and umm pancakes 13 / 21%
63 total votes

aprice00

Mar 3, 2011, 7:16 PM
Post #1 of 65 (12582 views)
Shortcut

Poll: Cinch or Grigri 2. You can only have one
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm needing a belay device but want some input before I buy. I mostly TR but want something that will also carry over to sport (single pitch). If you can have only one what would it be. If you answer is "it depends", ask me and ill fill you in on the pertinent info.

btw: I fought the urge to be a cheap ass and decided not to let price affect my decison.

spikeddem

Mar 3, 2011, 7:26 PM
Post #2 of 65 (12570 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aprice00] Poll: Cinch or Grigri 2. You can only have one [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

For TR with occasional sport climbing, my answer is grigri 1.

You can get the original grigri for $57 right now.

shockabuku

Mar 3, 2011, 7:53 PM
Post #3 of 65 (12534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

Why not an ATC? Cheaper, easier, lighter, arguably safer.

gmggg

Mar 3, 2011, 7:57 PM
Post #4 of 65 (12520 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Poll: Cinch or Grigri 2. You can only have one [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:

He said that price doesn't affect his decision.

Since he's top roping mainly and maybe getting into sport I'll have to go with a "it doesn't matter".

If you've used both go with the one your more comfortable with. If you've used neither go with the one that will get you the most chicks and has the prettiest color.

If you are a reasonably competent individual you can belay successfully and safely with both devices.

vegastradguy

Mar 3, 2011, 7:57 PM
Post #5 of 65 (12518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

given the choice between a GriGri2 and a Cinch...I'd buy the GriGri2.

Fwiw- I was a die hard Cinch fan (I own 3) and used it exclusively for years up until I got my media sample of the grigri2- and i havent touched my cinch since.

the Cinch still feeds marginally faster than the grigri2, but not so much as its worth it. its only other advantage- the weight- is a moot point with the new grigri as well.

you'll want an ATC as well at some point- rappelling is tough to do with a grigri.

shoo

Mar 3, 2011, 8:05 PM
Post #6 of 65 (12497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

aprice00 wrote:
I'm needing a belay device but want some input before I buy. I mostly TR but want something that will also carry over to sport (single pitch). If you can have only one what would it be. If you answer is "it depends", ask me and ill fill you in on the pertinent info.

btw: I fought the urge to be a cheap ass and decided not to let price affect my decison.

If this is your only device, go with a simple tube type with teeth, aka ATC XP, Petzl Verso, or similar. They are more versatile, will help your development as a belayer and a climber, and are way cheaper. I know you said that price is no object, but whatever.

If you have spent the time honing your craft and are a skilled belayer, then this poll is appropriate.

I have been using a cinch off and on for years, but have not yet used the new grigri2. However, I suspect that for sport cragging days, I would prefer the grigri2. The cinch is a great device, but it's pretty damn fiddly and difficult to lower with. Lots of room for error. My suspicion is that with the latest batch of improvements, the grigri2 is better in nearly every way except weight. But I really couldn't care less about weight on sport days, so whatever.

(This post was edited by shoo on Mar 3, 2011, 8:11 PM)

aprice00

Mar 3, 2011, 8:47 PM
Post #7 of 65 (12462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:

Ok I guess I need to add some info.

I have an ATC. I like it and use it but some of my occasional partners.. well lets just say id feel more comfortable being belayed with an autolocker.

One of my usual partners has a Cinch and I borrow it from time to time. The only thing I dont like is the jerky action on belay. Its realy sketchy feeling with a light belayer. So with that said, my understanding is that the Grigri 2 has the same grabby issue with the rope size that ill be using.
Hince the poll.

spikeddem

Mar 3, 2011, 8:56 PM
Post #8 of 65 (12449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

aprice00 wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

I have an ATC. I like it and use it but some of my occasional partners.. well lets just say id feel more comfortable being belayed with an autolocker.

One of my usual partners has a Cinch and I borrow it from time to time. The only thing I dont like is the jerky action on belay. Its realy sketchy feeling with a light belayer. So with that said, my understanding is that the Grigri 2 has the same grabby issue with the rope size that ill be using.
Hince the poll.
You're getting a new device for the wrong reasons.

gmggg

Mar 3, 2011, 8:58 PM
Post #9 of 65 (12447 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aprice00 wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

Hince the poll.

What rope size?

shoo

Mar 3, 2011, 9:03 PM
Post #10 of 65 (12440 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Poll: Cinch or Grigri 2. You can only have one [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
aprice00 wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

Hince the poll.

+1. You don't need a new belay device. You need new belayers, and you'll likely be putting yourself in more danger by introducing a complex new device into the equation with incompetent partners.

vegastradguy

Mar 3, 2011, 9:08 PM
Post #11 of 65 (12432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aprice00 wrote:
Hince the poll.

uh, no. you're probably using the cinch incorrectly- it feeds/lowers smoothly regardless of rope diameter.

same goes for the grigri2.

edit: i should add- calling these devices autolockers is a bad habit to get into, as it lulls the user into a false sense of security. a more appropriate term is locking assist.

(This post was edited by vegastradguy on Mar 3, 2011, 9:11 PM)

silascl

Mar 3, 2011, 10:22 PM
Post #12 of 65 (12391 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Poll: Cinch or Grigri 2. You can only have one [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
aprice00 wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

Hince the poll.

+1. You don't need a new belay device. You need new belayers, and you'll likely be putting yourself in more danger by introducing a complex new device into the equation with incompetent partners.

Or you'll simply spend $90 bucks with little to no change.

A guy I climb with is not a very good belayer, in the sense that he will occasionally short rope, have too much slack out, or not give a soft catch. He recently switched from an ATC to a Cinch. He tends to short rope me a little less, but everything else is the same.

caughtinside

Mar 3, 2011, 10:27 PM
Post #13 of 65 (12381 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Poll: Cinch or Grigri 2. You can only have one [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:

Fwiw- I was a die hard Cinch fan (I own 3) and used it exclusively for years .

You're doing it wrong.

vegastradguy

Mar 3, 2011, 11:39 PM
Post #14 of 65 (12335 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Poll: Cinch or Grigri 2. You can only have one [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:

You're doing it wrong.

free stuff is never wrong, brother.

caughtinside

Mar 4, 2011, 12:10 AM
Post #15 of 65 (12322 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Poll: Cinch or Grigri 2. You can only have one [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:

You're doing it wrong.

free stuff is never wrong, brother.

You won't get any argument on that point from me!

aprice00

Mar 4, 2011, 3:25 AM
Post #16 of 65 (12257 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
aprice00 wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

Hince the poll.

Ok so I think this is a good time to make the distinction of incompetent and inexperienced.
I trust the people I climb with but some have more experience than others. If I climb with the latter of the two I make sure to talk to them while climbing and quiz them on what they should be doing. Remember you had to start somewhere too. Of course its not ideal to climb with one thats more of a noob than myself but with extra precautions it can be done in a safe manner.
So with that said I hear the warning of not switching up the equiptment and I completly agree. So that is noted and +1 point for the Cinch.

Now not being one to be hasty lets continue.

gmgggggg made a second valuable point about the aesthetics of the piece. Since I am personally fond of how the GG2 looks and thouroghly enjoy lady climbers with man hands asking to touch my equiptment.... +1 point for the Grigri, +1 point gmggg.

Because Vegastradguy recomended it .. +1 point for Grigri (He has THREE Cinchs!)

Now rope size.. On occasion I break out the mammut 9.8 but since I dont want to waste a good rope I usually TR on a bluewater 7/16. And thanks again to gmggggggggg I looked up the conversion and found Crazy That 11.1 is above the "Recomended"/"Optimum" rope size on both the Grigri 2 and Cinch (Respectivley). Thanks for making me think.
-1 point Grigri, -1 point Cinch, +1 point gmggg

This might also be the reason for the grabby issue
-1 Me

Shoo just coppied what everyone else was saying
-1 point Shoo

shoo

Mar 4, 2011, 3:36 AM
Post #17 of 65 (12249 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aprice00 wrote:
Ok so I think this is a good time to make the distinction of incompetent and inexperienced.
I trust the people I climb with but some have more experience than others. If I climb with the latter of the two I make sure to talk to them while climbing and quiz them on what they should be doing. Remember you had to start somewhere too. Of course its not ideal to climb with one thats more of a noob than myself but with extra precautions it can be done in a safe manner.
So with that said I hear the warning of not switching up the equiptment and I completly agree. So that is noted and +1 point for the Cinch.

gmgggggg made a second valuable point about the aesthetics of the piece. Since I am personally fond of how the GG2 looks and thouroghly enjoy lady climbers with man hands asking to touch my equiptment.... +1 point for the Grigri, +1 point gmggg.

Because Vegastradguy recomended it .. +1 point for Grigri (He has THREE Cinchs!)

Now rope size.. On occasion I break out the mammut 9.8 but since I dont want to waste a good rope I usually TR on a bluewater 7/16. And thanks again to gmggggggggg I looked up the conversion and found Crazy That 11.1 is above the "Recomended"/"Optimum" rope size on both the Grigri 2 and Cinch (Respectivley). Thanks for making me think.

-1 Me

-1 point Shoo

With a post like the above, I'm pretty happy to have negative points.

Quizzing? Seriously?

jbro_135

Mar 4, 2011, 4:29 AM
Post #18 of 65 (12228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
aprice00 wrote:

-1 Me

-1 point Shoo

With a post like the above, I'm pretty happy to have negative points.

Quizzing? Seriously?

I thought it was amusing so I gave it five stars. I thought your post was stupid, so I agreed with the person who already gave you three stars and added another 3-star rating to your mediocre post.

To the OP: go with the grigri2, it's new and shiny. Plus that metal bit on the cinch wears out before a gri gri ever will. gri gri fo lyfe yo

vegastradguy

Mar 4, 2011, 7:13 AM
Post #19 of 65 (12181 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbro_135] Poll: Cinch or Grigri 2. You can only have one [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dont use the grigri on anything bigger than an 11mm line, you'll bore it out over time and probably affect the devices ability to handle other diameter of ropes. Petzl makes some work devices that are more appropriate for your needs.

You might have a look at the new Sterling ATS- i just started testing mine and its pretty sweet- the ability to control friction and completely lock off is very nice for a hybrid 8/tube device.

gmggg

Mar 4, 2011, 3:45 PM
Post #20 of 65 (12118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aprice00 wrote:
shoo wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
aprice00 wrote:
shockabuku wrote:

Hince the poll.

-1 Me

-1 point Shoo

Woohoo! I win. But with judges like this, I don't know if I want to see the trophy...

FWIW I also agree with Shoo and everyone else's assessment of your belaying skill.

I guess if you're set on always using an 11mm line for TR then you're SOL for an autoblock device barring any of the aforementioned industrial options.

Or you could get an OG grigri and dedicate it to top roping on your fatty ropes.

aprice00

Mar 4, 2011, 4:51 PM
Post #21 of 65 (12086 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gmggg] Poll: Cinch or Grigri 2. You can only have one [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok so Im happy to say that I've made a decision. Ill be getting a Grigri 2 and only use it on the 9.8. I'll prob. use it from time to time on the fatty when being belayed by certain partners, but will limit this use.

Thanks to everyone that weighed in (even shoo). I appreciate your time and thoughts.

phang_nga

Mar 6, 2011, 2:44 AM
Post #22 of 65 (11935 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aprice00 wrote:
Ok so Im happy to say that I've made a decision. Ill be getting a Grigri 2 and only use it on the 9.8. I'll prob. use it from time to time on the fatty when being belayed by certain partners, but will limit this use.

Thanks to everyone that weighed in (even shoo). I appreciate your time and thoughts.

I use a variety of devices. I have a Grigri and use it sometimes, but I find myself using my ATC most of the time.

I do like the looks of this new Grigri 2. I also like the idea of being able to use it on smaller ropes. The price isn't very appealing.

I hope it's not as jerky as the first generation Grigri when lowering bigger climbers (which I am). It's not scary, just a tad annoying.

marc801

Mar 6, 2011, 7:10 AM
Post #23 of 65 (11878 views)
Shortcut

Re: [phang_nga] Poll: Cinch or Grigri 2. You can only have one [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phang_nga wrote:
I hope it's not as jerky as the first generation Grigri when lowering bigger climbers (which I am). It's not scary, just a tad annoying.
Once again, there is nothing inherent in these devices that cause jerky lowering. The only thing that causes that is incompetent belayers.

phang_nga

Mar 6, 2011, 12:24 PM
Post #24 of 65 (11838 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Poll: Cinch or Grigri 2. You can only have one [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
phang_nga wrote:
Once again, there is nothing inherent in these devices that cause jerky lowering. The only thing that causes that is incompetent belayers.

"Incompetent belayer?" Isn't that nice? Couldn't you have used a slightly less negative word, such as inexperienced?

When was the last time you lowered someone who weighs 215 - 220 Lbs?

I've been belaying people since the early '80s and I sometimes find the Grigri a tad jumpy.

Kartessa

Mar 6, 2011, 2:10 PM
Post #25 of 65 (11795 views)
Shortcut

Re: [phang_nga] Poll: Cinch or Grigri 2. You can only have one [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phang_nga wrote:
marc801 wrote:
phang_nga wrote:

"Incompetent belayer?" Isn't that nice? Couldn't you have used a slightly less negative word, such as inexperienced?

When was the last time you lowered someone who weighs 215 - 220 Lbs?

I've been belaying people since the early '80s and I sometimes find the Grigri a tad jumpy.

Oh the butthurtz... experience/competence can be relatively simillar, but there are people with plenty of experience who are still incompetent, wink wink.

If you're using the grigri properly, and your rope isn't twisted to shit, then you shouldn't be having jerky issues.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook