Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Rumney Camping 2011 Update?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

sgodwin

Mar 21, 2011, 4:24 AM
Post #1 of 10 (8361 views)
Shortcut

Rumney Camping 2011 Update?  (North_America: United_States: New_Hampshire: Grafton_County: Rumney)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys,

There hasn't been an update on camping in Rumney here for a while, so I'm wondering if someone could provide some information for the rest of us?

From what I can tell, there are three good options, and I've only been to D Acres.

I'm hoping to find out: how campgroundy the other two places are (ie. picnic tables, metal fire pits, RVs, electricity, running water VS open field concept), what their pricing is, when they are open (I'm planning a mid-April trip), and generally what are your impressions of the places? Would a group of 10 enjoy themselves there?

D Acres
-$10/person/night, $2 showers
-open field camping, bathrooms available
-busy weekends crowded, but other than that okay
-bonfires at night
-open year round
-far away; must drive to crag!

Mountain Pine Campground
-$30/night for 2 adults & 2 children; $10 extra per additional adult (from website)
-group rates available
-open year round
-???

Red House
-??

Just_Climbing

Mar 21, 2011, 4:29 AM
Post #2 of 10 (8359 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sgodwin] Rumney Camping 2011 Update? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have not camped there in a couple of years, but across the street from the parking lot was only $7 last time I was there and it is a perfect place to camp.

sgodwin

Mar 21, 2011, 4:32 AM
Post #3 of 10 (8351 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Just_Climbing] Rumney Camping 2011 Update? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just_Climbing wrote:
I have not camped there in a couple of years, but across the street from the parking lot was only $7 last time I was there and it is a perfect place to camp.
Thanks for the reply! I know it's been a while, but do you remember when in the year you camped there? I've heard that the red house across the street doesn't accept campers early in the year. Did you just knock on the front door during the day?

I wonder if it's still $7 hmm, that sounds pretty ideal.

Just_Climbing

Mar 21, 2011, 5:04 AM
Post #4 of 10 (8341 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would contact Wonderwoman or Jakedatc for specifics. They are more familiar with the owners. I camped there in June. I live only 45 minutes from Rumney, so I have only camped there once.

Schnoufpoof

Apr 10, 2011, 3:49 PM
Post #5 of 10 (8171 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Just_Climbing] Rumney Camping 2011 Update? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Just Climbing

I'm hoping to come down to Rumney for easter week-end, but I'm not sure if all the snow will be gone and if we will be able to climb.

Since you live not too far from there, you can maybe help me?

Thanks!

Partner jammer

Apr 10, 2011, 10:31 PM
Post #6 of 10 (8138 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Schnoufpoof] Rumney Camping 2011 Update? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Schnoufpoof wrote:
Hi Just Climbing

I'm hoping to come down to Rumney for easter week-end, but I'm not sure if all the snow will be gone and if we will be able to climb.

Since you live not too far from there, you can maybe help me?

Thanks!
So you won't think that I am hijacking Just Climbing's post, I had to sign in with that name until my original name was reactivated. Just Climbing & Jammer are the same.

I was at Rumney today and there was still snow in the shady areas. The camping area across the street from the parking lot is not open yet. in fact, the whole field is snow covered. There is a local camping ground that is passing around cards today. Found one on my windshield. The place is called Mountain Pines Campground (603-786-9955). They are right up the road from Rumney on Rt 25. They seem to be either open or just hunting for business.

What else would you like to know?

(This post was edited by jammer on Apr 11, 2011, 12:53 AM)

newrivermike

Apr 10, 2011, 11:05 PM
Post #7 of 10 (8132 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jammer] Rumney Camping 2011 Update? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jammer, I posted in another forum asking about the conditions but no one answered me and since you were there recently...How are the conditions in terms of dryness. I know we had a really wet spring here at the New and a lot of the rock is seeping badly. I wouldn't mind seeing snow. It was 80 here today! So how dry are the routes. Specifically Waimea and other overhanging areas. I was hoping the overhangs would be dry but sometimes they seep worse than the faces. Thanks!

edge

Apr 10, 2011, 11:41 PM
Post #8 of 10 (8121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [newrivermike] Rumney Camping 2011 Update? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

newrivermike wrote:
Jammer, I posted in another forum asking about the conditions but no one answered me and since you were there recently...How are the conditions in terms of dryness. I know we had a really wet spring here at the New and a lot of the rock is seeping badly. I wouldn't mind seeing snow. It was 80 here today! So how dry are the routes. Specifically Waimea and other overhanging areas. I was hoping the overhangs would be dry but sometimes they seep worse than the faces. Thanks!

I was at Rumney yesterday, and there is more than enough dry rock. The Meadows, 5.8 Crag, Monsters, Darth Vader and Upper Vader, Bonsai, Waimea, Jimmy Cliff, and Crows Nest were all dry (very small percentage of the routes had seepage) and damned near perfect. These are just the areas that I either climbed on or visited, all had multiple parties on them.

There is limited snow on the new approach trail that parallels the road, but as you go higher up the mountainside the trails had progressively less (almost no) snow due to the south facing aspect. Have a blast.

(This post was edited by edge on Apr 11, 2011, 12:03 AM)

Partner jammer

Apr 11, 2011, 12:07 AM
Post #9 of 10 (8112 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Rumney Camping 2011 Update? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
newrivermike wrote:

I was at Rumney yesterday, and there is more than enough dry rock. The Meadows, 5.8 Crag, Monsters, Darth Vader and Upper Vader, Bonsai, Waimea, Jimmy Cliff, and Crows Nest were all dry and damned near perfect. These are just the areas that I either climbed on or visited, all had multiple parties on them.

There is limited snow on the new approach trail that parallels the road, but as you go higher up the mountainside the trails had progressively less (almost no) snow due to the south facing aspect. Have a blast.
What Edge said!

BTW, I noticed that there is a shortcut to Waimea! Nice ... but did not take it. Nice stairs and all. I like what they are doing for the trails and hope they will be able to finish them this year. Sure beats walking the road.

As for snow, there are only a few patches on the path, including a little ice down in the lower elevations, but that will be gone soon. All the areas I climbed seemed pretty dry. You'll have more then enough to climb, no matter what grade you climb at. All the overhanging stuff I saw were dry.

lisagrussell

Sep 23, 2011, 2:19 PM
Post #10 of 10 (7071 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mountain Pines Campground is open until the snow falls.
Prices are $10.00 pp per night. You can't beat this price. Private sites , picnic table, fire pit, and free hot shower! No Reservations needed! We always have plenty of sites. Any questions call Lisa @ 603-786-9955.

Located just 2 miles from Rumney Rocks!

Address:
2759 Rte 25
Rumney NH 03266

Hope to see you soon!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook