Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

jakedatc

Mar 30, 2011, 3:23 AM
Post #76 of 102 (9958 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mattm] GriGri2 issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

mattm wrote:
jakedatc wrote:

I started this thread because i didn't think many people knew about it and didn't think that Petzl would have release a product with that kind of a flaw. I was incorrect.

Petzl knows about the problem, they have chosen to ignore it and produce it anyway. Contacting them would be pointless.

Lets cut to the chase here. It's not a flaw period end of story. There's no safety issue At ALL.

A flaw would be something where the device fails to perform as designed.

People just don't like a usage/performance limitation that the GG1 did not have. Fine. Petzl could have added that in a manual but chose instead to have it as a supplement online. 10 pages in English would be one he'll of an addendum given the multilingual nature of instructions found in the box.

Let's stop calling it a design flaw [sky falling] and instead say there's a change in it's "manual of arms" that you don't like.

So this is how the gri gri 2 is supposed to look while in operation? Funny because it looks like it is locked up and stuck against a sharp edge to me.

keep gargling petzl's balls matt.. it is a flaw. It should not be able to happen, it is not a correct situation.

mattm

Mar 30, 2011, 3:46 AM
Post #77 of 102 (9945 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] GriGri2 issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
mattm wrote:
jakedatc wrote:

I started this thread because i didn't think many people knew about it and didn't think that Petzl would have release a product with that kind of a flaw. I was incorrect.

Petzl knows about the problem, they have chosen to ignore it and produce it anyway. Contacting them would be pointless.

Lets cut to the chase here. It's not a flaw period end of story. There's no safety issue At ALL.

A flaw would be something where the device fails to perform as designed.

People just don't like a usage/performance limitation that the GG1 did not have. Fine. Petzl could have added that in a manual but chose instead to have it as a supplement online. 10 pages in English would be one he'll of an addendum given the multilingual nature of instructions found in the box.

Let's stop calling it a design flaw [sky falling] and instead say there's a change in it's "manual of arms" that you don't like.

So this is how the gri gri 2 is supposed to look while in operation? Funny because it looks like it is locked up and stuck against a sharp edge to me.

[image]http://neilshaulbag.smugmug.com/photos/1178572189_QZuCi-M.jpg[/image]

keep gargling petzl's balls matt.. it is a flaw. It should not be able to happen, it is not a correct situation.

Using that same logic I could say that nearly all locking biners are flawed because the gate could get caught on my belay loop and be cross loaded.

The advice I quoted above from rgold is worth another read.

notapplicable

Mar 30, 2011, 4:12 AM
Post #78 of 102 (9936 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Although I do consider it a design flaw, it does not appear to be a safety issue and (after reading this thread) is not something that changes my mind about wanting to own one.

I still think the biggest problem with all this is the way Petzl has handled the issue to date. They should not be leaving their customers to get surprised by this in the field. Although apparently straightforward to clear, it is pretty spooky looking at first glance. Fact is, Petzl dropped the ball.

Partner j_ung

Mar 30, 2011, 12:51 PM
Post #79 of 102 (9873 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] GriGri2 issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been wondering if maybe I should buy a few old-style Gri-gris and just hang on to them for a few years.

shoo

Mar 30, 2011, 1:19 PM
Post #80 of 102 (9855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
Although I do consider it a design flaw, it does not appear to be a safety issue and (after reading this thread) is not something that changes my mind about wanting to own one.

I still think the biggest problem with all this is the way Petzl has handled the issue to date. They should not be leaving their customers to get surprised by this in the field. Although apparently straightforward to clear, it is pretty spooky looking at first glance. Fact is, Petzl dropped the ball.

+ 1

Partner macherry

Mar 30, 2011, 2:54 PM
Post #81 of 102 (9803 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] GriGri2 issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
I've been wondering if maybe I should buy a few old-style Gri-gris and just hang on to them for a few years.

they've been popping up every few days or so on steep and cheap

Partner angry

Mar 30, 2011, 3:18 PM
Post #82 of 102 (9786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry Jake, I just can't see the little rope flip as an issue. Not even a little bit, it simply is only worth mentioning and moving on.

The 2 will ultimately get a bad name due to it's durability. I'd love to see a hardness test, I think the aluminum is softer than on the original and in direct comparison is thinner. I'd be in love with the damn thing if that gold plate was steel. Weight on a sport device is not a factor.

shotwell

Mar 30, 2011, 3:26 PM
Post #83 of 102 (9773 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] GriGri2 issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If I hadn't received mine as a gift, I'd be concerned about the durability. As it stands now, I have two original GriGris waiting for use after I wear through my 2. All things told, I imagine I have something like 20 years of GriGris stored up and waiting. When those wear out, I would definitely buy a GriGri(3?) with a steel friction plate. That thing would have a virtually unlimited life span and, as you said, weight is really irrelevant for this device.

mattm

Mar 30, 2011, 6:28 PM
Post #84 of 102 (9664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
Sorry Jake, I just can't see the little rope flip as an issue. Not even a little bit, it simply is only worth mentioning and moving on.

The 2 will ultimately get a bad name due to it's durability. I'd love to see a hardness test, I think the aluminum is softer than on the original and in direct comparison is thinner. I'd be in love with the damn thing if that gold plate was steel. Weight on a sport device is not a factor.

Are you seeing the "premature" wear on the cam or side plates? Elsewhere? Pictures? In my experience with a GG1, the two spots to look at where the rolled lip of the side plate or the aluminum "pinch plate" opposite the cam. The only GG1s I ever retired were GYM Top Rope ones.

My original and still in good condition GG1 is going on 18 years old now. I figure it's got another 20 in it since it'll now split time with my GG2.

(This post was edited by mattm on Mar 30, 2011, 6:54 PM)

shotwell

Mar 30, 2011, 6:32 PM
Post #85 of 102 (9655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Matt,

Thanks for trying to bring some sanity to the GG2 thread. Who would have known that an easy to fix 'problem' could be such a tempest in a teapot?

Anyway, thanks for stepping in and taking some heat. I definitely think it is important to stop the kind of fear-mongering mentality we saw in this thread.

Edited to add: I see early wear on the aluminum side plate. I'll let Angry speak for himself.

(This post was edited by shotwell on Mar 30, 2011, 6:35 PM)

Partner cracklover

Mar 30, 2011, 7:12 PM
Post #86 of 102 (9629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

angry wrote:

Different devices have different flaws. The flaw in the original Gri Gri was that no-one ever had to buy a second one because it lasted 20+ years. They fixed that in the new version. Wink

All kidding aside - I don't buy VTG's point that you need to "mind the device" better. You simply can't mind your device while boinking. It may be that with the new device, boinking simply won't work well. That's unfortunate, and it's up to Petzl whether they think that will have a big enough impact on consumers to change the design a little (if that's even possible to do without causing other issues).

GO

spikeddem

Mar 30, 2011, 7:16 PM
Post #87 of 102 (9625 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] GriGri2 issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
angry wrote:

Different devices have different flaws. The flaw in the original Gri Gri was that no-one ever had to buy a second one because it lasted 20+ years. They fixed that in the new version. Wink

All kidding aside - I don't buy VTG's point that you need to "mind the device" better. You simply can't mind your device while boinking. It may be that with the new device, boinking simply won't work well. That's unfortunate, and it's up to Petzl whether they think that will have a big enough impact on consumers to change the design a little (if that's even possible to do without causing other issues).

GO
Tonight I'm trying my damndest to see how everyone is getting this issue to happen with their batmanning/boinking.

jt512

Mar 30, 2011, 7:34 PM
Post #88 of 102 (9614 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] GriGri2 issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
cracklover wrote:
angry wrote:

GO
Tonight I'm trying my damndest to see how everyone is getting this issue to happen with their batmanning/boinking.

If you can't get the rope caught by boinking, could you put it in that configuration intentionally, and then check how difficult it is to fix with the rope under tension, and let us know?

Jay

jakedatc

Mar 30, 2011, 7:40 PM
Post #89 of 102 (9605 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] GriGri2 issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
angry wrote:

GO

i posted on petzl's facebook site and their response was that while it is an annoyance it was not a safety issue and i don't foresee any changes.

shoo

Mar 30, 2011, 7:55 PM
Post #90 of 102 (9590 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] GriGri2 issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

If you can't get the rope caught by boinking, could you put it in that configuration intentionally, and then check how difficult it is to fix with the rope under tension, and let us know?

Jay

+1. I am vaguely considering replacing my cinch with the grigri2. Been playing with my friend's GG2. Gotta say, really like it. Far less fiddly than the cinch, miles easier to lower, generally more predictable.

This issue seems like a minor irritation to me rather than a deal breaker, though I would be very irritated if it jammed while I was flinging myself upward for boinking, crashing me back into the ground quicker than expected.

My speculation is that this issue was discovered relatively late in the development process (post first production batch, maybe?) and decided it wasn't enough of an issue to warrant redesign. I suspect they tested the crap out of it first to reach this conclusion. At the moment I don't have any reason to believe that they were doing something wrong releasing it into the public as it stands. However, seems like this issue could have been addressed with a simple nesting plate coming off the lever arm. More weight certainly, but at this point, worrying about weight in sport climbing is laughable.

I also have to agree with whoever pointed out that with the recent nomic issues, it seems like Petzl isn't spending quite enough time testing this stuff in the real world. In general, I think Petzl is one of the most consistent and trustworthy brands out there. However, these recent issues have been worrisome.

(This post was edited by shoo on Mar 30, 2011, 7:56 PM)

patto

Mar 30, 2011, 7:55 PM
Post #91 of 102 (9589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And how is this a problem? Has sport climbing really made people so dumb that they can release a belay device?

Jooler

Mar 30, 2011, 8:47 PM
Post #92 of 102 (9549 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] GriGri2 issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

After reading this thread, I tried exactly that the other day. Couldn't get the rope to become caught while using a 10.5 rope. I think this issue would pertain to thinner ropes. I proceeded to put the rope manually behind the arm to test how hard it was to fix. While weighted, a simple tug of the brake strand was enough to shift the angle of the GG2 and pop the rope out from behind. No biggy.

majid_sabet

Mar 30, 2011, 9:00 PM
Post #93 of 102 (9533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

RC is the number one place to bring up GG's issues and believe it or not, petzl monitors this site like a junk yard dog looking to catch any sort of trouble that may hurt mighty petzl

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Mar 30, 2011, 10:02 PM)

jbro_135

Mar 30, 2011, 9:28 PM
Post #94 of 102 (9508 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] GriGri2 issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
RC is the number one place to bring up GG's issues and believe it or not, petzl monitors this site like a gunk yard dog looking to catch any sort of trouble that may hurt mighty petzl

i get it

Partner camhead

Mar 30, 2011, 9:30 PM
Post #95 of 102 (9506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
... like a gunk yard dog looking to catch any sort of trouble that may hurt mighty petzl

hehe. was this an intentional misspelling?

wannabe

Mar 30, 2011, 9:55 PM
Post #96 of 102 (9483 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] GriGri2 issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I say keep an eye out while using the grigri2 right now. I had the opportunity to use a friends grigri2 on sat at the Garden of the Gods, it is a very sandy area and that might have contributed to the hiccup. I was rappelling with the grigri2 after a two pitch route because I left my atc in the car, midway through the first rappel the device locked up. I was hanging by the device and inspecting it while trying to pull the lever open. I was applying enough force that I thought I might break the handle/device. The rope looked as if it was trying to wedge between the plate and cam. I had a sharp bend over the lip of the grigri2 and moved the rope up and away from the lip to free the blockage. I didn't have a problem after that but I was a little concerned as to why the device blocked, and the amount of force I was applying to the lever without any rope movement.

BTW I was using a beal joker 9.1mm

(This post was edited by wannabe on Mar 30, 2011, 10:08 PM)

climbtheplanet

Apr 11, 2011, 6:09 AM
Post #97 of 102 (9303 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:

Agreed.

A few points:

1). Honestly, after reading through the thread, all this kind of makes me want to buy both (I've borrowed for an embarrassingly long time)! Heck, just buy one from Backcountry or REI and if the thing scares you get your money back.

2). People keep saying the GriGri is a sport climbing device and seem to forget that locking-assist belay devices have basically become, if not mandatory, at least very deeply rooted tools in the aid and route development world. You would not catch me on a wall without a GriGri, period. I have used Eddy's a bunch and much prefer the GriGri. I can see how this issue may be enough of a nuisance that I would want the original on a wall while using fatter more durable ropes, but I would like the 2 for the better control of the thinner ropes I use while sport climbing, which is the other major improvement besides weight and size. Oh, what a conundrum. . .

3). Batmanning is definitely yarding on the belay side rope to gain height and boinging is pulling up on the climber side, quickly letting go so the belayer can take any slack possible - used when the belayer side rope is unreachable (a maneuver that would result in a "boing" noise in any self-respecting cartoon). I thought that was common knowledge. . .but maybe I just hangdog way to much.Smile

healyje

Apr 11, 2011, 6:35 AM
Post #98 of 102 (9297 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
RC is the number one place to bring up GG's issues and believe it or not, petzl monitors this site like a junk yard dog looking to catch any sort of trouble that may hurt mighty petzl

I agree, if someone on RC can't screw the gg2 pooch in some new and remarkable way Petzl could never think of then no one can.

tower_climber

Apr 11, 2011, 10:24 AM
Post #99 of 102 (9266 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wannabe] GriGri2 issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wannabe wrote:
I was rappelling with the grigri2 after a two pitch route because I left my atc in the car

IIRC, the GriGri2 instructions do not include any mention of rappelling technique or indication that the device is designed to be used for rappelling. The original did include these references. It is my understanding that Petzl does not endorse the GriGri2 as a rappelling device.

gosharks

Apr 11, 2011, 11:20 AM
Post #100 of 102 (9259 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tower_climber] GriGri2 issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tower_climber wrote:
wannabe wrote:
I was rappelling with the grigri2 after a two pitch route because I left my atc in the car

IIRC, the GriGri2 instructions do not include any mention of rappelling technique or indication that the device is designed to be used for rappelling. The original did include these references. It is my understanding that Petzl does not endorse the GriGri2 as a rappelling device.
http://www.petzl.com/files/all/product-experience/SPORT/GRIGRI2/PE_D14-GRIGRI%202_EN.pdf
Page 14.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook