Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Rmsyll2

Mar 5, 2011, 6:35 AM
Post #1 of 37 (5408 views)
Shortcut

clean first time top-rope = ?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yes, I am ignorant, as we all are until more informed.

Is there an accepted term for doing a route top-rope clean first time that includes doing it clean first time, rather than simply dismissing top-rope as being unworthy of such distinctions?

milesenoell

Mar 5, 2011, 6:40 AM
Post #2 of 37 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rmsyll2] clean first time top-rope = ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

If you said you flashed it on TR, I think people would get the idea.

sbaclimber

Mar 5, 2011, 9:10 AM
Post #3 of 37 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rmsyll2 wrote:
dismissing top-rope as being unworthy of such distinctions?
^^ this

miles is right though, if you say something like, "I got it clean first try", then people will know what you mean. (and, if they are like me, will then tell you, "you should lead it" Tongue)

phang_nga

Mar 5, 2011, 12:46 PM
Post #4 of 37 (5348 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Rmsyll2 wrote:

Is there an accepted term for doing a route top-rope clean first time that includes doing it clean first time, rather than simply dismissing top-rope as being unworthy of such distinctions?

Sorry you feel like you'd get flamed for asking this question. There are a lot of pricks on this forum who seem to find pleasure in treating folks like they're idiots for asking questions.

I'd say 'job well-done'. A top-rope doesn't physically help you up a route. It does give mental comfort, but the actual climb, if not aided by the rope at all, is still a clean climb in my opinion. To lead it would be a bit more impressive as it would add the mental challenge as well.

Where do you normally climb?

jbro_135

Mar 5, 2011, 2:43 PM
Post #5 of 37 (5318 views)
Shortcut

Re: [milesenoell] clean first time top-rope = ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

milesenoell wrote:
If you said you flashed it on TR, I think people would get the idea.

Yeah that or "top roped it first try" or whatever

Just saying that you flashed it without mentioning the top rope part will imply you lead it. Not that it's not a job well done to top rope a climb, you just don't want to mislead people about your accomplishments.

Colinhoglund

Mar 5, 2011, 4:37 PM
Post #6 of 37 (5268 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rmsyll2 wrote:

I'd say I did it no fall first try on TR. Nothing else really needs be said. I don't need to spray about my accomplishments, I'm just out there having fun; and climbing something hard is just a bonus. I guess you could call it a 'green point' but it seems like nobody cares about Red, Pink, green, brown or whatever anymore. To me, I either lead it clean, or I didn't. And it's more about my own personal fulfillment than spraying that I flashed a 5-whatever.

notapplicable

Mar 5, 2011, 5:14 PM
Post #7 of 37 (5247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know someone who calls it a Tronsight. Not really an "official" term but it sums it up pretty nicely.

Partner abe_ascends

Mar 5, 2011, 7:45 PM
Post #8 of 37 (5215 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] clean first time top-rope = ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
I know someone who calls it a Tronsight. Not really an "official" term but it sums it up pretty nicely.

So if he/she had beta for the first successful attempt, would that be a "Trash?"

Tongue

Kartessa

Mar 6, 2011, 4:47 AM
Post #9 of 37 (5116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rmsyll2 wrote:

Yeah, I say "I toproped it" because if I didn't do it clean, it's not worth talkin about.

Kstenson

Mar 6, 2011, 6:16 AM
Post #10 of 37 (5082 views)
Shortcut

Re: [phang_nga] clean first time top-rope = ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phang_nga wrote:
Rmsyll2 wrote:

Sorry you feel like you'd get flamed for asking this question. There are a lot of pricks on this forum who seem to find pleasure in treating folks like they're idiots for asking questions.

I'd say 'job well-done'. A top-rope doesn't physically help you up a route. It does give mental comfort, but the actual climb, if not aided by the rope at all, is still a clean climb in my opinion. To lead it would be a bit more impressive as it would add the mental challenge as well.

Actually my friend, you are wrong; very wrong.

Have you ever even climbed lead?

Having to lock off on one arm and hold that position while you unclip a quickdraw from your harness, clip it into the bolt and then clip your rope into the draw makes climbing lead far more strenuous and tiring than top roping where you simply climb continuously except for rests.

I've just made the transition from Top roping to lead and it is a whole new level of pumped forearms and strained fingers.

(This post was edited by Kstenson on Mar 6, 2011, 6:17 AM)

Greggle

Mar 6, 2011, 10:24 AM
Post #11 of 37 (5032 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kstenson] clean first time top-rope = ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kstenson wrote:
phang_nga wrote:
Rmsyll2 wrote:

Having to lock off on one arm and hold that position while you unclip a quickdraw from your harness, clip it into the bolt and then clip your rope into the draw makes climbing lead far more strenuous and tiring than top roping where you simply climb continuously except for rests.

I've just made the transition from Top roping to lead and it is a whole new level of pumped forearms and strained fingers.

Have you ever even top-roped? 'Cause I'm pretty sure that's what folks is talkin' 'bout.

Nevertheless, props on your gnar-tacular transition to leading. You, sir/madam, are a beacon of inspiration.

Kstenson

Mar 6, 2011, 10:39 AM
Post #12 of 37 (5028 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Greggle] clean first time top-rope = ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

What are you even talking about?

Someone claimed that there is little difference in difficulty between top roping and lead which without being elitist at all is a ridiculous statement, so I explained why there is.

I wasn't looking for credits, take your sarcasm and shove it. I mentioned the transition from tope rope to leading to add credibility to my argument by showing I have actually experienced what I was talking about.

(This post was edited by Kstenson on Mar 6, 2011, 10:43 AM)

Greggle

Mar 6, 2011, 11:08 AM
Post #13 of 37 (5024 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kstenson wrote:

Someone claimed that there is little difference in difficulty between top roping and lead which without being elitist at all is a ridiculous statement, so I explained why there is.

Really? Who was it? The person you quoted originally?

Kstenson wrote:
I wasn't looking for credits, take your sarcasm and shove it. I mentioned the transition from tope rope to leading to add credibility to my argument by showing I have actually experienced what I was talking about.

Circulus in demonstrando???

phang_nga

Mar 6, 2011, 11:31 AM
Post #14 of 37 (5015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kstenson wrote:
phang_nga wrote:
Rmsyll2 wrote:

Yes sir, I lead all of the time. In fact, I lead trad quite often, which is much more stressful than leading sport as you tend to spend even more time in a 'strenuous' position. I've been leading trad since the early '80s in fact.

Still, the fact remains that on-sighting (proper term?) on top rope is still commendable. I also added, in case you noticed, that leading it would be more impressive.

Peace...

(This post was edited by phang_nga on Mar 6, 2011, 11:37 AM)

blueeyedclimber

Mar 6, 2011, 3:37 PM
Post #15 of 37 (4985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kstenson wrote:

In sport climbing, there is a marginal difference between leading and toproping. Yes, to record an onsite, flash, redpoint, whatever...you need to lead it. But seriously, once you are experienced leading you should not have much of a difference between the two. I probably lead the same as I top rope, maybe a letter apart.

Josh

Partner camhead

Mar 6, 2011, 4:28 PM
Post #16 of 37 (4966 views)
Shortcut

Re: [abe_ascends] clean first time top-rope = ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

abe_ascends wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

So if he/she had beta for the first successful attempt, would that be a "Trash?"

Tongue

Yup. Tronsite Trash, and if you get it on TR with rehearsal, then you just got the brownpoint.*

All of those fall under the definition of sending on TR, which climbers in the know simply call "GONGRADULATIONS!"

*"Brownpoint" may also refer to any climb in which a climber shits him/herself.

blueeyedclimber

Mar 6, 2011, 4:37 PM
Post #17 of 37 (4959 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] clean first time top-rope = ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:

With the brownpoint onsite being the most impressive of all sends. There's just something spectacular about being able to hold it together with a mess in your drawers Cool

Josh

robx

Mar 7, 2011, 1:43 AM
Post #18 of 37 (4888 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kstenson wrote:
phang_nga wrote:
Rmsyll2 wrote:

so does that mean that free soloing is easier than leading?

also, as someone else said, once you are good at leading, the difference is really marginal. especially if someone else is putting draws in front of you.

jbro_135

Mar 7, 2011, 2:05 AM
Post #19 of 37 (4877 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robx] clean first time top-rope = ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robx wrote:
Kstenson wrote:
phang_nga wrote:
Rmsyll2 wrote:

so does that mean that free soloing is easier than leading?

also, as someone else said, once you are good at leading, the difference is really marginal. especially if someone else is putting draws in front of you.

It might mean to free soloing is physically easier than leading. But then again it may be harder because you're climbing more deliberately and carefully. Either way, the dude is right, having to make a hard clip could be the difference in sending or not, even if it's only a tiny difference.

Colinhoglund

Mar 7, 2011, 5:35 AM
Post #20 of 37 (4833 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] clean first time top-rope = ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:

^^^^^^^ That was good. I can see it now. "Dude that route was so hard, I crapoed my pants man . . . on toprope."

curt

Mar 7, 2011, 6:04 AM
Post #21 of 37 (4812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Kstenson wrote:

Actually, nobody said that at all.

Kstenson wrote:
I wasn't looking for credits, take your sarcasm and shove it.

...and your ignorance surpasses his sarcasm by a country fucking mile.

Kstenson wrote:
I mentioned the transition from tope rope to leading to add credibility to my argument by showing I have actually experienced what I was talking about.

Yet all you have demonstrated is that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Curt

jt512

Mar 7, 2011, 7:10 AM
Post #22 of 37 (4795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kstenson wrote:
phang_nga wrote:
Rmsyll2 wrote:

One way to make the clip less strenuous would be not to unclip the draw from your harness while locked off. It's not like locking off helps you get the draw off your harness, is it?

In reply to:
I've just made the transition from Top roping to lead . . .

Has it occurred to you that as a beginning lead climber that you might not be as knowledgeable about the difference in difficulty between top roping and lead climbing as someone who has been lead climbing for many years?

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Mar 7, 2011, 7:13 AM)

enigma

Mar 7, 2011, 7:27 AM
Post #23 of 37 (4785 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] clean first time top-rope = ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Kstenson wrote:
phang_nga wrote:
Rmsyll2 wrote:

One way to make the clip less strenuous would be not to unclip the draw from your harness while locked off. It's not like locking off helps you get the draw off your harness, is it?

In reply to:

Has it occurred to you that as a beginning lead climber that you might not be as knowledgeable about the difference in difficulty between top roping and lead climbing as someone who has been lead climbing for many years?

Jay

You must have had a very good weekend, you seem nice.
Shocked

jt512

Mar 7, 2011, 7:38 AM
Post #24 of 37 (4779 views)
Shortcut

Re: [enigma] clean first time top-rope = ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

enigma wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Kstenson wrote:
phang_nga wrote:
Rmsyll2 wrote:

In reply to:

Jay

You must have had a very good weekend, you seem nice.
Shocked

Heh. I think you must have had a good weekend, if you perceived my post to be nice. Actually, I don't think it was un-nice at all, but that won't stop the haters from 1-starring it into oblivion.

As for my weekend, it wasn't exactly ideal. I had a "function" to attend Saturday evening, which ruled out climbing that day. For Sunday, I'd planned to go to New Jack, but my g/f "forgot" to set the alarm, so we overslept and ended up just going to the gym. Oh, well, the gym is better than nothing.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Mar 7, 2011, 7:41 AM)

Kstenson

Mar 7, 2011, 9:45 AM
Post #25 of 37 (4749 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] clean first time top-rope = ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You are correct, he did not explicitly state it but there was a clear implication in his post that the difference between top roping and lead climbing is mental.

No, I'm not ignorant. Despite all your years of experience and wisdom held superior to mine, I sincerely doubt that you and Jay can argue that to Top Rope a climb is harder and more tiring than to Lead a climb. That was my fundamental point.

And Jay, I understand that yes those with more experience in Lead climbing will have developed techniques too adjust and be a better judge, but does the fact that Lead climbing requires the benefit of experience far more than Top Roping not aid my point that it is fundamentally harder?

I'm not taking an elitist approach, do not twist my words. I'm simply stating that if you were to Climb the exact same climb via Top Rope and then by Lead, the Lead ascent would be harder.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook