:
stoneraven wrote:
As a "retired" setter I find myself wondering why some are now naming climbs in gyms..Silliness..or worse...while recently at a gym in VA one climb was named Slave Trade...does anyone else find this offensive?

First time I've seen this thread.

I will name my next route "You are a fuck up."

That is all.
I went through a phase of wanting to name all my routes with an aim to get people's panties in a twist ("Stoya" [don't google it at work] was one of my favourite names. The thought of people talking about it without knowing the source of the name - hah!) . Luckily I did a whole zero new routes in that time and went back to naming things after dinosaurs. e.g. Flakeasaurus Rex and Tyranasaurus Flame (If you every walk a hundred or so yards above the mushroom boulder at big bend you will see this guy).

airscape

Feb 16, 2011, 12:47 PM
Post #77 of 83 (2218 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Naming climbs in Gyms? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
airscape wrote:
stoneraven wrote:
As a "retired" setter I find myself wondering why some are now naming climbs in gyms..Silliness..or worse...while recently at a gym in VA one climb was named Slave Trade...does anyone else find this offensive?

First time I've seen this thread.

I will name my next route "You are a fuck up."

That is all.
I went through a phase of wanting to name all my routes with an aim to get people's panties in a twist ("Stoya" [don't google it at work] was one of my favourite names. The thought of people talking about it without knowing the source of the name - hah!) . Luckily I did a whole zero new routes in that time and went back to naming things after dinosaurs. e.g. Flakeasaurus Rex and Tyranasaurus Flame (If you every walk a hundred or so yards above the mushroom boulder at big bend you will see this guy).

It's a prawn star.

Hmmmm.

She's gotz a signature fleshlight...

Hmmmm

An fleshlight....

hmmmm

Maybe that would have been a better buy than a grigri2...

MasterOfKungFu

Feb 23, 2011, 6:21 AM
Post #78 of 83 (2170 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stoneraven] Naming climbs in Gyms? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The gym I go to only has 1 or 2 routes with names.
The ones that are up now are "Go to town Charlie Brown" and "Kickin' it Old School".
The first one is quite appropriate since it is one of the most difficult climbs in the gym.

But yea, I wouldn't want too many dumb names all around the gym.

tylert222

Mar 5, 2011, 3:04 PM
Post #79 of 83 (2110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thinks its great that they name climbs. Its easy to say have you done the zebra, then say have you tried the route on the back wall under the overhang to the right.

phang_nga

Mar 6, 2011, 2:25 AM
Post #80 of 83 (2097 views)
Shortcut

Re: [karmiclimber] Naming climbs in Gyms? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
Just like when I go to the grocery store and the aisle says "Oriental Food". Seriously? Its ASIAN. From ASIA. Not "the Orient." I dunno...some things, you just don't go there, imo.

The historic meaning of the name Oriental is anywhere to the east of Europe. I don't think it has any negative connotations. True, it would be more accurate if the food came from Southeast Asia, for example, to call it Asian food.

phang_nga

Mar 6, 2011, 2:34 AM
Post #81 of 83 (2096 views)
Shortcut

Re: [airscape] Naming climbs in Gyms? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

airscape wrote:
THis whole thread is a passion of the bullshit.

If nothing else, this thread has shown that your vocabulary is limited.

If you can't think of anything except a curse word, perhaps you could Google a synonym. I don't mind curse words, but I don't see the need to use them in every freaking posting. Sly

blueeyedclimber

Mar 6, 2011, 4:24 PM
Post #82 of 83 (2069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stoneraven wrote:

I consider myself an artist when setting routes. Naming a climb is part of the art. I find it fun.

Josh

itstoearly

Mar 14, 2011, 3:20 PM
Post #83 of 83 (2001 views)
Shortcut

Re: [karmiclimber] Naming climbs in Gyms? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
jbrown2 wrote:
Anal Intruder Number Ten, Daily Dick Dose, Pumped Full of Semen, Red Neck Rail, Gaged and Bound, Hand Job Wall, The Vulgarians, Pulpit Pooper, Slap That Bitch.

Names from across the country. Climbs, groups, places. Climbing has, in its history a will to test bounds. A yearning to push limits. As climbers we push ourselves not only physically but we challenge ourselves to question the world and the moral practices within society. Naming climbs that push individual boundaries is not meant to be purely offensive. It is meant to solicit reactions and induce thought.
Rude, offensive, improper. Each of us sees the world as we believe it is. Perhaps the name of a climb brings up your own personal prejudices and makes us think, learn and move on to a more open way of being.

Yeah, I climbed a route at Smith called "BBQ the Pope"...if you can't tell the difference between a name that attacks a man/position revered by people the WORLD over and a group of people oppressed by a bunch of douchebag users in the south, there is something wrong with you. They were treated as subhuman. Children were sold separately from their mothers and abused.
Don't get me wrong...yes slaves have been around since God knows when. But the slave trade happened in America just a little over a hundred years ago, with segregation and racism plaguing our nation until the 70's and of course, racism still haunting us to this day. Shameful.

Don't forget that African slaves were originally sold to Whites by other Africans. It's not like whites enslaved Africans so much as they bought Africans who were already enslaved.

Not that it excuses anyone involved in the slave trade.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook